ADVERTISEMENT

My rant

Rock98Dog

Platinum Buffalo
Jan 27, 2006
I don’t often start threads on this board, but I’m just amazed at a lot of what I’m reading and it’s just easier to put my thoughts in one spot.

1. I visit a lot of message boards and each have their own personality. This one is usually fairly light because most posters are relatively intelligent and have a life bigger than just Marshall sports. With that said, this game has turned this board into a carbon copy of a competing board where everyone just acts like somebody just shot their dog.

2. The game - this game only showed one thing - this team and coaching staff say the right things, but they don’t live those things. The only game that matters is this week, the only opponent I’m focused on is this weeks opponent, etc. From watching the first half I believe the coaches didn’t think they had to be worried and the players took that cue and didn’t focus on prep.

Why do I say that? Well, look at the game plan. Ali played the first possession and then was played sparingly the rest of the half. He only had six carries by halftime. Second, not only didn’t Fancher run any in the first half, he never even looked to run. These two things tell me that the staff put together a vanilla game plan with the main goal being to keep our 2 key offense players injury free. The result of that brilliant plan was a goose egg for the half.

After the embarrassment of the first half, we saw our real offense and we scored 3 straight TDs in less than 6 and a half minutes of possession on only 17 plays. Ali got his carries, got his TDs and averaged 8 ypc. Fancher pulled the ball and ran to keep the LBers honest. We attacked sideline to sideline to take advantage of our speed advantage. I’m convinced we didn’t really want to put that on film, but had to.

When the team sees the game plan and they know it’s a go though the motion plan, they are just going to go through the motions with their prep. Owen Porter said it in his post game interview. Guys were lax, didn’t watch as much film as they should have, etc. Montgomery said essentially the same thing. Not surprisingly, the two guys pointing it out both had good games because they prepared the right way.

3. Anyone that tries to project the season off that game is being ridiculous. The only thing I take from it is the coaching staff needs to practice what they preach and hopefully learned that lesson.

4. Fancher completed 80% of his passes and averaged 7.7 ypa. He did fine managing his role and was better in the 2nd half once their D had to make sure he didn’t take off with the ball. He’ll never be the type QB that can pass you back from a 20 point deficit, but he can be serviceable. He has a Bernie Morris ceiling.

5. The defense was fine considering what I mentioned above. Two busted plays accounted for 14 of their 17 points and a third of their total production. A little more focus and film study fixes that. We had 7 sacks and gave up 2.9 ypc and 3.3 ypa in the passing game. That’s very stout numbers.

So conclusion, we will know what we have in five days, we don’t already know. To act like we do is basing a conclusion on flawed information.

When I opened the thread and saw all those words and paragraphs, I figured it was rifle posting highlights of his trip to Tokyo.
Last I heard, he was on his way home with a plane load of ninjas. He was upset that BC had infiltrated our school and was going to address the issue. He must have gotten lost.

As it almost always does, the truth lies in the middle...

There are a subset of doom and gloom posters who think the team sucks based on one half of football.

There are a subset of posters who think beating Albany by a field goal is completely fine and anything MU does in any sport is amazing.

The reality is, we looked absolutely awful for the first half. Playcalling, play execution, situational coaching -- Pretty much all the way around terrible.

The second half was better offensively, but we gave up a couple big plays on defense, which can't happen when we play better opponents.

We won, but it was generally ugly. And no not all wins are the same, just like not all losses are the same. Who you play matters and we played a mid-pack FCS team, at home, in perfect conditions.

I expect to see vast improvement this week. If not, that will be disappointing, but either way we will learn a lot about what we've got.

You should book some action here. What kind of odds you give on a winning season?
He's too big of a coward to actually make such a prediction. He's still mad his boy got shown the door 3 years ago and wants this guy to fail so he can claim a moral victory. That's why when this team wins, we dont see him for a few days and he sneaks back in to predict the next loss. He's a loser.

I already laid significant $$ legally on season under 7 1/2. I have no real interest in betting with you guys on a message board.

As to this Doc nonsense, this has nothing to do with him. Back in the day, a few posters, including you, could not be happy with the wins Marshall getting in conference or against other G5 conferences. I simply, and correctly, pointed out that if you cannot be happy with us winning against the teams we play, then MU sports is not for you. Find something else where you can be happy with the results.

This thread is about the current coach, CH, and the current team, and why it was almost beaten by a mid pack team from a low conference in a division below us that was paid to play us. That is the subject. Not Doc.

I already laid significant $$ legally on season under 7 1/2. I have no real interest in betting with you guys on a message board.

As to this Doc nonsense, this has nothing to do with him. Back in the day, a few posters, including you, could not be happy with the wins Marshall getting in conference or against other G5 conferences. I simply, and correctly, pointed out that if you cannot be happy with us winning against the teams we play, then MU sports is not for you. Find something else where you can be happy with the results.

This thread is about the current coach, CH, and the current team, and why it was almost beaten by a mid pack team from a low conference in a division below us that was paid to play us. That is the subject. Not Doc.
I did the opposite with over 7 wins. cashed out nicely on the ecu spread and the OVER.

I'm starting to think, as I'm reading this board I will read the opinions and do the opposite just like fading the public, should pay nicely.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT