ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall at Northern Iowa

Herdcyclones

Silver Buffalo
Jul 29, 2006
Heading to see the Herd take on Northern Iowa tomorrow. Not a huge hoops fan, but about an hour trip for me, so taking the family up. If you're watching on ESPN+, I'll be in the green Santa hat about 3 rows above the Marshall bench.

Not expecting good things outta the Herd. UNI is 10-1, and their only loss was when they pizzed away a late lead against the Mountaineers. Personally, I think they are the best team in the state of Iowa, better than Iowa State and Iowa.

Just wanted to share a little story about UNI that relates to my Herd fandom. So I moved to WV from Iowa around 1989. Not a real big college football fan at the time, but I do recall watching the Herd on TV a few times after that.

So in '91 the Herd was hosting UNI in the 1-AA playoffs. My bro was going to UNI, I had some UNI gear, so I figured I'd go over to Huntington from my home in suburban Pinch, to watch the Panthers along with my wife. Walking around before the game, we were treated so nicely. "Have a beer" "Want some food?" "Did you have a good trip?" "Tell me about UNI." Just a really positive experience as a "visiting" fan.

Northern Iowa (with Kurt Warner on the bench!) got stomped by Marshall. So despite that, I had a really good time at the game. Liked it so much I started going to games to cheer for Marshall. And a fandom was born.

Eventually moved back to Iowa. Only have been to a couple of Herd games since, and now Iowa State Cyclones football takes up most of my football time. In fact, heading down to watch the Clones play Notre Dame in the Camping World Bowl.

So anyway, there is my story regarding Sunday's BB opponent. My son just graduated from UNI and has a buddy on the team, so him, my wife, and daughter will be sporting the purple. But I'm gonna have the green on and see what happens.

Last edited:
Is Iowa large enough to have directional schools?
There are only 3 state universities in Iowa. Iowa State with about 34,000 undergrads, U of Iowa with about 26,000 and Northern Iowa with around 11,000.
There are no smaller state schools like Fairmont State, Glenville State, WV Tech, like West Virginia does.

And we've got 3 million people and 24 million hogs. So the farmers like it when McDonalds starts selling McRibs.

Herdcyclones - great story! Pretty unique, seeing as how most of us are Alums. I feel better the last couple of games since Andy Taylor becam eligible. He is a true fresh but we are definitely more consistent when he’s on the floor. Will be looking for the Green! Go Herd

Reactions: Herdcyclones
Heading to see the Herd take on Northern Iowa tomorrow. Not a huge hoops fan, but about an hour trip for me, so taking the family up. If you're watching on ESPN+, I'll be in the green Santa hat about 3 rows above the Marshall bench.

Not expecting good things outta the Herd. UNI is 10-1, and their only loss was when they pizzed away a late lead against the Mountaineers. Personally, I think they are the best team in the state of Iowa, better than Iowa State and Iowa.

Just wanted to share a little story about UNI that relates to my Herd fandom. So I moved to WV from Iowa around 1989. Not a real big college football fan at the time, but I do recall watching the Herd on TV a few times after that.

So in '91 the Herd was hosting UNI in the 1-AA playoffs. My bro was going to UNI, I had some UNI gear, so I figured I'd go over to Huntington from my home in suburban Pinch, to watch the Panthers along with my wife. Walking around before the game, we were treated so nicely. "Have a beer" "Want some food?" "Did you have a good trip?" "Tell me about UNI." Just a really positive experience as a "visiting" fan.

Northern Iowa (with Kurt Warner on the bench!) got stomped by Marshall. So despite that, I had a really good time at the game. Liked it so much I started going to games to cheer for Marshall. And a fandom was born.

Eventually moved back to Iowa. Only have been to a couple of Herd games since, and now Iowa State Cyclones football takes up most of my football time. In fact, heading down to watch the Clones play Notre Dame in the Camping World Bowl.

So anyway, there is my story regarding Sunday's BB opponent. My son just graduated from UNI and has a buddy on the team, so him, my wife, and daughter will be sporting the purple. But I'm gonna have the green on and see what happens.
Herdcyclones,
I will be at that Notre Dame game as well. I live just outside of Tampa so it’s an easy drive. Not really a ND OR IS fan, but should be a good game.

Reactions: Herdcyclones
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT