ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Griffis

I wonder what type of footballs Mitch Griffis like to throw? and if now MU has an over supply of them?

Pennington bio on Herdzone

Then our own website is wrong... "Rated a three-star prospect by ESPN.com and 247Sports.com … Received offers from Akron, Ball State, Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee-Martin … Helped lead Sayre to an 8-1 record a junior … Also played free safety at Sayre … Runs the 40-yard dash in 4.87 seconds with a shuttle of 4.44 … Plays basketball as well."
No one really counts FCS offers. As to who is right and who is wrong with their ratings that's just depends on the scouts. 247 hands rating out like candy and their offer lists are usually wrong. They've shown players with offers from us that we never offered and even had players as "committed" to us that didn't even hold offers.

The ESPN rating is respectable. Rivals just decided a few years back to be a little bit more stingy with their ratings to try and be more accurate. There used to be a lot more 5-stars in years past than in recent years. When you do a search there are only 18 5-star recruits for 2025. In the past there would have been more.

Also you are on a RIVALS site, so of course when we discuss ratings we're going to discuss the RIVALS ratings. Especially the MODS. It's not good business to promote competitors.

I wonder what type of footballs Mitch Griffis like to throw? and if now MU has an over supply of them?
Tom Cruise What GIF

He did get some valuable playing time but I think he was also put into some situations where the play calling made it tough on him. We had a game, at home, where he went in with the ball on our own 1-2 yard line and throw a pass on the first play that was picked. Earlier when Fancher was in the game, same situation, we ran the ball and got it out to the 12-15 yard line. There were other situations, that one just sticks out to me.

That's because he is not a very good runner. Look at his Hudl. It shows exactly what we have; Slow feet, Ball hangs.

I think we need to ask a serious question about Cole: would we have even recruited him if it weren't for Chad?
Three years ago, there was a really intelligent, charming, handsome, charismatic, successful, and very modest poster who weighed in on this topic. In fact, he was the one who introduced it even though the rest of the fans were full of great excitement for the Pennington offer. Let me see if I can find who that poster was . . .

Oh, it was me:

Oh, and that same poster also touched upon Fancher in that same thread. Here is what he said about Fancher. He seemed to hit the nail on the head about Fancher probably being successful with his legs early in his career but struggling to throw the ball other than the quick game and struggling to go through his progressions and resorting to his legs after his first or second look at not there:

• Haha
Reactions: bgr30
Depends on where you look.

Well, I'm not going to consider what 247 Sports suggests in terms of recruiting ratings for other reasons besides this being a Rivals page.

They're entirely too liberal with their ratings and worry more about camp attendance (ESPN the same) than they do film review or actual on-field production.

Too many instances of those outlets rating kids much higher than the end results would agree with.

FWIW: Compare the offers Cole had to the offers that Long had. I am not saying Long is the better option, but he was certainly a higher recruited QB prospect than Cole coming out of high school. Long enrolled in January and it will be interesting to see the rankings of the QB position at the end of the fall camp. JMO.

Long did have offers from Appy and ECU. He had offers from MAC schools Kent; Miami and Toledo. He also had offers Memphis; Arkansas State; UMASS and some FCS schools. Rivals had him listed as a 3 Stars recruit.

FWIW: Compare the offers Cole had to the offers that Long had. I am not saying Long is the better option, but he was certainly a higher recruited QB prospect than Cole coming out of high school. Long enrolled in January and it will be interesting to see the rankings of the QB position at the end of the fall camp. JMO.

Long did have offers from Appy and ECU. He had offers from MAC schools Kent; Miami and Toledo. He also had offers Memphis; Arkansas State; UMASS and some FCS schools. Rivals had him listed as a 3 Stars recruit.

all the rankings go out the window now that we see them on the field. If you let star services pick your team, you'll be in big trouble.

Reactions: RhinoD
Who cares about
all the rankings go out the window now that we see them on the field. If you let star services pick your team, you'll be in big trouble.
Who cares about "stars" it is all about the schools that recruit you. Most of the schools that recruited Long were equal to or better programs than Marshall. Cole didn't have a Memphis, ECU or Appy recruit him. Cole has nearly three years in the program and Long has only had a few months at Marshall. Again, I don't have a dog in this fight.

1. Cole is still a step or two slower than the game. That's to be expected given his experience level and the situations in which he was thrown into action.

2. If his name weren't Pennington, he'd be getting it a lot worse on here.

If he can take a big step forward this season then it would be a big boost to the program and him being Chad's son will bring more attention to the program and the headlines would write themselves.

I am sure that Chad has been working a lot with Cole trying to get him ready. Cole has a resource that no one else has.
Chad wasn't a 5* recruit either. But he turned out to be pretty good.

Reactions: ohio herd
It's a different day but 3 of our best QB's were not highly recruited. Chad, Lefty and Cato.
And thats the thing... We are very rarely, if ever, going to get a QB that is highly coveted by the bigger programs. That's just reality... The 5th kid on Georgia's depth chart is more sought after than our starter. We have to find guys that fit whatever offense we are going to run and get the most out of them.

Our staff did that with Cato... Since then, not so much.

I think the best thing for Cole (and our fans) is for the fans to leave Chad out of the equation.

Let Cole be Cole.

Maybe he'll be great. Maybe not. At this point, all they share is a last name.

Might be easier said than done. Seems to me, from afar; at least. There is some marionette going on behind the scenes.

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but please elaborate.

Not sure why you would regret it, but seems to me. Someone or a committee on the BOG is micromanaging the football team, at least has some influence. If this is the case I truly feel for Huff, he wasn't hired to be a puppet coach. I wonder if he is pressured to do things (others) way.

Just my opinion.

Not sure why you would regret it, but seems to me. Someone or a committee on the BOG is micromanaging the football team, at least has some influence. If this is the case I truly feel for Huff, he wasn't hired to be a puppet coach. I wonder if he is pressured to do things (others) way.

Just my opinion.

Confused Uh Oh GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Just my opinion.
I am not buying this. I will buy the fact that I dont think Huff hired his initial staff or at least most of them. I think his agent did most of the hiring.

That's because he is not a very good runner. Look at his Hudl. It shows exactly what we have; Slow feet, Ball hangs.
So he has slow feet and the ball hangs? Makes sense then to throw from your own 1 yard line? Or we could have handed the ball off to Ali, as we did in the previous example, in order to give the offense some room to operate....

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
If I am Huff I am going to hitch my horses to Cole until the wheels fall off. Of the 4 QB I saw at the spring game he is our best hope this year. I would put Parachek at backup.

If I am Huff I am going to hitch my horses to Cole until the wheels fall off. Of the 4 QB I saw at the spring game he is our best hope this year. I would put Parachek at backup.
yup, and if he does that, that buys him at least another year.

IDK... If anything is going to get Huff an extension it will be the back half of our schedule. We play the five worst (projected) teams in our conference all this year thanks to a quirk in the scheduling... Win those 5, beat Stony Brook and maybe Western Michigan and he will probably be okay.

Reactions: ohio herd

IDK... If anything is going to get Huff an extension it will be the back half of our schedule. We play the five worst (projected) teams in our conference all this year thanks to a quirk in the scheduling... Win those 5, beat Stony Brook and maybe Western Michigan and he will probably be okay.
I find myself being wishy washy on the subject of retaining Huff past this year! Got off to a bad start blowing the ECU game with a 17 point fourth quarter lead after looking good blasting Navy in Annapolis the week before, didn't care for his post game comments after the ECU meltdown. Beats ND in South Bend for probably the biggest win in school history and turns right around and losses to BGSU. HIs 4 years here have been average at best but not really woeful. In fairness he's had to cash some checks he didn't write namely NIL money. Which in my opinion had badly eroded what advantage MU used to hold over similar schools in terms of fan support and tradition of winning. Seems money talks and everything else is irrelevant. I guess we'll see how 2024 plays out!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT