ADVERTISEMENT

NHR: NCAA basketball and the FBI

Makes me think of when Dan Dakitch was hired at WVU, and was greeted by a player demanding the $35,000 Catlett's staff had promised him that he hadn't received, and was worried he'd be denied. This stuff has been going on forever, and is way more widespread than anyone wants to believe. Hell, look at what Donnie Jones got into at UCF - do we really think he wasn't doing it at Marshall?

One thing is for sure though - ain't nobody on Coach Dan's teams getting paid anything by anybody.

Hearing UL paid 100K for their highest recruit. Louisville has always been a slime ball school.

This is factually incorrect, and incorrect in a very important way. UofL didn't bribe a player. Adidas apparently paid the money (along with some other slimy folks.). One of the slimy people at Adidas recently left Nike to go to work for Adidas. I imagine he didn't suddenly become involved in bribery. If someone starts snitching, this could involved EVERY program that signs top level talent, because the bribes are not so much about a program but about shoe companies, agents, financial advisors. Stuff only top level talent is concerned about. One and dones and such. This has the potential to take down many programs.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
- Every time RICK PITINO or BOBBY PETRINO get caught cheating Loserville always responds with "everybody does it". Whatever. Do I think this does not go on lots of places? No, not that naive. But it seems Loserville is ALWAYS one of the ones that get caught.

- The US attorney and FBI doing the NCAA's job for it. Another failure by Ollie Luck to add to trying to play football at a high level, selling real football to Germans, soccer to Texans, and moving WVU from a conference its idiot fans thought was significant into being a field filler in the Big 2, Little 8. Everything this man does turns to s***.

- The NCAA will do exactly NOTHING about this. The big boys can cheat all they want, we get popped because KO's incompetent crony signed off on a trivial violation.

- That said, if they really want to flush corruption out of college sports, the US of A government is the one to do it. I get this complex case, but, hey if a booster pays a kid $$, that is basic tax evasion on both sides. That is how you cure this, if they really wanted to.

This is factually incorrect, and incorrect in a very important way. UofL didn't bribe a player. Adidas apparently paid the money (along with some other slimy folks.). One of the slimy people at Adidas recently left Nike to go to work for Adidas. I imagine he didn't suddenly become involved in bribery. If someone starts snitching, this could involved EVERY program that signs top level talent, because the bribes are not so much about a program but about shoe companies, agents, financial advisors. Stuff only top level talent is concerned about. One and dones and such. This has the potential to take down many programs.

May be true but did UL refuse to accept the player?

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I thought Bruce Pearl (who really appears to be a very likable guy) might have learned his lesson when he was forced out at Tennessee over multiple benefit improprieties. I guess not. It looks like one of his assistants at Auburn where he was given a second chance after Tennessee, is a center piece in this probe.

"One of the probes centered around Auburn assistant coach Chuck Person, who allegedly took thousands of dollars in bribes to steer players to a financial adviser and a high-end suit-maker".

I'd love to see big time college basketball, along with the slimy recruiting, handlers, agents, family members getting coaching positions, etc blow up and crash to the ground. Indictments and death penalties for all.

I thought the documents stated that a coach from University#6 asked for the payment...UofL is University#6. If a Coach was asking for the payment directly from Adidas that is as much on UofL from an NCAA standpoint as any other others. I believe the difference here is the UofL coach wasn't taking money himself. With the current investigation into UofL basketball involving strippers and now this...how does the Coach and AD not suffer here.

This is just the start. There will be more from Adidas get in trouble and then Nike will be involved as well. As the Feds said...they have the "playbook" now.

I thought the documents stated that a coach from University#6 asked for the payment...UofL is University#6. If a Coach was asking for the payment directly from Adidas that is as much on UofL from an NCAA standpoint as any other others. I believe the difference here is the UofL coach wasn't taking money himself. With the current investigation into UofL basketball involving strippers and now this...how does the Coach and AD not suffer here.

This is just the start. There will be more from Adidas get in trouble and then Nike will be involved as well. As the Feds said...they have the "playbook" now.

It is as much on them, but the point is this isn't boosters or whatever, it's the shoe companies. This is HUGE. So your second paragraph is dead on. Anyone thinking this is a program issue is completely missing what is going down.

The only way to get "corruption" out of college sports would be to take the colleges out of them altogether and privatize it. There is no way for any organization (not even the IRS) to accurately track and monitor athletes being paid under the table in real time.

The rock-and-a-hard-place of this issue is that a rookie league would be far more expensive to the NBA than the current collegiate system, which is essentially free, and provides roughly the same level of development and scouting. So long as schools are willing to front the cash, the NCAA will sell the broadcasts and the NBA will buy the talent when its ripe.

Forget your disdain for the NCAA (and Oliver Luck). The FBI and the DOJ are going to send people to prison over this.

'“We have your playbook. The investigation is ongoing,” the FBI spokesperson said during today’s press conference.

“If you are involved in this, call us,” the warning continued. “It will be better for you to call us than for us to call you.”'

As for ollie luck not doing anything about it? You're right...and it may cost him...
Think about it...he's 2nd in command of the NCAA who is supposed to monitor these things. It is very possible the FBI either gets a snitch (because the true lowest forms of human being are the ones who've not only broken the rules knowingly, but throw their friends under the bus for exemptions) who says NCAA had some knowledge hell, ANY knowledge is enough for the FBI to raid your office at this point.
Is it really out of the realm of possibility that the NCAA allows this crap to happen?
People think that the NCAA won't do anything, you're right. But the FBI will...and they don't care about what the NCAA does as they literally have ZERO power over the FBI.
Luck may just resign over it...as maybe even the president might...who knows?

My question is, did Louisville have any knowledge of this Adidas rep and player being paid to go to their school? If so, wouldn't that have been going on during the NCAA sanctions on them for their strippers and whatnot? Committing a major infraction (well, actually, a damn Felony) during that time is grounds for severe penalties.

Plus, the investigation is ongoing...they just decided to make it public. Combine this with not only the technology of the FBI but just the digital paper trails that everyone leaves. Programs who've sent texts, payments, conversations, calls, etc., are all fair game at this point.

Coaches aren't kicking back, I imagine many are hiring lawyers.

Would you trust the integrity of ANY investigation that Oliver Luck probably had a hand in conducting??
Absolutely not - I was happy to see someone handling this issue other than the NCAA handling it internally. We have all seen first hand how many smaller schools get destroyed when the NCAA handles issues like this internally.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs...hell-allegations-prove-correct-181930063.html

Pat Forde says Louisville should get the death penalty.

To that I can only add that Louisville is also having accreditation problems, the governor of KY seems to have a hardon for Louisville's administration, and the YUM Center (built with state borrowed money) was built with unrealistic revenue estimates and the state already made Louisville give up provisions that keep the place set up for basketball much of the time all season, to free up more dates for other events to try to pay off the debt.
Very bad times for Louisville. This could be the end of them for some time.

Could not happen to a nicer bunch.

What I am telling you is true, read the indictments and supporting fillings. My point is don't miss the forest for the trees because you don't like UofL. This is going to nail a couple dozen programs, at the least.

The latest briefing said a Asst. UL coach was in on a meeting with Gatto of Adidas when the money and player were discussed. The UL coach told Gatto that this should be handled very low key. Not sure how much more evidence is needed. To be honest, I could care less about any of the programs in question. I just happen to think the UL program is slimy.

'As for ollie luck not doing anything about it? You're right...and it may cost him...
Think about it...he's 2nd in command of the NCAA who is supposed to monitor these things. It is very possible the FBI either gets a snitch (because the true lowest forms of human being are the ones who've not only broken the rules knowingly, but throw their friends under the bus for exemptions) who says NCAA had some knowledge hell, ANY knowledge is enough for the FBI to raid your office at this point.
Is it really out of the realm of possibility that the NCAA allows this crap to happen?
People think that the NCAA won't do anything, you're right. But the FBI will...and they don't care about what the NCAA does as they literally have ZERO power over the FBI.
Luck may just resign over it...as maybe even the president might...who knows?

Adidas pays a player to go to Louisville. . .

. . .Oliver Luck is forced to resign from the NCAA.

Mighty big stretch you made there.

The latest briefing said a Asst. UL coach was in on a meeting with Gatto of Adidas when the money and player were discussed. The UL coach told Gatto that this should be handled very low key. Not sure how much more evidence is needed. To be honest, I could care less about any of the programs in question. I just happen to think the UL program is slimy.

Again, this is soooo much bigger than UofL. If that's all you are thinking reading on it, you are missing the really big news. The entire recruiting process is heavily ran by shoe companies. This is deep shit. If this doesn't change college basketball then the NCAA is completely corrupt and not in a moral position to judge any program.

Again, this is soooo much bigger than UofL. If that's all you are thinking reading on it, you are missing the really big news. The entire recruiting process is heavily ran by shoe companies. This is deep shit. If this doesn't change college basketball then the NCAA is completely corrupt and not in a moral position to judge any program.
I realize that Raoul. It is deep stuff but just pointing out the UL staff knew what was going on.
Yep, agree, this could blow up on a lot of schools.

I never figured out why the NCAA never investigated the Nike - Oregon relationship. Nike pretty much funds that AD.

Adidas pays a player to go to Louisville. . .

. . .Oliver Luck is forced to resign from the NCAA.

Mighty big stretch you made there.

It wouldn't be just him...it'd be the top of the NCAA in general...
As I said, its an ongoing investigation.
However, if the magnitude of this is half of what it could be, there will be a major demand of change and cleaning of house for everyone involved.

We just saw Pitino and their AD both out at Louisville...
Who's next?

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I realize that Raoul. It is deep stuff but just pointing out the UL staff knew what was going on.

I never figured out why the NCAA never investigated the Nike - Oregon relationship. Nike pretty much funds that AD.

Money. That's why. All the money Nike and Adidas pay programs, all the camps, all that stuff. It all hypes and promotes the sport, the recruiting frenzy, everything. The only thing the NCAA has cared about for a long time is money, and college basketball because of the tournament is their sugar daddy.

I'd be worried about IU because of Adidas, but Crean couldn't sign an out of state blue chipper even with a bribe lol. And Miller should be safe, coming from a small program.

All except for John Calipari, I am pretty sure he's clean as he got the message when he left Memphis. That's one Tiger who definitely changed his stripes.

Sorry, I forgot he was cleared by the NCAA every time - didn't need to change his stripes, he is a straight shooter.

All except for John Calipari, I am pretty sure he's clean as he got the message when he left Memphis. That's one Tiger who definitely changed his stripes.

Sorry, I forgot he was cleared by the NCAA every time - didn't need to change his stripes, he is a straight shooter.

One of the Adidas guys involved just left Nike. UK fans should be nervous.

Reactions: HerdFan1971

We should be fine. we don't seem to actually recruit basketball players that any big schools want.

Reactions: sistersville
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT