ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall picked to finish 4th by media

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a all or none feeling. MU will be extreme, lots of wins or lots of losses, don't see us in the middle.

Well, going just by this poll, if MU is going to go 6-6 or better in 2017, it is going to have to beat one or more teams that it should be an underdog against: WKU, MTSU and ODU, the top 3 predicted teams in CUSA East; UTSA and So. Miss, the 2nd and 3rd predicted teams in CUSA West; and win a game or two against non-con. foes like Cryami, Cincy and NTSU. Another requisite would also require the Herd to pick up a road win or two. Not impossible, but a difficult task nevertheless.

2016 abberation or constellation? We will know by 9.3.17

Comes down to leadership and will this team start playing as a team instead of wearing earrings and fuscha and acting like kids on the sideline. Doc should have cleaned house IMO but I'm not the coach.

It's been a hard year on Doc, one of his close mentors Leon McCoy passed, he lost the team last year and in turn lost the fan base and probably much of his internal and external political support.

4th could very well be right, or very well, be very wrong.

Who shows up ???

The personnel isn't there. Our depth is too thin. We might be flashy and dangerous, we might even win a game or two we shouldn't, but when push comes to shove, our better opponents will just grind us down.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
4th is about right, and only that because the two directional Floridas and Charlotte have no business in Division I. This team, and especially this QB, just Q U I T last year and phoned it in. I can see the same and the next crew in here may have to run off several program cancers.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I agree the 2016 team did quit. I really felt bad for the seniors that established the winning culture.

A repeat season may portend of a Head Coach change. However, MHs policy of granting extensions each time we win a title/bowl has led us now to the point of having to buy the coaches contract out at a point we can't afford to. MH needs to rethink that policy in the future. JMO

The fact that Miami OH at home is considered a game that's a must win and a we will know how our season will be after this game seriously makes me sick. They were 6-7 including a loss to Eastern Illinois last year. They played a schedule similar to ours and had exactly zero signature wins. All of their wins came over other MAC schools. They then lost to a sub 500 SEC team in a bowl game.

This is the Goliath that awaits us to start 2017. The team that will determine our season. If last year was truly an abberation then we should win this game that is being played AT HOME by 3 touchdowns. The fact this is a game we are very worried about and we are not favored really shows where the confidence in our coach, our team from fans and the media is. Normally we would be talking about NC State and to a lesser extent Cincinnati but not this year, the mighty Red Hawks are coming to town.

Man I hope Doc proves everybody wrong!

Reactions: raleighherdfan
A repeat season may portend of a Head Coach change. However, MHs policy of granting extensions each time we win a title/bowl has led us now to the point of having to buy the coaches contract out at a point we can't afford to. MH needs to rethink that policy in the future. JMO

yeh, how dare he give his head coach a contract extension after winning a championship!

The fact that Miami OH at home is considered a game that's a must win and a we will know how our season will be after this game seriously makes me sick. They were 6-7 including a loss to Eastern Illinois last year. They played a schedule similar to ours and had exactly zero signature wins. All of their wins came over other MAC schools. They then lost to a sub 500 SEC team in a bowl game.

This is the Goliath that awaits us to start 2017. The team that will determine our season. If last year was truly an abberation then we should win this game that is being played AT HOME by 3 touchdowns. The fact this is a game we are very worried about and we are not favored really shows where the confidence in our coach, our team from fans and the media is. Normally we would be talking about NC State and to a lesser extent Cincinnati but not this year, the mighty Red Hawks are coming to town.

Man I hope Doc proves everybody wrong!

Many are picking Miami (OH) to compete for the MAC championship. Not saying that the gurus out there are infallible, but just as we hope last season isn't a reflection of this season for Marshall, so it could hold for Little Miami.

Right you are herdit44 every Division I program is trying to steal Doc away from Marshall. Oh my what shall I do? Well I will reward the coach for winning CUSA in football (yes he deserved it) but why grant extensions when we win bowl games and there is ZERO chance someone wants Doc! Cmon herdit44.

but why grant extensions when we win bowl games and there is ZERO chance someone wants Doc! Cmon herdit44.

I don't know the circumstances of when he was extended and how many years were left on his contract, but there are a few reasons to do it:

1) If you let the guy go without giving him some sort of reassurance, positive reinforcement, bonus after winning the conference, it isn't good business. A guy won't want to work for a boss who doesn't open the wallet after being very successful, which winning a conference is.

2) If not given an extension, when/if another school comes coming around, that head coach will be harder to hold onto. You don't start building a relationship between a school/AD/head coach when another school starts snooping around and getting interested; you do it well before then. Assume Doc wasn't given an extension after three straight 10 win seasons. Then, Pitt comes calling. If Pitt had offered him $2 million/year, Marshall has a much better chance of keeping him if they had already given him an extension and then increase his salary to $1 million/year after Pitt's offer comes. If nothing is done until another school gives him a better offer, why would that coach want to stay? It's too late at that point.

3) Most important reason- recruiting. If a head coach only has one or two years left on a deal, other coaches are using that in recruiting.

"Oh, you verballed to Marshall because you have a good relationship with Doc? Well, I hope you end up having a good relationship with whomever their next coach is, because Doc only has one year left on his contract and the AD refuses to give him an extension. That isn't a good sign. My AD just gave me another 2 year extension on top of my 3 years already left- I will be your coach your entire career."

Reactions: EastsideofWestside
You have the best IAF in all of G5 or possibly P5.
You have one of the nicest stadiums in all of G5.
You have one of the best fan bases in all of G5.
You're picked to finish 4th in a watered down G5 conference.
Your super QB is all about HIM, wearing fuscha and earrings and you enabled it, and are bringing him BACK. Your call.

I hope your right Doc, but I don't think you are. By early October your goose may be cooked. I'll buy Chase's earrIngs on eBay and sell them to cross dresses here in the ATL for top dollar!

Win baby just win, and drop all the flash. Flash is not Marshall Football.

Grinding out a great team win IS Marshall Football.

2017, we will know by 9-3-17.

You have the best IAF in all of G5

You're on crack.

You have the best in . . . possibly P5.

You're on crack and meth.

You have one of the nicest stadiums in all of G5.

You're on crack, meth, and heroin.

You have one of the best fan bases in all of G5.

I am running out of narcotics, but you're still a dumbass.

Your super QB is all about HIM, wearing fuscha and earrings and you enabled it, and are bringing him BACK. Your call.

What does a player wearing certain colored clothes and earrings have to do with his ability as a football player?

and drop all the flash. Flash is not Marshall Football.

Where do you get that from? Marshall's best and most famous player ever is Randy Moss who played (and wore) with a ton of flash. Marshall has never, at least in the modern era, been known as a grind-it-out, heavy personnel, run-it-down-your-throat football team. They have been well known as a flashy team with speed and the deep ball. Marshall football is far more flash than old-school.

Win baby just win,.

. . . unless you wear certain colored clothes off of the field, wear earrings, or have "flash." In that case, you can't be at Marshall.

And you aren't Al Davis or Khaled, so steal somebody else's line.

Reactions: jocktalker
LOL .....NAME ME WHICH G5 HAS A BETTER IAF NOW.

NOW.

NOW.

NOW. Then post a pic , dimensions , ability to hold a track meet inside , ability to hold golf and baseball practice inside. Full football field inside. Retractable goal posts both ends inside.

Post it NOW. Or please go back to Morgantown and drink the Holgerson pee.

LOL, I'll give this to eerbillys, at least their persistent in their ignorance and delusions. Must be the moonshine.

One more time. Read my post.

NOW.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Then post a pic , dimensions , ability to hold a track meet inside , ability to hold golf and baseball practice inside. Full football field inside. Retractable goal posts both ends inside.

How does being able to host a track meet or have golf or baseball practice in it help Doc? It doesn't. If anything, it hurts. For instance, that track cuts off the Marshall end zone. Want to work in goal line fades as a QB or receiver? Good luck with that. The end zones don't even have lines in the corner, so you can't tell where to run the route or throw the ball. Baseball/golf practice? Great. Now, Doc is forced to have to share the facility with other sports and work around their schedules wherein other IPFs don't force football coaches to have to do that. Try to keep the context in the discussion, moron.

UConn:

275-800-600f-ae9ae04c915e6024114a84239f656ed0

93940716564ec898c431333d243686d1.jpg

070C-608-AB.jpg

ULL:

Moncla_Indoor1_New_.jpg

Moncla-Indoor2.jpg

Ohio:

walter-fieldhouse-lg.jpg

UCF:

9806981-595x296.jpeg

Houston:
- Just spent $20 million on it. It will officially be open for the season

nxAG1cr.jpg

New Mexico:

130859-w416h310.jpg

Marshall:

12344157.jpeg

Utah State, Boise, and some others have solid IPFs. Are all of these better than Marshall's? No. Are some? Yes. Does Marshall have the best indoor in G5? No. Does them having the ability to hold a track meet in their IPF help Doc for football? No, and that is the discussion.

Memphis' will open next year.

Now, tell us how Marshall "possibly" has the best IPF in the country in FBS even though they aren't realistically in the top 20 of IPFs. Tell us how Marshall has one of the best stadiums in G5. Tell us how Marshall has one of the best fan bases in G5. Then, explain all of your other idiotic comments that you have neglected to defend.

Encompassing all football facilities, Marshall has one of the top 2 in C-USA. That is far different from being at or near the top for all G5s.

Last edited:
Eerbilly idiot, there isnt one of those that comes close. Yes a track helps with training, lateral movement when practicing at high speeds, safety from lowerable posts....on and on and on.

We PAID For IT.

Have a nice day now.

Doc has to deliver, THAT is the discussion.

Eerbilly idiot, there isnt one of those that comes close. Yes a track helps with training, lateral movement when practicing at high speeds, safety from lowerable posts....on and on and on.

We PAID For IT.

Have a nice day now.

Doc has to deliver, THAT is the discussion.

actually jim justice and chris cline mostly paid for it, but whatever.

actually jim justice and chris cline mostly paid for it, but whatever.
Don't forget the people of West Virginia - a huge chunk of the capital campaign that built the IPF came from the state's "Bucks for Brains" program, where WVU and Marshall were offered matching funds for private donations used toward educational efforts. We put a sports medicine school in the IPF so we could use those dollars for athletics instead, and that's how Chris Cline got his name on a building that nice for only $5 million of his own money.

Reactions: GreenDuke
Don't forget the people of West Virginia - a huge chunk of the capital campaign that built the IPF came from the state's "Bucks for Brains" program, where WVU and Marshall were offered matching funds for private donations used toward educational efforts. We put a sports medicine school in the IPF so we could use those dollars for athletics instead, and that's how Chris Cline got his name on a building that nice for only $5 million of his own money.

he contributed slightly more than that, after his initial $5m he gave another $3.5m since we were short of our goal. so, between cline, justice, and the bucks for brains that's $18.5m of money raised.

how much did we ultimately raise as part of the vision campaign? this article says only $20m? http://wvmetronews.com/2013/04/26/ground-broken-on-new-indoor-facility/

Reactions: herdalicious
LOL .....NAME ME WHICH G5 HAS A BETTER IAF NOW.

NOW.

NOW.

NOW. Then post a pic , dimensions , ability to hold a track meet inside , ability to hold golf and baseball practice inside. Full football field inside. Retractable goal posts both ends inside.

Post it NOW. Or please go back to Morgantown and drink the Holgerson pee.

LOL, I'll give this to eerbillys, at least their persistent in their ignorance and delusions. Must be the moonshine.

One more time. Read my post.

NOW.

I will submit Akron. The Zips have a 30k seat stadium with plenty of club-seating and 17 private suites, IPF with full football field, 6-lane track, and golf practice with putting, indoor bunker, and video simulator, along with seating for 1200. Pretty nice.

Reactions: MARSHALL77
Eerbilly idiot, there isnt one of those that comes close.

UConn's, ULL's, and Ohio's are as nice or better. Houston's is better in one month.

Yes a track helps with training, lateral movement when practicing at high speeds, safety from lowerable posts....on and on and on.

They have 58,000 square feet of football field (well, not Marshall, because their field isn't full due to having attack that you boast about), yet they decide to do "lateral movement . . . at high speed" on the much smaller track than on a much larger football field which has the same turf they will be playing on? Yeah, that makes sense.

The IPF is better because it has lowerable posts to help with safety? How many FBS players have you seen injured due to the post in practices?

Doc has to deliver, .

That's fine. But in saying that, the things you are arguing and claim Doc has advantages in are false and unfair to him.

Marshall doesn't have the best IPF in G5 and possibly all of FBS.

Marshall doesn't have one of the nicest stadiums in G5.

Marshall doesn't have one of the best fan bases in G5.

Akron's program (even with the massive ESPN over-bid $$) is 69% subsidy,sells SEASON tickets for $60 with no donations required, and its LARGEST crowd (claimed, not audited) last year was less than 12K. AFAIK it has no BB (could not find one) and does not even show up on any of the copyright protection sports wear places (probably I'm wrong on that one, buy I could not find one, and I can find plently of Div IIs and below easily).

MU dominated the MAC so easily back in the day, because the MACers are kidding themselves being in I-A. Some of them are kidding themselves by having football at all. It is, and always was, a joke.

Greenhouse is right. We have the best facilities in the G5 and we have an actual fanbase. We have no excuses to not be far an away better than we are. Another year like last year, or even slightly better is a failure considering the faciliites, and the fanbase.

Akron's program (even with the massive ESPN over-bid $$) is 69% subsidy,sells SEASON tickets for $60 with no donations required, and its LARGEST crowd (claimed, not audited) last year was less than 12K. AFAIK it has no BB (could not find one) and does not even show up on any of the copyright protection sports wear places (probably I'm wrong on that one, buy I could not find one, and I can find plently of Div IIs and below easily).

MU dominated the MAC so easily back in the day, because the MACers are kidding themselves being in I-A. Some of them are kidding themselves by having football at all. It is, and always was, a joke.

Greenhouse is right. We have the best facilities in the G5 and we have an actual fanbase. We have no excuses to not be far an away better than we are. Another year like last year, or even slightly better is a failure considering the faciliites, and the fanbase.

Sorry, I was just talking G5 football facilities that rival Marshall's. Akron is definitely on par with us, football facility-wise.

Last edited:
Greenhouse is right. We have the best facilities in the G5

This takes ignorance and stupidity to a whole new level.

In both overall athletic facilities and just football related facilities, Marshall isn't even close to having the best G5 facilities.

Houston stomps Marshall. UConn stomps Marshall. ECU stomps Marshall. Boise stomps Marshall. Colorado State stomps Marshall. There are plenty of others that are as good or better.

Look, there are plenty of things you can find fault to blame Doc. Marshall has one of the top two football facilities in C-USA. But claiming Marshall has the best G5 facilities isn't fair to the current staff and makes you look dumber than usual.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
We may not be at the tip top, but we are definitely in the top 25% of G5 in football facilities. Which all things considered is amazing when comparing budgets of who would be ahead of us. What is ECU, Houston, UConn, BSU, Cincy, UCF budgets as compared to ours? Shoot, UConn more than doubles ours, and a few others like Memphis come close. To even say we are in the top 25% in facilities with that much of a differential to available funds isn't shabby at all.

We may not be at the tip top, but we are definitely in the top 25% of G5 in football facilities. Which all things considered is amazing when comparing budgets of who would be ahead of us. What is ECU, Houston, UConn, BSU, Cincy, UCF budgets as compared to ours?

At least six of those seven schools have better football facilities, so your "amazing" comment really doesn't amount to much comparing to those schools.

Now, if you want to look at schools with similar budgets, then fine. But listing a bunch of schools that have bigger budgets and better facilities doesn't prove anything. Further, there are two important aspects you are misrepresenting in looking at football facilities. One, you are trying to compare football facilities of schools in relation to their budget. But those budget numbers you are looking at include all sports spending. It isn't just football spending. Also, many schools sponsor more sports than we do. So, you can say "look, our budget is lower than Towson's, yet we have a lot better football facilities so that is amazing." In reality, Towson sponsors three more sports than Marshall, so their expenses probably will be more.

To logically reach the conclusion you are trying to, it would be important to either 1) look at the football budgets instead of the overall budget or at least 2) compare the budgets and number of sports each school sponsors.

Last edited:
Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
If there is a sport I'd like to see Marshall add it would be CREW.

Pretty big down south and in Ivy , with an easy walk to the Ahia river , add a keg and you have instant fan base.

If there is a sport I'd like to see Marshall add it would be CREW.

Pretty big down south and in Ivy , with an easy walk to the Ahia river , add a keg and you have instant fan base.

Don't believe you are serious but the Ohio River is not suitable for crew, for many reasons.

What's your thoughts Stoney is gay?

If you're a straight guy, beach volleyball (female) should be the first sport you want added.

On an institution/budget scale, it's the cheapest sport to add for multiple reasons. The facility is very cheap to build and maintain. The athletes are already on campus with full scholarships as regular volleyball players, so there is no increase needed in schollies. The head coach simply needs to be an assistant coach on the regular volleyball team. Provide an additional stipend to their regular volleyball salary, and it is cost efficient. The roster is very small, so travel/equipment/gear expenses are minimal.

And on warm spring days, you should get a decent student turnout if you select the correct volleyball girls to be wearing the beach volleyball attire.

Reactions: EastsideofWestside
If you're a straight guy, beach volleyball (female) should be the first sport you want added.

On an institution/budget scale, it's the cheapest sport to add for multiple reasons. The facility is very cheap to build and maintain. The athletes are already on campus with full scholarships as regular volleyball players, so there is no increase needed in schollies. The head coach simply needs to be an assistant coach on the regular volleyball team. Provide an additional stipend to their regular volleyball salary, and it is cost efficient. The roster is very small, so travel/equipment/gear expenses are minimal.

And on warm spring days, you should get a decent student turnout if you select the correct volleyball girls to be wearing the beach volleyball attire.

Got that right on the facility/equipment cost, C.K. How much could a net, a ball, a few tons of sand, and some String Bikinis cost??
:p

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
At least six of those seven schools have better football facilities, so your "amazing" comment really doesn't amount to much comparing to those schools.

Now, if you want to look at schools with similar budgets, then fine. But listing a bunch of schools that have bigger budgets and better facilities doesn't prove anything. Further, there are two important aspects you are misrepresenting in looking at football facilities. One, you are trying to compare football facilities of schools in relation to their budget. But those budget numbers you are looking at includes all sports spending. It isn't just football spending. Also, many schools sponsor more sports than we do. So, you can say "look, our budget is lower than Towson's, yet we have a lot better football facilities so that is amazing." In reality, Towson sponsors three more sports than Marshall, so their expenses probably will be more.

To logically reach the conclusion you are trying to, it would be important to either 1) look at the football budgets instead of the overall budget or at least 2) compare the budgets and number of sports each school sponsors.
Dude take a Xanax, seriously you are one sour individual and off base on most of what you say.

Reactions: 19MU88
Dude take a Xanax, seriously you are one sour individual and off base on most of what you say.

I'm "sour" for showing you how the conclusion you are trying to reach is illogical? Not "sour," but another "s" word- smarter.

I thought you took Sammy's advice and put me on ignore?

Speaking of advice, what advice were you given to rid yourself of the case of chlamydia that you caught? Did you get that taken care of?

Last edited:
he contributed slightly more than that, after his initial $5m he gave another $3.5m since we were short of our goal. so, between cline, justice, and the bucks for brains that's $18.5m of money raised.

how much did we ultimately raise as part of the vision campaign? this article says only $20m? http://wvmetronews.com/2013/04/26/ground-broken-on-new-indoor-facility/

We were told it was a 32 Mil project total. At least that was the initial number thrown out.
Only 372 or so contributed to the Vision according to sources in Old Main. I hope that is wrong and there were many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT