ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD Marshall vs #9 Xavier

First half was ugly. We rely way too much on the 3 point shot. When that isnt working, its hard to win because we cant play defense or do much else.

MU matches up very well with the X team playing this half. They’re down 3 starters and it’s pretty even, Herd is hanging around.

Marshall was taken to the woodshed the first half and just Blane out played the #9 team in the country in the second half. Great fight from our team tonight and even with the lose this game will still look good for a tournament bid I believe.

Reactions: kdbherdon
The second half help to peneva was key... it seemed like they took their big lead in the first half by constantly backing down peneva one on one.

Regardless, fun to watch them fight back and excited for the rest of the season.

Marshall was taken to the woodshed the first half and just Blane out played the #9 team in the country in the second half. Great fight from our team tonight and even with the lose this game will still look good for a tournament bid I believe.

Ah we're already at the point of needing to win the C-USA tourney to get into the dance.

Penava, too. He’s better than Kanter in my opinion.
Yeah, but a Kanter is what we could sorely use. A grad transfer with bulk and skills. Would compliment Penava greatly. Instead, we have Milan, who after 4 years in the program, brings . . . . bulk, no mobility and certainly NO skills!

Ah we're already at the point of needing to win the C-USA tourney to get into the dance.

1-4 in road OOC games, including a horrible, horrible loss against a terrible Morehead team pretty much ensure that, 73!!

Anyone in CUSA pretty much is at that point. We are a one bid league unless someone REALLY steps up.

The only team that could get in without winning the CUSA tourney is MTSU... They have two wins over SEC teams and their losses are to Auburn and perennial tourney team Belmont. Assuming MTSU has a relatively easy time with a weak conference, CUSA is probably going to be in a position where the tourney championship game will determine if its a one or two-bid league.

Lets say MTSU goes 14-2 in CUSA (which is realistic)... and finishes the regular season 23-5 with wins over Vandy and Ole Miss. If the Raiders win two CUSA tourney games they would be 25-5 going into the championship game. I think that resume would be good enough to get in even with a loss in the finals.

As I watched the game at the Cintas Center I saw a couple things from Marshall that were impressive. First off, #11 is very underrated. His stats look good on paper but he really showed up against guys bigger and better than him. I was very impressed by him. Also, I felt that Marshall actually ran more offensive sets last night than I have seen them do in past games and past years. They played a very good game against X (who were missing 2 regular starters and then a starter last night) and earned alot of respect from me. I also was impressed to see so many Herd fans at the game. Was great to see friends from Huntington and glad to hear they all enjoyed the gameday experience at X. I saw alot of ugly things from the Herd but overall they showed they wont back down and will play hard till the final horn.

Last edited:
As I watched the game at the Cintas Center I saw a couple things from Marshall that were impressive. First off, #11 is very underrated. His stats look good on paper but he really showed up against guys bigger and better than him. I was very impressed by him. Also, I felt that Marshall actually ran more offensive sets last night than I have seen them do in past games and past years. They played a very good game against X (who were missing 2 regular starters and then a starter last night) and earned alot of respect from me. I also was impressed to see so many Herd fans at the game. Was great to see friends from Huntington and glad to hear they all enjoyed the gameday experience at X. I saw alot of ugly things from the Herd but overall they showed they wont back down and will play hard till the final horn.
I thought part of our problem last night was that we didn’t run enough of our offense. The zone and Xavier’s length took us out of a lot of what we do offensively and there was a lot of just passing the ball around without any action. We finally started screening Goodin at the top of that zone and it opened up some driving opportunities for Elmore, which forced Xavier to pinch in to defend the ball, and then that finally opened up some perimeter shots in rhythm of the offense.

I thought part of our problem last night was that we didn’t run enough of our offense. The zone and Xavier’s length took us out of a lot of what we do offensively and there was a lot of just passing the ball around without any action. We finally started screening Goodin at the top of that zone and it opened up some driving opportunities for Elmore, which forced Xavier to pinch in to defend the ball, and then that finally opened up some perimeter shots in rhythm of the offense.

Agreed Sean. The things that I felt were "ugly" to watch per se were the contested, deep 3's taken by guys who shouldnt be shooting that far out (West comes to mind) and I know it was game 1 for him but the Wake transfer cant dribble worth a shit it seems. He would fumble it more often than dribble it. The roster is setup as one that can match alot of the teams they will face night in/night out. If you can get the ball screens on the wing to work-this Herd team has the chance to bury teams with their shooting. I thought for my money-#11/#33 and then at times #14 and #21 were guys who showed alot of skill and potential. I wasnt that impressed with #23/#50 or West.

Agreed Sean. The things that I felt were "ugly" to watch per se were the contested, deep 3's taken by guys who shouldnt be shooting that far out (West comes to mind) and I know it was game 1 for him but the Wake transfer cant dribble worth a shit it seems. He would fumble it more often than dribble it. The roster is setup as one that can match alot of the teams they will face night in/night out. If you can get the ball screens on the wing to work-this Herd team has the chance to bury teams with their shooting. I thought for my money-#11/#33 and then at times #14 and #21 were guys who showed alot of skill and potential. I wasnt that impressed with #23/#50 or West.
Yeah, don’t disagree on the ugly moments.

West is shooting 45% from behind the arc. I agree he didn’t look good last night, but he’s been a pleasant surprise this year. He’s a true freshman, who is only 5’11 and I think Xavier’s length and athleticism got to him offensively last night. But he did a pretty good job defensively, which he brings every night.

I’ll give Watson some time. The dude hasn’t played a game in almost two years and gets thrown into a game vs Xavier. He definitely had some moments where you wanted to cover your eyes, but he also did a great job defensively last night vs Blueit.

Mijovic is 5 fouls. That’s all he ever has been and will be gone after this season.

Darius George is going to be a really nice player for us. He’s forced to play a little out of position right now, but an offseason where he can put some muscle on and being allowed to play mostly the 3 position will do a lot for him. I think we could see him explode next season like Penava did this season.

You didn’t get to see much of him because I think he rolled his ankle diving out of bounds for a rebound, but Jannson Williams (#3) is also going to be a player.

We’re going to add 2 legit big men next season, along with a 6’7 wing player in Cam Brooks, and a 6’5 guard who can play positions 1-3 in Jeremy Dillon. This year was supposed to be a rebuilding year and I honestly thought it would be ugly. For us to look as good as we have this season, along with the additions, the development of so many young guys this offseason who are giving us big minutes this year, I’m EXTREMELY excited for what we could have next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT