ADVERTISEMENT

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Terrorist Attacks not About Religion

GK4Herd

Aug 5, 2001
KAJ expressing the same thing I tried to express in the Vox thread before it overlooked Keep's reason for posting it and got off track on the words "small group". This Muslim terrorism isn't about religion. It's about power and money. It always is. KAJ has written several articles that has really raised my level of respect for him. He's both intelligent and reasonable and approaches being a Muslim in a way that is admirable.

This post was edited on 1/11 1:26 PM by GK4Herd

http://time.com/3662152/kareem-abdul-jabbar-paris-charlie-hebdo-terrorist-attacks-are-not-about-religion/

He starts by saying:

"When the Ku Klux Klan burns a cross in a black family's yard, Christians aren't required to explain how these aren't really Christian acts"

Kareem, when was the last time the Klu Klux Klan burned a cross in someone's yard? Why can't Muslims police themselves or shun or thwart this behavior. Why can't they join the modern world? The Klu Klux Klan is irrelevant even in hotbeds where it was powerful at one time. Why? Because the problem was taken care of? That behavior is no longer accepted.

The Klu Klux Klan has no effect or bearing on international trade nor economics. I don't know if he was trying to race bait. But, comparing the Klu Klux Klan to folks that nearly have standing armies is ludicrous.

I agree with him when there is an economic aspect as an attack like 9/11 had a goal of economic pain as well as human pain and murder.

However, he can say we can stop blaming Islam, but there is one common denominator. These terrorist are muslims. That is a fact.

As a special operations guy who has spend the last 14 years fighting global terror told me: "I have been different places in the world and fought terrorist all over. The fact is every one of them has been a follower of Islam. Every last one of them."

This post was edited on 1/11 8:33 PM by i am herdman

Every time the Westboro folks do crazy crap all Christians ARE required by the media to defend themselves. Heck liberals still bring up abortion bombings from 25 years ago in every other conversation that were committed by one guy (a true lone wold). What planet is he living on?

Originally posted by wvkeeper(HN):
Every time the Westboro folks do crazy crap all Christians ARE required by the media to defend themselves. Heck liberals still bring up abortion bombings from 25 years ago in every other conversation that were committed by one guy (a true lone wold). What planet is he living on?
Christians are no more condemned by the media for Westboro than Muslims are by the terrorist acts. I have read nothing but condemnation in the media over the senseless deaths at the hands of radical extremist.

And bringing up abortion bombings in every other conversation? Hyperbole much?

KAJ seems like a peace loving Muslim to me. His article was reasonable. His point...which isn't anywhere near how you guys have framed it...was that terrorism is about power and not religion. I agree with that. But I guess if I agree with a point written by by a Muslim, a point that doesn't condemn christianity I might add, people like herdman can't accept it because in their world it can only be black or white. Christian good and Muslim bad.

The sad part is that I thoroughly condemn and despise the acts of radical Muslims who resort to terrorism. But you can't discuss anything with a degree of rationality if it gives the hint that it might reflect positively on one person that doesn't represent your chosen ideology.

This post was edited on 1/11 5:30 PM by GK4Herd

They're using a religion to gain power, which is something pretty much all people trying to get power do, it's just that they're horrible evil people so it looks worse.

The problem is the literal interpretation of their religion requires conversion and submission to their religious law or you are to be killed.

It is not a peaceful religion.

So Muslims aren't bad? The people that made up and lead the religion today are bad? That is what I am supposed to believe?

If he is trying to say, "don't judge American Muslims by the actions of Muslims in other countries" he might have a point. But when Muslim populations support suicide bombing around the world, it sure makes it seem like the religion supports it.

Originally posted by HerdandHokies:
They're using a religion to gain power, which is something pretty much all people trying to get power do, it's just that they're horrible evil people so it looks worse.
You're the only who gets the point. i don't think that people disagree so much as they are so hell bent on advancing their personal ideology that they just ignore the point in order to express it.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke MU:
Someone needs to educate Kareem about how wealthy Wahhabis funnel money to terrorists. Their goals have everything to do with spreading their brand of Islam, and nothing to do with wealth and power (which they already have in spades).
Spreading their brand of Islam because it gives them....?

To the extent that those things you mentioned stand in the way of them obtaining more power, yes.

Originally posted by HerdandHokies:

Someone needs to educate Kareem about how wealthy Wahhabis funnel money to terrorists. Their goals have everything to do with spreading their brand of Islam, and nothing to do with wealth and power (which they already have in spades).
Spreading their brand of Islam because it gives them....?
Paradise.

I'm not arguing, by the way, that most of the front line jagoffs aren't true believers. I just think that the guys at the top, whether they actually believe in Islam or not (and most of them probably do,) manipulate the religion for their own ends.

Probably. But I do believe religion is by far their primary motivation. And I believe their are millions who believe as they do.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
that is why I said if they had the means to do so they would land on our beaches and invade us.

Probably. But I do believe religion is by far their primary motivation. And I believe their are millions who believe as they do.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
And about a billion who will if you declare war on them.

I think we need to call a spade a spade: Islam is the problem. Read the Koran. It -- like the Bible -- has some crazy, barbaric shit in it. The difference is Christians (in 2015) don't go around mass murdering people in their religion's name. Muslims are stuck in the 14th Century and think violence is the answer to anyone and everything that disagrees with their religion's dogma.

I totally disagree that the violence that comes from Islam is pursuit of power. Maybe for a small minority of their "leaders," but the Koran explicitly calls for violence against non-believers:Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [/I][disbelief] is worse than killing... [/I]
but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [/I][disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)"[/I]

Islam is the problem. It needs to be eliminated.

Originally posted by murox:
I think we need to call a spade a spade: Islam is the problem. Read the Koran. It -- like the Bible -- has some crazy, barbaric shit in it. The difference is Christians (in 2015) don't go around mass murdering people in their religion's name. Muslims are stuck in the 14th Century and think violence is the answer to anyone and everything that disagrees with their religion's dogma.

I totally disagree that the violence that comes from Islam is pursuit of power. Maybe for a small minority of their "leaders," but the Koran explicitly calls for violence against non-believers:Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [/I][disbelief] is worse than killing... [/I]
but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [/I][disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)"[/I]

I agree with everything but the part of it not being about power. It's always about money and power. Religion is the tool being used by those trying to get it.

Originally posted by GK4Herd:

Originally posted by murox:

I agree with everything but the part of it not being about power. It's always about money and power. Religion is the tool being used by those trying to get it.
That is not the total reason, GK. Yes, there are always those who power grab. But, just look at the way these people acted after 9-11. Women, children, men celebrating. There are numerous examples.

Kareem is protecting his religion. Americans need to come to grips with what we are up against. The French Prime Minister said it best when he said, we are at war with radical Islam.

The problem is Islam is a violent religion by nature. Look at most Islamic based nations. Reality is there are those that want to take us over so we can be like that.

jabbar has hard feelings towards whitey because of all the racist crap he went through. Bill Russel kept quiet for years because he hated how this country was towards blacks.

Whitey made them rich doing the thing they wanted to do (play ball). 90% of the team is black yet 90% of the paying fans are white. Oprah marching for equality in this country? She is a billionaire. Anyone can make a great living in this country. Study in school, stay off drugs, obey the law, do that and you will get a good job. All races have their radicals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT