ADVERTISEMENT

KATIE LEE!!!!!

Dick Ash

Official Roster Geek, Staff Writer
Sep 17, 2002
Huntington
www.blessedfurever.com
The Milton native (and former wife of Billy Joel) won a celebrity episode of the Food Network show 'Chopped'. Normally 4 chefs compete for a $10,000 prize. In this episode 4 co-hosts from the Food Network show 'The Kitchen' competed for $10,000 for their favorite charity. The episode just aired for the first time Tuesday (12/9) evening at 10 PM EST. It will air again at 1 AM EST Wednesday (12/10), 9 PM EST Thursday (12/11), 7 PM EST Saturday (12/13) and 6 PM EST Tuesday (12/16).

Katie was playing for Little Victories since her mother volunteers there, so the no-kill animal shelter gets $10K.

Even though the other 3 competitors had competed on 'Chopped' episodes previously, Katie Lee defeated them. The judges were impressed with her poise and how she stayed true to the comfort food she knows and prepares well.

In the show, in the first round each chef starts with the same food basket with 4 ingredients. They must make an appetizer using all 4 ingredients. Other foods are available to use also. Sometimes a weird ingredient is included, like mushrooms in the dessert round or bananas in the main course round.

After the appetizers are made, the judges eliminate one competitor at the 'Chopping Block'. In this episode, 2 of the appetizer ingredients were a pre-made seafood salad and challah bread. Katie Lee made fish cakes.

The remaining 3 competitors continue, making a main course dish with a new basket of 4 ingredients. Another competitor is chopped after this round. In this episode, 3 of the main course ingredients were a pre-cooked brisket, potatoes and a rolled chocolate dessert called a 'yule log'. Katie Lee made a shepherd's pie.

The final round has the last 2 competitors making a dessert with a new basket of 4 ingredients. After this round a winner is chosen based on their combined performance in all three rounds. The second place finisher is 'chopped' and the winner is declared.

The host of the show is Ted Allen, who was one of the gay guys in the series 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' from a few years ago.

Here's a link to an article from the Herald-Dispatch by Dave Lavender from before the show aired (no result mentioned).

This post was edited on 12/9 11:30 PM by DA4Dherd

H-D article before the show aired

I watched that episode last night pretty awesome having the local gal win some money for a local charity!! I like that show and my kids do to.

Originally posted by imherdfan:

I watched that episode last night pretty awesome having the local gal win some money for a local charity!! I like that show and my kids do to.
I was really surprised that she won - not because she's not a good cook, but because the other finalist had pastry chef experience & had competed on a Chopped episode before. Under the pressure of a show like that though.....the experienced pastry chef left her puff pastry shells undercooked. Go figure.....

Katie's biggest errors were: not enough salt & pepper in her shepherd's pie entree, not enough dressing in her greens that went with her fish cake appetizer.and no sauce on her ice cream & cookie dessert so one judge said she shouldn't call it a sundae without any sauce on it. Nothing huge.....

My wife & I are big Little Victories supporters so I was very excited. $10K is a good chunk of their expenses for a typical month.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT