ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall marketing

So, we should save our dollars and effort and not do a thing to promote the team, and games in an effort to get fans to attend or build the donor base?
I think there could be some easy, quicker, and inexpensive improvements - clean up the Joan with paint & fix items needed, and get the students back to the games. Your best ROI of marketing is spending on the students to get them in the stadium for games.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I think there could be some easy, quicker, and inexpensive improvements - clean up the Joan with paint & fix items needed, and get the students back to the games. Your best ROI of marketing is spending on the students to get them in the stadium for games.
Sadly, the student attendance has sucked for several years. Agree 100%, gotta get them engaged and back in the stadium

Sadly, the student attendance has sucked for several years. Agree 100%, gotta get them engaged and back in the stadium

Gotta figure out how to get MU to actively engage with the students directly on gamedays.
The old farts complaining about rap music, doesn't help.
I've always said, designate tailgate spots for various student groups/organizations, maybe local businesses can have a small incentive for attendance with ticket stub...like if Ali rushes for over 100 yards, all MU student attendees get a free small smoothie from Wendy's or something.

Gotta figure out how to get MU to actively engage with the students directly on gamedays.
The old farts complaining about rap music, doesn't help.
I've always said, designate tailgate spots for various student groups/organizations, maybe local businesses can have a small incentive for attendance with ticket stub...like if Ali rushes for over 100 yards, all MU student attendees get a free small smoothie from Wendy's or something.
I assume the students get free tickets, give them space for college kids to tailgate with a DJ with music they like, student contests/giveaways each quarter and half, & a drawing at the end of the game who has to stay to win.

Be honest, what percentage of MU students do you think want Rap Music played during our football games?

Be honest, what percentage of MU students do you think want Rap Music played during our football games?
All you have to do is watch the reaction when various songs are played on the PA. My group has made an effort to watch and see what happens, again, each of us agreeing something needs to be done to engage the fans and get them moving. Last year, the songs that seemed to get the most interaction were YMCA, Sweet Caroline and Thunderstruck. As for the rap - not much of a reaction, assuming most couldn't understand it due to our top notch PA system. lol!

The DJ Herdthat experiment was lame and sucked. Agree about moving him to the lots on a rotating basis, that would be better. jmo.

Define "want."
As in, would request be the ONLY thing played at games or would like a variety of music but also wouldn't register their dislike for it on a fan message board?

To get to the heart of it, a lot.
I'd say 90%+ would like some rap/hip-hop to be played at games.

Do you think Buck Owens is going to top Jack Harlow for requests from the 18-22yr old demographic, or even with the football team themselves?

All you have to do is watch the reaction when various songs are played on the PA. My group has made an effort to watch and see what happens, again, each of us agreeing something needs to be done to engage the fans and get them moving. Last year, the songs that seemed to get the most interaction were YMCA, Sweet Caroline and Thunderstruck. As for the rap - not much of a reaction, assuming most couldn't understand it due to our top notch PA system. lol!

The DJ Herdthat experiment was lame and sucked. Agree about moving him to the lots on a rotating basis, that would be better. jmo.

1 year and you're already writing the DJ off.
Give it at least another season to figure it out.
Also, you're wrong about the lack of reaction to rap, but it's likely because you don't know the song being played over the "terrible PA system."

I assume the students get free tickets, give them space for college kids to tailgate with a DJ with music they like, student contests/giveaways each quarter and half, & a drawing at the end of the game who has to stay to win.
We kind of already do that.
We blocked off 20th street to allow that to happen...

1 year and you're already writing the DJ off.
Give it at least another season to figure it out.
Also, you're wrong about the lack of reaction to rap, but it's likely because you don't know the song being played over the "terrible PA system."
I have daughters, so I have a little clue. Well if the reaction is anything, the students do a damn good job of impersonating standing mummies. Not that there is a whole hell of a lot of them there to begin with. The PA system, some times I can't tell if it's Little John, Pitbull, AC/DC or Charlie Brown's teacher.

Define "want."
As in, would request be the ONLY thing played at games or would like a variety of music but also wouldn't register their dislike for it on a fan message board?

To get to the heart of it, a lot.
I'd say 90%+ would like some rap/hip-hop to be played at games.

Do you think Buck Owens is going to top Jack Harlow for requests from the 18-22yr old demographic, or even with the football team themselves?
Considering maybe 20% of our crowds are under 25, yeah constant rap is just what everyone wants. And don't give me this shit about its for the players. They're playing the damn game, what kind of music is being played is the last thing on their minds, or should be. Ever played sports?

Considering maybe 20% of our crowds are under 25, yeah constant rap is just what everyone wants. And don't give me this shit about its for the players. They're playing the damn game, what kind of music is being played is the last thing on their minds, or should be. Ever played sports?
Hahahaha, yeah, the players shouldn't have a say about pre-game music, or in game music, or just a 15 second clip of music that can hype them up or anything in between plays.
Then again, by your logic, music should be the last thing on our minds...as we paid to, you know, watch a football game.

I have played sports, plenty, and hip hop/rap was huge, even back in the day.

Also, to say only people under 25 listen to rap is quite possibly the dumbest thing you could say...hell, the SB halftime show's performers negates your idiocy on its own.
Ever used your brain?

Hahahaha, yeah, the players shouldn't have a say about pre-game music, or in game music, or just a 15 second clip of music that can hype them up or anything in between plays.
Then again, by your logic, music should be the last thing on our minds...as we paid to, you know, watch a football game.
Nope. Wrong my friend. Music is a part of that glorious fan experience you enjoy. You know, the cluster that it is. We seem to be our own worst enemy in that regard. Most stadiums and schools seem to get it right, have it synced with other functions going on within the stadium. Pros certainly do.
Funny, when I played in high school, I couldn’t tell you or give a shit what was playing on the PA. I was focused on the game. Maybe our players should be as well. They listen to music before the game to hype up. That should be sufficient.

I have played sports, plenty, and hip hop/rap was huge, even back in the day.

Also, to say only people under 25 listen to rap is quite possibly the dumbest thing you could say...hell, the SB halftime show's performers negates your idiocy on its own.
Ever used your brain?
You’re an idiot. Quit being so ****ing high and mighty. Geezus get a sense of humor. Obviously you haven’t been to an MU game and looked at the crowd. Maybe camping out in mom’s basement playing videos games has distorted your thinking.

Nope. Wrong my friend. Music is a part of that glorious fan experience you enjoy. You know, the cluster that it is. We seem to be our own worst enemy in that regard. Most stadiums and schools seem to get it right, have it synced with other functions going on within the stadium. Pros certainly do.
Funny, when I played in high school, I couldn’t tell you or give a shit what was playing on the PA. I was focused on the game. Maybe our players should be as well. They listen to music before the game to hype up. That should be sufficient.

So, you're saying other, successful schools DO play music during games? I agree 100% on that....and what sort of music do you think gets played?
Some schools have actually re-written lyrics...to hype up the crowd and...whoa, the players too!?!?

So, you're saying other, successful schools DO play music during games? I agree 100% on that....and what sort of music do you think gets played?
Some schools have actually re-written lyrics...to hype up the crowd and...whoa, the players too!?!?

I know they play more of a variety and more popular songs than we do. NHL games are known for their music lists and what's played - any fan will tell you that, just a part of the big picture. Of course, the music is more for the fans than players anyway. But hey, It's Marshall, where we do it our own way damn it.

I can't believe we're having a discussion in stadium music. Good stuff.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
The way Tennessee's football program has fared in recent seasons, its pretty obvious that listening to MORE in-game music is just what they need!! :D

• Haha
I continually here on this site Big Green members get information, but what about the thousand that are not being approached. I was a member for several years, but quit contributing during Doc’s coaching period. Even though I asked for information after Huff’s hiring And never heard back. I have season tickets in basketball and attend football games as many times as I can and watch the director at all ballgames and he visits the same people every game and no one else. This makes he only has interest in them and no one else. I could go on ,but for our new AD toget the word, it is time for a change in the Big Green and get a strong mailing out to people in the Tri state and Southern part of the state to come back to the program in donations.

As Big Green members we all can play a part in growing the Big Green and that doesn’t mean adding a ton of members. Just add one is all I ask and we can double our membership.

so as a Big Green member I will ask you to rejoin the BG. If you finally found the website to rejoin on your own I will thank you. If not I am including the link where to renew. It is easy and how I do it every year.

there are things than can be done better. I get that and conversations I have been around with the new AD, he gets it. And you can bet our President gets it.

click below and get to where you can donate.

Big Green Membership

Good article in Marshall magazine interviewing Spears and detailing the Marshall Rises campaign.
Spears says he knows THAT WE NEEED TO IMPROVE THE GAME DAY ATMOSPHERE.

Also, Marshall Rises surpassed its goal of 150 Million and now has 175 Million in donations and pledges. Our endowment is now up to 203 Million.
Marahll hired a fundraising firm to carry out this project. Maybe they should do the same with Herd Rises on the athletic side. Maybe they have, not sure.

The MU staff could take some notes from the people who do the Dirty Birds game experience. Variety of music, interaction, scoreboard graphics, trivia and such.

The MU staff could take some notes from the people who do the Dirty Birds game experience. Variety of music, interaction, scoreboard graphics, trivia and such.
the dirty birds are a failed bush league baseball team that will be gone in two years. Baseball games are known for stupid trivia between innings, running across the field, some stupid hot dog mascot race, etc.

Football is totally different. We want rap music. Big hits. Cold beer. And old people to stop complaining about shyt.

the dirty birds are a failed bush league baseball team that will be gone in two years. Baseball games are known for stupid trivia between innings, running across the field, some stupid hot dog mascot race, etc.

Football is totally different. We want rap music. Big hits. Cold beer. And old people to stop complaining about shyt.
I think we found who is in charge of our game day operations. Lol!
This is hilarious. Not sure if you are serious or not, but this gave me a good laugh. Tell Spears that and he’ll laugh your ass out of the Schewey.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
It means they should work more on marketing strategies or change the marketing department. Nowadays, there are a lot of methods how you can promote something online and not only. Multiple digital marketing agencies and strategies can help you get more customers. Also, there are such services as Belkins.io. They can help you find new leads if you work in a small niche. For example, it was extremely helpful when I opened my business. They helped me to find my first clients that could write reviews the services I was providing.

Last edited:
Let's start bye saleing Marshall iteams outside of a 10 miles range. And Let's Offer the Marshall name/likeness to be made. It's not worth shit if your not buying it. Marshall is 30 years behind the times and stuck on itself time to wake up and look around your getting left behind because you think your setting on a gold mine. Lol again if your not saleing it your not buying it means zero $$$

Well, we did get the goal posts painted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT