ADVERTISEMENT

New WBB coach

Jartard

Platinum Buffalo
Oct 29, 2019
I know nothing about the lady. Probably a good hire for us.

I think plucking a top end D2 coach is a great idea. But my understanding, D3 is a different world. Hope it works out.

I think plucking a top end D2 coach is a great idea. But my understanding, D3 is a different world. Hope it works out.
I believe that Randy Moss’s daughter is the head coach at a D3. Could be a nice staff hire.

We won’t be seeing the substitutes every 3 minutes or a full court press for 40 minutes with this coach. Time will tell. Has coached a lot of games and has won a bunch.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

I agree, but if a coach is good they can coach at any level. Stan Parish was 42-3-1 at a D3 school (with one year at Purdue) and he turned out to be a good coach for Marshall.

how did it work for him after Marshall? if you can coach you can coach
He had a long career in coaching and evidently was well respected everywhere he went. Even a very good coach needs the support around him to be successful too. I remember when he left for KSt. No one thought KSt was a program with the desire to actually accomplish anything. Stan took the $$

how did it work for him after Marshall? if you can coach you can co made a bad choice going to Kansas State which at that time was one of the worst football programs in college football. Marshall almost broke their longest college losing streak record before we upset BGSU when Rick Tolley was our coach. One year KSU lost at to Morehead. Some jobs are easier than others.
Parish made a really decision taking the Kansas State job. KSU was one of the worst programs in college football when he took the job. Marshall almost tied their longest losing streak in college football except for Rick Tolley upsetting BGSU at homecoming in 1969. One year KSU lost a home game to a really bad Morehead team. Some jobs are easier than others.

Think about this:
Suppose, when Tony Kuemper moved on, we had reached out to Juli Fulks, offering her the same salary Tony was making ($?), and having shown no commitment to making the extra investment needed to attract a quality coach. Also not having any post season success in decades.
Would she have been interested? Probably not.
Another + from the one year we had Kim steering the ship…..

Last edited:
He had a long career in coaching and evidently was well respected everywhere he went. Even a very good coach needs the support around him to be successful too. I remember when he left for KSt. No one thought KSt was a program with the desire to actually accomplish anything. Stan took the $$
He only went 20 yrs between victories

Parish made a really decision taking the Kansas State job. KSU was one of the worst programs in college football when he took the job. Marshall almost tied their longest losing streak in college football except for Rick Tolley upsetting BGSU at homecoming in 1969. One year KSU lost a home game to a really bad Morehead team. Some jobs are easier than others.
A decision he openly said he regretted, saying he should have stayed at Marshall

A decision he openly said he regretted, saying he should have stayed at Marshall
Stan couldn’t wait to get out of Marshall. He started looking for his next job the day he arrived at Marshall. Stan really thought he had all the answers

Stan couldn’t wait to get out of Marshall. He started looking for his next job the day he arrived at Marshall. Stan really thought he had all the answers
Gosh, that was just so long ago. All I remember is we broke the streak at ETSU in an indoor dome of some kind. And like a fart in the wind, he was gone.

Funny, he must be lying because I have seen numerous interviews of him saying he should have stayed. It's been said as much in the local media from a few outlets.

Gosh, that was just so long ago. All I remember is we broke the streak at ETSU in an indoor dome of some kind. And like a fart in the wind, he was gone.
We rode the bus down to watch that game. Pretty darn sweet and what a party on the bus coming back.

Reactions: rvntx
Funny, he must be lying because I have seen numerous interviews of him saying he should have stayed. It's been said as much in the local media from a few outlets.
Hindsight is always 20/20. Both can be true He couldn’t wait to leave when he was here, after he got slapped around by the big boys he knew he should have stayed

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Seems like we have a basketball hiring philosophy — hire an EXTREMELY successful lower division coach, unless you believe D’Antoni has you by the balls.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Stan benefited from the a little softer slate than Sonny played and the fact that Sonny left him some kids that could play. Think we opened with WV State and Fodor and Swisher could play.

Stan benefited from the a little softer slate than Sonny played and the fact that Sonny left him some kids that could play. Think we opened with WV State and Fodor and Swisher could play.
true instead of the D1 team originally scheduled.

that also was the time period that the wvu program elevated a bit (i hate to type that) with the new stadium and Nehlen. that left more instate recruits for us whether they be scholly or walk on.

that also was the time period that the wvu program elevated a bit (i hate to type that) with the new stadium and Nehlen. that left more instate recruits for us whether they be scholly or walk on.
The NCAA had put a limit on scholarships. The days of Ohio State and Michigan having 500 players on their rosters were over. The Pitt team that won the National Championship had signed 120 players in one class….

• Wow
Reactions: marshallsig
The NCAA had put a limit on scholarships. The days of Ohio State and Michigan having 500 players on their rosters were over. The Pitt team that won the National Championship had signed 120 players in one class….
yes, I believe that was early 90s and that helped as well. we began getting it together in the FB in mid 80s (Parish coached then) and I think some of that was due to my earlier point, but you are correct as well with the scholly limits.

Last edited:
Stan had coaching connections outside the region and we started picking up some talented players from all over the southeast and northeast that made instant impact.

I know I am touching the 3rd rail adding to this thread, (Dear God I pray our men’s sports gets better) but thought would add an update on wbb & who we have lost/may lose to the portal.
1st, please someone in the know check me on this - the men’s & women’s portal closes on Wednesday this week (05/01). ??
Players currently in portal & status:
Syd Scott xferred to Fairfield
Terah Harness xferred to Buffalo
Aislynn Hayes
Alaysia Hayes
Meredith Maier
Mo Matthews
The amount of time the portal has been open, and with the deadline fast approaching, hopefully most ultimately decide to stay?

+ we really need a pg or two! C’mon Coach Julie!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT