ADVERTISEMENT

......Just watched Doc's presser..........

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
I have witnessed Marshall football HC's for the last 50 years. But I probably didn't see/hear any of their weekly press conferences until Sonny. He was so folksy, I don't remember him spouting any football "inside lingo" in public. Stan Parrish didn't stay around long enough to make an impression one way or the other. George Chaump was a solid, old school coach who was more comfortable on the sideline than in front of the microphone.
Jim Donnan was too serious and couldn't take a joke. Bobby Pruett was a lot like Sonny, but he won a ton & backed up what he said. Still, no HC I've mentioned gave us the coaching lingo I'm talking about. Mark Snyder was a Son of Marshall. And now Doc. I swear, he talks about players that have "it". IMO, Holliday has the best combination of straight forward, honest evaluations, sense of humor & folksy demeanor we have had @ MU in my lifetime.
He will NOT speak poorly of the opposition, it's just not in his nature to do so. He praises individual players for the next foe on the schedule. He always shows respect for the other HC, and more often than not has a connection with them from earlier in his career. But he saves his highest praise for his guys: coaches, players & support staff/medical team. He gives us a little of that lingo: Lineman get highlighted for production points; He talks up the young guys and lets us in on their individual progress. He has an easy flow in his answers & analysis for the upcoming game. His emotion for his players is always just under the surface. It has to be infectious for Herd football. We have ourselves a ball coach, and I for one am so glad he's here.
(No one paid for this Doc Holliday appreciation statement. I have just been thinking this for a while and wanted to get it out there.....)
Go HERD !!!

WS

p.s. I can't believe he is only 2 years older than me. I guess I am gaining on them ;D)

I agree, he's all football all the time. He is, and has been, good for MU.

Doc says nothing but coach speak. His press conferences and call in shows are usually completely worthless.
What would you prefer he say? The other team sucks and their coach is a moron? It may indeed be coach talk but I agree with WS 110%

Doc says nothing but coach speak. His press conferences and call in shows are usually completely worthless.

That's why I don't listen to any call in or weekly highlight shows. They all are the same, boring beyond belief. One season George Chaump had his weekly tv show on Sunday night at 11:30, talk about a sleeping pill.

Reactions: wintz50
What would you prefer he say? The other team sucks and their coach is a moron? It may indeed be coach talk but I agree with WS 110%

It doesn't bother me particularly other than the fact that it is so boring.

Doc is a very good coach but to act like he is some press conference guru is just silly.

"[insert team name here] is an outstanding football program. [insert coach's name here] really has that team playing its best ball right now. I have a lot of respect for him as a coach. [inset qbs name here] is a fantastic ball player. He can beat you with his arm and has the athletic ability to be dangerous with his feet. He really loves the game of football and will be one of the best QBs we will face all season. This team's record is deceiving they are probably the best [insert team's record here] team in the country. We have our work cut out for us as a coaching staff and we will need a great week of preparation if we are going to win this Saturday."

The media will ask a few questions and he will answer each one with: "well there's no doubt..."

That is basically every Doc Holliday press conference ever.

Reactions: bangtheherd
I think that is the point of the thread. Doc has the "coach speak" down to an art. He knows just how far to go with everything.

Letting the media think you've answered something without answering anything takes some skill with your words. He isn't a blatant asshole like Bellichek or Popovich, and he doesn't have the ability to ramble on about nothing and give the media something good to write about without it having a damn thing to do with football like Jim Harbaugh does (because you have to be half crazy to do what he does haha). But Doc really does a good job handling his press conferences for a 1st time HC.

It doesn't bother me particularly other than the fact that it is so boring.

Doc is a very good coach but to act like he is some press conference guru is just silly.

"[insert team name here] is an outstanding football program. [insert coach's name here] really has that team playing its best ball right now. I have a lot of respect for him as a coach. [inset qbs name here] is a fantastic ball player. He can beat you with his arm and has the athletic ability to be dangerous with his feet. He really loves the game of football and will be one of the best QBs we will face all season. This team's record is deceiving they are probably the best [insert team's record here] team in the country. We have our work cut out for us as a coaching staff and we will need a great week of preparation if we are going to win this Saturday."

The media will ask a few questions and he will answer each one with: "well there's no doubt..."

That is basically every Doc Holliday press conference ever.
Also...
"Chase Litton will be playing this week"
and
"We are going to see what Hyleck Foster can do at tailback."

And the first 90 seconds of this week's presser was highly entertaining. Mostly you are right, but they aren't totally worthless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT