ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD Marshall vs Ohio

And Boise wasn’t trying to run the score up. They faced a 3rd-and-3 with about 1:40 left. Marshall still had a time-out. If they had simply taken a knee on that play, it would have forced them into kicking a field goal which could have been blocked, missed, etc. Making it or not, it would have given Marshall the ball with 1:30+ left. They absolutely did the right thing by running the ball on 3rd-and-3 instead of taking a knee. When the fvck do you see a coach take a knee to kick a field goal and give the opponent the ball with 1:30 left?

Would you please pay attention to what people are talking about? I never said Boise was trying to run up the score. I never said Boise should have taken a knee on that third down run. Learn to read before you jump into a conversation.

What we are taking is the final play of the game where Boise took a knee to run out the clock. I was pointing out Boise was trying to play it safe and not take a chance on fumbling the ball. You got lucky on the previous play where Marshall could have taken possession on a fumble

Lol no, no it doesn’t happen all the time. We all make non-sensical posts on occasion. No need to keep doubling down on yours.
Its not about doubling down, its about what actually happens in football. A kicker will miss an extra point and the coaching staff will turn around and go for two the next time they score to try to make up for the missed points. It's called chasing points. It happens.

Would you please pay attention to what people are talking about? I never said Boise was trying to run up the score. I never said Boise should have taken a knee on that third down run. Learn to read before you jump into a conversation.

You said that Boise taking a knee wasn’t being classy, but rather, was done because they “dodged a bullet” on the previous play by a “missed call,” claimed Marshall should have been given the call, and that the refs blew a call.

Boise taking a knee had absolutely nothing to do with their QB losing control of the ball AFTER he was down. They took a knee, because it gave them the best chance to win the game, just like them running the ball on third down instead of taking a knee also gave them the best chance to win the game.

Your entire premise is flawed.

What we are taking is the final play of the game where Boise took a knee to run out the clock. I was pointing out Boise was trying to play it safe and not take a chance on fumbling the ball. You got lucky on the previous play where Marshall could have taken possession on a fumble
]

Well, no sh!t that’s what they were doing. Nobody needs to be told that. It doesn’t change the fact that your premise was wrong as was your repeated claim that the refs blew the call.

And I’m a Marshall fan, not a Boise fan.

Running the clock out on the opponent serves two purposes.
1. It shows you are in control.
2. It dangles opportunity in front of the defense but they can do nothing about it.

Doc could have scored. MU was near the 10 yard line with multiple runners breaking through the defensive line.
He chose not to. I think its more lasting that a team dangles the clock in front of you and runs it out versus scoring on you.

LEARN TO READ! Read this post slowly if you need to.

You said that Boise taking a knee wasn’t being classy, but rather, was done because they “dodged a bullet” on the previous play by a “missed call,” claimed Marshall should have been given the call, and that the refs blew a call.

Yes that is exactly what I said. And yes they did indeed dodge a bullet whether it was a fumble or not. It was very close which was my point. They could have lost the ball and gave it back to Marshall. I posted the video showing the fumble or near fumble that Marshall recovered. You say it wasnt a fumble, I say it was. It looks to me like the QB started to reach for the first down and the ball started moving and he tried to bring it back to his body so he didnt commit a turnover but he ended up losing it. Either way you want to look at it, Boise could have fumbled the ball in that situation which was my point, they dodged a bullet.

..They took a knee, because it gave them the best chance to win the game, just like them running the ball on third down instead of taking a knee also gave them the best chance to win the game.

You are agreeing with what I have been saying. Boise took a knee because it gave them the best chance to win. That's my point. They took a knee so they could win They didn't take a knee because they were being nice. They took a knee because it gave them the best chance to win. They didn't want to potentially commit a turnover like nearly happened the play before so they took a knee to end the game. Taking a knee = best chance to win.

What you are failing to understand is that some of our fans said the reason Boise took a knee was not because taking a knee gave Boise the best chance to win but because Boise didn't want to run up the score. They were being "classy", when in fact taking a knee had nothing to do with Boise being classy but doing it because it gave Boise the best chance to win.

You really need to pay attention to what people are saying instead of jumping in a conversation not knowing what you are talking about. I'm sure this is not the first time someone has needed to explain stuff for you

Yes that is exactly what I said.

And you are exactly wrong. I posted screenshots showing the QB in full control of the ball until his elbow crashes on the turf, at which point, the ball popped up.

Look at the replay in your own video. There’s nothing cloudy about it. He had complete control until his elbow hit the turf which marks him as down.

What you said was “ . . . if the officials dont blow the call.” They didn’t. You’re wrong.

What you said was “We should have had the ball at that point.” You’re wrong.

What you said was “ . . . Boise just dodged a bullet on a missed call . . . ” You’re wrong.

Nobody in their right mind can look at the replay in that video from the inside view and think it was a fumble. You’re wrong. Deal with it.

The MU coaches need to get the ball to Gaines more. I didn't realize he only touched the ball six times until I looked at the stat sheet.

Boise actually fumbled the ball the play before and we recovered it but the officials didn't review it. We would have had a chance to win that game if the officials dont blow the call. We should have had the ball at that point. I'm not sure taking a knee was "classy" as much as Boise just dodged a bullet on a missed call and didnt want to potentially lose the game on another potential fumble.

...so describing what might have been the worst case scenario for Boise...is what you want MU to potentially set themselves up for?
This is why you aren't a coach for anything of merit.
Literally nobody agrees with you.

Makes me wonder how a program like FSU could be so bad. Head scratcher
I’ve never understood the infatuation with Willie Taggert. The only school he has a career record above .500 at is Oregon (7-5) and he was only there one year. He’s never won a conference championship and has only one division championship (which USF shared with Temple).

Now, to be fair both the WKU and USF programs were really bad when he took over and while he’s done a decent job righting the ship at each stop, nothing in his resume screams HC at a blue blood like FSU.

I’ve never understood the infatuation with Willie Taggert. The only school he has a career record above .500 at is Oregon (7-5) and he was only there one year. He’s never won a conference championship and has only one division championship (which USF shared with Temple).

Now, to be fair both the WKU and USF programs were really bad when he took over and while he’s done a decent job righting the ship at each stop, nothing in his resume screams HC at a blue blood like FSU.
I can guess why he was hired. But will leave that to speculation.

Makes me wonder how a program like FSU could be so bad. Head scratcher

Same for Tennessee...deep in SEC recruiting, money, facilities, and a huge stadium?
I get it, they gotta deal with Bama and Auburn and the SEC west. But my goodness, they aren't even competitive.

And you are exactly wrong. I posted screenshots showing the QB in full control of the ball until his elbow crashes on the turf, at which point, the ball popped up.
A screen cap by itself doesnt show proof of anything. You need to watch the entire video to see if there was movement before his arm hit the ground, which it looked like to me as well as others on this forum it did. You keep trying to say Boise didnt dodge a bullet on that play because it wasnt a fumble. Thats is like saying Marshall didnt dodge a bullet when Green threw a pass to the defense but the defense dropped it. No Marshall didnt dodge a bullet, the defender dropped the ball so there was no inteception. Anyway you want to try to spin it, Boise was lucky they didnt give the ball back to Marshall on that play. Yes they dodged a bullet.

Nobody in their right mind can look at the replay in that video from the inside view and think it was a fumble. You’re wrong. Deal with it.

You are trying to change the subject by trying to focus on the fumble when the topic was whether or not Boise was being classy. Nice try but it wont work. Boise was not trying to be classy. They were trying to win the game. They didnt want to take a chance on fumbling the ball and giving it to Marshall. You were WRONG on trying to jump in saying something stupid about Boise taking a knee on third down when nobody said anything about that. Nice way to try to change the topic after you were wrong.

...so describing what might have been the worst case scenario for Boise...is what you want MU to potentially set themselves up for?

Absolutely not, where did you get that from? Go back and read the posts. I never said Marshall shouldnt take a knee. You guys need to pay attention to the posts instead of just jumping in and posting nonsense. I was perferctly fine with Green taking a knee.

Absolutely not, where did you get that from? Go back and read the posts. I never said Marshall shouldnt take a knee. You guys need to pay attention to the posts instead of just jumping in and posting nonsense. I was perferctly fine with Green taking a knee.
kenny-rogers-quote-2.jpg

I am glad we won, but this stuff of getting out adjusted in 2nd half is troublesome.
I'm not sure we're getting out-adjusted. I don't know what you call it. We do great in the first half, get ahead, then poof. It's like the 2nd half sees us playing not to lose, instead of putting the hammer down and having the game decided by mid-4th qtr.

HerdNation, where you can come to read complaints about beating a team picked to win a conference that most feel is superior to CUSA.

Go figure......

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ohio University has never won a MAC Championship yet, so what the hell does it matter that they're picked to win? It isn't the first time they've been picked.

You just want to come on here and be a supafan to look good in front of any players or assistant coaches who happen to stop in and read their rightly deserved criticism.

Now please, go back to washing Doc's laundry and let us rational minded folks talk.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ohio University has never won a MAC Championship yet, so what the hell does it matter that they're picked to win? It isn't the first time they've been picked.

You just want to come on here and be a supafan to look good in front of any players or assistant coaches who happen to stop in and read their rightly deserved criticism.

Now please, go back to washing Doc's laundry and let us rational minded folks talk.

The point is that people come on here saying that the MAC is better and/or that Marshall should return to the MAC. Marshall just beat what is potentially the MAC’s best team, and people are still on here complaining. Makes no sense.

Instead of focusing on what was the majority good, some would rather only point out the bad.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

.....sorry ml - it is NOT rational, what takes place here and msg boards in general! In fact, if there was a contest for irrationality, HN would win hands down. We are the most dysfunctional group I have ever read. We are never satisfied with a win, if we ever win by a ton of points, the best you can hope for is “no comment”. BUT - if we lose? Hooooo boy, strap in tight and brace for impact!! We all must be masochists to come on here and subject ourselves to the fresh pile of horse shit served up daily for the world to shake its head at....
I am a happy camper : 2-1 with an off week and another competitive non-conf foe coming to the Joan in a couple weeks. Go Herd!!!!

p.s. too lazy to look it up - how many announced last night? I know OU brought at least 110 ....;)

Reactions: ilmherdfan
That is called expectations, Coach. We want and demand more. That is the sign of a solid fan base and the sign of a solid program.

What are you demanding?

Marshall won. Marshall had 500 yards of offense. Marshall finished with no turnovers and only two penalties for 20 yards. They were prepared and played well.

What are you demanding?

Marshall won. Marshall had 500 yards of offense. Marshall finished with no turnovers and only two penalties for 20 yards. They were prepared and played well.
No game is perfect and you should know that as a coach. Coaches are always looking to improve and looking at the game to see what they could do better and improve. You all grade players out on this very site. No game is perfect.

We didn't play a good third quarter, coach. Gave up 31 on defense as well. But, Ohio did have a very talented qb.

.....sorry ml - it is NOT rational, what takes place here and msg boards in general! In fact, if there was a contest for irrationality, HN would win hands down. We are the most dysfunctional group I have ever read. We are never satisfied with a win, if we ever win by a ton of points, the best you can hope for is “no comment”. BUT - if we lose? Hooooo boy, strap in tight and brace for impact!! We all must be masochists to come on here and subject ourselves to the fresh pile of horse shit served up daily for the world to shake its head at....
I am a happy camper : 2-1 with an off week and another competitive non-conf foe coming to the Joan in a couple weeks. Go Herd!!!!

p.s. too lazy to look it up - how many announced last night? I know OU brought at least 110 ....;)

On the other board they legit believe Doc is being paid by wvu to sabotage the MU program.
Compared to that BS...HN is miles ahead of them.

The point is that people come on here saying that the MAC is better and/or that Marshall should return to the MAC. Marshall just beat what is potentially the MAC’s best team, and people are still on here complaining. Makes no sense.

Instead of focusing on what was the majority good, some would rather only point out the bad.

I think it was a great win against a great rival in a great atmosphere. I thought that is what college football is all about. I am actually surprised to see the negative posts

I think it was a great win against a great rival in a great atmosphere. I thought that is what college football is all about. I am actually surprised to see the negative posts

Agreed.

There were a lot of happy Herd fans walking out of that stadium on Saturday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT