ADVERTISEMENT

Landon on Colombi

Chuck is still a blow-hard... But he's right. Pick one guy and roll with it, Colombi being the obvious choice.

And I don't know what our backup offensive tackles look like in practice, but it's time to see what they look like in a game. When he was once asked about Orlando Pace, Dick Vermeil said "Left tackle is the second most important position on the offense behind the quarterback. If you don't have a good one, you are in trouble."... We have not been good at either tackle spot the last two games.

Bah, I try to read the article a band the shitty Dispatch is wanting me to subscribe. When I close the pop-up, I get redirected back to home page

Chuck is still a blow-hard... But he's right. Pick one guy and roll with it, Colombi being the obvious choice.

And I don't know what our backup offensive tackles look like in practice, but it's time to see what they look like in a game. When he was once asked about Orlando Pace, Dick Vermeil said "Left tackle is the second most important position on the offense behind the quarterback. If you don't have a good one, you are in trouble."... We have not been good at either tackle spot the last two games.
Isn't Fancher a lefty? Maybe that's another reason we brought Fancher in. It changes the blind side.

I agree. I don't think Trickett is OC next year
giphy.gif

Ummmm, maybe Coach Brown can find an appropriate spot for him next year on his Neer staff up in the Hole!!
Brown may not be there next year. I don't see them finishing any better than 4-8 at this point. Sad thing is, he seems like a really good guy.

Can we hire Colombi's dad to be OC?... While you have to take a message like that with a grain of salt, it's easy to see that our offense does not fit our personnel.

We have a power running personnel group -- Tough backs that like to run between the tackles and an O-line that can move people straight ahead (which we did for the first two games). A QB that is very accurate but not good throwing deep. TEs and WRs that are suited to run short quick routes.

We are trying to be a finesse team -- Slow developing, read option BS, dance through a seem, running. In pass protection we are trying to protect with our five linemen, who aren't built for that, and it isn't working. At least one of the five was getting beat pretty much every play against Troy (sometimes more than one).

Put two TEs in the game, run the damn ball down our opponents throat, and mix in the short passing game with an occasional play action downfield throw. Don't turn it over, eliminate the penalties, and hope for the best. Even if Trickett can't see it, Huff is an offensive coach, he should recognize our deficiencies on tape and force the play calling to "adapt."

Can we hire Colombi's dad to be OC?... While you have to take a message like that with a grain of salt, it's easy to see that our offense does not fit our personnel.

We have a power running personnel group -- Tough backs that like to run between the tackles and an O-line that can move people straight ahead (which we did for the first two games). A QB that is very accurate but not good throwing deep. TEs and WRs that are suited to run short quick routes.

We are trying to be a finesse team -- Slow developing, read option BS, dance through a seem, running. In pass protection we are trying to protect with our five linemen, who aren't built for that, and it isn't working. At least one of the five was getting beat pretty much every play against Troy (sometimes more than one).

Put two TEs in the game, run the damn ball down our opponents throat, and mix in the short passing game with an occasional play action downfield throw. Don't turn it over, eliminate the penalties, and hope for the best. Even if Trickett can't see it, Huff is an offensive coach, he should recognize our deficiencies on tape and force the play calling to "adapt."
Good post. Agree, not sure what the coaches are seeing.
It's always been said that good coaches adapt to their personnel.

Anyone catch Huff’s press conference yesterday? He spoke to the deficiencies on the offensive line and basically said we have to find a way to mask those like they did in the 1st 2 games.

Anyone catch Huff’s press conference yesterday? He spoke to the deficiencies on the offensive line and basically said we have to find a way to mask those like they did in the 1st 2 games.
Yeahp, I thought that was odd. Personally, I see through the nice one liners. Coaching adjustments show up, so we will see if he has worked with the team this week and next to fix his smoke and mirror problems. I feel like the formations we show up with this Saturday will be an answer. I like what RhinoD said about TE. Our scheme doesn't fit our personnel. I can see a two TE, play action power running offense being more effective within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage. A former patriots type of offense. It would keep the LB's having to make big decisions. Allowing the weapons to roam. Also, having two TE's would help the blocking. See Below 81-87 are the TE in this formation. Put me in coach.

Two_TE.0.png

12_Personnel_variations.png

From a single formation, the Patriots are able to run seven (7) different plays based on match-ups and what the defense shows.

I can't get the photos to show, but here are the links.

TE's Formations

Decent read on twin TE set. Obviously, we don't have two skilled TE's like Gronk and Hernandez, but make lemonade with lemons.. Com'n Man.

Those are just a few variations that can be run from one formation (the shotgun) and personnel grouping. Having larger, receiving targets like tight ends allows offenses to create and exploit mismatches, such as matching a tight end on a cornerback or safety in coverage.

Seems like Trickett is trying to bring that Netflix east Mississippi community college offense that doesn't work here in the sun belt. I'm sure he will get better. Marshall is not here to develop him, so he needs to get it in gear, or use that gear to hit I-64. Can I also add.. get rid of Bill Legg.. Guy left a grease stain on a nice white shirt you can't get out.

Last edited:
Those are just a few variations that can be run from one formation (the shotgun) and personnel grouping. Having larger, receiving targets like tight ends allows offenses to create and exploit mismatches, such as matching a tight end on a cornerback or safety in coverage.

Seems like Trickett is trying to bring that Netflix east Mississippi community college offense that doesn't work here in the sun belt. I'm sure he will get better. Marshall is not here to develop him, so he needs to get it in gear, or use that gear to hit I-64. Can I also add.. get rid of Bill Legg.. Guy left a grease stain on a nice white shirt you can't get out.
Power running is not sexy... You aren't going to hang 55 points every Saturday... It's not going to get you the next big OC job that's out there... But if that is what you have in the locker room, do it.

Also, our TE group has looked good this year when they have been used in both the running and short passing game. Putting two TEs in the formation helps your tackles (even if the TE just chips the end before going out for a pass) and it discourages teams from blitzing the hell out of you, especially on the edge where Troy killed us.

Power running is not sexy... You aren't going to hang 55 points every Saturday... It's not going to get you the next big OC job that's out there... But if that is what you have in the locker room, do it.
I'm a fan of power running. Rock Johnson was a power runner. With Cato and Johnson we averaged 45 points and 559.2 yds per game. Another stat from 2014, we were 51.2 percent on third and 50 % on 4th down conversions.

Source: Marshall 2014 Stats

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Also, our TE group has looked good this year when they have been used in both the running and short passing game. Putting two TEs in the formation helps your tackles (even if the TE just chips the end before going out for a pass) and it discourages teams from blitzing the hell out of you, especially on the edge where Troy killed us.
Need to be under center at least half the time

If we could push Notre Dame around like we did , we can push ANY team in the SBC around, I don't care which one it is. None of them have up front what Note Dame does across the board.

Our coaching staff has SHIT The Bed. Great game plan against Notre Dame and then we have just melted down.

Like the golfer that shoots par on the front 9, birdies 10 and then says I am going get cute with it. 36 turns into a 52 on the back

If we could push Notre Dame around like we did , we can push ANY team in the SBC around, I don't care which one it is. None of them have up front what Note Dame does across the board.

Our coaching staff has SHIT The Bed. Great game plan against Notre Dame and then we have just melted down.

Like the golfer that shoots par on the front 9, birdies 10 and then says I am going get cute with it. 36 turns into a 52 on the back
I am paraphrasing, but Huff made a comment after Notre Dame game that they would normally go up tempo, but against Notre Dame they didn't feel that would work. At the time, I thought Why even make that comment. Looking back, I think it is pretty clear that even Huff can't decide what type of offense to run.

Reactions: RhinoD
I am paraphrasing, but Huff made a comment after Notre Dame game that they would normally go up tempo, but against Notre Dame they didn't feel that would work. At the time, I thought Why even make that comment. Looking back, I think it is pretty clear that even Huff can't decide what type of offense to run.
Yea it sounds dumb. So you knew going into ND that wouldn't work, but it never dawned on him what we were doing the last 8 quarters of football wasn't working. It didn't occur to him or Clint that "oh yea. we have a stud RB" during OT against BG?

He has also shown to us that he has zero faith in HC to get the job done in crunch time which is also odd given the drives he led against ND.

I don't care that Freeman and Rees are in over their heads or that the starting QB was garbage. I know they're overrated, but it's still ND. They're overrated in terms of being top5 or top10. They are still a better program with better players than Marshall so for us to go in there and thump them like that shows what we are actually capable of.

There's zero excuse to lose to BG. ZERO. Troy while it was still an aggravating loss a lot of posters had that as a possible L. We still should not have gotten so dominated in that game. Lose it? Possibly? One fluke play away from being shut out? NO.

Once again opposing coaches are winning the chess match against ours. It would be nice that at one point when an opposing team adjusts to stop something we're doing we have a counter move. We hardly ever have a counter move and it's complete garbage.

I just have to say after the first two games everything looked great; players, coaching, etc…

Maybe Notre Dame was overrated, but this just isn’t the same team, something happened and everything is blowing up in our face. Was it the OL coach leaving? Egos? What happened?

Yea it sounds dumb. So you knew going into ND that wouldn't work, but it never dawned on him what we were doing the last 8 quarters of football wasn't working. It didn't occur to him or Clint that "oh yea. we have a stud RB" during OT against BG?

He has also shown to us that he has zero faith in HC to get the job done in crunch time which is also odd given the drives he led against ND.

I don't care that Freeman and Rees are in over their heads or that the starting QB was garbage. I know they're overrated, but it's still ND. They're overrated in terms of being top5 or top10. They are still a better program with better players than Marshall so for us to go in there and thump them like that shows what we are actually capable of.

There's zero excuse to lose to BG. ZERO. Troy while it was still an aggravating loss a lot of posters had that as a possible L. We still should not have gotten so dominated in that game. Lose it? Possibly? One fluke play away from being shut out? NO.

Once again opposing coaches are winning the chess match against ours. It would be nice that at one point when an opposing team adjusts to stop something we're doing we have a counter move. We hardly ever have a counter move and it's complete garbage.
Soooo, are you saying that in the last two games the opposing coaches were playing, and were pretty adept at, chess while all the time our coaching staff was playing Chinese checkers???

Soooo, are you saying that in the last two games the opposing coaches were playing, and were pretty adept at, chess while all the time our coaching staff was playing Chinese checkers???
If you watched the game it's like they were playing 4D Underwater Chess and we were playing Tiddleywinks.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
If you watched the game it's like they were playing 4D Underwater Chess and we were playing Tiddleywinks.
This is what drove me crazy about the Troy game... Troy's defense did nothing "unique" or "special." They lined up their corners man-to-man, played two safeties 10-15 yards off the line of scrimmage, and then overloaded one edge and rushed off that edge. The thought being no matter who your LT or RT are, they can't block two guys. And it worked, almost every time, because no one on our side ever said "Huh, they seem to have two guys edge rush on the same side a lot."

We could have put in an extra TE to protect each edge... We could have max-protected with the RB picking up the outside-most blitzer... We could have allowed the rush and thrown a screen behind it on that side of the field (which we tried once, for about 5 yards because the throw was high from Fancher and Laborn had to stop running to catch it)... But instead we stuck with the read option BS and slow developing pass plays that led to sacks and TFLs. No adjustments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT