ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsburg

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
On their way to another state championship blasting Parkersburg South today 77-20. Hire the entire coaching staff and recruit the entire team.

Reactions: 31Herd55
It has already been settled on this board...it's only a smoke & mirror show I'm Martinsburg.

Their closest game so far is 35 points.
average score through 13 games.... 62-8.

Their closest game so far is 35 points.
average score through 13 games.... 62-8.
The scary part is they call off the dogs early. They could have put up over 100 a few times this year. They had 70 at the midway point of the 3rd quarter in a state semi-final game.

The scary part is they call off the dogs early. They could have put up over 100 a few times this year. They had 70 at the midway point of the 3rd quarter in a state semi-final game.
I think they led 54-0 at end of 1st qtr. In 2nd playoff game.

Reactions: cottrell75
their average win in last years playoffs was 29 points.
they've won 7 of the last 9 state championships
they are on about a 54 game win streak
I think it must be a mixture of both. there are just not diverse schools and enough big schools to compete with them

Reactions: ThunderCat98
are they that good or are the other teams that bad?
A combo. I’m kind of surprised a high school coach like Tom Knotts that’s now at Dutch Fork in South Carolina never landed a college gig. Guy won something like over 100+ straight games with Independence High School in NC...with QB’s CJ and then Chris Leak.

There are 9 high schools in WV that have more students than Martinsburg.
I also said diverse and 9 that are bigger is not that many. AAA is WV has schools with over 1,000 enrollment difference in the schools. Again, I would imagine the demographics of Roane County are different than Martinsburg. Isn;t Winfield a AAA school now? When I li.ved there Winfield was a AA school

A combo. I’m kind of surprised a high school coach like Tom Knotts that’s now at Dutch Fork in South Carolina never landed a college gig. Guy won something like over 100+ straight games with Independence High School in NC...with QB’s CJ and then Chris Leak.
I think Martisburg is a school like you would see in Virginia, Carolinas, etc. 80% of the AAA in WV just don't have the demographics or diversity to compete with them. Also, there is a big difference in the small AAA schools in terms of enrollment and the bigger AAA schools.

Reactions: cottrell75
I also said diverse and 9 that are bigger is not that many. AAA is WV has schools with over 1,000 enrollment difference in the schools. Again, I would imagine the demographics of Roane County are different than Martinsburg. Isn;t Winfield a AAA school now? When I li.ved there Winfield was a AA school
I think Winfield just got reclassified to AAA, so they will be one of the smallest in that class.

I think Winfield just got reclassified to AAA, so they will be one of the smallest in that class.

Winfield is still AA for the newly released classification numbers. They've actually experienced a small loss in enrollment in the last 2 to 3 years.

Bridgeport and Oak Hill are moving up to AAA.

Winfield is still AA for the newly released classification numbers. They've actually experienced a small loss in enrollment in the last 2 to 3 years.

Bridgeport and Oak Hill are moving up to AAA.
Bridgeport will be one of the smallest AAA schools, but will probably have a few home playoff games in most years.

Reactions: Tim_N_Montana

It's 9. None of them have won 7 of the last 9 AAA state football championships. And in every one of those 7 times, they beat the #2 AAA team. Cabell Midland has 600 more students than Martinsburg. If it's diversity you want to give credit for then Woodrow Wilson should win the AAA state championship as often as Martinsburg as WW has 34% more blacks and 300 more students.

Here's the new AAA Classification Enrollment numbers. https://www.register-herald.com/spo...cle_9d7def9f-c97f-5708-b162-d7c219a2304e.html

Of note, since the last enrollment period Cabell Midland has lost 140 students, Huntington lost 52, and Spring Valley lost 54. The two Parkersburg schools lost enrollment and so did Capital, South Charleston, Greenbrier East, Princeton, and Woodrow Wilson. As expected, the schools in the eastern panhandle increased enrollment and so did the two schools in Morgantown.

School enrollment for 2020-21 to 2023-24

1. Morgantown 1,851
2. Cabell Midland 1,825
3. Parkersburg 1,674
4. Musselman 1,654
5. Huntington 1,606
6. Wheeling Park 1,529
7. Parkersburg South 1,466
8. Jefferson 1,457
9. Martinsburg 1,415
10. Spring Mills 1,380
11. University 1,310
12. Washington 1,309
13. Hurricane 1,279
14. Riverside 1,278
15. Woodrow Wilson 1,267
16. Hedgesville 1,257
17. Capital 1,218
18. Preston County 1,202
19. George Washington 1,107
20. Oak Hill 1,102
21. Buckhannon-Upshur 1,058
22. St. Albans 1,053
23. John Marshall 1,042
24. Greenbrier East 1,025
25. Spring Valley 996
26. South Charleston 938
27. Princeton 914
28. Hampshire 894
29. Brooke 891
30. Lincoln County 882
31. Ripley 867
32. Bridgeport 822

Just heard from a WVSSAC official that WV is going to add a 4A division. Most of your bigger HS will be in that...Martinsburg has a tri-state area they recruit from, not judging, just observation. The 4A will start out in basketball in the next year or two as a pilot program. Divisions will not solely be by number of students, but also "economic " factors such as median income of families in area.

Just heard from a WVSSAC official that WV is going to add a 4A division. Most of your bigger HS will be in that...Martinsburg has a tri-state area they recruit from, not judging, just observation. The 4A will start out in basketball in the next year or two as a pilot program. Divisions will not solely be by number of students, but also "economic " factors such as median income of families in area.

This is correct. They have not released the breakdown for this, yet, but are expected to by the weekend.

There is a valid argument that we don’t have enough school in WV to go to four classes, but there are such wide discrepancies in enrollment that four probably balances a lot of things out competitively once you get beyond the 20 largest schools.

Reactions: HerdFan91
The 4A is being rolled out for boys basketball only, I believe.

The new enrollment classification numbers I posted earlier will go through the 2023-2024 school years. So it would seem that any formal creation of a 4A level, for all sports, is still 4 to 5 years away. Given the way the State keeps losing population, perhaps adding an additional classification level isn't the best strategy.

Here's the new AAA Classification Enrollment numbers. https://www.register-herald.com/spo...cle_9d7def9f-c97f-5708-b162-d7c219a2304e.html

Of note, since the last enrollment period Cabell Midland has lost 140 students, Huntington lost 52, and Spring Valley lost 54. The two Parkersburg schools lost enrollment and so did Capital, South Charleston, Greenbrier East, Princeton, and Woodrow Wilson. As expected, the schools in the eastern panhandle increased enrollment and so did the two schools in Morgantown.

School enrollment for 2020-21 to 2023-24

1. Morgantown 1,851
2. Cabell Midland 1,825
3. Parkersburg 1,674
4. Musselman 1,654
5. Huntington 1,606
6. Wheeling Park 1,529
7. Parkersburg South 1,466
8. Jefferson 1,457
9. Martinsburg 1,415
10. Spring Mills 1,380
11. University 1,310
12. Washington 1,309
13. Hurricane 1,279
14. Riverside 1,278
15. Woodrow Wilson 1,267
16. Hedgesville 1,257
17. Capital 1,218
18. Preston County 1,202
19. George Washington 1,107
20. Oak Hill 1,102
21. Buckhannon-Upshur 1,058
22. St. Albans 1,053
23. John Marshall 1,042
24. Greenbrier East 1,025
25. Spring Valley 996
26. South Charleston 938
27. Princeton 914
28. Hampshire 894
29. Brooke 891
30. Lincoln County 882
31. Ripley 867
32. Bridgeport 822
In the mid-60s Parkersburg High had 3,500 students. But that was before de-consolidation.

The new enrollment classification numbers I posted earlier will go through the 2023-2024 school years. So it would seem that any formal creation of a 4A level, for all sports, is still 4 to 5 years away. Given the way the State keeps losing population, perhaps adding an additional classification level isn't the best strategy.

Boys and Girls basketball goes to 4 classes next season. I’m not positive if they committed 2 years or 4 years to this new system, but it’s definitely a feeler for all sports.

I believe they will allow individual sports to play up a class again, too. They used to do that but then made it all sports or none, so nobody has played up in about 24 years or so.

This is correct. They have not released the breakdown for this, yet, but are expected to by the weekend.

There is a valid argument that we don’t have enough school in WV to go to four classes, but there are such wide discrepancies in enrollment that four probably balances a lot of things out competitively once you get beyond the 20 largest schools.
What? Martinsburg recruits? Surely not. They are a suburb of D.C. No need for them to recruit. There are also multiple AAA schools that have opened in the last few years in the eastern panhandle.

In a state with, if I count right, 112 public schools and a dozen or so Catholic ones, sure to lose another 8-10 in the next few years as the coal fields continue to depopulate, with the smallest 20 or so schools not playing football, having four classes is juice box and orange slice participation trophy thinking.

Considering Spring Valley has less then 1K students it’s pretty impressive what they have done the last 4 years.
They’ll be better next year as they lose very few seniors compared to most.

I want Midland to win but they’ll be lucky to stay within 30 of Martinsburg.

It's 9. None of them have won 7 of the last 9 AAA state football championships. And in every one of those 7 times, they beat the #2 AAA team. Cabell Midland has 600 more students than Martinsburg. If it's diversity you want to give credit for then Woodrow Wilson should win the AAA state championship as often as Martinsburg as WW has 34% more blacks and 300 more students.
Then, what is it? The AAA classifcation is WV is odd. Half the teams or so make the playoff. There has to be a large drop off in something? Some of the games in the regular season can't be very competitive among schools.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)

I believe that WV should go to less classes, not more. It is so watered down now it is ridiculous.

Throw everyone into the same pool for basketball. Isn't that how Kentucky does it? Teams like Chapmanville could certainly make things interesting.

Quit complaining about 1000 less kids in wv AAA. In South Carolina’s largest division 5A, there is almost a 2700 kid difference. And Dutch forks coaches problem is himself

Considering Spring Valley has less then 1K students it’s pretty impressive what they have done the last 4 years.
They’ll be better next year as they lose very few seniors compared to most.

I want Midland to win but they’ll be lucky to stay within 30 of Martinsburg.

SV has quite a few kids who are only attending the school to be on the football team, too, so don’t let their enrollment deceive you. They’re pulling from a pretty large pool.

Yeah a lot of those used to be Wayne recruits until the coach screwed the pooch. So to speak. ;)

What? Martinsburg recruits? Surely not. They are a suburb of D.C. No need for them to recruit. There are also multiple AAA schools that have opened in the last few years in the eastern panhandle.
The Bowie kid from Martinsburg has now been offered by Kent state and a PWO by WVU. Has Doc even reached out?

Quit complaining about 1000 less kids in wv AAA. In South Carolina’s largest division 5A, there is almost a 2700 kid difference. And Dutch forks coaches problem is himself
Not complaining, I don't even live in WV. In SC isn't that because there are a few outlier schools like Wando down on the coast who have 4,300 students? Plus, all their 5 schools are around 2,000 or so or bigger?

How the hell is Ripley high school in WV supposed to compete with Martinsburg? Or Roane County for that matter? There are only like 28 AAA schools in WV and half of them or more make the playoff. The drop from 1 to 16 has to be immense. In South Carolina there are a ton of schools. There are places in WV that have never seen a black kid. Let's be honest here. Hell, Milton didn't see a black kid probably until 2006 and they are 15 minutes from Huntington.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT