ADVERTISEMENT

Meat Smokers, get in this thread

WV-FAN

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 12, 2007
get yore mind out the gutter . . .

i have a brisket i'm going to put on the traeger this weekend. this will be my first brisket on the traeger.

i've searched the interwebs for smoked brisket recipes and have found the following methods appear to be most common (everything below is something i've read in an article, post, heard in a video, etc):
  • brisket prep/trim:
    • about all of what i've read/watched indicate clean the top up really well and get rid of all the silver skin
    • leave about a 1/4 inch fatcap on the bottom
    • trim the brisket "aerodynamically" so the smoke more easily circles the brisket (smoker has no fan to circulate air so not sure this will help)
  • seasoning:
    • salt, pepper, garlic are the most common seasonings used, nothing more; although, there's many out there that add in various types of seasoning.
    • have read the ratio of pepper to salt should be around 60/40 and heavily applied with a moderate coating of garlic powder.
    • another video indicated use a moderate covering of table salt as the smaller grains will penetrate the meat easier and use a 16 mesh pepper for the same reason, although the pepper should be applied lighter than the salt.
    • i'm likely going to go SPG with another seasoning but not sure what yet.
  • heat and time:
    • have read everywhere from 200 to 275 degrees for the first "X" number of hours.
    • have read the final temp should range everywhere from 190 to 203 degrees.
      • those that say 190 indicate it should be wrapped and put back on at 250 to 275 to get temp up to 203. ultimately, the final temp off the smoker should be around 203.
    • just about everything i've read/watched indicates to wrap the brisket in butcher paper and place in a cooler for a minimum of 2 hours.
  • spritz:
    • some say spritz every 45 minutes to an hour for the first 5 hours
    • some say close the lid on the grill and forget about it until that temp probe reads the desired final temp
my plans:
  • trim as indicated, not so worried about the "aerodynamics".
  • season with moderate to heavy layer of table salt, moderate layers of pepper and garlic powder, and a layer of other seasoning to be determined
  • smoke to 190-195 internal at 225 on super smoke setting along with the smoke tube filled up for additional smoke. wrap brisket and smoke to 202/3 internal, pull off, wrap, place in cooler for 2 to 3 hours.
  • not sure about spritzing yet.
whadaya got?

I have never smoked a brisket so I have to ask why leave the fat cap on the bottom? When I smoke a pork shoulder I leave the fat cap on the top so that when it renders it keeps the meat moist.

That all sounds great and brings back a lot of good memories. I have retired from this activity.

I have never smoked a brisket so I have to ask why leave the fat cap on the bottom? When I smoke a pork shoulder I leave the fat cap on the top so that when it renders it keeps the meat moist.
i thought the same. traeger says:

The Debate -

A heavily debated topic within the BBQ realm is whether to cook a brisket fat-side up or fat-side down. We are here to answer the question once and for all: cook brisket fat-side DOWN.

Why -

Many believe the theory that when a brisket is cooked fat-side up, the fat renders and naturally braises the brisket. This is not true.

1. Oil and water don’t mix in life or in BBQ, and a brisket contains both — oil in the fat cap and water in the red meat. Fat will not keep the brisket moist if cooked fat-side up.

2. Besides not actually braising the brisket, cooking fat-side poses a risk: The melting fat cap will drip down the meat, potentially washing away the seasoning on the beef.

3. An additional disadvantage of cooking fat-side up is poor presentation. While being smoked, the presentation side is on the grill grates, preventing the formation of a uniform bark.

What are the benefits of cooking brisket fat-side down? This method offers the best brisket presentation, a uniform bark formation, and does not run the risk of melting fat washing away seasoning.

Reactions: WVUSerg
My professional tip: wv-fan will be so shit-faced drunk by the time this thing is done, it really doesn't make a shit how you prepare and cook it.

• Haha
Reactions: WV-FAN
My only tip is, pay attention to the temp - BUT at the end (anywhere from 195-203) you want to use your temp probe in several places on the meat and it should probe "like butter", virtually zero resistance. Good luck. Every brisket is different. Don't freak out if you hit a stall, just move the probe around if it stalls for an extremely long time as it could be sitting in a fat pocket and not be giving you an accurate reading of the meat.

here's a good article with arguments for both up and down.

Thank you for the articles. I guess it really just comes down to preference.

This fall I am going to have to smoke a brisket. I have an Oklahoma Joe's offset combo grill and babysitting the fire in the summer heat is not fun.

I didn't read the comments but here are my comments:

• lots of seasoning. you really can't over season it. I love tons of salt and pepper and a little garlic
  • fat cap up. Of all of the good brisket that I've tried in Texas I've never seen anybody cook one with the fat cap down.
  • put the "point" (fatty side) toward the heat source. This will help keep the lean end from overcooking and drying out
  • 225 until the internal temp is anywhere between 170-180. I usually then wrap with butcher paper and keep cooking until 203. Many people don't wrap at all....some use foil. Foil speeds up the cook a bit. Truthfully you can even pull it off the smoker and put it in the oven if you're going to wrap.
  • When I wrap I set the brisket on the butcher paper and then spread on some beef tallow...then wrap.
  • There is a good chance that you will go a longer period of time without the internal temp going up once you get to 160-180. Don't worry about it...it will eventually go up.
  • Cook until 203 and then let it rest. The longer you can let it rest the better. I usually try to let mine rest for at least a few hours.
Last suggestion...don't open the smoker too much. Brisket is finnicky. The temp going up and down in the smoker is no bueno. Let it go at 225 for at least 4-5 hours before you ever open the smoker. By that time you should be working on a pretty good bark.

Best of luck. I'm jealous. Wish I had a Traeger. I haven't done brisket in a while because I have a Kamado style and just don't have time to manage it for the time required to do a good brisket.

I have a Traeger but have only done brisket once. For me it really shines with quickly getting together family dinner with seasoned chicken thighs or quick ribs.

I don’t love Boston butt or brisket because the fatty meat seems to upset my gut.

I didn't read the comments but here are my comments:

• lots of seasoning. you really can't over season it. I love tons of salt and pepper and a little garlic
  • fat cap up. Of all of the good brisket that I've tried in Texas I've never seen anybody cook one with the fat cap down.
  • put the "point" (fatty side) toward the heat source. This will help keep the lean end from overcooking and drying out
  • 225 until the internal temp is anywhere between 170-180. I usually then wrap with butcher paper and keep cooking until 203. Many people don't wrap at all....some use foil. Foil speeds up the cook a bit. Truthfully you can even pull it off the smoker and put it in the oven if you're going to wrap.
  • When I wrap I set the brisket on the butcher paper and then spread on some beef tallow...then wrap.
  • There is a good chance that you will go a longer period of time without the internal temp going up once you get to 160-180. Don't worry about it...it will eventually go up.
  • Cook until 203 and then let it rest. The longer you can let it rest the better. I usually try to let mine rest for at least a few hours.
Last suggestion...don't open the smoker too much. Brisket is finnicky. The temp going up and down in the smoker is no bueno. Let it go at 225 for at least 4-5 hours before you ever open the smoker. By that time you should be working on a pretty good bark.

Best of luck. I'm jealous. Wish I had a Traeger. I haven't done brisket in a while because I have a Kamado style and just don't have time to manage it for the time required to do a good brisket.
do you increase the temp up to say 250 or 275 after wrapping or leave it at 225? most videos i've watched they increase the temp to 275. i'll be in no hurry, though, as i'm planning on putting it on this around 7 this evening at 190 degrees and letting it go overnight. was planning on increasing to 225 to get it up to ~170 tomorrow morning assuming that would be needed, then wrapping and increasing temp to 250 to get it up to the 203 mark.

i picked up a can of SPG seasoning and was planning on pulling something else sweet/spicy from the cabinet and adding on top of that.

should have plenty of time for letting it rest when it comes off the smoker.

do you increase the temp up to say 250 or 275 after wrapping or leave it at 225? most videos i've watched they increase the temp to 275. i'll be in no hurry, though, as i'm planning on putting it on this around 7 this evening at 190 degrees and letting it go overnight. was planning on increasing to 225 to get it up to ~170 tomorrow morning assuming that would be needed, then wrapping and increasing temp to 250 to get it up to the 203 mark.

i picked up a can of SPG seasoning and was planning on pulling something else sweet/spicy from the cabinet and adding on top of that.

should have plenty of time for letting it rest when it comes off the smoker.

I usually go 225-250 the entire cook.

Hopefully the brisket went well.

Tonight I did healthy -ish smoked chicken queso burritos and the whole family liked it, so big win.

Basically just season chicken thighs with taco seasoning then smoke. “Queso” is low fat cottage cheese, red enchilada sauce, and chalula blended. Combine sauce, smoked chicken, cilantro lime rice, pico, and low fat Mexican cheese into a low cal (or regular) burrito and sear the burrito over high heat with a spray of avacado oil in the pan.

The pico was mostly from our garden and our farmer coop and it was fantastic. Sorry @greengeezer i didn’t take any pics except the pico.

I know some of us (@riflearm2) are rich and can send a private taxi for their burritos, but this home made version hits the spot.

Hopefully the brisket went well.
it was okay. overdone a bit. meat thermometer on the smoker was reading 3 or 4 degrees higher than the electronic thermometer and I went with the electronic one . . . don't think I should have.

smoked mac n cheese was the tits, smoked potatoes was okay.

likely my first and last brisket, just not a fan even if it is done right.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
it was okay. overdone a bit. meat thermometer on the smoker was reading 3 or 4 degrees higher than the electronic thermometer and I went with the electronic one . . . don't think I should have.

smoked mac n cheese was the tits, smoked potatoes was okay.

likely my first and last brisket, just not a fan even if it is done right.
I’m with you.

I think having a smoker is great though, it adds depth of flavor to lots of things. Definitely makes grilled chicken or ribs much better.

I do smoked mixed Montreal seasoning nuts in the winter and they are amazing to snack on by the fire with a beer or bourbon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT