ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Green

For the people who bash kids for leaving in the portal, let me say this... You don't think under recruited corners will look at Dyoni Hill's (starting at miami) IG and see "oh wow, he played well at Marshall and transferred up"? Same with Elijah Alston, Stephen Dix, etc. Basketball with Handlogten and Taylor (weird situation but he went SEC). It definitely has an impact. Be grateful for what they provided us and what we provided them, and cheer them on.

It is absolutely a gut punch when they leave, but it looks good for Marshall in recruiting.

However, in Green's case, he's a young edge rusher who is draft eligible, having the best season of his life. Go pro, young man.

I do find it interesting our fans are pre-complaining about a kid who came to us via the transfer portal potentially leaving us via the transfer portal. I mean, I get it, Green is good, but it is a tad bit hypocritical.

All of that said, Green is actually four years removed from high school. If he ends up being a top 100 pick in the NFL (he's trending that way), he's guaranteed at least $5.5 million dollars over the next four years. No school in America is paying him anywhere close to that much.

I mean, maybe he wants a shot a playing For Ohio State or UGA, but that would be a huge risk. Those programs have 3 deeps littered with potential pros at DE, so PT would be far from guaranteed.

I do find it interesting our fans are pre-complaining about a kid who came to us via the transfer portal potentially leaving us via the transfer portal. I mean, I get it, Green is good, but it is a tad bit hypocritical.

All of that said, Green is actually four years removed from high school. If he ends up being a top 100 pick in the NFL (he's trending that way), he's guaranteed at least $5.5 million dollars over the next four years. No school in America is paying him anywhere close to that much.

I mean, maybe he wants a shot a playing For Ohio State or UGA, but that would be a huge risk. Those programs have 3 deeps littered with potential pros at DE, so PT would be far from guaranteed.
Not really complaining, completely understand especially now knowing he’s eligible for the draft. (I would do the same if I had a legit shot) I just miss 10 years ago when you found that diamond in the rough and got some players around them and you had a solid team for multiple years. It can be a complete reload every year now depending on what happens.. eligibility means nothing anymore, particularly in G5. I’m personally not a fan of CH, but he’s done a pretty good job of reloading with the portal players.
GO HERD!

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Not really complaining, completely understand especially now knowing he’s eligible for the draft. (I would do the same if I had a legit shot) I just miss 10 years ago when you found that diamond in the rough and got some players around them and you had a solid team for multiple years. It can be a complete reload every year now depending on what happens.. eligibility means nothing anymore, particularly in G5. I’m personally not a fan of CH, but he’s done a pretty good job of reloading with the portal players.
GO HERD!
Using the word complaining was probably unfair. I get what you're saying and agree with the rest of your post completely.

Reactions: Herdfan1986
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT