ADVERTISEMENT

Jesus was crucified on Good Friday

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
He rose again 3 days later.

But, we celebrate Easter two days later on Easter Sunday. Some even do sunrise services on Easter Sunday which would be two days later.

Shouldn't it be Monday?

Can of worms. This is a somewhat complicated topic for people who care about such things. Did Jesus rise on the third day or was he in the tomb for three full days? Those are two completely different things. It helps to understand when new days started back then. The Roman calendar had their days starting around sunrise (6am) and the Jewish calendar had days starting around sunset (6pm).

Here are a few links that attempt to discuss the topic.

https://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/jesus-in-tomb-for-three-days-nights

https://apologeticspress.org/did-jesus-rise-on-or-after-the-third-day-756/

https://www.quora.com/Did-the-Bible-use-the-24-hour-time-during-Jesus’-time

Last edited:
Growing up, I had always viewed Friday as being the first day, Saturday being the second day, and Sunday being the third day. But a lot of people believe he was actually crucified on Thursday and spent three full nights in the tomb, because that’s what Jesus said he would do in Matthew.

None of this actually matters as it pertains to salvation. It is, however, interesting to discuss.

Reactions: i am herdman
Growing up, I had always viewed Friday as being the first day, Saturday being the second day, and Sunday being the third day. But a lot of people believe he was actually crucified on Thursday and spent three full nights in the tomb, because that’s what Jesus said he would do in Matthew.

None of this actually matters as it pertains to salvation. It is, however, interesting to discuss.
I guess it really doesn't matter. I never really thought about it until recently and was wondering how they came up with the three days.

Every Friday is good Friday for me, and for that, I would like to personally thank Jesus.

If God can somehow get this wind under control, I can go outside and sit on the front porch and sing a few gospel tunes.

greed, can we pray together later?

I will have to look it up later to confirm but from what I remember reading about Rome, their convention was to start counting at 1 instead of our convention which is to start at 0 (even when it’s implied.)

So if we said on the third day we would say Friday is 0, Saturday is 1, Sunday is 2, Monday is 3.

A Roman would say Friday is 1, Saturday is 2, Sunday is 3.

So I would bet that when the Roman, Jewish, etc guys were making all this up over the years that they counted that way.

I will have to look it up later to confirm but from what I remember reading about Rome, their convention was to start counting at 1 instead of our convention which is to start at 0 (even when it’s implied.)

So if we said on the third day we would say Friday is 0, Saturday is 1, Sunday is 2, Monday is 3.

A Roman would say Friday is 1, Saturday is 2, Sunday is 3.

So I would bet that when the Roman, Jewish, etc guys were making all this up over the years that they counted that way.

It’s also true that they counted backwards like this…if you counted back 5 days from today…today would be 1, yesterday would be 2, etc.

Today, we would say yesterday is 1, day before yesterday is 2, etc.

This is actually important when fulfilling certain prophecies, particularly about the lamb being pure, 10th day of the month, etc. Our pastor is really good at explaining things like this.

Jesus like all condemned men was crucified naked. Hence why the Roman soldiers are dividing His garments.

Jesus was crucified on Friday, it's why the Romans had to take him down so quick (which is why they wanted to break His legs) because the next day was the Old Testament Sabbath, or Saturday.

Jesus was crucified on Good Friday.

Sounds like a good Friday to me. Now, if we can just do the same with Allah, Bhagavan, Hayyi Rabbi, and the other gods, we could have a reason to celebrate every day of the week.

Sounds like a good Friday to me. Now, if we can just do the same with Allah, Bhagavan, Hayyi Rabbi, and the other gods, we could have a reason to celebrate every day of the week.
Jesus and Allah are the same person.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT