ADVERTISEMENT

Life Expectancy

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
It's amazing how much the U.S. life expectancy increased from 1900 - 2000 but how little it has increased since. In that 100 year segment, it increased 30 years. Over the last 23 years, it has increased six months.

If only Ducky were here to celebrate that news.

Stress

Dual working families. People working to have all the stuff. Pressure. Mom works. Dad works. Little Johnny has to play travel ball and has to have a 1200 phone. Little Susy has to be in competitive cheer and needs a $1200 phone. So, you have little leisure time. Eat like shit because families don't sit down and eat. Do the easy thing because who wants to cook dinner at 5pm when mom and dad both work? Mom and Dad rack 3 credit cards, have two car payments, and a house to keep up with the neighbors. All along the way the kids need all the best stuff. Parents want all the best stuff. Then they work a job they hate but what can they do?

In summary, women going into the workforce hurt. Not only did it make thing more expensive but it helped destroy the family. We are all guilty of living it. Americans want it all now and not to wait on it.

We are a stressed nation in a rat race.

As Americans, it is a combination of horrible diets mixed with no exercise (or meaningful physical activity). Luckily, these are all individual choices.

Stress

Dual working families. People working to have all the stuff. Pressure. Mom works. Dad works. Little Johnny has to play travel ball and has to have a 1200 phone. Little Susy has to be in competitive cheer and needs a $1200 phone. So, you have little leisure time. Eat like shit because families don't sit down and eat. Do the easy thing because who wants to cook dinner at 5pm when mom and dad both work? Mom and Dad rack 3 credit cards, have two car payments, and a house to keep up with the neighbors. All along the way the kids need all the best stuff. Parents want all the best stuff. Then they work a job they hate but what can they do?

In summary, women going into the workforce hurt. Not only did it make thing more expensive but it helped destroy the family. We are all guilty of living it. Americans want it all now and not to wait on it.

We are a stressed nation in a rat race.
Add in lack of manual labor and at-home chores/work to the list of contributing factors.

It's amazing how much the U.S. life expectancy increased from 1900 - 2000 but how little it has increased since. In that 100 year segment, it increased 30 years. Over the last 23 years, it has increased six months.

If only Ducky were here to celebrate that news.

Didn’t you, a few years ago, say that you thought it’s possible that you will live forever, given advancements in medical technology?

Do you still feel that way?

Didn’t you, a few years ago, say that you thought it’s possible that you will live forever, given advancements in medical technology?

Do you still feel that way?
Not only did I never say that, but I don’t recall anybody saying that on here.

Not only did I never say that, but I don’t recall anybody saying that on here.

Did you say something to the effect of living for a couple hundred years? You made a comment along those lines, I’m pretty certain.

Diet, processed food, too many calories, sitting at a desk all day, stress/rat race, lack of exercise, polypharmcy....

Aside - i get creeped out by some of this transhumanism stuff too. I think murox was most interested in the longevity stuff which is fine, but when it bleeds into transhumanism it feels off to me...probably my religious "bias" but yeah....

I can't remember the comedian but he had a joke about people living longer - "Quit putting more crust on the pizza. Give me more sauce."

Last edited:
Did you say something to the effect of living for a couple hundred years? You made a comment along those lines, I’m pretty certain.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable that our grandchildren could see significant longer health expectancy than what we have seen over the past 25 years.

I think Bush’s defunding of stem cell research set us back significantly on that.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Call me Methuselah, boys.

Masturbation has been linked to increased longevity in some studies. Sexual self-stimulation can help to reduce stress, improve mood, and promote better sleep, all of which can contribute to better overall health and a longer lifespan.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable that our grandchildren could see significant longer health expectancy than what we have seen over the past 25 years.

I think Bush’s defunding of stem cell research set us back significantly on that.

I just don't see at a population level stem cells moving the needle.

Maybe for niche wealthy people, but at a population based level it is a drop in the bucket unless we get diabetes/obesity/food supply fixed. Call me a pessimist but I think even with that drop in funding we would have seen signals in the stem cell space that could move the needle by now...and I just haven't seen it.

I'm wary of these new ozempic drugs to some degree, but if they can reduce caloric consumption and have little long term side effects that will move the needle...it may bankrupt us, but it may very well improve all cause mortality because our diets/obesity is so bad.

Peter Attia's book "Outlive" I think is pretty good if you're interested in this space at a personal level.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
I actually remember this thread. It was either rifle or rox.

It was both of them… I remember it too. He’s just not admitting it. One of them said something to the effect of there are people who are alive right now that may never die. And the other agreed.

President Bush didn’t defund stem cell research. He defunded embryonic stem cell research. Big difference. But, of course, you know that already.

It was both of them… I remember it too. He’s just not admitting it. One of them said something to the effect of there are people who are alive right now that may never die. And the other agreed.
You’re out of your damn mind. I wouldn’t have agreed with that claim. In fact, I would have mocked Middle Class Murox for saying it.

You know we have an archive, right?

You’re out of your damn mind. I wouldn’t have agreed with that claim. In fact, I would have mocked Middle Class Murox for saying it.

You know we have an archive, right?

You either made the comment or agreed with the sentiment. I’m certain of that. I remember thinking the two most ardent atheists on the message board are clinging to the hope of living forever physically because they don’t believe in the afterlife. I remember having that thought quite clearly.

Reactions: 19MU88
You either made the comment or agreed with the sentiment. I’m certain of that. I remember thinking the two most ardent atheists on the message board are clinging to the hope of living forever physically because they don’t believe in the afterlife. I remember having that thought quite clearly.
I’m positive that you’re missing a key part. I wouldn’t have said that about current people living. Again, use the archives if you’re so sure.

I think the Covid vaccines will add at least 25 years a person

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT