ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Bob Pruett time

It took all day to raise a meager 50k goal with hundreds of donors.

You've openly bragged about not donating to the programs to "send a message"... But someone else should just cut a 50k check to buy a QB?
Not true, Raleigh. It took a good bit of the day to get the goal, and then in the last couple of hours, a couple of anonymous donors pumped it up to over 100k!! Pretty damn impressive, if you ask me……

It took all day to raise a meager 50k goal with hundreds of donors.

You've openly bragged about not donating to the programs to "send a message"... But someone else should just cut a 50k check to buy a QB?
ONE person donated 23k.....

Well, there we have it. What I am getting at is we don't have any relationships where they go to a money dude or business or whatever and say I need some money to get a quarterback. Nobody will do that? Hell some of these people have to be giving money to the school or BIg Green. Why not refocus it? These damn scholarships don't cost the school a thing other than on paper. Those student athletes are not taking a spot at the school from someone else. Just write the damn scholarship off. The Big Green and things like that are outdated. You need money not for scholarships you need money to get good players or better players now.

That is what I am trying to understand here. If Joe Blow is giving 50 grand to the Big Green or 10 grand or 500 bucks why not take that and use it for NIL deals? What do these scholarships cost a public shool? It is just a shell game. Ok, you can go to class for free. Here are some books(do they even use books anymore). Hell, just take the class on-line. Here is your C or B. Take the money and get players.

Is someonone out selling this? Maybe they should ask.

Speaking of that look what Coastal is doing.

Coastal Carolina's first NIL collective is closing. Why it could hurt CCU going forward. Coastal Carolina University's first name, image and likeness collective for CCU football will be no more by the end of 2023, dealing a blow to CCU's continuing efforts to compete at the national level.

It goes on to say players can get private deals on their own.

Because the schools aren't supposed to be in the business of NIL. That's not what Athletic Depts are in the business to do: "Funnel $$ to QBs". Christ, you admit you dont want to donate to pay players....yet you expect someone else to do it for no return on that investment.

Big green helps cover the cost of ALL athletes while at the Marshall. Not just football players. Suggesting that cost just be written off is....hilarious. That cost must be picked by someone. That's not the NILs purpose.

The entity that represented Coastals NIL is probably closing because it didn't make money. Again, ALL entities have to make a profit in order to function. There is no profit it "funneling $$ to QBs"

Because the schools aren't supposed to be in the business of NIL. That's not what Athletic Depts are in the business to do: "Funnel $$ to QBs". Christ, you admit you dont want to donate to pay players....yet you expect someone else to do it for no return on that investment.

Big green helps cover the cost of ALL athletes while at the Marshall. Not just football players. Suggesting that cost just be written off is....hilarious. That cost must be picked by someone. That's not the NILs purpose.

The entity that represented Coastals NIL is probably closing because it didn't make money. Again, ALL entities have to make a profit in order to function. There is no profit it "funneling $$ to QBs"
I don't donate to the Dallas Cowboys either. I don't donate to the local AAA farm team. I don't expect anyone else to do it. My point is schools can't rest on their laurels in asking for money. I stopped donating to college athletes because I don't feel compelled to. I would rather give to someone else like wounded veterans oganizations or other charities like that. I am not worried about giving toa D1 athlete to help them get a scholarship. I am not asking anyone to pay for it.

Schools like Marshall not be in the business of the NIL but they need to learn to play the game. You don't think Nick Saban or Kirby Smart are not working with local business people or donors to make sure their players get money? Texas? Sure they are. Does Marshall have to be that? No of course not but I can't imagine that Alabama and Texas are just hoping someone is going to make sure their qb and lineman are getting something. I would almost guaranteed their coaches and admin are calling up their buddies and asking for it.

Reactions: The Real SamC
"Marshall Reynolds, Mike Perry, Kenny Grant, . . . throwing money around. . ." Is that you, Dave Ridpath??

Not true, Raleigh. It took a good bit of the day to get the goal, and then in the last couple of hours, a couple of anonymous donors pumped it up to over 100k!! Pretty damn impressive, if you ask me……
I think $50k of that was a match if $50k was raised.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Blasphemy! According to one armchair expert on here.......this never happened! Right @The Real SamC ???
Liar. You posted a totally false tale about your secret involvement in some conspiracy. It is, of course, totally contradicted by the NCAA report. The fault of the "mops for props" falls on one person, the incompetent compliance director, who testified that he had never actually read the manual.

BP is here for discussion because he has no "show cause order". In other words, he was cleared. I know that, all Marshall fans know that.

You don't. Because you were not involved. You just made up some tall tale on the internet, and got called on it.

The 90s happened. BP is a Marshall hero.

I am not worried about giving toa D1 athlete to help them get a scholarship. I am not asking anyone to pay for it.
Yes you are. You dont want to do it, but you expect others to do it for no return. You just finished saying this:

" What I am getting at is we don't have any relationships where they go to a money dude or business or whatever and say I need some money to get a quarterback. Nobody will do that?"
Unfortunately, this is the typical Marshall fan. They want talent. They want success. But...someone else can pay for it. Marshall should "learn" to play the game, just dont ask me because I'm not going to give you money.
I can't imagine that Alabama and Texas are just hoping someone is going to make sure their qb and lineman are getting something.
And neither is Marshall. They are actively soliciting donations and financial commitments. Unfortunately, increased numbers of "fans" have this attitude: "I stopped donating to college athletes because I don't feel compelled to." Again, you choose to do what you want with your money, that's fine....just stop bitching about the poor state of Marshall sports and the team's talent that is hitting the fields of play.

Yes you are. You dont want to do it, but you expect others to do it for no return. You just finished saying this:

" What I am getting at is we don't have any relationships where they go to a money dude or business or whatever and say I need some money to get a quarterback. Nobody will do that?"
Unfortunately, this is the typical Marshall fan. They want talent. They want success. But...someone else can pay for it. Marshall should "learn" to play the game, just dont ask me because I'm not going to give you money.

And neither is Marshall. They are actively soliciting donations and financial commitments. Unfortunately, increased numbers of "fans" have this attitude: "I stopped donating to college athletes because I don't feel compelled to." Again, you choose to do what you want with your money, that's fine....just stop bitching about the poor state of Marshall sports and the team's talent that is hitting the fields of play.
Has anyone asked why people don't feel compelled to? All I am saying or asking is Marshall trying to get NIL deals or are they just saying it doesn't exists?

Look, they turned college sports into the pro leagues. Marshall can get either try to figure it out or they can fall behind their peers. The schools that are competitive from now on are going to figure it out.

As I stated in another thread major college football is headed towards a trajectory that is going to pass the NFL is size and scope. The totality of it. THey won't compete with the NFL but overall it stands a shot at becoming bigger. People want a winner. They want excitement.

about your secret involvement in some conspiracy.
Do you try to be a moron? I wasn't "involved". I didn't lie, LOL. I personally knew players on the teams getting paid to be at Marshall during the Donnan and early Pruett years. You dont want to accept that. OK. Dont. It was going on. Jim and Bobby had the plausible deniability. No way some of those players/recruits would have ever come to Marshall University without $$ incentive.

Do you try to be a moron? I wasn't "involved". I didn't lie, LOL. I personally knew players on the teams getting paid to be at Marshall during the Donnan and early Pruett years. You dont want to accept that. OK. Dont. It was going on. Jim and Bobby had the plausible deniability. No way some of those players/recruits would have ever come to Marshall University without $$ incentive.
I think pretty much everyone around the area knew things that were going on. LOL. All schools do it.

I delivered some equipment to UK one time and a professor showed me where the local house for their players were that let's say had very friendly ladies waiting for them there.

Do you try to be a moron? I wasn't "involved". I didn't lie, LOL.
So now you deny the post you made, what, a week ago.
I personally knew players on the teams getting paid to be at Marshall during the Donnan and early Pruett years.
The NCAA says different. They were there.

You were not. If you were, you are guilty of conspiracy.

You are not, because you were not involved.

No one was, except for the incompetent compliance director.
Jim and Bobby had the plausible deniability.
Ahh, so now, having been called on it, you further allege a further conspiracy

Nope. The NCAA report totally clears BP. JD was long gone before the period the report covers.

You made up a tall tale. You got called on it.

Really that simple.

So, Sam & raleigh - do neither of you see how sophomoric, nay bouncy house stupid you both appear?
Do explain my sophomoric explanation? I explained my knowledge of events having been friends with many of the team members of that era. My story never changed. Some posters agree with what I said. Sammy rambles on moronically about "guilty of conspiracy" nonsense.

Do you have anything you would like to add as far as events of that time? If not, you dont have to read. Move on.

Guarantee he would have thrived in it. Now we have coaches and players and others bitching that they can't find NIL money. Bob Pruett had the relationships. He worked the crowd and the community.

Doubtful. Very doubtful MU would have kept up with the money being thrown out there for players even lower than the caliber of team you're referencing.

I don't donate to the Dallas Cowboys either. I don't donate to the local AAA farm team. I don't expect anyone else to do it. My point is schools can't rest on their laurels in asking for money. I stopped donating to college athletes because I don't feel compelled to. I would rather give to someone else like wounded veterans oganizations or other charities like that. I am not worried about giving toa D1 athlete to help them get a scholarship. I am not asking anyone to pay for it.

Schools like Marshall not be in the business of the NIL but they need to learn to play the game. You don't think Nick Saban or Kirby Smart are not working with local business people or donors to make sure their players get money? Texas? Sure they are. Does Marshall have to be that? No of course not but I can't imagine that Alabama and Texas are just hoping someone is going to make sure their qb and lineman are getting something. I would almost guaranteed their coaches and admin are calling up their buddies and asking for it.

Soooo...

You stopped donating to college athletes, I presume that means you're not donating to MU Athletics...
But yet here you are, getting mad over how MU is doing it?
Typical.

"Ah! Why can't MU be like everyone else? I hate how the few who donate are in charge of everything!"
"No, I won't donate to MU! They are not up to my standards."
"Why doesn't MU talk to me?! The little guy of the world?!"

Raleigh is right, the MU BG and AD cover the costs of ALL athletes and programs, their health, facilities, and access to whatever they need.
You do realize MU BG also helps with distribution of funds for other programs, so the AD can have money to build, ya know a baseball field or soccer stadium.

By your logic, MU will have good athletes playing in crumbling facilities.
If that be the case, don't ever complain about MU's facilities or their condition, or the urinals in the stadium.

Gotta love the fans...
They want a rich person to do all the finances, then complain when the school and rich person don't do it the way they think it should be done, then tout how they should have a voice and how right they are in the process.

Soooo...

You stopped donating to college athletes, I presume that means you're not donating to MU Athletics...
But yet here you are, getting mad over how MU is doing it?
Typical.

"Ah! Why can't MU be like everyone else? I hate how the few who donate are in charge of everything!"
"No, I won't donate to MU! They are not up to my standards."
"Why doesn't MU talk to me?! The little guy of the world?!"

Raleigh is right, the MU BG and AD cover the costs of ALL athletes and programs, their health, facilities, and access to whatever they need.
You do realize MU BG also helps with distribution of funds for other programs, so the AD can have money to build, ya know a baseball field or soccer stadium.

By your logic, MU will have good athletes playing in crumbling facilities.
If that be the case, don't ever complain about MU's facilities or their condition, or the urinals in the stadium.

Gotta love the fans...
They want a rich person to do all the finances, then complain when the school and rich person don't do it the way they think it should be done, then tout how they should have a voice and how right they are in the process.
It is nothing personal against Marshall. But, I started to have a problem with it when you start learning how these college and universities are scamming people and what they are doing on campus(not just Marshall but all of them and some worse than others). Colleges have become a scam. Plus, brainswashing people.

I think $50k of that was a match if $50k was raised.
Herd Family,

Just wanted to say a personal THANK YOU for supporting Big Green's Giving Tuesday initiative. After tallying numbers a couple weeks ago, we were thrilled to set a new record, clocking in at $103,670...raised all in one day! Did you know we were one of THREE schools in the entire Sunbelt Conference to run an athletics' Giving Tuesday initiative? And of those schools (JMU and Coastal Carolina), Marshall had the highest gift average per donor rate. Not to toot our own horn or anything... 😉

Hannah Shepard, Prospect Development Coordinator
Big Green

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT