ADVERTISEMENT

Nonconference basketball schedule is out... And it's a joke

I recall one year when Herrion was here we had a strong rpi and still couldn't get a NCAA at large bid and had to settle for a NIT bid (2011).
We lost 12 regular season games that year. We were the 6 seed in our own conference tournament. Our RPI was decent but we had no argument for an at-large NCAA tournament bid.

Reactions: Jartard and RhinoD
Being a Marshall fan who grew up in the kanawha valley surrounded by moron fans of the team up north i spent so many days defending Marshall and our opponents and our wins, etc.

Sickens me to to have to want to do that on a daily basis amongst other Marshall fans.

never in my life have I seen a fan base who constantly look for things to rip on within their own program.
The REASON Spamite fans are morons is their inability to think logically about sports on a national basis, rather spewing the idiocy MetroLose, the Gag-zette, Channel 13, and Crapridi feed them.

In basketball, back in the day, it went something like this:

“Usens beat that there Saint Bonerventure, that theme is just like beating that they Kentucky, usens is so good”

“Wezens is goner play that they’re Rutgers and Temple, that there is just like playing Duke and that they Carerlina.”

“Us theys won that there Atlantic 10, that is just like that they ACC, maybe better. Usens is so good. Wezens are gonna win that there national championship”

Idiocy. And they hate us because we, used, to be the only ones around who laughed at that crap and knew, in informed them, that they were a 14th rate program that no body outside Morganhole or a WV welfare office took seriously.

Those were good times. I long for them to return now that USPAM has returned to a mid-major conference.

We USED to be the adults in the conversation. Now we are just like them. Arguing that this s*** schedule, and this (in basketball) s*** conference is other than it is.

This is a weak, unambitious, garbage schedule that, best case scenario, leads to a deserved 16th seed play in game and a 35 point assreaming by the ACC champion. Or, should DD not have another 8 day hot streak, paying to play in some meaningless garbage tournament.

We lost 12 regular season games that year. We were the 6 seed in our own conference tournament. Our RPI was decent but we had no argument for an at-large NCAA tournament bid.
I would not disagree with that Chris. But the purpose of playing a harder schedule is to get a better rpi so we can hopefully increase our odds of getting an at large bid to the dance if we don't win it all . In the 3 years I mentioned two of those years we had better records with decent rpi and still had to settle for the CIT. So I guess I am not sure what we need to do outside of winning the conference tourney. Just my view.

I would not disagree with that Chris. But the purpose of playing a harder schedule is to get a better rpi so we can hopefully increase our odds of getting an at large bid to the dance if we don't win it all . In the 3 years I mentioned two of those years we had better records with decent rpi and still had to settle for the CIT. So I guess I am not sure what we need to do outside of winning the conference tourney. Just my view.
If you want a better comparison for this year's schedule... Remember the year MTSU went 24-6 in the regular season, but lost to Southern Miss in the conference tournament? - They didn't make the big dance as an at-large, despite being ranked toward the end of the season. Their schedule that year was, literally, 10 times harder than our schedule this year and CUSA was/is a better basketball league.

With the schedule we have this year, MU could go 27-3 and probably not get an at-large bid.

This season comes down to a 6-day conference tournament... The rest of the games don't matter.

I want to see us challenge ourselves and this schedule does not do that in any way, shape or form. We have a ton of experience coming back in guys like Kinsey, OAK, Taylor, Early, Curfman (new to the team but playing his 4th year of d1 ball), Marko and Goran. They're all, COVID year aside, upper classmen.

I just don't understand the direction of our basketball program.

I want to see us challenge ourselves and this schedule does not do that in any way, shape or form. We have a ton of experience coming back in guys like Kinsey, OAK, Taylor, Early, Curfman (new to the team but playing his 4th year of d1 ball), Marko and Goran. They're all, COVID year aside, upper classmen.

Perkins is about to scold you.

That is another infuriating point... This is not football, where contracts are done 4-5 years in advance and you have to negotiate home-and-home deals, travel revenue, etc.

We could have called any P5 team east of the Mississippi and offered to come there for a game - Any one. I find it impossible to believe that schools would be "afraid" to host Marshall coming off a 12-win season.

I reside in Charlotte and received my MBA from Queens University. They are located near uptown Charlotte (off Queens Road). The Royals are always very competitive in Basketball (and have recently added baseball & ladies' softball). Their fields are located near Charlotte-Douglas International Airport where jets land & takeoff about every 6 minutes----**pretty loud while watching baseball. I might add they have a very nice field and Catfish Hunter (A's) was their first baseball coach. They are members of the ASUN, joining on July 1, 2022. Queens has a long history in the South Atlantic League [earning 11 NCAA Div II team national championships!] They've earned tournament play making the Final Four (Division II in 2003, 2018). They earned tournament appearances in: 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022. Curry Arena seats 2,500 and is home to the Royals men's, ladies' basketball, ladies' volleyball, and men's wrestling.

Don't underestimate their rich hoops history!

If you want a better comparison for this year's schedule... Remember the year MTSU went 24-6 in the regular season, but lost to Southern Miss in the conference tournament? - They didn't make the big dance as an at-large, despite being ranked toward the end of the season. Their schedule that year was, literally, 10 times harder than our schedule this year and CUSA was/is a better basketball league.

With the schedule we have this year, MU could go 27-3 and probably not get an at-large bid.

This season comes down to a 6-day conference tournament... The rest of the games don't matter.
"The rest of the games don't matter. "

Then why spend my hard earned money on games that don't matter? Why spend my money and buy single game tickets, season tickets, buy concessions etc... when the games don't matter??? And this schedule certainly shows this is the way they are thinking towards our basketball program. Maybe if we had any opponent, any, that I've heard of, I'd be glad to spend my money on the team. This schedule is an absolute embarrassment.

I reside in Charlotte and received my MBA from Queens University. They are located near uptown Charlotte (off Queens Road). The Royals are always very competitive in Basketball (and have recently added baseball & ladies' softball). Their fields are located near Charlotte-Douglas International Airport where jets land & takeoff about every 6 minutes----**pretty loud while watching baseball. I might add they have a very nice field and Catfish Hunter (A's) was their first baseball coach. They are members of the ASUN, joining on July 1, 2022. Queens has a long history in the South Atlantic League [earning 11 NCAA Div II team national championships!] They've earned tournament play making the Final Four (Division II in 2003, 2018). They earned tournament appearances in: 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022. Curry Arena seats 2,500 and is home to the Royals men's, ladies' basketball, ladies' volleyball, and men's wrestling.

I used to live in Charlotte from 85-93 I remember Queens, did not know they had a basketball team back then

"The rest of the games don't matter. "

Then why spend my hard earned money on games that don't matter? Why spend my money and buy single game tickets, season tickets, buy concessions etc... when the games don't matter??? And this schedule certainly shows this is the way they are thinking towards our basketball program. Maybe if we had any opponent, any, that I've heard of, I'd be glad to spend my money on the team. This schedule is an absolute embarrassment.
How much do you typically spend each year on the team? Tickets, tip off club, big green etc?

I'm not crazy about schedule either but to me it's a handful of games that should be nixed and replaced with solid mid majors or a high major or two

Reactions: bbneutralfan
They are members of the ASUN, joining on July 1, 2022. Queens has a long history in the South Atlantic League [earning 11 NCAA Div II team national championships!] They've earned tournament play making the Final Four (Division II in 2003, 2018). They earned tournament appearances in: 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022. Curry Arena seats 2,500 and is home to the Royals men's, ladies' basketball, ladies' volleyball, and men's wrestling.

200.gif

Surprised Marshall is playing in that size of a gym at Queens especially when Danny boy has a problem of gym sizes of EKU and Morehead state and does not want to play there anymore. Even though we have a history with them.

here is my take on this. Granted the OOC schedule is weak. However we are still a winner takes all team in a one bid conference. I recall one year when Herrion was here we had a strong rpi and still couldn't get a NCAA at large bid and had to settle for a NIT bid (2011). The year before that we won 22 and had to take a CIT bid. Donnie Jones last year we won 24 games with a decent OOC and was snubbed by the NIT and once again settled for a CIT bid. Until we can win 20 + games on a yearly basis and win the bid to the big dance I think we are always a long shot for any at large bid to either the NCAA or NIT. I don't know the dynamics that Danny faced in putting this OOC together and agree that at least one money game would have helped but for now we just need to win so we can get to the next level. So for the foreseeable future we either win it all or play in the CIT
Not so sure Mr Spears will be interested in shelling out $$$$ in a pay to play affair. We will see.

And the DD inner circle will tell you that's his mentality. That the regular season doesn't matter. It just matters getting hot at tournament time. I don't agree with that thinking. I say play a hard schedule, upset some teams, have a good record and just possibly get an at large bid or NIT bid. Even if you don't rack up a lot of wins with a more difficult schedule, it gets you prepared for a possible run in the conference tourney. jmho

How much do you typically spend each year on the team? Tickets, tip off club, big green etc?

I'm not crazy about schedule either but to me it's a handful of games that should be nixed and replaced with solid mid majors or a high major or two
Being 5 hours away, I usually make it to 3-4 basketball games a year... a couple in Huntington and maybe one on the road if MU comes within a couple hours of my home.

This year I will be at 1 - Morehead State on Nov. 26... Because I will be in Huntington for Thanksgiving and the football game anyway. I am assuming the football game will be a 2:30 (or earlier) kick and basketball will be a 7 p.m. tip - 2 birds with 1 stone.

Other than that, I will use my ESPN+ subscription.

Reactions: ohio herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT