ADVERTISEMENT

Mike D'Antoni in the top 100 influences in NBA

Those naysayers will say they were right until he wins a championship
The naysayers have already been proven wrong, I don’t care what they say. They’re ignorant if they don’t think he’s one of the most influential people in NBA history...and as time goes by, his style is only going to be more validated.

Reactions: ohio herd
When Mike D has the players to run his system he’s a great coach. (Phoenix and now Houston) When he has a d team roster and a bunch of hall of famers 10 years after they should have retired like he had in LA he’s not a good coach.

Mike has done wonders with Houston and the way he’s integrated superstars Chris Paul and James Harden together has been great to watch. Golden State is one of those once a decade teams. They are a powerhouse so even if they lose to Golden State in the Western finals he’s still had a heck of a year and he’s still a great coach.

When Mike D has the players to run his system he’s a great coach. (Phoenix and now Houston) When he has a d team roster and a bunch of hall of famers 10 years after they should have retired like he had in LA he’s not a good coach.

Mike has done wonders with Houston and the way he’s integrated superstars Chris Paul and James Harden together has been great to watch. Golden State is one of those once a decade teams. They are a powerhouse so even if they lose to Golden State in the Western finals he’s still had a heck of a year and he’s still a great coach.
Exactly. Plus, what Golden State is, is pretty much his Phoenix team on steroids. Even if they can’t get past them, his style is still validated because Golden State is much of the same.

And after watching the meltdown at home in game 1 vs GSW, it is not going to happen until he figures out how to rebound and play defense.
well they give up one point less per game than GS. GS avg one more point per game on offense than Houston.

Reactions: 19MU88
Who knows how the rest of series will play out, but it looked to me as Golden State has the better players and team. Should Houston lose I don’t see how it can be because of Mike D.

Correct, I said it before the series started, Houston is a great team but Golden State is one of those incredible teams. They are like the Bulls, Lakers, Celtics teams of the past. They have the second best player in the game in Durant, they have 2 possibly 3 other players in their prime that could be in the HOF. That’s a powerhouse team.

Golden State is so much more than great players. They’re very good, but they play so well as a team and that’s what makes them so incredible. Steph was their 4th-5th highest paid player (while he was winning MVPs) for the longest time and never held out, never complained about his contract, etc. KD took a pay cut so they could keep Igoudala. Steph will never win another MVP with Durant there and he’s cool with it. Klay could make more money and have n increased role with other teams, but never says a word about not getting more shots. Draymond is cool with being the Dennis Rodman of the group. Igoudala understands he’s aging and loves his decreased role. Same with David West. Livingston could start at PG for a lot of teams, but is fine with what he’s asked to do. And every one of them can play with the ball in their hands and are just as dangerous off the ball. It’s not individual talent, it’s their collectiveness that makes them badass. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToesMU
Correct, I said it before the series started, Houston is a great team but Golden State is one of those incredible teams. They are like the Bulls, Lakers, Celtics teams of the past. They have the second best player in the game in Durant, they have 2 possibly 3 other players in their prime that could be in the HOF. That’s a powerhouse team.
I agree 100% I was thinking the same thing the other day

I second that..
...the D'Antoni brothers, like their Dad, are great Coaches.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

And after watching the meltdown at home in game 1 vs GSW, it is not going to happen until he figures out how to rebound and play defense.

Hey Dan I thought you would come over here and post first thing this morning that the Rockets went to Golden State took back home court advantage and did it through defense. They held Golden State with KD Steph and Thompson on the court to 10 points in the 4th qtr and under 100 for the game.

It’s now 2-2 and going back to Houston.

Hey Dan I thought you would come over here and post first thing this morning that the Rockets went to Golden State took back home court advantage and did it through defense. They held Golden State with KD Steph and Thompson on the court to 10 points in the 4th qtr and under 100 for the game.

It’s now 2-2 and going back to Houston.
I saw that. Kudos to Mike.

Had a golden chance to close the series out on the defending champs floor. How do you go from being up 17 in the first to losing by 29?

Had a golden chance to close the series out on the defending champs floor. How do you go from being up 17 in the first to losing by 29?
When you play the style GS and Houston play that can easily happen. I know Danny tells us all the time that we can be up by 20 and quickly down by 20. When you play fast paced and live and die with the 3 it can and does happen. Makes for excitement however. I wouldn't trade that style of basketball for anything. Nothing more boring to me than to pay $35 for a ticket to see a 59-56 college game. I remember seeing those in pre D'Antoni days, Even after a win it would be like a wake walking back to the car.

Reactions: pdbailey
Houston and GS are not playing anything close to the same style.
Houston is playing the NBA style from 15-20 years ago based on the talent MD has st his disposal this season.

Houston couldn’t throw it into the ocean in the second half last night and GS shot lights out. I can’t count how many open 3s Houston missed.

It happens and Golden State is a great team. You can’t shoot 28% in the second half and beat the defending champs on their court in an elimination game.

This Goldon State team this year and the past few years is one of the best ever IMO. The Rockets are standing toe to toe and slugging it out. Shame Paul is hurt.

Not at all surprised to see Mike D where he is on the list of top 100 influences. Mike and Paul Westhead are two of the most maligned, yet successful, coaches in the history of the sport. The roster he had in NY and in LA couldnt have won G-League championships - much less mattered on the NBA scene. Last I checked, the way you win basketball games is to have more points on the board than your opponent... I think its a God-send that we dont have to watch 85 point NBA games that are more reminiscent of a WWE Ladder Match than a basketball game thanks to the style that Mike brought back into the league and is now "en vogue".

When you play the style GS and Houston play that can easily happen. I know Danny tells us all the time that we can be up by 20 and quickly down by 20. When you play fast paced and live and die with the 3 it can and does happen. Makes for excitement however. I wouldn't trade that style of basketball for anything. Nothing more boring to me than to pay $35 for a ticket to see a 59-56 college game. I remember seeing those in pre D'Antoni days, Even after a win it would be like a wake walking back to the car.
7 of 44 from three point land is NOT going to win you very many games. His defense showed up in the first half, but went into the witness protection program in the second half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT