Ivy League Students Are a Bunch of Babies

wvkeeper(HN)

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 4, 2007
Muswell Hillbilly
Harvard Law students also demand exam delay due to Ferguson and Garner

Posted by William A. Jacobson Monday, December 8, 2014 at 5:15pm

"This is more than a personal emergency. This is a national emergency."

Columbia University Law School has granted exam extensions to students who feel under stress due to the failure of Grand Juries to indict in the deaths of Michael Brown and Eric Garner.
Now students at my alma mater, Harvard Law School, are demanding similar treatment, as well as excoriating the HLS administration for not publicly feeling their pain.
The Coalition at Harvard Law School created a website for the exchange of letters.

Link

I hate lawyers. Especially ivy league lawyers. Bunch of educated weirdos. Most are super intelligent, but don't have the common sense to wipe their own ass.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by ThunderCat98:
I hate lawyers. Especially ivy league lawyers. Bunch of educated weirdos. Most are super intelligent, but don't have the common sense to wipe their own ass.

I need a day off because that stresses me.

Most are super intelligent
Yeah, but they're not using it for anything math or science related so they're just wasting it. I have way more respect for the MIT crowd.

(except for Olen, he's cool)

clap-clap-clap-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2242.gif

Hell, if anything let them take the day off to celebrate how perverted they've made the system. Go balls deep. Raise a glass to Dionysus.

This may piss people off but I have some experience in this area...so here goes.

1. Law students, as a rule, are not really that smart. They memorize well, but only an elite group are real thinkers and leaders. I agree with the poster above, I respect the engineers and science majors more.

2. People who go to Harvard & Yale, etc. are not that much smarter than the average college student. In many cases, they simply have more opportunities. Are they dumb? Hell no, but let's not exaggerate this...they are often just fortunate (GW went to Yale for example).

Lastly, extending or delaying exams is F'ing stupid! Are you freaking kidding? Who ever granted this delay should be fired - immediately!

Originally posted by WiiWii:
2. People who go to Harvard & Yale, etc. are not that much smarter than the average college student. In many cases, they simply have more opportunities. Are they dumb? Hell no, but let's not exaggerate this...they are often just fortunate (GW went to Yale for example).

you truly are one dumb mother fvcker.

if by "more opportunities," you mean "much better educated because those students getting into the ivy league schools are head-and-shoulders more intelligent than the average college student,? you would be right. if you meant anything else, you are a fvcking moron.

i grew up in a smaller city which is home to a fortune 500 tech company. at one point, we had the second highest amount of advanced college degrees per capita in the country. we had such an influx of incredibly bright students when i was in school that cornell allowed a handful to get admitted into their first year courses (which is almost unheard of for an ivy to do) while still in high school. this was well above-and-beyond regular AP courses; we still took those through syracuse and a local community college. this was different (and much more challenging). eight of us, between two high schools, gained entry. besides me, i think one other kid wasnt the parent of a scientist/engineer from the fortune 500 company . . . and he was the son of a nepalese doctor. out of the eight, one went to canegie mellon and georgia tech, one went to cal poly, one went to MIT, and the other five went ivy.

every single one of those kids was not just in a different league than any kid i came across at Marshall, but they were playing an entirely different fvcking sport.

for what it's worth, that program doesnt exist anymore because the company helped fund an absurdly wealthy private school in order to attract top executives to join the company and move to the city.

not that much smarter than the average college student. christ. go ask your brother-in-law some more questions about how his family has weekly dinners with the families of all of those cops.

I'm not saying Ivy kids aren't smart but WiWi has a point. Something like 30% of Ivy admits are legacy students. As in, they got preferential treatment in the admissions process because their parent went to school there.

These schools get 30,000+ applications. A huge amount of luck goes in to getting in. It simply isn't possible to evaluate all the applications they receive. If you are white, you better be the most impressive man to ever live or have something like legacy to help out.

And regarding your silly anecdote, I knew several Marshall students that had acceptances at top schools. They were very good students but not invincible like you act.

I also knew several 4.0 30+ ACT kids that flunked out. This admission stuff is a crap shoot.

My neighbor on one side is a Naval Academy grad. The other a Syracuse grad. Not Ivy League, but known schools. Across the street several ACC grads.

I am hayseed from WV that went to Marshall. They can kiss my a**. I made it.

Originally posted by wvkeeper(HN):

(except for Olen, he's cool)

ec
It appears I need to revive the "Olen Fan Club" -- for your loyalty, you will immediately receive a monthly newsletter and 100 Olen Points.

Agreed re: Olen.

That being said, I work daily with ivy league lawyers. I wouldn't want to try a case with the overwhelming majority. Couldn't relate to a jury to save their lives (or their clients, as the case may be).

Originally posted by Penn2moss:
I'm not saying Ivy kids aren't smart but WiWi has a point.
and his point is wrong. saying that ivy league students arent much brighter than average college students is absurd. even if a small percentage are legacy students, they cant get in with an average GPA and average SAT. further, children of ivy league grads tend to be far more intelligent than average college students.

can you pick-and-choose some to make an argument? sure. but, overall, and by an overwhelming amount, ivy league students are far more intelligent than average college students.

Originally posted by riflearm2:
Originally posted by WiiWii:

you truly are one dumb mother fvcker.

if by "more opportunities," you mean "much better educated because those students getting into the ivy league schools are head-and-shoulders more intelligent than the average college student,? you would be right. if you meant anything else, you are a fvcking moron.

i grew up in a smaller city which is home to a fortune 500 tech company. at one point, we had the second highest amount of advanced college degrees per capita in the country. we had such an influx of incredibly bright students when i was in school that cornell allowed a handful to get admitted into their first year courses (which is almost unheard of for an ivy to do) while still in high school. this was well above-and-beyond regular AP courses; we still took those through syracuse and a local community college. this was different (and much more challenging). eight of us, between two high schools, gained entry. besides me, i think one other kid wasnt the parent of a scientist/engineer from the fortune 500 company . . . and he was the son of a nepalese doctor. out of the eight, one went to canegie mellon and georgia tech, one went to cal poly, one went to MIT, and the other five went ivy.

every single one of those kids was not just in a different league than any kid i came across at Marshall, but they were playing an entirely different fvcking sport.

for what it's worth, that program doesnt exist anymore because the company helped fund an absurdly wealthy private school in order to attract top executives to join the company and move to the city.

not that much smarter than the average college student. christ. go ask your brother-in-law some more questions about how his family has weekly dinners with the families of all of those cops.
I used to work with a Harvard Business grad. He was a young VP in my region and we had meetings on a regular basis. Really nice guy, unassuming. But he had no personal skills at all and very little business sense. Go figure.

and his point is wrong. saying that ivy league students arent much brighter than average college students is absurd. even if a small percentage are legacy students, they cant get in with an average GPA and average SAT. further, children of ivy league grads tend to be far more intelligent than average college students.

can you pick-and-choose some to make an argument? sure. but, overall, and by an overwhelming amount, ivy league students are far more intelligent than average college students.
I think this depends on how you define the terms "brighter" and "intelligent."

I think this depends on how you define the terms "brighter" and "intelligent."
It seemed like wiwi was talking about general intelligence, which was what I contested.

Any type of perceived social dysfunctions are outside my definition of intelligence and bright.

Smarter than the average Marshall student? Sure. You made the argument that the Ivy kids were playing a completely different game from anyone you met at Marshall.

That isn't true.

I had a higher average GPA and MCAT than the average Ivy League medical student.

Smarter than the average Marshall student? Sure. You made the argument that the Ivy kids were playing a completely different game from anyone you met at Marshall.

That isn't true.

I had a higher average GPA and MCAT than the average Ivy League medical student.
My daughter-in-law scored 43 MCAT and is a graduate of the Harvard School of Medicine. She also would never talk down or disparage someone who graduated from MU or any other medical school. Matter of fact I see more insults directed toward "Ivy Leaguer's" here than I've ever heard her fellows students / doctors make about others.

Originally posted by GreenDuke:

That isn't true.

My daughter-in-law scored 43 MCAT and is a graduate of the Harvard School of Medicine. She also would never talk down or disparage someone who graduated from MU or any other medical school. Matter of fact I see more insults directed toward "Ivy Leaguer's" here than I've ever heard her fellows students / doctors make about others.
A 43 is insane. Im talking like less then 10 people out of the 70,000 that take it each year score that.

Your daughter-in-law is the exception, even at Harvard.

Originally posted by Penn2moss: Smarter than the average Marshall student? Sure. You made the argument that the Ivy kids were playing a completely different game from anyone you met at Marshall.

there are two issues that make your statement incorrect.

first, i didnt argue what you are trying to present. i said that the seven kids who were in those cornell classes with me were far ahead of anyone i met while at Marshall. that doesnt mean all ivy kids are like that. but, the overwhelming majority are. im not sure why that is so difficult to believe. the majority of Marshall students are west virginia natives. west virginia education is one of the worst in the country. why would it be so far-fetched to think that a group of elite students were far ahead of anyone i encountered at a below average state school with minimal admission policies?

second, the original comment from wiwi that i contested was that he said ivy leaguers werent much smarter than the average college student. you are now agreeing that they are more intelligent than the average Marshall student. so, what was your point of saying wiwi had a point about legacy accepted kids who are also usually more intelligent than the average student?

Originally posted by Penn2moss: Smarter than the average Marshall student? Sure. You made the argument that the Ivy kids were playing a completely different game from anyone you met at Marshall.

there are two issues that make your statement incorrect.

first, i didnt argue what you are trying to present. i said that the seven kids who were in those cornell classes with me were far ahead of anyone i met while at Marshall. that doesnt mean all ivy kids are like that. but, the overwhelming majority are. im not sure why that is so difficult to believe. the majority of Marshall students are west virginia natives. west virginia education is one of the worst in the country. why would it be so far-fetched to think that a group of elite students were far ahead of anyone i encountered at a below average state school with minimal admission policies?

second, the original comment from wiwi that i contested was that he said ivy leaguers werent much smarter than the average college student. you are now agreeing that they are more intelligent than the average Marshall student. so, what was your point of saying wiwi had a point about legacy accepted kids who are also usually more intelligent than the average student?
I was agreeing with WiiWii's statement regarding the fact that Ivy league students have more opportunities. Many were extremely lucky to get in because 1000s of others with the exact same resume don't. Those kids end up at other schools, including schools like Marshall.

My wife was a Yeager Scholar at Marshall, and I have helped with the selection process. There are lots of kids at Marshall that would be very successful at an Ivy League schools.

With that being said, the average student at Marshall has like a 20 on the ACT. The average Ivy student is 30+. They are not even close to being equal if that is what wiiwii was trying to claim.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT