ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD Marshall @ Appy State

Looked at my wife before the play and said no matter what it is 3rd down we are throwing a bomb to gammage. Announcers calling for picking up 10 to give yourself a shot at 6 on 4th. I said no way possible he even looks at anyone else on 3rd down and gammage is streaking up the sideline in double coverage. Ball is snapped bam ball is out up left sideline into double coverage to who? Bingo. Gammage. There is no read whatsoever on 3rd down.

Well, we are just not real good. Not good game management. Defense is bad. Need tds instead of field goals. Don't know what to do on 3 and 16. Can't tackle.

This team will be lucky to win 6 games at this point.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Where is Owen Porter? That young man brings it. Too many missed tackles by the front 7 and the secondary can’t cover.

Out coached again. We’re the best team in the nation at surrendering a lead in the fourth quarter. And…Wells doesn’t look like “the guy”.

Last week I felt like was a terrible coaching job... Tonight I realized we just don't have the players on defense, especially in the secondary.
Our defense is putrid. Our offense doesn't know how to manage the game and doesn't know the situation.

Reactions: caliherd
Young team. First year coach. We're just not a very good football team right now. Its tough but we've got to be patient. Gotta give Coach a couple of years to get this program rolling. This is a throw away year. Hate to say it but it is what it is.

Huff takes a 9 point lead in to the 4th quarter and loses yet another game Marshall should have won. Last week Huff blew a 17 point lead. Huff is a horrible game manager. You cant run that tempo on offense and keep putting your defense out there especially when EVERYONE knows your defense has issues. Time of Possession App State 37:21 Marshall 22:38 There is no excuse for this

Huff takes a 9 point lead in to the 4th quarter and loses yet another game Marshall should have won. Last week Huff blew a 17 point lead. Huff is a horrible game manager. You cant run that tempo on offense and keep putting your defense out there especially when EVERYONE knows your defense has issues. Time of Possession App State 37:21 Marshall 22:38 There is no excuse for this
The problem is when we slow down the tempo. Which we did in the 4 th qtr. play calling becomes vanilla. We stopped our offense

lots of problems tonight:

coaching- I don’t think this is on Huff. We didn’t execute and we should have. We play a fast pace on offense and that’s great. Our defense needs to play better.

Defense- front looked decent but our DBs look awful.

offense- Ali is impressive but we need to get creative with some of his runs. Wells made some impressive throws. He also was off on a few drives. And he continues (whether it’s on him, receivers or both) to punch it in in the Red zone. He has to improve, we can’t have empty drives or 3 pt drives in those situations.

Reactions: Marine03
Our defense is awful, our inside the redzone play calling is horrible.
Of course we were not going to get the ball back. The defense was already too gassed yet again to make stops
the defense was gassed the first drive of the game. They played equally suck in the first qtr as they did the 4th. We are awful on defense. It sucks. 2 games in a row we shouldn’t have lost.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The problem is when we slow down the tempo. Which we did in the 4 th qtr. play calling becomes vanilla. We stopped our offense
I don't know why the play calling would change to vanilla just because you slow the tempo down. The coaching staff should be able to make good play calls regardless.

Reactions: Tim_N_Montana
I don't know why the play calling would change to vanilla just because you slow the tempo down. The coaching staff should be able to make good play calls regardless.
I agree. We have coordinator issues. It seems when we slow the tempo down we lose a rhythm. The play calls are more conservative
A fast tempo offense isn’t a problem when your Dfense can force 3 and outs. This d hasn’t been able to do it.

The coordinator has to call plays that set players up to close the deal. Cramsey isn’t doing that at critical situations
It’s both, playcalling needs improvement and when it’s the right call the execution needs to take place. Right now neither the offense and the OC can execute unless there’s space. Some is the lack of separation by the WR’s, some is the inability to hit a tight window by Wells. The inability to threaten the defense inside the 20 gives the defense an advantage to load up against the run. That is the offenses issue in itself.

I agree. We have coordinator issues. It seems when we slow the tempo down we lose a rhythm. The play calls are more conservative
A fast tempo offense isn’t a problem when your Dfense can force 3 and outs. This d hasn’t been able to do it.
It also wouldnt be an issue if you had a lot of depth and could rotate guys and keep the defense fresh. The issue is we dont have a defense like either of those so its not very smart to keep putting the defense out there over and over again when you know they have problems to begin with and wearing them out by 4th quarter is only going to make those problems 10 times worse.

There is a very good reason that most teams dont try to run that type of tempo on offense, even when those teams have much better defenses than Marshall.

It’s both, playcalling needs improvement and when it’s the right call the execution needs to take place. Right now neither the offense and the OC can execute unless there’s space. Some is the lack of separation by the WR’s, some is the inability to hit a tight window by Wells. The inability to threaten the defense inside the 20 gives the defense an advantage to load up against the run. That is the offenses issue in itself.
How many run plays were we forced to make inside the 20 tonight?

I’d have to watch the replay to count

The inability to threaten the defense inside the 20 gives the defense an advantage to load up against the run.

We were in the red zone 4 times tonight. We scored 3 of 4 with 1 TD (rushing) with another critical missed FG.

we’ve been in the red zone 25 times this season. We’ve scored 19 times in the RZ with 15 of those being TDs.

we are a threat inside the 20. We are not atrocious inside the 20. If opponents Dfense are loading the box it’s because a majority of our TDs inside the 20 actually have been rushing. Not because we aren’t a threat to throw on them.

waterboy-we.gif

The conference sucks, that’s not a Win in my book
Au contraire Marine! Sam C begs to differ!! CUSA IS Marshall football. We should cherish every conference win, because all 14 member schools are trying, and besides, football is the ONLY reason for forming a conference, period.

From a Sam comment in the thread titled: “Can we return to the top?”

THIS CONFERENCE is OUR conference, made up of peer institutions who are all trying to play football at this level. Worthy of our respect.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT