ADVERTISEMENT

NPR

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
For any of you following the NPR fiasco, this is a pretty good article. And strangely, I mostly agree with the resigned employee and the writer of this article. I also think NPR has been a kickass organization historically, but their past middle-of-the-road reporting has diminished.

I've been following as well.

My dad used to listen to NPR every morning in the car and on weekends taking me to sports stuff, so I have a soft spot.

I was listening regularly up to around maybe 2018 and then it went batsh*t insane. I remember them interviewing latinos about something and the NPR reporter would use "latinx" while the actual latino said "latino."

This lady they hired is a joke. She's like a caricature, part Robin DeAngelo, part Grifter....know the right phrases to say to get ahead as she espouses her luxury beliefs.

As it relates to the article ( just skimmed it quickly), I think the author is touching on journalists somehow morphing into journavists (part journalist, BIG part activist).

Regardless of your thoughts on NPR, their Tiny Desk Concerts are worth watching on YouTube. They have a wide array of artists ranging from Tyler Childers to Taylor Swift to Jeezy to Maluma.

agree. Those have been really cool.

The left/hipsters usually do music stuff (or coffee or food) well.

The world is better with some of that sensibility....but I draw the line at denying truth exists or pursuing "justice" over truth. I think that's where that NPR sphere veers off...

As it relates to the article ( just skimmed it quickly), I think the author is touching on journalists somehow morphing into journavists (part journalist, BIG part activist).
Historically which do you think the norm has been?

I wonder if we tricked ourselves in very roughly the 70s-90s into thinking something like an unbiased perspective and unbiased journalism was even possible. Or if it were preferable for people to even try to do that. I think if you go too far before that most people would understand that’s a ridiculous thing to claim to be.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Historically which do you think the norm has been?

I wonder if we tricked ourselves in very roughly the 70s-90s into thinking something like an unbiased perspective and unbiased journalism was even possible. Or if it were preferable for people to even try to do that. I think if you go too far before that most people would understand that’s a ridiculous thing to claim to be.

Good question. I’m not sure.

It seems we had a better sense making apparatus in that 70-90s era but maybe that’s just my coming of age bias or something.

I think there is merit to trying to objectively look at the facts without then prognosticating the implications of what happens if a certain % of people then interpret the facts for an outcome you don’t like. Kind of a platitude but I think the article is getting at that - Biden laptop or lab leak are good examples.

NYT or NPR never really entertained or gave merit to those things that are happening because of what the downstream effects could be. Even if their intentions are pure it’s too paternalistic for me.

Or if you can’t be objective then let some alternative viewpoints run in the paper/radio. Look at the fall out from the Tom Cotton OpEd or what they did to Bari Weiss then compare it to say the back and forth letters they published from James Balwdin versus Jewish leaders before. Absolute bomb throwing allowed to go on there. Seemingly wouldn’t be tolerated today.

I think there have always been crazy people writing crazy things and reasonable people writing reasonable things. Not unbiased things, because I think that doesn’t exist, but reasonable things.

The bigger difference, to me, is how those things get distributed and found/pushed. And just how good companies got at figuring out what drives whatever that days version of engagement is.

And also, with the internet, everything is much less personalized. If a Milton Times writer wrote some crackpot stuff he might get made fun of at the bar that weekend. Now whoever can post some article to their Twitter and never run into a single person in real life who has read it but be surrounded by backpatters online.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Regardless of your thoughts on NPR, their Tiny Desk Concerts are worth watching on YouTube. They have a wide array of artists ranging from Tyler Childers to Taylor Swift to Jeezy to Maluma.
I agree! They feature a lot of non-mainstream artists.

I didn't even no what NPR was until I read the thread. Read the headline and thought rifle was transitioning. No Pussy Required is what I was thinking. Just got out of the hot tub again after my normal 9 o'clock soaking. No weiner again, but pouring a little warm water on it to see if that will somehow bring it back. Doubt it works though, so thinking I need to go back to reading penthouse forums like I did in the 70s before retreating to the bathroom.

• Haha
Reactions: 30CAT
I used to listen to Public Radio quite a bit. Radiolab, This American Life, Mountain Stage, Morning Edition, Fresh Air, etc... There's zero doubt they leaned left but they were entertaining. Not anymore. It's insufferable. I dare anyone to go on a long drive & listen to NPR for longer than an hour.

For any of you following the NPR fiasco, this is a pretty good article. And strangely, I mostly agree with the resigned employee and the writer of this article. I also think NPR has been a kickass organization historically, but their past middle-of-the-road reporting has diminished.

Used to listen regularly, but it's become nearly impossible the last couple of years, and not just because of the slant. The nature of their features and the quality has just eroded tremendously. Kinda sad actually.

I used to listen to Public Radio quite a bit. Radiolab, This American Life, Mountain Stage, Morning Edition, Fresh Air, etc... There's zero doubt they leaned left but they were entertaining. Not anymore. It's insufferable. I dare anyone to go on a long drive & listen to NPR for longer than an hour.

I used to listen to Click and Clack, the Tap-it Brothers on Car Talk.

One of their sponsors was the law firm of Duey, Cheetham and Howe.

Reactions: SamSwimmer
I didn't even no what NPR was until I read the thread. Read the headline and thought rifle was transitioning. No Pussy Required is what I was thinking. Just got out of the hot tub again after my normal 9 o'clock soaking. No weiner again, but pouring a little warm water on it to see if that will somehow bring it back. Doubt it works though, so thinking I need to go back to reading penthouse forums like I did in the 70s before retreating to the bathroom.
The Penthouse forums existed in the 70s?

Direct propaganda arm of the left and large state. Thrown in the big media social media and you had constant manipulation.

Reactions: Jartard
Used to listen to NPR in the 90,s but eventually they lost all objectivity imo and turned into a left wing propagandist

Reactions: Jartard and 30CAT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT