ADVERTISEMENT

Note to AllEers6...

I don’t believe that he is even an average in-game coach and we are always a young team because he either recruits athletes that can’t seem to stay in school for various reasons or they are underachievers. He is also a terrible communicator with the fan base.

Based off what instances?

Every school in the country experiences attrition and what about the overachievers?

Doc operates in the same capacity as most coaches nowadays in terms of communication. If you’re a donor or season ticket holder then he’s reasonably accessible. If not, all I can say is that you should consider doing so if you want to hear from him or the staff.

Well, I’ve been a season ticket holder since Sonny was our coach and a modest donor as well. An announcement of those that signed in the early signing period is a prime example of how the fans are kept informed. It seems to me that we have overachievers that walk on rather than recruited athletes. I’m sure you are referring to all the overachievers that are now in the NFL. I get that you personally feel connected to Doc so you believe he is the answer for the Herd, I just don’t agree.

Reactions: 31Herd55
Well, I’ve been a season ticket holder since Sonny was our coach and a modest donor as well. An announcement of those that signed in the early signing period is a prime example of how the fans are kept informed. It seems to me that we have overachievers that walk on rather than recruited athletes. I’m sure you are referring to all the overachievers that are now in the NFL. I get that you personally feel connected to Doc so you believe he is the answer for the Herd, I just don’t agree.

As a season ticket holder and donor, do you attend functions held by the Athletic Department?

I believe there’s a method behind not announcing our mid-year signees that goes beyond what the common fan or someone that follows recruiting closely may understand.

As a season ticket holder and donor, do you attend functions held by the Athletic Department?

I believe there’s a method behind not announcing our mid-year signees that goes beyond what the common fan or someone that follows recruiting closely may understand.

Your attitude meshes well with the official athletic department stance. Yes I am just a “common fan” that couldn’t be expected to understand. I’m out of this discussion.

so you are saying Doc was offered the HC job at a Power 5 school and turned it down? Unless it was Kansas, I am having a hard time with that without a name.
I am having a hard time even thinking of a Power 5 school whose pay starts at less then $1.5 million a year, and as a new coach would be guaranteed for at least 4 yrs.

Pittsburgh had him as a finalist for their job and I am very sure he did in fact interview.
Also, many Florida Gator news reports had him as a potential candidate to replace Muschamp.

Impossible to think maybe he's just happy here?!

Reactions: pdbailey and ToesMU
Pittsburgh had him as a finalist for their job and I am very sure he did in fact interview.
Also, many Florida Gator news reports had him as a potential candidate to replace Muschamp.

I can confirm he interviewed at Pitt. Doc wants a P5 job before he retires but no luck yet?

Finalist and turning down the job are 2 vastly different things. I am calling BS on the latter. Sure he could be happy here, but if I am making X and someone offers me 3-4x $X, plus guaranteed for 4 yrs 90 minutes from where he spent most of his adult life, I think he could be happy there as well

Finalist and turning down the job are 2 vastly different things. I am calling BS on the latter. Sure he could be happy here, but if I am making X and someone offers me 3-4x $X, plus guaranteed for 4 yrs 90 minutes from where he spent most of his adult life, I think he could be happy there as well
Doc was not offered the Pitt!

Sometimes life transcends money at a certain age.

There is much more to Doc’s life in this area than just Marshall. That’s not downplaying Marshall in the least, It’s just the truth.

If you know that, then you should also know the other job he turned down and the dollar amount in which he was offered.

So if he interviewed for jobs then that must mean life does not always supersede money. It just might not have been enough to pull him away from his roots. Let's not pretend like Doc is Nick Saban but refuses to leave his loyal home. If the situation was right, he's gone. And without knowing him personally, I could almost guarantee if Florida came calling (which they never would) that he would bolt (as he should).

It is a ploy that some schools decided to do to "trick" some signees into thinking they are signing a bindable agreement when in reality, they aren't.

Based on the number of initials a school may have and the differences between signing an NLI and a grant-in-aid, some schools have "tricked" signees into signing something during the early signing period. That way, those signees think they have fully signed-on and can't change their minds or be recruited away by other schools.Those signees will have a big presentation at their school, post pictures of them signing on social media, etc. In reality, they aren't signing what most of the others are. They won't be able to sign a bindable offer until later. It mitigates the chances of losing that signee.

Other schools, assuming the recruit has signed somewhere, tend to back off which leaves him less susceptible to being poached by another school . . . unless of case the signee discovers that what he signed isn't binding.

So, that leaves the question of why some schools didn't announce their class from the early signing period? Well, assume you had 10 guys sign binding agreements and another 4 sign non-binding agreements. Schools can only announce those who sign legitimate, binding agreements. If the school announced those 10 signees and not the other 4 who thought they had also signed a binding agreement, the school would have some explaining to do . . . and there is no easy way to do that without offending the recruit, pissing him off, show him that you weren't necessarily up front with everything, possibly lose him to another school.

It is a good strategy some schools have selected to do, albeit one rooted in some shaky ethics.

It is a ploy that some schools decided to do to "trick" some signees into thinking they are signing a bindable agreement when in reality, they aren't.

Based on the number of initials a school may have and the differences between signing an NLI and a grant-in-aid, some schools have "tricked" signees into signing something during the early signing period. That way, those signees think they have fully signed-on and can't change their minds or be recruited away by other schools.Those signees will have a big presentation at their school, post pictures of them signing on social media, etc. In reality, they aren't signing what most of the others are. They won't be able to sign a bindable offer until later. It mitigates the chances of losing that signee.

Other schools, assuming the recruit has signed somewhere, tend to back off which leaves him less susceptible to being poached by another school . . . unless of case the signee discovers that what he signed isn't binding.

So, that leaves the question of why some schools didn't announce their class from the early signing period? Well, assume you had 10 guys sign binding agreements and another 4 sign non-binding agreements. Schools can only announce those who sign legitimate, binding agreements. If the school announced those 10 signees and not the other 4 who thought they had also signed a binding agreement, the school would have some explaining to do . . . and there is no easy way to do that without offending the recruit, pissing him off, show him that you weren't necessarily up front with everything, possibly lose him to another school.

It is a good strategy some schools have selected to do, albeit one rooted in some shaky ethics.

Interesting that it's becoming an industry norm - or at least is this year while schools were trying to figure out the early signing date.

Sounds like this is exactly what happened and probably led to Elijah Ratliff signing with Kent State.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
I agree with this statement but from what I understand was Doc was down right mean to Phil. I think it put Hamrick in a bad spot and that's why he put out that presser saying Phil would be back someday as our head coach. Also, Doc is very hard on all of his coaches.
He is not the only HC that is that way. Look at Saban at Alabama, he is supposed to be a nightmare to work for, but coaches do it because of the chance to learn from him and the huge sums of money being paid to them.

So, by your logic, we shouldn't even offer Byron a job should it be available.
People really think Chad or Byron would drop their secure jobs (Chad just being Chad and coaching HS but many HS' are just as respectable as colleges) to coach Marshall, but don't believe someone like Doc (who is actually from WV) to turn down higher paying opportunities in the P5?
Give me a break...
Hell, Doc being from wvu, has shown more loyalty to MU than most MU folks.

Reactions: ToesMU
People really think Chad or Byron would drop their secure jobs (Chad just being Chad and coaching HS but many HS' are just as respectable as colleges) to coach Marshall, but don't believe someone like Doc (who is actually from WV) to turn down higher paying opportunities in the P5?
Give me a break...

Doc isnt from WVU, he is from Herd country. That would be like Rich Rod coaching at Marshall, he would obviously rather be at WVU even if it was a lateral move or lateral pay. Same with Doc, he'd rather be at Marshall.

Give me a break...
I am not sure what Byron and Chad have to do with any of this.
I'll say it again, I am calling BS on Doc turning down a job offer from the AD/President of a Power 5 school, where contract discussions took place. That Doc said NO to earning a probable $8-$16 million over 4 years because he loves Huntington so much.
Could Doc have been contacted and had discussions? sure, but as mentioned that is different then turning down an offer.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
I'll say it again, I am calling BS on Doc turning down a job offer from the AD/President of a Power 5 school, where contract discussions took place. That Doc said NO to earning a probable $8-$16 million over 4 years because he loves Huntington so much.
Could Doc have been contacted and had discussions? sure, but as mentioned that is different then turning down an offer.

I'll meet you in the middle.
He was contacted. At the very least, got an idea of an offer.
He called Hamrick and gave him either a list of changes or had Hamrick counter.
I imagine Doc's demands would make the AD step up their game but not in an impossible way.
Hamrick did.
Doc stayed.

Because Chad and Byron are in, essentially a similar situation...and would have to turn down something higher, to go to MU.
I love MU but being a coach at any level in the NFL is a higher position.

[QUOTE="All4TheHerd, post: 516792, member: 10433"
I love MU but being a coach at any level in the NFL is a higher position.[/QUOTE]
agreed

I imagine Doc's demands would make the AD step up their game but not in an impossible way.
Hamrick did.
Doc stayed.
what demands did Doc make of MH? And what demands were not met, if any?

[QUOTE="All4TheHerd, post: 516792, member: 10433"
I love MU but being a coach at any level in the NFL is a higher position.
agreed[/QUOTE]

You're saying a special teams coach or WR coach in the NFL isn't going to leave for a D1A head college coaching job? Hmmmm

You're saying a special teams coach or WR coach in the NFL isn't going to leave for a D1A head college coaching job? Hmmmm[/QUOTE]
in that case, I would say it depends on the HC job. Bill O Brien (sp?) left the Pats (some say he didnt have a choice) goes to PSU for 2 yrs and gets a HC job in the NFL. But BO'B wasnt just a position coach in the NFL either.
Would say a Byron leave his NFL gig to become the HC at say a Texas State? I think that would depend on how Byron feels his career trajectory in the NFL is going. Does he think he'll be a OC in 2 yrs by staying put? If so, I doubt he would take the HC mentioned. If OTOH, he's been toiling for 10-15 yrs as an NFL asst then maybe he might take that gig.
Now are there many NFL assistant coaches wanting to become college assistant coaches? My answer to that is no.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
what demands did Doc make of MH? And what demands were not met, if any?

I imagine higher salaries for one. Probably scheduling better as well. I'm sure plenty of things that Hamrick could do. I don't know how many weren't done...seems like he did many since Doc is still here.

You're saying a special teams coach or WR coach in the NFL isn't going to leave for a D1A head college coaching job? Hmmmm[/QUOTE]

Sluggo basically answered it for me.

I am not sure how far Byron is going to go in the NFL or what his coaching goals are. I imagine he would want to stay in the NFL for a while if he can.
To what capacity? Again, depends on him. One thing I do know, he doesn't seem to be losing sleep over MU.

00f4636f66da01c5dc16abb5766ae267fbf4765467e849e550f3cc92c006003f.jpg

Reactions: JudgeDD
Based off what instances?

Every school in the country experiences attrition and what about the overachievers?

Doc operates in the same capacity as most coaches nowadays in terms of communication. If you’re a donor or season ticket holder then he’s reasonably accessible. If not, all I can say is that you should consider doing so if you want to hear from him or the staff.

Actually it should be the other way around. The donors and season ticket holders have bought in, they are already engaged in the program.
If Marshall wants to win fans and potential donors, they need to reach out the community and be accessible at events such as those at Pullman Square, etc.

Actually it should be the other way around. The donors and season ticket holders have bought in, they are already engaged in the program.
If Marshall wants to win fans and potential donors, they need to reach out the community and be accessible at events such as those at Pullman Square, etc.

And PullmanFinger!

Hamrick did.
Doc stayed.
Doc had an interview was contacted whatever but he was never offered that job. Now had he gone in with a different mindset then maybe but he was not offered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT