MHNGA (Make Herd Nation Great Again)

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
Lame, I know. But I'm serious.

No - I'm not talking about Old Fairfield or Pullman - I'm talking about the free board Herd Nation. The one this entire site was built around.

My ask is simple: Post and post often. The trolls are gone. If you see things improving, invite old HN members who no longer post here to come back.

And in case you're wondering: there's no financial rub to this. I'm not trying to artificially inflate clicks and site visits to make loot. I don't sell ads for HN. I just sincerely would like to see the place buzzing again.

If you have an idea to help get this place back to where it belongs, let me know. Either here or via PM.

I am probably wrong but I think the traffic was driven by the Tri-State Preps site and the Smack Board.. Since those two went away it seems to be extreme events driven, either when everything is going very good or very bad.

I am probably wrong but I think the traffic was driven by the Tri-State Preps site and the Smack Board.. Since those two went away it seems to be extreme events driven, either when everything is going very good or very bad.

I liked TITM, I really did. Spent quite a bit of time over there.

But it devolved to the point where it was just people yelling loudly and making threats. It ran it's course.

Reactions: jocktalker
For me and a few of my friends, HN devolved several years ago. Back in the day we actually met on HN, became friends and eventually tailgated together. Some of those tailgates were epic. Eventually the tailgating ended and those early HN peeps went their separate ways. They were great people and tremendous Herd fans. It seems that a lot of those people followed and posted on the various forums but eventually the "Strong" personalities pushed many of them away too. As well. the lackluster times of the Snyder years proved too gut wrenching for some and finally the issues with old Fairfield proved too much. Too many personal attacks, lots of anger and for myself the recruiting seemed to have dropped off. there seem to be fewer instances of MU being in the running for some phenom and a lot more of the "we met our needs" talk. For me personally I had been a paying member for YEARS. And for many of those years I enjoyed a years worth of build up only to have the site crash on NSD. Several times this happened! The last couple of years the site has been better, but by then most of my old tailgating friends had left and really I don't know many posters on here at all anymore. This year I allowed my subscription to expire and have not had the urge to renew. Na d predictably Rivals has not reached out to entice me to renew. I gues my subscription really didn't matter mush the last15 or so years. But I truly do miss those days and maybe with a couple of decent seasons and some eventful recruiting, some of those folks will return. Who knows? For now I will enjoy my FB season chairbacks and follow along here on HN. Here's to at least an 8 win season. Cherts!

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
For me and a few of my friends, HN devolved several years ago. Back in the day we actually met on HN, became friends and eventually tailgated together. Some of those tailgates were epic. Eventually the tailgating ended and those early HN peeps went their separate ways. They were great people and tremendous Herd fans. It seems that a lot of those people followed and posted on the various forums but eventually the "Strong" personalities pushed many of them away too. As well. the lackluster times of the Snyder years proved too gut wrenching for some and finally the issues with old Fairfield proved too much. Too many personal attacks, lots of anger and for myself the recruiting seemed to have dropped off. there seem to be fewer instances of MU being in the running for some phenom and a lot more of the "we met our needs" talk. For me personally I had been a paying member for YEARS. And for many of those years I enjoyed a years worth of build up only to have the site crash on NSD. Several times this happened! The last couple of years the site has been better, but by then most of my old tailgating friends had left and really I don't know many posters on here at all anymore. This year I allowed my subscription to expire and have not had the urge to renew. Na d predictably Rivals has not reached out to entice me to renew. I gues my subscription really didn't matter mush the last15 or so years. But I truly do miss those days and maybe with a couple of decent seasons and some eventful recruiting, some of those folks will return. Who knows? For now I will enjoy my FB season chairbacks and follow along here on HN. Here's to at least an 8 win season. Cherts!

Mike, check your private messages please.

I propose all the negative nellies just number their automatic responses. This will cut down on reading time and save electronic ink. Just post the number as they take every thread off-topic into their, at the same time dark and negative, yet deluisonal about just what and who we are and who we can get here, world.

1 - Fire Doc. He is not a head coach. Those winning seasons were all flukes and are outweighed by the one season we just had. I think we should get Saban.

2 - Fire Dan. He is too old and a HS coach. I hear most five-stars are weighing MU realitive to UK, Duke and UCLA. I think we should get Krzyzewski.

3 - Fire Mike. We were so much better off under Marcum. That IPF, used of Justice's jet, luxury box expansion, rebuilding of the BGC, and all of that are nothing. Wonder what Marcum is doing.

4 - Let's build a baseball park and then rent it to me for $1 all summer so I can play pretend minor league baseball owner in the Swamps and Stumps League.

5 - This schedule is awful. I don't want to pay my good money to watch _____. Mike should get a home and home with Alabama or Clemson or USC.

6 - This game time is awful. It interferes with my prayer meeting/watching WVU/UK/OSU on TV/pee-wee little tykes midget game/Wayne/Jeopardy reruns. All games must be only at ______ time, because it suits me.

7 - This TV deal stinks. I stare at this remote and wonder what it does because we are never on ESPN. I hear ESPN would pay us a billion a season and put every game on the mother ship if not for Mike.

8 - CUSA sucks. We should spend $16M we don't have to beg to get in THE AMERICAN!!!! / the lowly MAC / the MEC.

9 - I want beer.

10 - I hate beer.

11 - The security guard was rude to me.

12 - The people behind me were rude and the security guard did nothing about it.

13 - I heard ______ Florida hired (some retred loser coach) gosh we are in trouble now.

14 - __________ got arrested because Doc/Dan/Mike are weak leaders. Players never get arrested in any other town. It is so easy being a young black male in Huntington, WV, so that cannot be the issue. It is all D/D/M 's fault.

15 - The legislature just gave WVU a new ________ free on the taxpayers. Surely the reason we don't have one is not because WVU dominates the legislature and the main goal of WVU is to destroy MU as an institution. No, it is all Mike's or Gilbert's fault.

16 - That there Chuck Landon is the greatest sports journalist since Taylor Spink. Today he said (1-15 above) yet again. Yep. What a columnist.

Just number those and when ever somebody has a thread going, take it right down with whichever numbered post applies. It will save you a lot of typing.

Or, better yet, if that is all you have to say, understand that you don't have anything to say. So just say

GO HERD!!!

or go home,

And we're gonna build a wall, and wvu is gonna pay for it, and it's going to keep eerbillys from driving leased Mercedes to Huntington to spy on Marshall before we play them while they scream we aren't rivals.

Indeed let's make Herdnation great again and send mediocrity to eerbilly hell!

Go Doc Go Hamrick Go Dan and let's waterboard Landon on a Saturday on an internet telecast before a game so we can all log in on our iPad and tailgate to it and enjoy it!

Could we get a weekly Foot Friday? Only thing allowed in the thread is foot pictures/gifs/discussions? I think that could seriously get things rolling again.

Bringing back the 4 Horseman would be a start

But who are these masked men, anyways??

4horsemen.jpg

Part of the slow down has to do with the weakness of Marshall athletics at the moment, to be sure.

However, also a real reason for it is the fact those of us who were super active in the aught's were in college/recently graduated and had a buttload of free time on our hands. Most of us "grew up" and got jobs, had a ton of kids (ok, just me), and cannot whittle away hours on a message board.

I made several real world friends off HN, as did a cadre of us who came from the original non-rivals HN. But we do most of our posting on FB, Twitter, etc... The social technology has kind of moved on from bulletin boards.

Good topic Chris - still think one thing that would help would be to bring back the smack board , that way this would be for more of the positive ( if we can find anything positive)post and the smack board would be available for critical analysis , pot shots , no holds barred posting where if you get into it with someone so be it. That being said shots at family members regardless of this section or the smack board should be out of bounds

I do not agree however with the returning of perma ban posters , smack board or not as a few of those created the issue we have today regarding this section of the site that and the horrific state of our athletic teams.

I propose all the negative nellies just number their automatic responses. This will cut down on reading time and save electronic ink. Just post the number as they take every thread off-topic into their, at the same time dark and negative, yet deluisonal about just what and who we are and who we can get here, world.

1 - Fire Doc. He is not a head coach. Those winning seasons were all flukes and are outweighed by the one season we just had. I think we should get Saban.

2 - Fire Dan. He is too old and a HS coach. I hear most five-stars are weighing MU realitive to UK, Duke and UCLA. I think we should get Krzyzewski.

3 - Fire Mike. We were so much better off under Marcum. That IPF, used of Justice's jet, luxury box expansion, rebuilding of the BGC, and all of that are nothing. Wonder what Marcum is doing.

4 - Let's build a baseball park and then rent it to me for $1 all summer so I can play pretend minor league baseball owner in the Swamps and Stumps League.

5 - This schedule is awful. I don't want to pay my good money to watch _____. Mike should get a home and home with Alabama or Clemson or USC.

6 - This game time is awful. It interferes with my prayer meeting/watching WVU/UK/OSU on TV/pee-wee little tykes midget game/Wayne/Jeopardy reruns. All games must be only at ______ time, because it suits me.

7 - This TV deal stinks. I stare at this remote and wonder what it does because we are never on ESPN. I hear ESPN would pay us a billion a season and put every game on the mother ship if not for Mike.

8 - CUSA sucks. We should spend $16M we don't have to beg to get in THE AMERICAN!!!! / the lowly MAC / the MEC.

9 - I want beer.

10 - I hate beer.

11 - The security guard was rude to me.

12 - The people behind me were rude and the security guard did nothing about it.

13 - I heard ______ Florida hired (some retred loser coach) gosh we are in trouble now.

14 - __________ got arrested because Doc/Dan/Mike are weak leaders. Players never get arrested in any other town. It is so easy being a young black male in Huntington, WV, so that cannot be the issue. It is all D/D/M 's fault.

15 - The legislature just gave WVU a new ________ free on the taxpayers. Surely the reason we don't have one is not because WVU dominates the legislature and the main goal of WVU is to destroy MU as an institution. No, it is all Mike's or Gilbert's fault.

16 - That there Chuck Landon is the greatest sports journalist since Taylor Spink. Today he said (1-15 above) yet again. Yep. What a columnist.

Just number those and when ever somebody has a thread going, take it right down with whichever numbered post applies. It will save you a lot of typing.

Or, better yet, if that is all you have to say, understand that you don't have anything to say. So just say

GO HERD!!!

or go home,
Well the first 8 or 9 would help. As raoul said our basketball program sucks but kinda hate to admit when a former great player coaches. Well losing will trump his greatness

Reactions: cottrell75
That being said shots at family members regardless of this section or the smack board should be out of bounds

I do not agree however with the returning of perma ban posters , smack board or not as a few of those created the issue we have today regarding this section of the site that and the horrific state of our athletic teams.

Let me get this straight:

You can make blatant, repeated, racist comments for years, but you turn into a crybaby when somebody references your admission that your daughter got knocked up by a random guy? You can make blatant, repeated, racist comments for years, but you turn into a crybaby when somebody points out your hypocritical comments when they relate to how your daughter took a better paying job which required her to show off her body instead of a lower paying job where she could dress modestly?

None of those you referenced caused any problem this board has other than they didn't do enough to chase morons like you off of it. The problem lays solely at the feet of a current moderator who was exposed for conspiring and encouraging others to do exactly what he banned the posters for doing. Now, go back to Pullman with your blatantly racist posts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT