ADVERTISEMENT

NHR: WVU Programs Being Massacred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes because it’s only a matter of time that those cuts make their way to Huntington
In past they (legislature) would tell us to cut and we would cut...WVU would spew nonsense about the cuts hurting their world class reputation and the legislature would come " we didn't mean you".

large Schools have so many layers of administration and DEI employees that they should start the cuts there. They have grown fat building new facilities to try and entice students as they have taken 10 percent tuition increases every year. I hope Brad Smith being a business person is getting our house in order to survive the upcoming cuts that are inevitable.
I know wvu is pissed they are making cuts and we just got 45 million for a cyber security building at the corner of 4th Ave and Hal Greer. For us old timers, the old Hulios building.

Higher education was exposed during covid..frankly, much of brick and mortar colleges will die eventually. It is useless and too costly with modern technology.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I have contended for a long time, those in university and college administration have lived in a delusional fluffy bunnies and rainbows world; immune to the reality of todays world

Reactions: 19MU88 and herdtown
Looks like eliminating 174 faculty positions not including staff and support.
Completely eliminating Public Administration and World Languages.

A third of their Education School faculty are gone.

The actual list can be downloaded within this article:

The summary is, IMHO, this:

- You don't need mining engineers for the same reason you don't need miners.
- WVU's teacher's college has always been poor. It is not really a part of WVU's mission.
- Elimination of a lot of snowflake student loan deadbeat majors like "acting" "jazz studies" and all the gender studies nonsense.
- Elimination of a lot of POTENTIAL PhD paths, many of which have not awarded an actual PhD in years.
- Another (IMHO vain) attempt to shore up the 5th rate law school. If WVUCOL was not a state institution, they would have disaccredited it decades ago. Its bar passage rates are low compared to what it considers to be "peer institutions" and it offers classes that really have nothing to do with law, because the faculty is not only unqualified, but is a group of radical leftists who spend their time trying to indoctrinate the students.
- Elimination of a PhD in math. HTF do you get a PhD in math? A dissertation is supposed to be new and original research that adds to the knowledge of mankind. 2+2=4.
- Elimination of a PhD in foreign languages. Again, HTF do you get a PhD in a foreign language? Congratulations, you speak Spanish or whatever, as well as some illiterate dirt poor 12 year old in Guatemala. How is that the same thing as discovering something in a real field of study?

Again, however, notice how public this is? This racist and religious bigot Gee talking to the WVU lapdog media in an attempt to get yet more money to support his 65% out of state student college, on the backs of WV taxpayers and at the expense of WV students, most of which attend the schools that serve the state, Marshall being the foremost of those.

Because WVU is where YOU pay, and OTHERS benefit.

Its bar passage rates are low compared to what it considers to be "peer institutions"
Links and/or sources, please.

to support his 65% out of state student college,
Fake news! Why must you always lie with stats that you fabricate which always are skewed in favor of your argument?

Further, considering that out-of-state tuition is almost three times as much as in-state tuition, it isn't a bad thing for wvu to bring in that extra revenue to the state.

The reality is that out-of-state students test better than in-state high school students. Why would wvu turn down nearly three times as much revenue (more considering out-of-state will always pay for room & board) and produce more intelligent students compared to taking only students from West Virginia high schools?

- Elimination of a lot of POTENTIAL PhD paths, many of which have not awarded an actual PhD in years.
Link/sources, please.

because the faculty is not only unqualified, but is a group of radical leftists who spend their time trying to indoctrinate the students.
Moderators, do your thing. If not, I will make sure that this thread and board turns into Pullman 2.0. You're welcome, in advance, for helping do your job.

Moderators, do your thing. If not, I will make sure that this thread and board turns into Pullman 2.0. You're welcome, in advance, for helping do your job.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

large Schools have so many layers of administration and DEI employees that they should start the cuts there. They have grown fat building new facilities to try and entice students as they have taken 10 percent tuition increases every year. I hope Brad Smith being a business person is getting our house in order to survive the upcoming cuts that are inevitable.
I know wvu is pissed they are making cuts and we just got 45 million for a cyber security building at the corner of 4th Ave and Hal Greer. For us old timers, the old Hulios building.

I know they're hacked but they need to cut recurring costs and the $45M is a distribution of surplus funds, which will have a significant positive economic impact. I will add the impact Brad Smith will have on Marshall and our communities is tremendous.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
- If WVUCOL was not a state institution, they would have disaccredited it decades ago. Its bar passage rates are low compared to what it considers to be "peer institutions" and it offers classes that really have nothing to do with law, because the faculty is not only unqualified, but is a group of radical leftists who spend their time trying to indoctrinate the students.
The bar exam is racist anyway. Oregon recently dropped the bar exam requirement for lawyers.

Oregon May Drop Bar Exam Requirement After Data Shows Dramatic Racial Disparities​

Oregon has required lawyers to pass a bar exam for 111 years.

The Bar exam is too hard for many recent law graduates. The Oregon Supreme Court unanimously supported the next steps toward “alternative pathways” for attorney licensure

Last edited:
Reactions: Elkview
Yes because it’s only a matter of time that those cuts make their way to Huntington
Exactly. With a shrinking population in West Virginia how many jobs can you name (other than college professor) that requires a PhD in mathematics? Way too many useless degrees for any student staying in WV. Students need to do a better job of looking at the job market for any particular degree. Better yet pursue a vocational pathway. Money to be made in trades. Just saying.

No more $2 pitchers 🥲

The bar exam is racist anyway. Oregon recently dropped the bar exam requirement for lawyers.
Whatever, really should take your politics elsewhere.

The point is, while it is easy to s*** on the legal profession, any civil society needs a certain number of lawyers.

WVU is so poorly run that it is turning out graduates that are not trained and not qualified.

In law, and in many other fields, but the law school is a particular disgrace. Among the nation's worst.

Reactions: Elkview and 19MU88
The entire college structure is corrupt and broken. College is no longer about educating people. It's about making money.

Most degrees could take two years or less if you could only take courses pertaining to your field of study. Instead you have garbage like our Marshall Plan that has you taking courses that have nothing to do with your degree. Then there's all the useless degree programs that are offered now.

The entire college structure is corrupt and broken. College is no longer about educating people. It's about making money.

Most degrees could take two years or less if you could only take courses pertaining to your field of study. Instead you have garbage like our Marshall Plan that has you taking courses that have nothing to do with your degree. Then there's all the useless degree programs that are offered now.
I used to be the king of anti-Marshall Plan... I hated taking classes in geology, French, art history, etc while getting a degree in journalism.

As an adult, my stance has softened. Those classes provided some useful information and quality moments.

While it shouldn't take more than four years to get a bachelors because you have to fulfill extra requirements, I don't think the goal should be to become a meat grinder of education pushing out kids in 2 years so they can go join the workforce.

I used to be the king of anti-Marshall Plan... I hated taking classes in geology, French, art history, etc while getting a degree in journalism.

As an adult, my stance has softened. Those classes provided some useful information and quality moments.

While it shouldn't take more than four years to get a bachelors because you have to fulfill extra requirements, I don't think the goal should be to become a meat grinder of education pushing out kids in 2 years so they can go join the workforce.
That's exactly what a university should be. Especially when it costs as much as it does. As an accounting major I shouldn't have had to waste several thousands of dollars on courses that had absolutely nothing to do with accounting or business. I didn't need to take Bio 1 and 2. I didn't need a bunch of electives either and my parent's bank account sure didn't.

You're there to learn the knowledge and skills of the profession you've chosen to to study.

The whole education system has veered way off the course.

Last edited:

Oregon May Drop Bar Exam Requirement After Data Shows Dramatic Racial Disparities​

Oregon has required lawyers to pass a bar exam for 111 years.

The Bar exam is too hard for many recent law graduates. The Oregon Supreme Court unanimously supported the next steps toward “alternative pathways” for attorney licensure

Time out. This is bordering on breaking company policy. Moderator warning. Not recorded, this is just a "verbal" warning.

Disagree. You could could cut a batchelor's degree down(in many cases) and save time and money. Some of that stuff is just useless and if people want to learn that stuff then they could do it on their own. Do practical courses that mean something to the field.

The problem is college is taking too long and has become too expensive. I was bored to tears while in college. They could have condensed that stuff down and made it a 2 year program easy.

A batchelor's degree has already become cheapened. WHy not make it a more practical degreee and save people money to go along with it?

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Disagree. You could could cut a batchelor's degree down(in many cases) and save time and money. Some of that stuff is just useless and if people want to learn that stuff then they could do it on their own. Do practical courses that mean something to the field.

The problem is college is taking too long and has become too expensive. I was bored to tears while in college. They could have condensed that stuff down and made it a 2 year program easy.

A batchelor's degree has already become cheapened. WHy not make it a more practical degreee and save people money to go along with it?
Not to mention if you're trying to learn your major you're also having to worry about these other courses that you're never going to use. There'd be a lot less stress on the student. I'm not advocating for softening culture either. If you could just go to college and only concentrate on what you went there for and your workload wasn't as heavy it would probably produce more useful graduates.

If you took an apprenticeship for a trade they're not sending you to several other places to learn random stuff that isn't applicable to the trade.

A bachelor's degree done in two years is called.....an associate's degree. Yes, you should learn your major, but there is a certain amount of education that should be required of a bachelor's degree beyond that. The point being the major is important but so is the rest of it in developing the whole person. For example, the rest of the education helps to understand and possibly influence public policy.

Whatever, really should take your politics elsewhere.
Hey, you fvcking deplorable. Your MAGA ass was the one who brought politics on here to start. Don't tell that guy how to post when you started it. It's too bad the moderator won't do this job and suspend you like the rules state should happen, deplorable.

Reactions: Ninegate
Hey, you fvcking deplorable. Your MAGA ass was the one who brought politics on here to start. Don't tell that guy how to post when you started it. It's too bad the moderator won't do this job and suspend you like the rules state should happen, deplorable.
Can you clarify what you mean?

Reactions: Elkview
When reading the thread, thought I was on Pullman Square and almost made a post that would have gotten me suspended for the 3rd time on this forum. Is this thread a setup to lure me into getting banned again?
Me too. Is it a trap?

Please follow the rules. Now I'll resume my policy of not responding to you here. But again, please follow the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT