ADVERTISEMENT

Caldwell’s Predecessor at Tennessee

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Here is what the coach at Tennessee was making so we assume Kim should have a similar financial package which - obviously - is more than Marshall.
Lady Vols basketball coach Kellie Harper received a $100,000 raise with her one-year contract extension, which was agreed to in principle in April.

In Harper's last contract extension in 2022, her annual supplemental pay was $725,000, which was a $200,000 raise that became effective on Jan. 1, 2022. The contract extension Harper signed on May 18 raises her annual supplemental pay to $825,000, which was effective on May 1, 2023, and raises her overall annual compensation to $1.1 million.

Reactions: Jartard
You certainly can't fault Kim for taking this incredible offer. My take is that she was too successful at Marshall. Maybe if she hadn't won so many games this year but still made the tourney, we would still have her. It was a great hire by Spears and it was an enjoyable season. Next woman, or man, up

You certainly can't fault Kim for taking this incredible offer. My take is that she was too successful at Marshall. Maybe if she hadn't won so many games this year but still made the tourney, we would still have her. It was a great hire by Spears and it was an enjoyable season. Next woman, or man, up
No, she had to take that job, incredible opportunity! Don't think she'll win like Summitt but no one will!

Spot on... No way anyone can be mad that she took the job at UT... Top tier pay, incredible facilities, one of the top 3-4 programs in the country in terms of tradition, great recruiting area, etc. She will be able to look across the river and see the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame from her office, which is pretty cool.

Why cant I be mad at that?
Lets make this simple...

You make $100k a year at your job, and you are really good at it... A much larger company, with more financial resources than your current company will ever have, comes to you and offers you $300k a year to do the same thing you are doing now.

You take said new job and the massive pay increase.

Should/would your customers be mad at you? -- Of course not, they would be happy for you. That's how it works in the real world, but somehow superfans get butt hurt when a coach leaves "their" school.

Reactions: Elkview
Cool, ok, then I am a child. Why would I be happy that a coach left. Makes no sense.
It shows the misplaced belief system you hold in your fandom. From the top down, AD, coaches, players - they don’t have loyalty to fans of a school, yet you believe they all deserve blind loyalty from fans.

We all want the school to be successful, most of us just realize that you don’t get that just by being loyal to people that aren’t loyal to you. If someone is not good, you get rid of them and find someone better because you want the school to win. You don’t stick with them just because they are failing while wearing Kelly Green (or black these days). Because, as this shows, if they are highly successful, they will bolt on the fans in a heartbeat.

Do you think Clark would play in her system, the gals from SC? I doubt it. They want to be on the floor every minute and get numbers for WNBA attention. We'll see if Kim can convince the top talent to do that. Or, she'll have to adjust, and that may not work.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
Do you think Clark would play in her system, the gals from SC? I doubt it. They want to be on the floor every minute and get numbers for WNBA attention. We'll see if Kim can convince the top talent to do that. Or, she'll have to adjust, and that may not work.
Twolf - I hear you. But consider this:
Her trademark is the unique style she operates. If she were to abandon what got her there, she just is another coach in an arms race to get the best/pay the most.
So, does she necessarily need 5 star recruits? I say no.
Look no further than Team 1. (that’s the Herd)
If she can take low Div 1 talent & mold them into her scheme with great success, then she can get 3 star recruits and be more than effective. She also now will get the centers she didn’t have here.

Cool, ok, then I am a child. Why would I be happy that a coach left. Makes no sense.
No one is saying you should be happy that we have to fill a coaching position... But you absolutely should be happy for her as a person. She did a great job for us, and now she is getting an opportunity in her career that is in the top 3-4 positions in her field. That is called being a good human being.

You don’t have to be happy, Aaron. But you have no cause to be “mad” (your word) unless you are so blinded by your MU obsession that you can’t see what a great opportunity this is for Kim, and you also quickly forgot the enormous positives that were created for the Lady Herd in one short year.

Twolf - I hear you. But consider this:
Her trademark is the unique style she operates. If she were to abandon what got her there, she just is another coach in an arms race to get the best/pay the most.
So, does she necessarily need 5 star recruits? I say no.
Look no further than Team 1. (that’s the Herd)
If she can take low Div 1 talent & mold them into her scheme with great success, then she can get 3 star recruits and be more than effective. She also now will get the centers she didn’t have here.
You may be spot on. I just think she'll need to get high level talent to compete. The system is proven and hard work can overcome some talent deficiencies. We'll see what happens. It'll be interesting for sure.

You may be spot on. I just think she'll need to get high level talent to compete. The system is proven and hard work can overcome some talent deficiencies. We'll see what happens. It'll be interesting for sure.
You’re right, and one of her challenges is that SEC caliber talent will have multiple players that can dribble out of traps and/or pass accurately up the floor to beat it.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I think it’s great. It shows that you can come here, win here, and propel your career to a higher level here.
Should make this job much more appealing.

I want a coach that comes here, kicks tail, moves up the ladder, rinse and repeat.

If that’s happening it’s a great thing for Marshall athletics.

Even still. She took a program that wasn't even a blip on the WBB radar, won a conference championship, and took them to the NCAA Tournament in one season. Regardless of the Win column, what she did was nothing short of amazing. Now the question is can she bring that success with her or did she catch lightning in a bottle.

I still think she'll be successful, but the bar for Lady Vol basketball is pretty darn high.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT