ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Women’s Basketball Coach

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
According to USAToday is one of five candidates on the list as a potential replacement for the University of Kentucky women’s basketball position now open. When hired at Marshall she said this was her “dream job.” Hope she stays put if offered. I don’t know how to post the article but it is online by Mitchell Northam in the March 11 edition.

FWIW: The Lexington and Louisville newspapers who are closer to the situation is not listing Kim as a possible candidate. Who knows, wasn't Huff name listed a candidate for jobs in his first year? I am sure her name will be tossed around, but I think UK will go after a more established candidate at this time with a longer tenure in DI basketball. There is big difference in the level of women's basketball between the SEC and SBC. Kim will become a hot property and MU needs to come with a package for her like they did for soccer.

In the short term, Marshall should switch around the salaries of Dan and Kim. Kim works hard and wins, not much so for ole Dan.

She is going to draw interest from bigger schools with more money... If she stays and we have another successful year next season, she will in all likelihood be out the door. And no one should be upset about that. We brought her in to do a job, she has excelled at that job thus far, if someone comes and offers to double her salary to do the same job it is what it is.

I always find it odd that when a doctor leaves for a bigger payday at a different hospital, or a chef takes the money to move to a bigger restaurant, etc, people are happy for them. When coaches do it, it's because they lack loyalty or they were "lured away." lol

According to USAToday is one of five candidates on the list as a potential replacement for the University of Kentucky women’s basketball position now open. When hired at Marshall she said this was her “dream job.” Hope she stays put if offered. I don’t know how to post the article but it is online by Mitchell Northam in the March 11 edition.
UK hired their coach today and it was not Kim Caldwell.

Give Kim one or two of her own recruiting classes & the chance to make some noise in the tourney. After that, we'll be fighting to keep her. And I have zero problems with bigger teams wanting our coaches because of success. Enjoy Kim & her teams while we have her.

Hate to break it to you but every D1 program for a first time HC is "their dream job."

• Wow
Reactions: ru4_mu2
In my opinion, Kim is going to give Marshall a chance in the NCAA's for a little bit.

Outside of Grassie's love for Marshall and Huntington, one of the reasons he hasn't left is because he know's he can win a natty here (obviously), and be challenged.

Kim obviously loves Marshall and Huntington. I believe that she'll stay as long as she believes she can compete with the big dogs.. and obviously paid a good salary.

In my opinion, Kim is going to give Marshall a chance in the NCAA's for a little bit.

Outside of Grassie's love for Marshall and Huntington, one of the reasons he hasn't left is because he know's he can win a natty here (obviously), and be challenged.

Kim obviously loves Marshall and Huntington. I believe that she'll stay as long as she believes she can compete with the big dogs.. and obviously paid a good salary.
I don't think there is any doubt she is getting a salary increase on top of any bonuses she had coming.

HG04: Not in this case.
Your 1st mistake is calling her a “first time HC.”
Kim is anything but. A newbie would never have taken us on this kind of ride in her 1st year….
Maybe I should have been more clear. I meant to say MU is her first stint as a D1 HC, not first stint as a HC.

So how is it that one HC in one sport is expected to bolt, but someone else, who actually has better success in another, won't?
The parameters are virtually the same.

I could be wrong, just doesn't seem to fit the narrative of many on here, nor what the college sports world is currently becoming.

I think she will be here for a few more years. UK will want a more seasoned D1 person. The SEC is a brutal women's league.

Translation: "Kim is good enough to coach and make MU, who has virtually no resources for women's basketball, a winner...but wouldn't be hired by a program with unlimited resources by comparison."

Also. "More seasoned D1 person." I can sort of buy that.

But then I see this:

Awards
Championships

She has a HC record of 214-30.

She is, by all accounts, a winner.

Translation: "Kim is good enough to coach and make MU, who has virtually no resources for women's basketball, a winner...but wouldn't be hired by a program with unlimited resources by comparison."

Also. "More seasoned D1 person." I can sort of buy that.

But then I see this:

Championships
Awards

She has a HC record of 214-30.

She is, by all accounts, a winner.
She is a winner, big time winner. UK looks for winners on a bigger stage. That's not a knock on Kim, more of knock on UK. The SEC is a brutal league. They hired a new coach as of yesterday I think.

So how is it that one HC in one sport is expected to bolt, but someone else, who actually has better success in another, won't?
If you mean women's basketball vis men's soccer, well, Grassie makes $375K. This is among the highest coach salaries in the sport. Clemson, the current national champion, pays its coach $100K. And, in men's soccer, the SBC is a Power Conference, from which you can win a national championship. Caldwell makes, I think, something just in the 6 figures. The SBC is a one-bid league in women's basketball. There is a limit to what can be accomplished here. Coaches at Power Conferences make generational life changing $$. Mulkey makes $3.15M/year.

Bluntly, Grassie cannot move up, because there is no place to move up to. Either in terms of pay or level of competition.

If you mean women's basketball vis men's soccer, well, Grassie makes $375K. This is among the highest coach salaries in the sport. Clemson, the current national champion, pays its coach $100K. And, in men's soccer, the SBC is a Power Conference, from which you can win a national championship. Caldwell makes, I think, something just in the 6 figures. The SBC is a one-bid league in women's basketball. There is a limit to what can be accomplished here. Coaches at Power Conferences make generational life changing $$. Mulkey makes $3.15M/year.

Bluntly, Grassie cannot move up, because there is no place to move up to. Either in terms of pay or level of competition.
Kim makes 200k

OK, $275K. Stand corrected.

Still nothing like $3.15M.
Not everyone is making Kim Mulkey and Dawn Staley money in Women's basketball. Here's a breakdown (1 year old) of SEC coaches salary spending. Any P5 will be able to pay her more, obviously. To insinuate that she'd leap into Mulkey and Staley pay, is just not reality. UK paid previous coach 475K.......

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Stand corrected.
Season 7 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

It's not all about money for some. We have NO idea what she is thinking. I doubt she leaves this year, or next. We'll see. jmho

While the rumor isn't true that she was on UK's list as a replacement, you sure were quick to jump that she wasn't cut out for "the brutality of the SEC."

Sounds to me like you weren't happy she was already considered.

Again, why is everyone so content with accepting MU is a stepping stone school but get mad when someone leaves? Maybe not a crybaby, but the backhanded compliments are pretty obvious.

What Grassie did with MU could be done elsewhere if he were the head coach. Wherever "elsewhere" is, will have more than enough money and facilities to lure him. Money talks.
The culture of soccer is very different than other NCAA sports, mostly because of the European aspects of it, which value hometowns and athletes tend to base their decisions on loyalty.

Grassie could also certainly move up in the MLS ranks if he wanted. You can't tell me his credentials wouldn't give him opportunity if he really sought it out.

It's not all about money for some. We have NO idea what she is thinking. I doubt she leaves this year, or next. We'll see. jmho

Okay, compare this to Huff.
Wait, before you do, I'm not talking about this specific season, I'm talking about the demographic of coach, which was a young, motivated, coordinator from a P5 program that would be gone after making MU successful.
That was literally what people wanted. After ND, everyone (at the time) assumed Huff was gone...and were fine with it.

Kim Caldwell is a young, motivated D2 HC who goes out and makes MU a legit winner but somehow isn't supposed to leave and is presumed to stay because "the SEC is too hard" or because she likes it here?

It's almost like nobody really knows the definition of "stepping stone" because it could mean 2-3 years or a single season...and people won't be happy at the latter if it happens.

Okay. How does MU plan to keep her? They're going to have to bump the salary up, especially if she does well in the NCAA tournament and I imagine it would have to be a respectable one.
But, women's basketball didn't make a profit, was poorly attended, and historically hasn't been successful thus, a likelihood of a weak alumni chain.

Are you hoping she's like Grassie and "just likes it here"? Kim is young and as Sam said, she has a more room elsewhere to expand her footprint.

How does MU do it?

Okay, compare this to Huff.
Wait, before you do, I'm not talking about this specific season, I'm talking about the demographic of coach, which was a young, motivated, coordinator from a P5 program that would be gone after making MU successful.
That was literally what people wanted. After ND, everyone (at the time) assumed Huff was gone...and were fine with it.

Kim Caldwell is a young, motivated D2 HC who goes out and makes MU a legit winner but somehow isn't supposed to leave and is presumed to stay because "the SEC is too hard" or because she likes it here?

It's almost like nobody really knows the definition of "stepping stone" because it could mean 2-3 years or a single season...and people won't be happy at the latter if it happens.
Everyone knows Marshall is a stepping stone. It's been that way for many years. Do you know Kim if looking at other jobs? Do you know her future plans? No one does, to pretend like any idea is written in stone is pure speculation. All I am going to do is enjoy the experience. Hell, I donated to the womens program for the first time ever on Monday. That's how much I appreciate and impressed with the job she has done.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Grassie could also certainly move up in the MLS ranks if he wanted. You can't tell me his credentials wouldn't give him opportunity if he really sought it out.
This is the only way I see us losing Grassie, but not to another school. I know some folks who know Grassie, and he won't leave us for another school. The man and his family are in love with Marshall and the Huntington community.

As to the MLS stuff, Charlotte FC's President and CEO when they were being stood up was Nick Kelly, a Marshall grad and friend of Grassie. Kelly gave a speech to the team when we were playing in the College Cup. This is no insider knowledge, but I have always wondered if Kelly offered Grassie any positions. At the time Kelly was trying to put together Charlotte's first coaching staff.

He makes more than most MLS coaches as well.

He is set for life. If he leaves here it will not be for $$.

KC is a different discussion, which is all I was saying before the keyboard warrior knitpickers piled on.

KC is a different discussion, which is all I was saying before the keyboard warrior knitpickers piled on.
I'll start worrying about Grassie leaving when we're winning multiple natty's or playing in College Cups back-to-back-to-back-to-back.

He did an interview when he left Charleston, and his sole reason for leaving was that he wasn't being challenged anymore.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

You gave us a token effort.

Look, here is what we do know about Kim:
Born & raised in WV
Loves WV
Loves representing West Virginians
Has called Marshall her dream job
Seems to enjoy living in Huntington
Husband employed by MU
Uses big fish in a little pond theory in recruiting players

I believe MU will increase her salary/bonuses after this season is over. She’s probably going to want increases for her staff as well.
I don’t see her leaving anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT