ADVERTISEMENT

More evidence Covid vaccine mandates were based on lies

But if the company needs $X/drug to make it worth while to do all the R and D on the drug, etc....then the cost to the U.S. should be proportional to the usage of that drug in the country. We should not be giving massive discounts to other countries.
We have established that "massive discounts" really isn't the case when there is no guarantee these other countries will even get the drug. Again, what is the discount when this is the case:

Access to the best new treatments is a postcode lottery, subject to national and regional health-system rules, pricing and reimbursement negotiations, drug companies’ launch plans and the ability of local health care to deliver new treatments.

It’s a complex web of barriers that, at every turn, delays access to sometimes life-saving medicines. And it’s often the least wealthy countries that face the longest delays.

This looks "proportional" to me. You, at least, get to read the data and determine whether it's efficacy meets your requirement to prescribe. You, as a physician, get to determine whether the data makes sense enough to try for a patient.......NOT so in the EU (or Canada). And yet, the EU experiment appears to be what providers want here. More govt control of "care". Insanity.

We have established that "massive discounts" really isn't the case when there is no guarantee these other countries will even get the drug. Again, what is the discount when this is the case:

Access to the best new treatments is a postcode lottery, subject to national and regional health-system rules, pricing and reimbursement negotiations, drug companies’ launch plans and the ability of local health care to deliver new treatments.

It’s a complex web of barriers that, at every turn, delays access to sometimes life-saving medicines. And it’s often the least wealthy countries that face the longest delays.

This looks "proportional" to me. You, at least, get to read the data and determine whether it's efficacy meets your requirement to prescribe. You, as a physician, get to determine whether the data makes sense enough to try for a patient.......NOT so in the EU (or Canada). And yet, the EU experiment appears to be what providers want here. More govt control of "care". Insanity.

Sure, for new drugs/treatments you're right.

But these anti coagulants and immunotherapy drugs are not new. They are to my knowledge widely available. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle - I'm not sure there is a true lack of availability of many of these drugs in the EU and Canada.

Certainly for brand new or rare disease sites...but commonly prescribed cancer drugs for instance are widely available in canada....and way cheaper.

Would I want to practice in Canada? Hell no.
But are they benefitting from US over paying for many of their drugs? I think so.

To @raleighherdfan ‘s point.

Don’t get cancer in the NHS or Canada.

It’s one thing to not get timely access for an MRI on your bum shoulder. It’s a whole other thing to have to wait to address a deadly disease.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT