ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Reality

I’m wondering when an average student, who is only interested in college for academics, will file suit for having to pay a student activity fee. Why should this student have to help support pro college sports?

You do realize Student Activity Fees are not entirely related to sports, but go into a fund for campus activities like arts and entertainment, guest lecturers, and other non sports related events, right?

You do realize Student Activity Fees are not entirely related to sports, but go into a fund for campus activities like arts and entertainment, guest lecturers, and other non sports related events, right?
I do realize that. In this new age when high school sports stars get to negotiate deals to play college sports, students should be able to negotiate tuition. If I’m traveling to campus strictly for academic reasons, I should be able to opt out of fees for plays, concerts, sporting events, and other activities I will never use.

Last year Marshall got $6,775,000 from student fees for sports. Not sure how much went to arts.

Marshall has about 10,000 students so that’s $678 per student, per year. It adds over $2,500 over 4 years and is more than most “diehards” pay in Big Green dues each year.

This is THE point of all of this. A lot of students really don't care about sports, particularly college sports at the particular level their school is at. This is why I say the MAC is headed for a breakup. There are SOME schools, that have a high female to male ratio and a very high average age. They are being "taxed" to support one year and transfer athletes. Many don't follow sports, many follow other schools or first level pro teams.

There WILL be schools where the students will just say enough. Adding thousands to student debt (or to the hyper-inflationary costs of transferring that debt to others) for one-bid/G5/P4 bottom dweller/no one cares sports is a big ask when the teams are openly professional.

Imagine if, say, Wright State said every student needed to pay $500/year, but got in free to the Reds' A team, the Dayton Dragons. This is about what these schools are asking now.

This is THE point of all of this. A lot of students really don't care about sports, particularly college sports at the particular level their school is at. This is why I say the MAC is headed for a breakup. There are SOME schools, that have a high female to male ratio and a very high average age. They are being "taxed" to support one year and transfer athletes. Many don't follow sports, many follow other schools or first level pro teams.

There WILL be schools where the students will just say enough. Adding thousands to student debt (or to the hyper-inflationary costs of transferring that debt to others) for one-bid/G5/P4 bottom dweller/no one cares sports is a big ask when the teams are openly professional.

Imagine if, say, Wright State said every student needed to pay $500/year, but got in free to the Reds' A team, the Dayton Dragons. This is about what these schools are asking now.
Eh. The MAC will outlast everyone else. Why? Because they really don't care. Their overall apathy and low bar expectations has kept them chugging along.

Reactions: mufan08
Last year Marshall got $6,775,000 from student fees for sports. Not sure how much went to arts.

Marshall has about 10,000 students so that’s $678 per student, per year. It adds over $2,500 over 4 years and is more than most “diehards” pay in Big Green dues each year.
In 24-25 school year, JMU students will pay $2908.00 per semester student fees. It's a huge part of their athletic budget.

I do realize that. In this new age when high school sports stars get to negotiate deals to play college sports, students should be able to negotiate tuition. If I’m traveling to campus strictly for academic reasons, I should be able to opt out of fees for plays, concerts, sporting events, and other activities I will never use.
Yeah, sorry, not gonna happen.

Too many students do want to enjoy some other form of entertainment besides sports. You can't negotiate tuition because you can't really enforce limitations on facilities for education.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT