ADVERTISEMENT

MAC

Jan 22, 2021
Does anyone know if we sent out any feelers to the MAC? While I certainly prefer the Sunbelt over USA, I think I am one of the few posters who would have preferred at least trying to jump back up into the MAC. While the Sunbelt is currently a better football conference, the MAC is traditionally a far superior basketball conference. Plus, in regards to football, the MAC has a decent mix of some recent success (NIU, Buffalo), and some traditional mid-major powerhouses (that of course is a relative term, but Miami for example).

However, the main draw to the MAC for me would be the local rivalries (Ohio, Miami, etc.).

I need to research the how the TV/ESPN deals compare, but I was just curious if other posters were interested in the MAC as well, and whether or not Marshall looked into trying to get back into the MAC.

Overall, if the news about the BELT is true, its a good day- for a couple hours today I thought there was a real chance we could get left behind in USA.

Finally, when do we officially switch conferences?

I thought DD preferred the MAC according to some. In fact, including yourself. Ill have to find the post on HF.

I'm not sure if the MAC would vote us back in.

I thought DD preferred the MAC according to some. In fact, including yourself. Ill have to find the post on HF.

I'm not sure if the MAC would vote us back in.
No. He has never suggested the MAC. He likes playing the top teams as an OOC but would hate bussing around Ohio

I can understand the basketball concerns. The SBC really isn’t that great. That said, we can’t compare the SBC to the current C-USA. We have to compare to the likely remnants which potentially are FIU, WKU, MTSU, LT and UTEP. That’s still a solid group but not remotely enough to make it worth our sticking around. Together with Marshall, USM, JMU, ODU and Louisiana, we have a chance to build something solid basketball wise in the SBC while giving us awesome football rivalries, a regionally based conference and greatly reduced travel costs.

I’ll miss WKU and LT but unfortunately the times dictate that we need to separate so we should and hopefully will.

Not to mention, being a big fish in a small pond sometimes really helps a program. We win in basketball and football and our recruiting will improve dramatically. Winning in football will be tougher than we think, though!

I can understand the basketball concerns. The SBC really isn’t that great. That said, we can’t compare the SBC to the current C-USA. We have to compare to the likely remnants which potentially are FIU, WKU, MTSU, LT and UTEP. That’s still a solid group but not remotely enough to make it worth our sticking around. Together with Marshall, USM, JMU, ODU and Louisiana, we have a chance to build something solid basketball wise in the SBC while giving us awesome football rivalries, a regionally based conference and greatly reduced travel costs.

I’ll miss WKU and LT but unfortunately the times dictate that we need to separate so we should and hopefully will.

Not to mention, being a big fish in a small pond sometimes really helps a program. We win in basketball and football and our recruiting will improve dramatically. Winning in football will be tougher than we think, though!

Now there is NO Excuse to be middle of the pack. I was honestly hoping that this or next year would be DD's last. This move may have bought him 2 extra years (unfortunately).

Reactions: herdftblfan
The MAC, or I like to call it Future Phys-Ed Teachers of Ohio vs. Future Phys-Ed Teachers of Michigan, is living off an ESPN contract signed in a past era. When it expires, in 3 more years, the MAC will be lucky to get 1/15th of that money. As with it, its programs are still 80 or 90% subsidy (student fees and tax money).

When the Disney Dollars run out, there WILL be schools that simply drop out. It WILL happen. Asking students, many of them non-traditional aged and most of them female, to add 4 or 5 more
1000 $$ to their student loans so there can be football they don't watch and don't care about, is just not realistic today.

Do not buy a ticket on a sinking ship.

Reactions: HuntersvilleHerd
UTEP and Texas State really need to be in a different conference than the ones they are in. They need to find a western conference to play in. The Sun Belt needs to stay out of Texas and find a replacement to become even more Eastern based.

Southern football is better
Bullshit, everyone has their price. You think a low budget conference like the MAC can be picky about a program like ours that put it in the national spotlight for the majority of the years we were a member? (talking 2nd run)

That said, we will be in Sunbelt most likely.

Reactions: Catfanatic1979v1
Bullshit, everyone has their price. You think a low budget conference like the MAC can be picky about a program like ours that put it in the national spotlight for the majority of the years we were a member? (talking 2nd run)

That said, we will be in Sunbelt most likely.
For a host of reasons Southern football is better. Weather, Atmosphere, food. and general overall better areas to travel to. It is the experience.

Reactions: The Real SamC
UTEP and Texas State really need to be in a different conference than the ones they are in. They need to find a western conference to play in. The Sun Belt needs to stay out of Texas and find a replacement to become even more Eastern based.
and if the SBC thing happens we will still have 2 Texas schools to go along with 2 from Louisiana, 2 from Alabama, 2 from Mississippi and 2 from Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT