ADVERTISEMENT

New Rule to Make Bowl Season More Exciting

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
There's been some talk in here about bowls being kind of boring. Well if anyone is watching the TexasTech/Ole Miss Bowl both teams are just going for it on 4th down just about every time. There have been 9 so far. Lane Kiffen went for it on his own 10 and then did a fake punt around his own 35.

Maybe during bowl season for non championship bowls the teams have to go for it every time. No punting. This game has been nuts.

you see the defender for ole miss go down when TT was moving so fast.. “with an injury”.

The new rule on this should be if any player goes down for an injury, without a collision, the team with the injured player must spend a time out or lose 5 yards.

The Kansas comeback forcing 3 overtimes was fun to watch, not to be out done by the Oregon doink extra point that went in to beat NC last night. Both those games were anything but boring.

Sure you get some clunkers but you also get some exciting football. I’d rather watch a boring college football game then just about anything else on tv.

Yeah, brilliant. Just completely change the rules for bowl games only. Who wouldn't want to see college football bowl games turn into XFL style events. Just for added 'fun', maybe they could hold WWE events at halftime.

Easier fix would be to reduce the number of bowl games
Won't happen, imo. I've watched all or some of every bowl so far. Probably only one I won't is the barstool sports one. It's college football, there's a market for it and somebody's making money.

Won't happen, imo. I've watched all or some of every bowl so far. Probably only one I won't is the barstool sports one. It's college football, there's a market for it and somebody's making money.
You should watch Real Housewives instead of The Barstool Bowl

• Haha
Reactions: ru4_mu2
There is an SI article this week on discussions for changes to bowl season. The gist of it is that there is some sort of "Bowl Season" governing body with an executive director that plans to meet with ADs and conference commissioners this spring with the goal of improving bowl season when the playoff expands. The general ideas on the table are:

1. Starting bowls earlier in the calendar if Week 0 becomes Week 1 so as to allow bowls to be played over 3 weeks instead of 2 weeks. Smaller bowls will be finished by the holidays.
  2. Increasing eligibility requirement to 7 wins, even if it means fewer bowls.
  3. Paying the majority or all of the bowl payout after expenses to the players instead of the teams/conferences with the goal of decreasing opt outs.
  4. Removing conference tie-ins from bowls.
  5. Creating more network competition in bowl coverage. 24 of the current bowls are NOT owned by ESPN, but only 3 of them are not televised by ESPN.

Go undefeated for a couple years, win your conference, land yourself in the top 12 and play for a national championship! That would be fun to watch.

you see the defender for ole miss go down when TT was moving so fast.. “with an injury”.

The new rule on this should be if any player goes down for an injury, without a collision, the team with the injured player must spend a time out or lose 5 yards.
I was thinking about this. Seeing how you can't call a player out for faking. Any player that goes down should have to sit a quarter. You can say it's in the "interest" of the injured player.

Yeah, brilliant. Just completely change the rules for bowl games only. Who wouldn't want to see college football bowl games turn into XFL style events. Just for added 'fun', maybe they could hold WWE events at halftime.

Could make it like the old Rock and Jock stuff on MTV.

Maybe a circle around the 30 yard line if you throw a TD out of it it’s worth 12 pts.

Noooooooo. I have watched at least part of every bowl game played so far. After next week, I will go into withdrawal because there is no more college football to watch.
Some of the games were crappy, some were great. It was interesting to see teams play that had never played each other before. Some teams didn’t even belong in a bowl, but it was college football and that is what counted.

Reactions: HerdInChicago
Noooooooo. I have watched at least part of every bowl game played so far. After next week, I will go into withdrawal because there is no more college football to watch.
Some of the games were crappy, some were great. It was interesting to see teams play that had never played each other before. Some teams didn’t even belong in a bowl, but it was college football and that is what counted.
If you can end the season with a losing record after a bowl game you should in no way be rewarded with a bowl game

Reactions: FreddyReef
This site:

will help you out.

If you don't want to watch a particular bowl game, change the ****ing channel.

This "there are too many bowl games" crowd just don't understand what college football is all about. But don't worry, the focus of evil in the sports world, ESPN, will soon have some ridiculous playoff with too many teams, making the regular season meaningless, and returning school like our to the system that existed before the expansion of bowl games in the early 2000s. Win your conference, or stay home.

No thanks.

They just need to increase the win total to get in to 7 games. The benefits of the bowl: Extra practice time. A chance to go somewhere new (especially for kids who haven't traveled a lot). Perks. Extra film for coaches to break down. One more time to go out on the field with your guys. It might not mean everything, but it does mean something.

Reactions: 31Herd55
& quit counting a win over Wide-Spot Tech from D-4F as a legitimate win in qualifying for a bowl slot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT