ADVERTISEMENT

mag picks us to go 6-6 this fall

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
I just saw where Collegefootballnews has picked us to go 6-6 this season. Do you guys think that is too low of a win total or just about right? If I were to fathom a guess at this juncture I would say 8-4 regular season - best case and 7-5 worst case. With all of the portal shuffling of the roster so much I really have no clue what to think anymore. Just curious

Reactions: HerdFB1
I just saw where Collegefootballnews has picked us to go 6-6 this season. Do you guys think that is too low of a win total or just about right? If I were to fathom a guess at this juncture I would say 8-4 regular season - best case and 7-5 worst case. With all of the portal shuffling of the roster so much I really have no clue what to think anymore. Just curious
I’d say that’s about right, unless we make a big splash or two in the portal soon.

Reactions: ohio herd
I see 8-4 or so as well. ECU may not be a formidable as I thought. They only return 1 WR and 3 OL on offense and lost a ton on defense as well. IF we play well, have a chance at 3-1 in the OOC. At App and Coastal will be tough games.
I'd say Coastal will be favored in the East.

I think that is possible and if so, the Huff honeymoon begins to end.

I'm an optimist so I'm thinking worse case 8-4 and hopefully better. Reserve the right to adjust prediction after results of VT and ECU.

Reactions: Jartard
I think that is possible and if so, the Huff honeymoon begins to end.

I'm an optimist so I'm thinking worse case 8-4 and hopefully better. Reserve the right to adjust prediction after results of VT and ECU.
I think a successful season is predicated on the passing game. Our defense and running game will be good

Last edited:
Nothing between 4-8 and 9-3 would surprise me.

What we do at ECU is going to tell us a lot about what we have.

SBC title or the season is a failure.

Keep the same impossible standards as the previous guy.
The transfer portal shouldn't be a problem for a HC who is an amazing recruiter.

Plus, the previous article was just so warm and fuzzy in relation to his personality, I fully expect the team to absorb every little detail of coaching he does...and it will be reflected on the field.

In short, considering both recent articles paint entirely different pictures, just wait and see.

If that's the case, goodness...considering last time we played them at home, Huff literally blew the game for MU.
It's the first road game of the season and it's against a rival. We have also never won down there. Crazy stat, but according to Herdzone here are the results.

1968....Lost.....20-49
1970....Lost....14-17
1978....Lost....0-45
2006....Lost....20-33
2008....Lost....16-19 (OT)
2010....Lost....14-35
2012....Lost....59-65 (2 OT)

Couple that with the questions we have on this team.

-Our starting QB is really raw
-OL struggled pretty bad last year and we have new starters.
-We have no #1 WR
-We don't believe in using TEs in the pass game.
-Our kicking game was pretty bad last year.
-We lost some key defensive players. I may be wrong, but we are only returning one staring LB in Eli Neal.
-Our OC is only in his second season and still figuring it out.
-We have a new DC

We have a lot of potential on the roster, but outside of Ali and Porter what guarantees do we have on the roster?

And yes. Huff choked that game away throwing that deep ball on 4th down when we were up 17 with 7 minutes to go. Being up 38-21 and then losing 42-38 at home is inexcusable. After that horrible call we give up 21 unanswered points.

You giving odds on 4-8??
I don't think it's the most likely outcome. I believe we'll finish in +.500 territory, but given all the uncertainties I wouldn't be shocked to go the other way either. Like you I reserve the right to adjust my expectations following ECU and VT. I am just not sold on Fancher. 4-8 and 9-3 are just my worst case/best case scenarios.

Reactions: Jartard

Where did you see it? Link?

6-6 is a garbage can prediction. We're winning the SunBelt this year. Defense is preseason top 25, Fancher is 5-1... we have a better running back that last year. We've added quality TE's.. the OC knows what type of offense he can work on all summer.. I've not been this excited for a Herd season in a while.. Good home opponents. Have a drink of this.. it tastes great ***sips icy cold drink***

6-6 is a garbage can prediction. We're winning the SunBelt this year. Defense is preseason top 25, Fancher is 5-1... we have a better running back that last year. We've added quality TE's.. the OC knows what type of offense he can work on all summer.. I've not been this excited for a Herd season in a while.. Good home opponents. Have a drink of this.. it tastes great ***sips icy cold drink***
I mean ok, but do you really think Laborn was a step down from Ali? RB was not an issue last season. Also that 5-1 record being attributed to Fancher is a bit dishonest. The defense holding teams in check played more of a role.

Kind of why I would like to see that link? ESPN Power index has us at #1 in the Sunbelt. So.... not sure where CFN
gets 6-6. I cannot find it online for CFN website.

The Herd has a very tough schedule and outside of Albany in the opener there will not be any cupcakes. I believe we will have a better team this year but it will take some very hard play and some luck to have a really great season. Injuries always play a huge part. I predict a 7-5 season and anything better than that with the schedule as it is would be an accomplishment. It is going to be a very interesting season and really hard to predict now.

All I believe about the upcoming season is this -

If we win less than 7 then Huff is no better than Doc and we didn’t upgrade and may have downgraded.

If we win 7-8 then we are about break even over the prior administration.

If we win 9 or more, we upgraded.

This is year 3. This is Huff’s team now. The results will be a direct result of the choices he has made in hiring, recruiting and style. If that magazine is right, it’s time to put together a short list for the AD. I hope that we win 10+, but that also means it’s time for the AD to put together a short list.

Cant wait for some posters to start with - "we should have kept ......"
All I believe about the upcoming season is this -

If we win less than 7 then Huff is no better than Doc and we didn’t upgrade and may have downgraded.

If we win 7-8 then we are about break even over the prior administration.

If we win 9 or more, we upgraded.

This is year 3. This is Huff’s team now. The results will be a direct result of the choices he has made in hiring, recruiting and style. If that magazine is right, it’s time to put together a short list for the AD. I hope that we win 10+, but that also means it’s time for the AD to put together a short list.
This is he most difficult schedule we've had in years. No Charlotte's on this one, oops forgot they beats us a few years back. No Rice's - oh, they beat us as well. JK.
Certainly be an interesting year. Huff and staff knew our weaknesses, let's see if they've taken steps to correct them.

Last edited:
I feeling that MU will surprise a BUNCH of folks this year; on the positive side of surprise. Oddly enough, I watch the maturity in the face of kids that come in more than anything else. For years, MU played Boys against Men; under-developed athletically, even if very talented for their size. We won with guts and finesse, now we've started winning with physicality from mature bodies and guts/finesse as well, All bodes well for MU football for the coming year; then Huff gets real money offers and we start again.

I feeling that MU will surprise a BUNCH of folks this year; on the positive side of surprise. Oddly enough, I watch the maturity in the face of kids that come in more than anything else. For years, MU played Boys against Men; under-developed athletically, even if very talented for their size. We won with guts and finesse, now we've started winning with physicality from mature bodies and guts/finesse as well, All bodes well for MU football for the coming year; then Huff gets real money offers and we start again.
We could, but it's all going to hinge on how much Fancher has improved.

Reactions: i am herdman

Damn, Jean Piaget, you can see all that?

Damn, Jean Piaget, you can see all that?
Why GHMY? Why throw a sh!t pie at a positive opinion? Especially when you consider that, given Huff’s ethos & methods (Saban), & that year 3 is where most of us say it’s put up or shut up time?
I just don’t get making fun of a post when there’s no discernible reason to do so…….

There are simply too many variables to make predictions right now... Based on what we have coming back, there should be optimism, but we are also facing the toughest schedule we've had in a long time.

Would 5-7 shock me? - No
Would 9-3 shock me? - No

There are simply too many variables to make predictions right now... Based on what we have coming back, there should be optimism, but we are also facing the toughest schedule we've had in a long time.

Would 5-7 shock me? - No
Would 9-3 shock me? - No
That about sums it up in nutshell Rhino.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I’ll never say we should have kept Doc, just saying if we end up with a coach that wins 7-8 a year did we really get rid of him or just dress him differently?

I hope we go 14-0 and win an access bowl. I would be super happy with 10-4 with a conference championship. I would be mostly happy with at least winning the East. Anything below that is what we got most of the time with the previous staff.

Here is how I see it. We finish 6-6 to 8-4 with below average to average qb play. Alot of moving parts on this (and everyones) team so it is really hard to get a read on who is gonna be good or bad. Now.....with that being said, if we can get above average to good qb play I see 9-3 to 10-2 season and we play in the championship game.

As posted above, this is a very interesting season for Huff. His team, his kids, his coaches and his plays. Did we upgrade or down grade? Coach Huff is on the clock! Personally hoping we are looking for a new coach after this season. Means we showed out and it's a win win for everyone.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I am glad Huff is here. The culture change within the program seems light years better. The qaulity of kids and talent seems better. He's coaching in a tougher league. Other than 2014, what did Doc really do? He gave us 2016, the worst season in 3 decades. He lost the team more often than not. Had huge attrition issues, crime/arrests. Had some of our most embarrassing blowout losses ever! Yeah, the man gave us some consistency (kudos) after the Snyder years, but he wasn't much better than Snyder. He coached in a much easier league with easier schedules.
And I say, thank God Tommy Shuler convinced Cato to come here. If not, DH may never have sniffed the success he had.

That said, it's year 3. Huff knows our issues from last season. Let's hope he's addressed them. He also faces one of the most difficult schedules we've had in many years.

sorry johns I have a life away from HerdNation LOL

Didn't say you didn't. Not sure why you didn't post the link to start with. That article is by a writer from USA Today, not CFN. Explains why the 6-6. Usually, CFN is very friendly to MU.

Why GHMY? Why throw a sh!t pie at a positive opinion? Especially when you consider that, given Huff’s ethos & methods (Saban), & that year 3 is where most of us say it’s put up or shut up time?
I just don’t get making fun of a post when there’s no discernible reason to do so…….

Given the current outlook of college football, you'll be lucky to even remember/recognize any players from here on out.
Not to mention, if it's all about a player being mature enough to win games over being mature elsewhere, then Marshall hasn't really lost a step.

Of course, the post I was referring to, is going to stand entirely on its own when this team loses a game. maturity and decision making, as well as athletic/physical ability, basically everything that guy said is supposed to blossom, won't, in the eyes of everyone else and will be criticized, long after they depart the following year.

Given the current outlook of college football, you'll be lucky to even remember/recognize any players from here on out.
Not to mention, if it's all about a player being mature enough to win games over being mature elsewhere, then Marshall hasn't really lost a step.

Of course, the post I was referring to, is going to stand entirely on its own when this team loses a game. maturity and decision making, as well as athletic/physical ability, basically everything that guy said is supposed to blossom, won't, in the eyes of everyone else and will be criticized, long after they depart the following year.
Who cares? It’s one man’s opinion, or have we already jumped the shark on people being “entitled” to their own thoughts?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Folks, got to THINK and BE positive instead of sitting here in early May moaning "Woe is me" and wringing our hands! Surely most should realize that a 7-5 or even a 6-6 record this fall will surely ensure the HERD a nice slot in the Huckleberry Bowl to be played in Pea Patch Stadium in some backwater Southern venue come December!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT