ADVERTISEMENT

MAC Cancels Their Football Season

Doc dodges Solich!! Another loss avoided.....

I guess we need an opponent for 09/19/20?

For MU, this could be BAD NEWS in the long run. If Doc continues to lose potential/sure LOSSES by foes dropping off our 2020 schedule, Hamrick could view this as a positive reflection on the caliber of Holliday's current team, warranting another (ugh!) multi year contract extension!!

And.....ohio herd, pray tell us our W-L record in Athens since Doc took the helm?
Doc is 0-3 in Athens and 3-1 in Huntington against Frank. That does not change the fact that the series is 3-4.. Good lord I have been at every one of the games between the two. The one loss in Athens (2013- 34-31) had nothing to do with Doc being clueless and Frank being a genius . It had everything to do with our players creating 4 turnovers. Take that away we win that one. In 2011 they curb stomped us. In 2015 if our QB Birdsong) had not played hurt who knows. I mean he couldn't trow a pass 10 feet. Maybe Doc should have know, but the guy had just led us to a win over Purdue the week before so who knows? Maybe the issue is this is a real rivalry game between two regional schools that are very similar in terms of talent most years.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Doc is 0-3 in Athens and 3-1 in Huntington against Frank. That does not change the fact that the series is 3-4.. Good lord I have been at every one of the games between the two. The one loss in Athens (2013- 34-31) had nothing to do with Doc being clueless and Frank being a genius . It had everything to do with our players creating 4 turnovers. Take that away we win that one. In 2011 they curb stomped us. In 2015 if our QB Birdsong) had not played hurt who knows. I mean he couldn't trow a pass 10 feet. Maybe Doc should have know, but the guy had just led us to a win over Purdue the week before so who knows? Maybe the issue is this is a real rivalry game between two regional schools that are very similar in terms of talent most years.

People probably shouldn't look at the series record or they'd blame Doc for that too.

Exactly my point, ohio herd! Doc has NEVER won in Athens! We would have been at least +7 dogs in that one. Doc survives again!

When the P5 decided to not play them, the MAC realized they could cut their inevitable financial losses by a little and just cancel the season.

Player safety was the least of their concerns.

Correct.

The main point is that the MAC is owned, lock, stock, and barrel by ESPN. With the panic having served most of its purpose, ESPN is looking at a coming glut of rescheduled spring and summer events this fall and simply does not need MACtion this year.

From ESPN:

"Then the MAC turned being last into being first, the first FBS conference to say as a group what independent UConn said Wednesday. The logistics of working around COVID-19-related restrictions are too complicated to maintain on a daily basis, too decimating to daily practice head counts, and the financial costs of NCAA-mandated testing procedures are too high. They would wait until spring to see if it was any easier then."

and the financial costs of NCAA-mandated testing procedures are too high.

Probably, the reason in a nutshell!

I don't believe the other conferences are waiting around to see what the MAC is going to do.

Available games Sept 19th,

MAC Sept 19th

Kent st - Kentucky
Miami - Cincy
W. Michy - Notre Dame

Hamrick better get busy. We can replace with Kentucky or ND.

Available games Sept 19th,

Hamrick better get busy. We can replace with Kentucky or ND.

Both the SEC and the ACC (of which UND is a temporary member for this year) are unavailable. The SEC is playing conference only schedules, the ACC conference plus one in-state team.

UK is playing the East, plus its regularly scheduled West teams of Mississippi State and Auburn, and is adding Ole Miss and Alabama.

UND will play 10 ACC members and with the MAC shut down and the Big 10 playing conference only schedules along with UND policy of not playing I-AA, that looks to be it.

Both the SEC and the ACC (of which UND is a temporary member for this year) are unavailable. The SEC is playing conference only schedules, the ACC conference plus one in-state team.

UK is playing the East, plus its regularly scheduled West teams of Mississippi State and Auburn, and is adding Ole Miss and Alabama.

UND will play 10 ACC members and with the MAC shut down and the Big 10 playing conference only schedules along with UND policy of not playing I-AA, that looks to be it.

Do you think CUSA makes themselves the money game opponents? MU could benefit being paid over $1 million to play some P5 at the last second over the MAC who basically folded.

Or does CUSA inevitably close up shop?

Do you think CUSA makes themselves the money game opponents? MU could benefit being paid over $1 million to play some P5 at the last second over the MAC who basically folded.

Or does CUSA inevitably close up shop?
So, we have 8 conference games + ECU & Boise. Interesting ? - we need 2 opponents. One will probably be a FCS, leaving an opening....most P5 conferences have limited make-up opponents to in-state schools. Who among the G5 would even be a possibility? Asking for a friend......

So, we have 8 conference games + ECU & Boise. Interesting ? - we need 2 opponents. One will probably be a FCS, leaving an opening....most P5 conferences have limited make-up opponents to in-state schools. Who among the G5 would even be a possibility? Asking for a friend......
Keep in mind we can play a conference mate as an OOC game
But as I've said before, I think it's a moot point. There will be no complete season

I'm not sure why "Some" are "Dying" to write off the season. I think we know the motivation of some (Meister). According to NPR and CDC the infection rate has dropped in the last two weeks. In fact, most states are seeing a downward trend.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...king-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s
Because there’s been a vacuum of leadership, that nobody is trying to fill. The P5 basically delayed their season until October, when conference play starts. The G5 hasn’t delayed anything (until the MAC yesterday), so if there is a season, they get their payouts for cancelled games.

Now there are rumors that the inevitable is just being delayed and meetings/announcements for a cancelled fall season with the hopes of putting together something in the spring are on their way.

Colin Cowherd made a good point the other day too. Pro sports can play because billionaire owners can afford testing and have the staffs to better administer proper protocol. Fact is, in college sports there are more Oregon States than Ohio States. Even at the P5 level, there are too many have nots and you don’t have programs playing on a level playing field. Which is by design & the design of college sports is biting them in the ass.

Why can’t the football program & the Medical school partner on the testing? Seems like a practical & economical way to monitor the players/staff. Once they get on the plane for ECU, for example, easier to keep them isolated until kickoff, as well as return to Tri-State...

Why can’t the football program & the Medical school partner on the testing? Seems like a practical & economical way to monitor the players/staff. Once they get on the plane for ECU, for example, easier to keep them isolated until kickoff, as well as return to Tri-State...
Oor medical staff is who is giving the weekly tests to our student athletes. They are also the ones that will be testing every student that will be on campus later this month

Being reported that the Big 10 will announce tomorrow, Monday, that autumn football season is over. Big 12 to eet Tuesday

If football is canceled for this season and it certainly looks like that’s going to unfortunately happen....with all of the $$$ these schools will be missing out on P5 especially on tv contracts it pretty much guarantees we aren’t going to be seeing any college athletics til fall of ‘21....

Winter sports have zero hope, spring sports have a outside shot but if things get canceled thru then will probably just go rest of year.....although having spring sports be the only season that happens this school year would be good for them after missing last year.

Zero interest in seeing football played in the dead of winter or in the spring. Grow a pair and play next month or just skip the year.

Reactions: GreenDuke
B1G has canceled the season. Likely get some sort of an official announcement later today.

Coaches and players, for the most part, want to play, but left wing nutty Presidents won't allow it.

Reactions: 19MU88
B1G has canceled the season. Likely get some sort of an official announcement later today.

Coaches and players, for the most part, want to play, but left wing nutty Presidents won't allow it.

If thats the case, those presidents are going to be voted out by their own boards...too much money is being left out because of this.

Interesting Article:

bleacherreport.com/articles/2903897-dan-patrick-big-ten-pac-12-to-cancel-2020-football-latest-on-sec-acc-big-12

"The ACC, Big 12 and SEC remain in a state of flux, and the SEC is attempting to save the 2020 season by inviting some schools to join the conference, per Patrick."

Interesting Article:

bleacherreport.com/articles/2903897-dan-patrick-big-ten-pac-12-to-cancel-2020-football-latest-on-sec-acc-big-12

"The ACC, Big 12 and SEC remain in a state of flux, and the SEC is attempting to save the 2020 season by inviting some schools to join the conference, per Patrick."

How are they going to do this? Teams are going to want money.
Also,
How do you crown a college football champion when there's 1 conference playing?

The SEC will probably throw a parade for themselves and declare their conference NCAA football champions when such a title doesn't technically exist, sort of like ucf when they had their little parade.

Actually...

Let the SEC play.
Let them play in front of nobody or 1/4 of their capacity.
Let them take a financial hit with lack of gameday revenue.
Let them not play a big name opponent from another conference like they were supposed to.
Let them be watched by less people (because I'm not sure the Pac-12 or Big 10 fans really care about the SEC until CFP time) than ever before.
Let them realize the majority of people are going to find other stuff to do to occupy their time during the "season."
Let them realize they aren't that great after all, and some stuff is more important than their existence.

Oh, and they'll be playing for nothing. There won't be a CFP if there's just 1 conference in it. People know full well that maybe 2 would get in.
People also wouldn't like a 3-4 loss team to get in either.

So essentially, they're playing for nothing this season.

I'd slam some tequila shots, call up the SEC commish, and ask,
"So, how does it feel to be the G5? Because this is exactly what you've done to them. This is their life every season. Sucks, doesn't it?"

Last edited:
Reactions: caliherd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT