ADVERTISEMENT

Nonconference basketball schedule is out... And it's a joke

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
We better enjoy football, because there is nothing to look forward to with this garbage... How do we not play even one remotely good opponent, even on the road? We couldn't find one P5 team that wanted an early season home game? -- Doubtful... More likely we are chicken-shit and banking on winning 20 games against bottom feeders so we can proclaim "basketball is back."

Nov. 7 -- Queens College
Nov. 14 -- Tennessee Tech
Nov. 17 -- Miami Ohio
Nov. 19 -- Coppin State
Nov. 26 -- Morehead State
Nov. 30 -- Akron
Dec. 3 -- Ohio
Dec. 8 -- Duquesne
Dec. 10 -- Robert Morris
Dec. 13 -- UNC Greensboro
Dec. 17 -- Toledo
Dec. 19 -- Glenville State

Last edited:
It is unbelievably bad. Its hard to fathom how this steaming pile of poop was even approved.

OOC SOS could very well be in the 300s.
Without question... Our best non-league game is UNC Greensboro?... And the Sun Belt is awful.

Not playing one "real" basketball team is absolutely trash. We could win 28 games and not sniff the NCAA tournament. Nor should we with that schedule.

What will really upset us is our record after this season. I was going to send in to renew my tickets today, and am having second thoughts.

We better enjoy football, because there is nothing to look forward to with this garbage... How do we not play even one remotely good opponent, even on the road? We couldn't find one P5 team that wanted an early season home game? -- Doubtful... More likely we are chicken-shit and banking on winning 20 games against bottom feeders so we can proclaim "basketball is back."

Nov. 7 -- Queens College
Nov. 17 -- Miami Ohio
Nov. 19 -- Coppin State
Nov. 30 -- Akron
Dec. 3 -- Ohio
Dec. 8 -- Duquesne
Dec. 10 -- Robert Morris
Dec. 17 -- Toledo
A misguided effort to protect Dan!

Nov. 7 -- Queens College
Nov. 17 -- Miami Ohio
Nov. 19 -- Coppin State
Nov. 30 -- Akron
Dec. 3 -- Ohio
Dec. 8 -- Duquesne
Dec. 10 -- Robert Morris
Dec. 17 -- Toledo
Show me there’s heat on someone to win without showing me there’s heat on someone to win.

Nov. 7 -- Queens College
Nov. 17 -- Miami Ohio
Nov. 19 -- Coppin State
Nov. 30 -- Akron
Dec. 3 -- Ohio
Dec. 8 -- Duquesne
Dec. 10 -- Robert Morris
Dec. 17 -- Toledo
Damn, that's turrible.

I would hop the AD has to sign off on this nonsense.
I'd guess Spears gave them a little leeway this year being he is new to the job. I'd say next year, he'll be a little more involved - at least he should be. jmho.

Winning 20 games against that schedule is like bragging you beat Christopher Reeve in a foot race.
Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by NBA

I'd guess Spears gave them a little leeway this year being he is new to the job. I'd say next year, he'll be a little more involved - at least he should be. jmho.
I like Spears. He seems to be pushing us forward, but that's just garbage. You were hired to lead. Lead! There's apathy with MBB. The program has trended down every year since the tournament win and last year was a complete embarrassment. From the results to the complete lack of accountability Dan took for it.

Let's not pretend like ADs don't come in all the time and make wholesale changes from the start. Letting Dan stay. Sorry. Giving Dan a new contract when the other had expired was a mistake and allowing this garbage schedule to be made is another.

Again. I like Spears, but he's dropping the ball here. You're allowing Dan to just do as Dan wants at the cost of the program. Unless you don't think the program is worth or capable of much in the first place. Then by all means. Let Dan continue his hobby until he decides to retire.

Just don't demand the rest of us care. They clearly don't.

How do we not play even one remotely good opponent, even on the road?
As predicted
Nov. 7 -- Queens College
I literally have never heard of this school, and Google comes up with 30 different ones. None in Division One. I think it’s CUNY-Queens, which is a commuter school in NYC and in DII. Joke. Total joke.
OVC team. OK.
Nov. 17 -- Miami Ohio
MAC team, somewhat of a one-way rivalry. OK
Nov. 19 -- Coppin State
HBCU from the MEAC, which is the bottom DI league and wouldn’t be in DI if not for woke reasons.
Second OVC team, one was enough, but considering the location, this should be the one.
Nov. 30 -- Akron
OK
Dec. 3 -- Ohio
OK
Dec. 8 -- Duquesne
Dec. 10 -- Robert Morris
Two game road trip to the armpit of America, but OK
The best team we play. SoCon.
Dec. 17 -- Toledo
Why?
A 1500 student (less than half actually on campus, DII school that if it were not a state school would have lost it accreditation 20 years ago. An absolute joke. We could at least have played WV State or Harvey High and sold a few tickets. Joke.

This schedule, and the SBC is a low level basketball league means that if the team gets hot in the tournament (it happened once, it might again someday) it will get, and deserve a 16 seed.

The only real question is that if we lose the SBC, will we again pay to play in another joke tournament.

Queens College - I literally have never heard of this school, and Google comes up with 30 different ones. None in Division One. I think it’s CUNY-Queens, which is a commuter school in NYC and in DII. Joke. Total joke.
It's the one in Charlotte NC... I am pretty sure they are DII (Conference Carolinas)... According to Google, they are transitioning to DI and the Atlantic Sun Conference over the next couple years. Either way, garbage.

As predicted

I literally have never heard of this school, and Google comes up with 30 different ones. None in Division One. I think it’s CUNY-Queens, which is a commuter school in NYC and in DII. Joke. Total joke.

OVC team. OK.

MAC team, somewhat of a one-way rivalry. OK

HBCU from the MEAC, which is the bottom DI league and wouldn’t be in DI if not for woke reasons.

Second OVC team, one was enough, but considering the location, this should be the one.

OK

OK

Two game road trip to the armpit of America, but OK

The best team we play. SoCon.

Why?

A 1500 student (less than half actually on campus, DII school that if it were not a state school would have lost it accreditation 20 years ago. An absolute joke. We could at least have played WV State or Harvey High and sold a few tickets. Joke.

This schedule, and the SBC is a low level basketball league means that if the team gets hot in the tournament (it happened once, it might again someday) it will get, and deserve a 16 seed.

The only real question is that if we lose the SBC, will we again pay to play in another joke tournament.
Queens University, was college just a short time ago is in Charlotte. It has about 2200 students or so. It started out as girl's college. They just moved up to D1 in basketball and are in Atlantic Sun.

This is their basketball arena. We are for some reason going there to play.

image_handler.aspx

My guess this is a super easy way to save on travel budget and get a few games in before we start the new coaching search.
Not saying you're completely wrong, but if budget constraints are a motivating factor then why not play a money game like we did with Notre Dame in football. Allegedly that payday is paying for the travel expenses for the remainder of the season for football. Where is that equivalent game for MBB?

They are telling me we couldn't find one ACC team or BIg 10 team or SEC team or somebody to play? Not one?

We have been around playing basketball since Christ was a Corporal and we are playing at Queens in Charlotte?

Queens University, was college just a short time ago is in Charlotte. It has about 2200 students or so. It started out as girl's college. They just moved up to D1 in basketball and are in Atlantic Sun.

image_handler.aspx
I mean it's just ridiculous. It's one thing to schedule them. It's a whole other that we're traveling there. It's a complete waste of time and money. There is ZERO and I mean ZERO benefit to playing this game.

It does nothing to bolster our resume.

Someone said we recruit this area. No recruit is going to be looking at Marshall because we played Queens College.

Because we have alumni there? So we waste time and money so Marshall fans in Charlotte can see the Herd play?

If you're worried about recruiting in that area or fans in that area seeing the Herd play there are PLENTY of better options in the state of North Carolina that accomplish that.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
"HBCU from the MEAC, which is the bottom DI league and wouldn’t be in DI if not for woke reasons."

What is a woke reason?

And just so you know, on March 14, 1997 Coppin State made history by becoming only the third No. 15 seed to defeat a No. 2 seed, which was South Carolina in the opening round. They lost the next game to Texas 82-81. So given our tournament history, aspersions shouldn't be cast.

Last edited:
They are telling me we couldn't find one ACC team or BIg 10 team or SEC team or somebody to play? Not one?

We have been around playing basketball since Christ was a Corporal and we are playing at Queens in Charlotte?
I am sure they could find a blue blood to play an away game but DD doesn't like doing that - from what we are told.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

image_handler.aspx
The ONLY reason for playing there would be its close to Handlogtens parents. Get him in the game and let mom and dad watch him play. jmho

Reactions: Pioneer_PA
Come on guys. Soft OOC schedule = Job security for DD
Hey, maybe we need to look a little further before jumping down Spears' throat!! To me, this has the MU BOG smell ALL OVER IT!! Danny's sister Kathy and few others of his "fan club" on the BOG probably sent word on down the line through the "chain of command" to let Spears know to OK whatever kind of drek schedule Danny and Mark Cline come up with. This has "CDOA" all over it, meaning "Cover Danny's Own A$$"! Hence the smell, or should I say "Stench" with a capital "S"!!

Well, thank goodness that, for agonizing Herd basketball fans, suffering greatly from the severe side effects of this exciting and challenging basketball schedule, they just in the last day or so opened up a new Medical Cannabis store out iin Barboursville!!! RELIEF is available, if you can survive the Long Lines, Herd Fans!!

Not saying you're completely wrong, but if budget constraints are a motivating factor then why not play a money game like we did with Notre Dame in football. Allegedly that payday is paying for the travel expenses for the remainder of the season for football. Where is that equivalent game for MBB?
They are getting $35 and a Bojangles biscuit for each coach and player to play at Queens.

Being a Marshall fan who grew up in the kanawha valley surrounded by moron fans of the team up north i spent so many days defending Marshall and our opponents and our wins, etc.

Sickens me to to have to want to do that on a daily basis amongst other Marshall fans.

never in my life have I seen a fan base who constantly look for things to rip on within their own program.

Being a Marshall fan who grew up in the kanawha valley surrounded by moron fans of the team up north i spent so many days defending Marshall and our opponents and our wins, etc.

Sickens me to to have to want to do that on a daily basis amongst other Marshall fans.

never in my life have I seen a fan base who constantly look for things to rip on within their own program.
I hate to be the one that has to break up your constant sunshine and rainbows... But if this basketball schedule is something you are looking forward to, are happy with, and/or are excited about - You may want to review your ability to look at things objectively.

Even if MU wins 90 percent of these games, it will mean absolutely nothing on a national level. This schedule makes us look like a bunch of wusses that don't want to play real basketball, so we can rack up wins against DII teams, teams transitioning to DI, and DI bottom feeders.

The message with this schedule is, basketball is an afterthought and the whole season comes down to 6 days on a neutral court at the end of the year.

But rah rah, the Shewey is doing great work, please buy tickets to watch Glenville State, Tennessee Tech, Coppin State, Chicago State, Queens College... No reason to buy now though, there will be thousands of tickets available every game day.

Is the schedule overly exciting? Maybe not. But I buy tickets to watch Marshall play. I don’t buy tickets to watch the opponent Marshall is playing.

here is my take on this. Granted the OOC schedule is weak. However we are still a winner takes all team in a one bid conference. I recall one year when Herrion was here we had a strong rpi and still couldn't get a NCAA at large bid and had to settle for a NIT bid (2011). The year before that we won 22 and had to take a CIT bid. Donnie Jones last year we won 24 games with a decent OOC and was snubbed by the NIT and once again settled for a CIT bid. Until we can win 20 + games on a yearly basis and win the bid to the big dance I think we are always a long shot for any at large bid to either the NCAA or NIT. I don't know the dynamics that Danny faced in putting this OOC together and agree that at least one money game would have helped but for now we just need to win so we can get to the next level. So for the foreseeable future we either win it all or play in the CIT

Reactions: Sunshine2269
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT