ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL PICK THE SCORE THREAD MU @ VPI prediction thread ...............

Wet field and sloppy conditions favor Tech. Knox will have to have a monster game and what passes Green does throw, need to be on the mark. Afraid our offense wont be able to get anything going and not that confident in our kicking game even if it comes down to a 40 yarder with seconds left to win.
Tech 27
MU 10

VT has improved as the season has moved on. Example beating UVA last week. Forget the ODU debacle
They have MUCH more to play for that we do.
VT-28
MU-17

Reactions: 31Herd55
Have they?

Before beating UVA they were coming off double digit losses to Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt (by 30) and Miami (by 24).

Their only W since September was against a putrid UNC team where they needed to score with 19 seconds left to win.

UVa put 31 points on them in the second half alone after spending the first half shooting themselves in the foot. UNC had the ball on the one yard line when they fumbled the ball away or that would have been another loss. If the Herd plays aggressive against them they will fold.

Have they?

Before beating UVA they were coming off double digit losses to Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt (by 30) and Miami (by 24).

Their only W since September was against a putrid UNC team where they needed to score with 19 seconds left to win.
I was going to say the same thing. I watched the game they played UNC. UNC fumbled at the 1 yard line giving VT the ball back for their last TD drive to win. I know they have also had a lot of injuries and kids transfer out recently. I wouldn't say they are better now

Wet field and sloppy conditions favor Tech. Knox will have to have a monster game and what passes Green does throw, need to be on the mark. Afraid our offense wont be able to get anything going and not that confident in our kicking game even if it comes down to a 40 yarder with seconds left to win.
Tech 27
MU 10
It could also neutralize their overall team speed as well

Secret handshake would be right up their alley. They are buying a bowl game just to keep the streak alive and would do anything to make sure it happens. MU should take the money and end the streak. They can be taken down and hopefully the Herd will do it.

24-21
Hokies late with a secret handshake that MU takes the dive.
Why would we do that when we will get a better bowl game if we win? Besides, that is illegal and would result in major sanctions, firings, and probably jail time.

BLACKSBURG — J.C. Price and Cornell Brown were there at Virginia Tech when the Hokies’ run of 25 consecutive bowl appearances first started.

Saturday, they hope to be there when it ends.

Price and Brown, two of Tech’s all-time great defensive players, are now assistant coaches at Marshall, which visits Lane Stadium on Saturday in a game the Hokies must win to extend their run of postseason appearances.

“The hard part is the fact that you were involved in starting the bowl streak,” Price said this week. “As an alumnus, I don’t want to see it come to an end. At the same time, as a member of the Marshall Thundering Herd, I’m going to go out there and I want to win a game on Saturday.”

Both Price, who coaches the Thundering Herd’s defensive tackles, and Brown, who works with Marshall’s defensive ends, played in the 1993 Independence Bowl, a win over Indiana that began the program’s bowl streak, currently the longest in the nation since Florida State failed to become bowl eligible this year.

Both went on to more bowl appearances with former coach Frank Beamer, two for Price and three for Brown. Both became All-Americans. Both later coached at their alma mater.

And both said none of that matters Saturday, when their focus will be on beating Tech (5-6).

“The emotion is, my job is to go win the game,” Brown said this week. “It’s not weird to me. Pretty much for me it’s just the business at hand. It just happens it’s a school I attended as an undergrad. But in the business of sports, my task is to go win a game for Marshall University.”
This will be Price’s third time coaching against the Hokies at Lane Stadium. He was on the staff at FCS James Madison when the Dukes stunned Tech in 2010. He joined the Marshall staff after the next season and was on hand for the Hokies’ 29-21 triple-overtime win in 2013, the last time these two teams faced each other.

This will be Brown’s first time on the opposing sideline at Lane Stadium, where his jersey was retired in 2002.
“Those guys … are special guys to me,” longtime Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster said. “They are two of my favorite players of all-time here. … Those are the guys that started the streak. I hope they don’t want to end the streak. I know deep down they’d like to see it keep going, but obviously they are professionals as well. They will want to come out and have their players play well and make a statement about them and who they are.”

The group Price and Brown coach has been arguably the strength of the Herd’s defense, which ranks third in Conference USA holding opponents to 20.3 points per game and leads the league in run defense, yielding just 100.5 yards per game on the ground.

The game Saturday was scheduled to replace games both teams had canceled due to Hurricane Florence on Sept. 15. Tech was set to host East Carolina and Marshall (8-3) was set to visit South Carolina. The Hokies need a sixth win to extend the bowl streak that began under Beamer and has continued the past two seasons under Justin Fuente.

Marshall agreed to Saturday’s meeting in exchange for a future home-and-home series, one that will be played in Huntington in 2023 and in Blacksburg in 2024.

Of course, convincing the Herd to play the game was one thing. Beating them may be another.

“I think we take it as a challenge that we get to go out and play a Power Five team,” said Price, whose team lost 37-20 to North Carolina State on Sept. 22. “We only got a chance to play one this season and that left a bad taste in our mouth. It gives us a chance to go out and prove to people how good we think we are.”

Reactions: Jeepers Creepers
We don’t even attempt to win. Luckily vt isn’t great so it will be somewhat close

27-13

I hope I’m wrong

We are getting paid to be a patsy... That would piss a guy like me off, but im not so sure kids today will care either way.

Crappy conditions, road game, low scoring...

VT - 19
MU - 13

Reactions: johns_1124
Thanks for coming the Herd Nation. We at VT think of Marshall as family due to history and connections on the coaching side. You guys have some great coaches and a really good team. I think the motivation was not as strong to win since your team was already bowl eligible and the crappy weather. I know your team is better than what we saw today. Good luck in your bowl game. Those who made it to Blacksburg, I hope you had a good trip down, and safe travels home.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT