ADVERTISEMENT

Need Help from S. Carolina Herd fans

oldeherd

Gold Buffalo
Jan 24, 2014
Would appreciate any latest info that you all may supply. Suppose to head out Sunday to Myrtle Beach after we go to Herd game Saturday.

From national sources, Weather.com, weather channel, etc., it looks like that although Hurricane is trending east and north away from coast, the massive amounts of rain and flooding are the real issues along the Carolina coast. We worry more about loss of utilities, power, along the coast, as well as the flooding issues in the general MB area. To lesser extent, we realize that flooding and rain would also be issues along the route, especially from the High Point and Rockingham areas in NC on to the coast.

So we're thinking of trying to reschedule our beach trip a little later in the month. Any updated info that people could post in the 24 hours or so will be greatly appreciated! And to all in that area, I hope you and yours stay safe and have little to no serious problems from this bad weather event!

Have no idea at this time as to what Sunday will be like , right now here in Columbia we have on and off drizzle with an occasional light shower..cool ( present temp is 59 degrees) , will know more tomorrow as if we are going to be seriously impacted ( rain) it will begin tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Will try to help you out as much as possible..do know this , next week beginning on Tuesday its supposed to be clear / partially sunny to sunny the rest of the week. Also..after living here for 22 years , what happens in the Columbia area is not what always takes place at the beach as well as most always the weather people here are about a day off from what will actually take place.

We've been in Myrtle since yesterday at noon. no flooding, just constant rain. If you're coming to eat and do indoor attractions, all is fine except the wet runs to and from the car.

Started raining here about an hour ago..not a downpour for sure but a soft steady rain. Will let you know in the morning how the rest of the night goes as well as what I wake up to find. Like PhattyB said , nothing major at this time ( flooding) just a constant rain.

Looks like the biggest mess will be in Charleston coming up 26 to Columbia then on to Greenville/Spartanburg and points north vs MB and the northern SC coast. Then again, this could all change.

Raining here in Columbia , Charleston is flooding , Greenville has issues / and the rain is to continue until sometime tomorrow.

Trying to get to the beach from Huntington ( looking at the width of the storm ) might be more of the issue than what you find when you arrive at the beach.

Next week from Tuesday on is supposed to be sunny and dry.

We've been in Myrtle since yesterday at noon. no flooding, just constant rain. If you're coming to eat and do indoor attractions, all is fine except the wet runs to and from the car.
So all the pictures of flooding they've been showing on the news from myrtle beach never happened

Most of the flooding thus far in Grand Strand in North Myrtle, RT 9 corridor, and into Calabash, NC, Localized flooding in the south end towards Murrels Inlet/Garden City

Sunday will be the worst day, the problem will be getting in to Myrtle depending on what RT you take and where you are going.

I have a place there and am getting reports. Again, your problem with be roads getting in an out. Hwy 9 to 31 is closed.

Again, Sunday will the worst and this thing is not over with yet. I would recommend being careful if you go. They are going to perhaps 6 more inches of rain on Sunday. I would recommend being careful and have an alternate plan for a couple of days. Flooding at the coast can happen quickly and it can change at a moments notice. Don't play around with it. To say nothing is going on is false. Remember it is not just the rain, but the tides that effect water levels there. Keep an eye on it. THe worst has not hit yet.

Last edited:
I left MB yesterday at 1. It was wet and cold but no flooding yet.

here is a good web-site to follow for road closures and info

http://www.wmbfnews.com/

the problem will be tomorrow as that will be the worst day getting in and out, depends on where you are going to in the area

Check the local road closures on that web sit for planning trip.

Last edited:
So all the pictures of flooding they've been showing on the news from myrtle beach never happened

Exactly I guess. I'm here, and didn't see a thing. Heard on the radio that north Myrtle was having some problems after last nights rains, but that was after I posted. As another poster said, the problem may be getting here rather than actually being here. Today as mostly dry and the sun came out.

Travel North and South and you will see it. Again, Sunday is the worst day. I say that and I own a home south of myrtle and I am getting reports. It is not good. I am just hoping my place survives.

The entire state of SC is under a shelter in place. The storm is shifting north again.

Travel North and South and you will see it. Again, Sunday is the worst day. I say that and I own a home south of myrtle and I am getting reports. It is not good. I am just hoping my place survives.

The entire state of SC is under a shelter in place. The storm is shifting north again.

Thanks to all of you who responded. Decided to cancel our trip at this time. Hope you all survived this terrible weather incident relatively unscathed. We hope to still make it to MB later this month if conditions there are improved. Thanks Again- - - Herd people are the greatest!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT