ADVERTISEMENT

JMU again ineligible for bowl and SBC CG

Gonna be a hard sell for their coach to get any portal kids or highly ranked recruits to come there in the short term. Jmo

This is crappy for them. Although, you allow this to pass for the Dukes, Kennesaw St. and all the other FCS schools will be applying for the same waiver. Wild times. Sucks for E. Bush. Shoulda stayed with the HERD.

Ridiculous.

Last year was ridiculous; this year is absurd. Yes, they made the jump knowing the stipulations but exceptions can still be made. JMU didn't make this move on a whim. They put all the pieces in place and proved last season they were prepared. I know the rule is there and so did JMU, but I don't know how you defend a rule that is designed to protect a program that handled the jump so seamlessly. What exactly is JMU being protected from?

Not a JMU fan but that is BS. If you let them play 12 games why not a 13th. Stupid but then again I’m talking about the NCAA.
I believe Marshall moved up from 1-AA in 1997 and went to a bowl game. What's the difference now?

There are a lot of misconceptions in this thread. The rule isn't intended to "protect" a program that is moving up. It isn't to limit their games. The rule, primarily, is to discourage a program from moving up to ride the coattails of a star player/team.

I believe Marshall moved up from 1-AA in 1997 and went to a bowl game. What's the difference now?
The difference is rules in place that change the landscape of sports, due to the landscape of sports changing. For example, every basketball program in the country wants to be D1 and eligible for the NCAA tourney. But that doesn't work because you have an influx in all of these teams and conferences, and why there are now play in games (dumbest shit ever) for the NCAA tourney.

There are a lot of misconceptions in this thread. The rule isn't intended to "protect" a program that is moving up. It isn't to limit their games. The rule, primarily, is to discourage a program from moving up to ride the coattails of a star player/team.
Thanks for that. I hadn't heard that rationalization before. It certainly makes more sense than the "protection" narrative that's being pushed by most of the sport's gurus. Still, I believe exceptions sometimes should be made. JMU started this campaign over a decade ago. They are definitely not a one-hit wonder.

Thanks for that. I hadn't heard that rationalization before. It certainly makes more sense than the "protection" narrative that's being pushed by most of the sport's gurus. Still, I believe exceptions sometimes should be made. JMU started this campaign over a decade ago. They are definitely not a one-hit wonder.
Agree. They were also severely “punished” last year. It’s not as though they went 2-10 and the rule didn’t apply.

Now that does make a lot more sense.

To his point, if that is the case, then it makes the decision by the NCAA look even more unsupportable given JMU's history. I'm not that sympathetic to a conference rival but the decision is vexing.

Well heck, didn't the Herd and Coach Pruett "ride the coattails of a star player/team" back in 97 or so when we came into D1 and the MAC?? What the heck is the difference now in 2023??

Blame Marshall. We used our pending move up to recruit an all star team with the lure of immediate bowls and championships.

Well heck, didn't the Herd and Coach Pruett "ride the coattails of a star player/team" back in 97 or so when we came into D1 and the MAC?? What the heck is the difference now in 2023??
Pretty sure that move was already in the works before said player came here. He didn’t want to sit out a yr so he transferred down, which meant he could play right away knowing the next yr we were scheduled to go up a division

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT