CFN: Marshall

GoHerdMarshallYes

Gold Buffalo
Nov 7, 2018
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
We better win more than 6-7 games.

Marshall Thundering Herd Season Prediction, Win Total, What Will Happen
Set The Win Total At: 6.5

Anything less than another eight-win regular season will feel like a major disappointment, but the schedule appears to be far, far tougher and the team is undergoing too many major changes to do anything amazing without a shocking run.

Marshall will win a few of the tougher dates - like it did last year against Notre Dame, James Madison, and Appalachian State - but going to East Carolina won’t be easy. Going to NC State is a problem. Hosting Virginia Tech is dangerous, and dealing with James Madison and Georgia Southern at home aren’t layups.

That’s not even getting into the Sun Belt road games at Appalachian State, South Alabama, Coastal Carolina, and Georgia State.

Again, Marshall will be good enough to win enough to have a good season - Alabama, Old Dominion, and Arkansas State should provide a nice home base of three wins to build off of - but there are a whole bunch of 50/50 games to worry about.

I'm excited about our Defense and cautiously optimistic about our offense. I just hope the loss of Guidry won't hurt too much, he was a great hire. Liked his scheme.

Prior regimes had the same record...but were blasted because, "WE NEED CHAMPIONSHIPS! MARSHALL PLAYS FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!"
While I agree with your premise... Previous regimes had a decade of good, but not great, football under their belts.

The current regime will be judged the same way if in 2-3 more years we still haven't won a conference championship.

While I agree with your premise... Previous regimes had a decade of good, but not great, football under their belts.

The current regime will be judged the same way if in 2-3 more years we still haven't won a conference championship.
CUSA was often rated the worst D1 league in college football. But people tend to forget that.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Prior regimes had the same record...but were blasted because, "WE NEED CHAMPIONSHIPS! MARSHALL PLAYS FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!"
And..... I was asking @TwolfHerdfan where he thought we'd finish in the east. Nowhere did I insinuate that anything short of a championship was successful.

This is year three. This team should be making big strides forward. If we do not at least win the East then Huff isn't the guy.

Reactions: marshallsig
Doc won an average of 7 games a year. Look it up.
Yup and underachieved every season post 2014. We fired Doc because he was collapsing down the stretch. We were in position to win the division and/or championship 4 out of his last 5 seasons and he chocked away games like Charlotte on the road.

The problem with Huff is he wasn't given a rebuild and we have more questions than answers at this point. He was hired to "close the gap" and all that's happened is that it's gotten widened.

hoping for better than the same old same old Doc 4-5 losses and a bowl..... BUT the schedule is challenging for sure. cautiously optimistic
The OoC slate is difficult. I could take an 8-4 or 9-3 regular season as long as it's one of those where we bring home a title at the end of the season.

I still think we can at least split VT and NCST. I see VT playing out like Purdue did in 2015.

I think we'll know exactly what we're dealing with following the game at ECU. If we go down there and take care of business it will probably end up being a good season, but if we can't then it's going to be a long season.

Yup and underachieved every season post 2014. We fired Doc because he was collapsing down the stretch. We were in position to win the division and/or championship 4 out of his last 5 seasons and he chocked away games like Charlotte on the road.

The problem with Huff is he wasn't given a rebuild and we have more questions than answers at this point. He was hired to "close the gap" and all that's happened is that it's gotten widened.
Exactly.
Huff inherited a very capable team...and didn't fire the entire coaching staff.

He is everything everyone wanted on here...a young, energetic, inexperienced as a HC, and from a big name program.
Already looking for the first ticket out of town with possibly 8 wins and no conference title.

You got what you asked for.

Exactly.
Huff inherited a very capable team...and didn't fire the entire coaching staff.

He is everything everyone wanted on here...a young, energetic, inexperienced as a HC, and from a big name program.
Already looking for the first ticket out of town with possibly 8 wins and no conference title.

You got what you asked for.
Ahhhhh, GHMY! Always a ray of 🌞 on here! These eyore woe is me posts ripen in the summer & are rotted by September …..

This is Huffs put up or shut up year.

As he himself stated from the beginning, he did it inherit a rebuild. Plus, rosters can be turned too fast that a 2-3 year plan is irrelevant.

If he doesn’t compete for the conference title this year, there’s nothing to say he will any other year at this point.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I think we should fire Huff, Spears and everyone that's come on board since Hamrick left.
We had a great thing with he and Doc. Cruise control and averaging 7 wins a year never felt so good.

I think we should fire Huff, Spears and everyone that's come on board since Hamrick left.
We had a great thing with he and Doc. Cruise control and averaging 7 wins a year never felt so good.
I can only speak for myself, but just because I am unsatisfied with Huff doesn't mean I want Doc back. My point is that firing Doc meant 9-10 win seasons with no championships were not good enough. You can't fire one guy for 9-3 then pat the next guy on the back for 9-3.

Huff took over a pretty darn good roster and now we are in year three so this roster is all his making. We should start to see big strides right now if Huff was the right hire.

The fact that the QB position being unstable right now is inexcusable. He's taken the Dana Holgorsen approach so far (living off of transfers) and it's not gotten us anywhere.

I can only speak for myself, but just because I am unsatisfied with Huff doesn't mean I want Doc back. My point is that firing Doc meant 9-10 win seasons with no championships were not good enough. You can't fire one guy for 9-3 then pat the next guy on the back for 9-3.

Huff took over a pretty darn good roster and now we are in year three so this roster is all his making. We should start to see big strides right now if Huff was the right hire.

The fact that the QB position being unstable right now is inexcusable. He's taken the Dana Holgorsen approach so far (living off of transfers) and it's not gotten us anywhere.
Doc won 9-10 games, how many times? 3 seasons? We won 9 last year. I understand the frustration of everyone that we can't replicate the Pruett years and MAC like dominance. I doubt we ever achieve that again - just too many changes in the game and college football landscape.
I made the post in gest since we never seem pleased with a coach or program regardless of who they are or the past/current success they had/have.

I am sure Pruett had his critics, likely Carl Tacy as well. Hell, some prolly rag on Chris Grassie. Lol!

Last edited:

Be careful about that...considering how many CUSA and G5's completely fell off the map after having a stellar season.
There are several P5's who'd kill for MUbhad in that span.

I don't think people realize just how difficult it is to consistently win as a G5 and in MU's position.

Oh, wait, you all do, just when it fits your argument.

Stop wasting your time.
Idiots like him are just in their own little world, where MU athletes snap their fingers and their uniforms come on.
Where the AD is an incompetent because he can't schedule Bama for 1:1.
Where MU has both all the means of being a top G5 but is poor and unable to afford anything at the same time.

Doc won 9-10 games, how many times? 3 seasons? We won 9 last year. I understand the frustration of everyone that we can't replicate the Pruett years and MAC like dominance. I doubt we ever achieve that again - just too many changes in the game and college football landscape.
I made the post in gest since we never seem pleased with a coach or program regardless of who they are or the past/current success they had/have.

I am sure Pruett had his critics, likely Carl Tacy as well. Hell, some prolly rag on Chris Grassie. Lol!
We are never pleased because we aren't winning championships. We have one championship in the last 20 seasons. Despite having some of the most talented rosters in the conference. We don't need to win one every season, but we darn sure should have more than one in two decades.

When you fire someone you are saying they did not meet expectations. Doc's final season ( and I don't care about COVID. Everyone was dealing with it) was 7-3 with a Division Title and CoY award. That was not good enough. The year before was 8-5.

That means in order for Huff to be a successful hire he has to be better than Doc. Most publications are predicting us to have 6.5 wins. That's pathetic. Again I don't care about the changing landscape because every team is dealing with it and TBH it hasn't effected us negatively at all on the football side. Huff keeps backfilling and we didn't lose and star players to bigger teams.

The new college football landscape has nothing to do with why our QB situation isn't settled.

We fired Doc and hired Huff to do one thing. Win Championships. If he fails to do that then it wasn't a successful hire and if we barely win 8 games this season then it's pretty much a failure.

Stop wasting your time.
Idiots like him are just in their own little world, where MU athletes snap their fingers and their uniforms come on.
Where the AD is an incompetent because he can't schedule Bama for 1:1.
Where MU has both all the means of being a top G5 but is poor and unable to afford anything at the same time.
WTH are you talking about? For years you've preached we shouldn't expect titles every year, that a segment of fans were unrealistic in their expectations, and I agree. Now all of a sudden we should? That's a 180 for you. You must have misread my original post, which was in gest, as stated. Sorry you didn't pick up on the humor of my post.

Last edited:
WTH are you talking about? For years you've preached we shouldn't expect titles every year, that a segment of fans were unrealistic in their expectations, and I agree. Now all of a sudden we should? That's a 180 for you. You must have misread my original post, which was in gest, as stated.
I got your gist, T.
Ppls sarcasm detectors need further fine tuning, it would seem!

I do not think we should win a championship every year, but we should have more than one in 20 years. Especially given the talent that has come through here. We've been in position numerous times and then crapped the bed.

This season will tell us plenty about where Coach Huff is taking the program. I know he was hired to , "close the gap" and take us back to Camelot but that is easier said than done. We had a special run from 1997 -2002 and should remember those years fondly. However, the landscape has changed and it is much harder to achieve those types of results now than in years past.
At this point I would say Huff is doing a solid job here. He hasn't taken us backwards and potentially we can( in another year or so) possibly win some bling. I think he was the best hire we could have made and am more than willing to give him some time to work some magic here.

I do not think we should win a championship every year, but we should have more than one in 20 years. Especially given the talent that has come through here. We've been in position numerous times and then crapped the bed.
The last CUSA title game played here against UAB was gawd awful bad. We looked terrible and their QB's dying quail passes alluded our D'backs. Just bad.

The last CUSA title game played here against UAB was gawd awful bad. We looked terrible and their QB's dying quail passes alluded our D'backs. Just bad.
Also the showing at Rice in 2013 was inexcusable. The add in 2018 and 2019 when we were in the driver's seat to win the division only to crap the bed like that rainy game in Charlotte.

We have vastly underachieved. During the Snyder years we were just bad and never in contention for anything and lacked overall talent. Though I would argue not even making a bowl with Bradshaw is pathetic. Still. From 2013-2020 there were no excuses and that's why Doc is gone and Huff was brought in. 2021 and 2022 were steps backwards with the current trajectory not looking so great. That could change, but if 2023 isn't a step forward then we've probably made a bad hire. If we win 6 or less games then Spears needs to do some serious thinking.

WTH are you talking about? For years you've preached we shouldn't expect titles every year, that a segment of fans were unrealistic in their expectations, and I agree. Now all of a sudden we should? That's a 180 for you. You must have misread my original post, which was in gest, as stated. Sorry you didn't pick up on the humor of my post.

Laugh all you want, it's exactly what you are getting...serious or not.
You wanted a young energetic HC to win for MU, because you think conference titles are the end all be all of a HC's resume? They help but they don't carry all the weight...who will use MU as a stepping stone.
Cool. He'll win 8 games over the course of 3 years, have a solid OOC win against ND and be gone.
You'll be left scratching your heads asking, "wait, where are the conference titles?" Then you'll be frustrated and bash said former HC.
Enter new HC, and the cycle repeats.

Ask MTSU or WKU about the importance of conference titles and getting recognized by bigger/better conferences...oh, wait...

MU fans want to be taken seriously about the toilets, concourse, concessions, etc, but the stadium just reduced capacity.
MU fans want to complain about the advertising noise during games, but refuse to accept alternative methods to raise money and reduce costs.
MU fans demand the AD make MU into a better sports program, mock the idea of a baseball field being built.

As for winning conference titles? I never said MU shouldn't win any.
If conference titles are the only goal, then what, 90% of the programs in college football, are failures?
Plenty of programs, both P5 and G5, are going to lose, horrendously, a lot in the time between conference titles.
Doc and 7 wins per season, was a hell of a lot more consistent than many, many programs.
WKU and Southern Miss are recent, solid examples of what happens when you lack consistency.

In short, MU hasn't achieved what it set out to do, but given what it is up against, it has consistently done much, much better than others around it.

Also the showing at Rice in 2013 was inexcusable. The add in 2018 and 2019 when we were in the driver's seat to win the division only to crap the bed like that rainy game in Charlotte.

We have vastly underachieved. During the Snyder years we were just bad and never in contention for anything and lacked overall talent. Though I would argue not even making a bowl with Bradshaw is pathetic. Still. From 2013-2020 there were no excuses and that's why Doc is gone and Huff was brought in. 2021 and 2022 were steps backwards with the current trajectory not looking so great. That could change, but if 2023 isn't a step forward then we've probably made a bad hire. If we win 6 or less games then Spears needs to do some serious thinking.
I would hardly classify 2022 as a step backward. We'll see how we roll in 2023.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Laugh all you want, it's exactly what you are getting...serious or not.
You wanted a young energetic HC to win for MU, because you think conference titles are the end all be all of a HC's resume? They help but they don't carry all the weight...who will use MU as a stepping stone.
Cool. He'll win 8 games over the course of 3 years, have a solid OOC win against ND and be gone.
You'll be left scratching your heads asking, "wait, where are the conference titles?" Then you'll be frustrated and bash said former HC.
Enter new HC, and the cycle repeats.

Ask MTSU or WKU about the importance of conference titles and getting recognized by bigger/better conferences...oh, wait...

MU fans want to be taken seriously about the toilets, concourse, concessions, etc, but the stadium just reduced capacity.
MU fans want to complain about the advertising noise during games, but refuse to accept alternative methods to raise money and reduce costs.
MU fans demand the AD make MU into a better sports program, mock the idea of a baseball field being built.

As for winning conference titles? I never said MU shouldn't win any.
If conference titles are the only goal, then what, 90% of the programs in college football, are failures?
Plenty of programs, both P5 and G5, are going to lose, horrendously, a lot in the time between conference titles.
Doc and 7 wins per season, was a hell of a lot more consistent than many, many programs.
WKU and Southern Miss are recent, solid examples of what happens when you lack consistency.

In short, MU hasn't achieved what it set out to do, but given what it is up against, it has consistently done much, much better than others around it.
Agree, we've always done more with less. No question.

So why all the hate for someone who was able to do that?
No hate at all. I've never hated a coach, AD or anyone. I felt a change was needed. That's all. I've said many times my appreciation of coaches and AD's. Doc gave us consistency, as did Mike. I expect Huff and Spears will give us more of the same, hopefully better. But I support the school first, not the individual. In my time as an MU fan, I can honestly say there have been only three people I was glad to see leave this school. One was KO, Pres. Dan Angel, and other Litton. Just my opinion, no right or wrong.

And Marshall historically has always done more with less, in my opinion. That's not a new thought or idea. Been going on for decades. jmho.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I would hardly classify 2022 as a step backward. We'll see how we roll in 2023.
Our offense was horrible last season and we were not in contention for the division. Two years ago we were playing for the conference title and now we struggle to overcome 14 point deficits. Trends are not positive at the moment. Hopefully the QB and the OL will be much improved, but if not it's going to be another ho hum season and I really hope we don't do to Ali what we did to Rockhead.

I hope we're better, but there's nothing I can point to that gives me confidence that we will be.

Our offense was horrible last season and we were not in contention for the division. Two years ago we were playing for the conference title and now we struggle to overcome 14 point deficits. Trends are not positive at the moment. Hopefully the QB and the OL will be much improved, but if not it's going to be another ho hum season and I really hope we don't do to Ali what we did to Rockhead.

I hope we're better, but there's nothing I can point to that gives me confidence that we will be.
…You mean THREE season’s ago, I believe….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT