ADVERTISEMENT

My Recent Travels (warning: long post)

That river reminded me of my absolute favorite part of Yellowstone: The Boiling River. I think I posted about it years ago, but it was an area you could safely sit in the river which would shoot you with very hot water for a split-second followed by a few seconds of cold water. That pattern was consistent as long as you sat there: a second of very hot water splashing against your body followed by a few seconds of cold water. It was incredible. While in the water, about five elk came trotting down the other side of the mountain to drink from the river.

One time, I went to Yellowstone without hotel reservations thinking I'd have no problem since it was the off-season. Nope. The hotel employee called two hotels within an hour's drive, and they were both booked. He told me to just sit in one of the comfy chairs and take a nap. I couldn't do that. So I slept in my car. The next day, since I didn't have access to a shower, I went in The Boiling River, and I'll never forget it.

Unfortunately, it no longer exists due to the 2022 flood. The road to get there doesn't even exist anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT