ADVERTISEMENT

My takeaways from being at Va Tech

Small Biz A: Mr. Marshall, I would like to help fund your program by buying some advertisements at your sporting events. What levels of advertising do you offer.

Mr. Marshall: Sorry, we have all the advertising we need. We charge the businesses we want a lot more, so you can't access.

(Sarcasm on) Yes, totally makes sense that a small program fighting to maintain functionality in a big $$$ world, operating in a small lower economically challenged community, would turn away biz willing to support the program. That's basic economics. (Sarcasm off)

cool

Reactions: Herdguy04
Small Biz A: Mr. Marshall, I would like to help fund your program by buying some advertisements at your sporting events. What levels of advertising do you offer.

Mr. Marshall: Sorry, we have all the advertising we need. We charge the businesses we want a lot more, so you can't access.

(Sarcasm on) Yes, totally makes sense that a small program fighting to maintain functionality in a big $$$ world, operating in a small lower economically challenged community, would turn away biz willing to support the program. That's basic economics. (Sarcasm off)

cool

Yeah.. that's certainly the way this would go. Good call.

Why do you come here? If you dont have a take, then dont comment.

I mean he's right. This thread is dumb. The OP was made in jest and mentioned some things I wished we did better. Then some of you got into your feelings and decided that I was brutally attacking Marshall by just saying "hey some things could be better, why don't we try and make them as good as we can. It really has been a waste.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I mean he's right. This thread is dumb. The OP was made in jest and mentioned some things I wished we did better. Then some of you got into your feelings and decided that I was brutally attacking Marshall by just saying "hey some things could be better, why don't we try and make them as good as we can. It really has been a waste.
I never claimed you were attacking Marshall. I too believe things can be better. Quit getting your feelings hurt because someone questions your suggestions. I'm just not naive enough to think that limiting the income potential of programs that desperately need the income to keep up with the needs and improvements fans are demanding is the way to go.

W-S's shtick is to always claim "he wasted time". No need to comment if you truly "wasted time".

No matter what I say you guys are going to twist it and make up whatever you want. It's all hypothetical, so continuing to argue
I'm not arguing. I am discussing. You claimed your suggestion was basic economic principles and attempted to suggest we didn't have a 5th grade understanding of economics. What is hypothetical about that? I have asked basic questions based on your own words and you wont explain it.

I never claimed you were attacking Marshall. I too believe things can be better. Quit getting your feelings hurt because someone questions your suggestions. I'm just not naive enough to think that limiting the income potential of programs that desperately need the income to keep up with the needs and improvements fans are demanding is the way to go.

W-S's shtick is to always claim "he wasted time". No need to comment if you truly "wasted time".

Ok, so then what can we do to make Marshall better?

I'm not arguing. I am discussing. You claimed your suggestion was basic economic principles and attempted to suggest we didn't have a 5th grade understanding of economics. What is hypothetical about that? I have asked basic questions based on your own words and you wont explain it.

Less advertising space means you can charge more for the remaining space that you have. In this scenario Marshall controls supply, by limiting the supply they can adjust demand which leads to a higher price. Obviously, there is a point at which this becomes counterproductive. You want to find the equilibrium point at which Marshall is most profitable and also not saturating its own product.

My statement is simple: I don't believe we have achieved such an equilibrium point. I could be wrong, after all I am an outside observer.

Ok, so then what can we do to make Marshall better?
Sticking with the Advertising theme...maximize our income opportunities. Offer more advertising with less expensive options to attract more advertisers and sponsors instead of hitting up the same large companies we've seen the last few years. Organize/coordinate the advertisements into the fan experience the way it's done at ACC schools like NC State.

In this scenario Marshall controls supply, by limiting the supply they can adjust demand which leads to a higher price
Limiting advertising & charging higher prices limits the smaller companies who may want to participate in advertising their product but dont have the big marketing budgets to do it. Marshall should do the exact opposite of what you are wanting to happen if fans want a growing thriving program. They should broaden their reach of advertising opportunities so anyone that wants to attach their name to marshall/sports can. Not LIMIT those opportunities.

Sticking with the Advertising theme...maximize our income opportunities. Offer more advertising with less expensive options to attract more advertisers and sponsors instead of hitting up the same large companies we've seen the last few years. Organize/coordinate the advertisements into the fan experience the way it's done at ACC schools like NC State.
What does that look like? More ads on the score boards? Ads on the shewey building (not the ribbon board)? On feild tudors biscuit logos? Jersey patches? Billboards on top of the shewey building? Every first down sponsored by GoMart? Every quarter sponsored by a new business? Turnovers by Paula Vega? Press box windows having the glass with the advertising wrap?

I'm not being a dick here, I'm genuinely curious how we expand our advertising.

But again, this thread has completely gone off the rails from the original point, what are some other ways Marshall can be better? Beyond advertising.

What does that look like? More ads on the score boards? Ads on the shewey building (not the ribbon board)? On feild tudors biscuit logos? Jersey patches? Billboards on top of the shewey building? Every first down sponsored by GoMart? Every quarter sponsored by a new business? Turnovers by Paula Vega? Press box windows having the glass with the advertising wrap?
Why not?? Example: NCSt during the last 2 mins of every home basketball game...if the visiting team misses 2 free throws in a row, the entire arena gets a free chick fil a sandwich the next day at area chick fila locations by showing your mobile app ticket. The arena absolutely erupts the last two minutes with fans screaming to get the guy to miss 2 free throws so they can get a sandwich.

How about Marshall gets 10 1st downs in a game (a major milestone these days), attendees with electronic ticket get a discounted tank of gas from GoMart that night..

What's wrong with jersey patches and field logos? OkST has QR codes on player helmets.

End of quarter(s), on the field fan "contests" sponsored by.....

The refs make an obvious wrong call costing Marshall a win...MU health gives a free prostrate or colon cancer screening to the first 25 fans who call and request. Or a free set of false teeth at a timeout for a local who can gum down 10 Stewarts Hot dogs...oh wait, bad example (sarcasm)

That's the thing about advertising. Get creative, involve the crowd in the promotion and have some fun selling and executing it.

This thread hasn't gone off the rails. Everything fans want and the program needs to improve requires MONEY. MONEY. MONEY. No one wants to pay for it, and now some... (you) want to limit the only other way to obtain the resources necessary to get the improvements. It makes no sense.

Why not?? Example: NCSt during the last 2 mins of every home basketball game...if the visiting team misses 2 free throws in a row, the entire arena gets a free chick fil a sandwich the next day at area chick fila locations by showing your mobile app ticket. The arena absolutely erupts the last two minutes with fans screaming to get the guy to miss 2 free throws so they can get a sandwich.

How about Marshall gets 10 1st downs in a game (a major milestone these days), attendees with electronic ticket get a discounted tank of gas from GoMart that night..

What's wrong with jersey patches and field logos? OkST has QR codes on player helmets.

The refs make an obvious wrong call costing Marshall a win...MU health gives a free prostrate or colon cancer screening to the first 25 fans who call and request. Or a free set of false teeth at a timeout for a local who can gum down 10 Stewarts Hot dogs...oh wait, bad example (sarcasm)

That's the thing about advertising. Get creative, involve the crowd in the promotion and have some fun selling and executing it.

This thread hasn't gone off the rails. Everything fans want and the program needs to improve requires MONEY. MONEY. MONEY. No one wants to pay for it, and now some... (you) want to limit the only other way to obtain the resources necessary to get the improvements. It makes no sense.
The problem is that things like basic maintenance of your facility should not be something you have to "raise money" for. That's something that should've been accounted for in your budget long ago.

The problem is that things like basic maintenance of your facility should not be something you have to "raise money" for. That's something that should've been accounted for in your budget long ago.
"Long ago" budgets are irrelevant to our budget needs now. I would expect maintenance and upkeep, in part, comes from current ticket sales. Not knowing the specific ticket sales #s the last few years, it's easy to assume those numbers have been challenged in keeping up, while all costs associated with maintenance and upkeep have increased. Again, the money has to come from somewhere. A budget has to have income and must-see increased income/growth year over year.

Where would you suggest raising the additional income to meet basic needs occur? Since when was our discussion about basic maintenance anyway? I thought we were talking about stadium expansions, new facilities-improvements, funding athletes, coaching-incentives, etc.

Limiting advertising & charging higher prices limits the smaller companies who may want to participate in advertising their product but dont have the big marketing budgets to do it. Marshall should do the exact opposite of what you are wanting to happen if fans want a growing thriving program. They should broaden their reach of advertising opportunities so anyone that wants to attach their name to marshall/sports can. Not LIMIT those opportunities.

Exactly. They'll be able to afford some much but being left out because of limited space and only affordable by half a dozen companies, isn't going to gain much support from said business.

It's actually working against MU to limit this.

I'm not being a dick here, I'm genuinely curious how we expand our advertising.

But again, this thread has completely gone off the rails from the original point, what are some other ways Marshall can be better? Beyond advertising.

That's exactly what MU should do.

Until they get ACC levels of money, that's what they can afford to do.

Even the P4 programs are allowed to advertise on the field itself and I believe patches on jerseys.

There few, and I mean very few, who could afford not to do that.
Marshall isn't one of them.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

He doesn't see VT and the like, get tens of millions of dollars and STILL do advertising to gain more revenue. He really thinks everyone else just has money except Marshall.

I have also said, creativity doesn't cost anything, and if it's specific to the area and fans, it could work.

MU and Tudors needs to capitalize on Huff's comments on their biscuits yesterday.

"Long ago" budgets are irrelevant to our budget needs now. I would expect maintenance and upkeep, in part, comes from current ticket sales. Not knowing the specific ticket sales #s the last few years, it's easy to assume those numbers have been challenged in keeping up, while all costs associated with maintenance and upkeep have increased. Again, the money has to come from somewhere. A budget has to have income and must-see increased income/growth year over year.

Where would you suggest raising the additional income to meet basic needs occur? Since when was our discussion about basic maintenance anyway? I thought we were talking about stadium expansions, new facilities-improvements, funding athletes, coaching-incentives, etc.
Bathrooms being updated, stadium having small upgrades is all maintenance. It’s all something you know you have to replace one day.

Being better organized at games costs $0 by the way.

Creator of thread: Redsfan5590
Yeah, this thread was a tongue in cheek look at the things other schools do, while also pointing out several things we could do better. Including fan engagement and organization during the games.

Then you and Raleigh hijacked it to talk about how I said we shouldn’t have advertising and it became all about advertising.

And apparently your father was killed while installing the plumbing at the Joan because you have a vengeance that burns inside of you that I mentioned the bathrooms need updating (something everyone agrees with) and a few other stadium upgrades. You decided long ago you didn’t like me because… who knows, I guess I had the nerve to say maybe we shouldn’t have blood on the bleachers and it’d be cool if our stuff looked better. And ever since decided to be a douche about it.

That's exactly what MU should do.

Until they get ACC levels of money, that's what they can afford to do.

Even the P4 programs are allowed to advertise on the field itself and I believe patches on jerseys.

There few, and I mean very few, who could afford not to do that.
Marshall isn't one of them.

Good sell everything. Screw fan experience or atmosphere! Sell every second you can.

He doesn't see VT and the like, get tens of millions of dollars and STILL do advertising to gain more revenue. He really thinks everyone else just has money except Marshall.

I have also said, creativity doesn't cost anything, and if it's specific to the area and fans, it could work.

MU and Tudors needs to capitalize on Huff's comments on their biscuits yesterday.

Creativity is great. And advertising is important. It should be strategic.

Then you and Raleigh hijacked it to talk about how I said we shouldn’t have advertising
Now you are just lying. Why do you have to lie? YOU introduced the advertising discussion by suggesting we needed less of it. We just pointed out how dumb of an idea that is, by the way.

Now you are just lying. Why do you have to lie? YOU introduced the advertising discussion by suggesting we needed less of it. We just pointed out how dumb of an idea that is, by the way.
There you go again, I’m not lying. This thread was about more than advertising. That’s all it began. We’re currently beating a dead horse. It’s dumb and annoying. So you have a good one. ✌️

This thread was about more than advertising.
Or was the advertising discussion your biggest take away?
Ads (probably my biggest takeaway)
Just admit you got called on your ridiculous biggest takeaway of eliminating advertising opportunities for some sponsors in lieu of charging fewer sponsors more and have been unable to offer a supporting opinion as to why it was a good idea for growing the revenue Marshall sports need to go beyond the MAINTAINING, every Marshall fan is supposedly crying to have. I would expand on your continued hypocrisy throughout the discussion but agree. It's not worth the time to continue.

Or was the advertising discussion your biggest take away?

Just admit you got called on your ridiculous biggest takeaway of eliminating advertising opportunities for some sponsors in lieu of charging fewer sponsors more and have been unable to offer a supporting opinion as to why it was a good idea for growing the revenue Marshall sports need to go beyond the MAINTAINING, every Marshall fan is supposedly crying to have. I would expand on your continued hypocrisy throughout the discussion but agree. It's not worth the time to continue.
I explained it. You didn’t accept it, which is fine. Neither of us is employed by the university so it ultimately doesn’t matter. I said we could maintain whatever level of funding we currently have by eliminating adds and creating more scarcity. It’s a basic economic principle. When you lower supply you raise demand, ceteris peribus. There is a line and you don’t want eliminate advertising and you want to be very strategic with it. But I believe we could actually increase our revenue and offer less ads. You don’t. That’s fine, we don’t agree. Again, no one’s in charge.

Have a good day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT