ADVERTISEMENT

NYC on Budget

MarshallManiac

Platinum Buffalo
Jan 20, 2006
All...this board has had some good discussion in the past on travel. I loved reading big_country's post about his trip out West. I have an uncle that has a dental practice in Missoula, MT so over the years I've been able to visit several times. With all of the traveling I've done somehow I have never spent any time in New York CIty. I've visited family around Boston and Philly but never really experienced NYC. My wife and I have been talking about visiting without kids in December as my in-laws are going to be spending a few weeks with us and will watch them for us. I know that NYC on a budget during December may be impossible but I wanted to see if anybody here would have recommendations for hotels, Airbnbs, etc...We would like to do all of the touristy stuff and don't mind spending some time on the subway to get around. Appreciate any feedback you may have.

All...this board has had some good discussion in the past on travel. I loved reading big_country's post about his trip out West. I have an uncle that has a dental practice in Missoula, MT so over the years I've been able to visit several times. With all of the traveling I've done somehow I have never spent any time in New York CIty. I've visited family around Boston and Philly but never really experienced NYC. My wife and I have been talking about visiting without kids in December as my in-laws are going to be spending a few weeks with us and will watch them for us. I know that NYC on a budget during December may be impossible but I wanted to see if anybody here would have recommendations for hotels, Airbnbs, etc...We would like to do all of the touristy stuff and don't mind spending some time on the subway to get around. Appreciate any feedback you may have.
Really depends on where you want to stay in the city. For least amount of money, stay across the river in New Jersey and take the subway into Penn Station. Hotels are cheaper there. If you want to stay in the city, my wife and I have stayed at the Belvedere Hotel many times. Nice hotel off the Broadway area but close to Times Square and Hell's kitchen. NYC is easily walkable from that location - over to Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Macy's light display. It's cool being there during the holidays but people are everywhere. If you don't like crowds, that may be tough. We were at Rockefeller Center a few years ago in Mid-December at 11:00 at night and the place was packed with people - like mid-day. I enjoy NYC with all it has to offer. Enjoy!

Reactions: MarshallManiac
Just read that in 2025 hotels.in NY with more than 50 rooms will no longer be be allowed to provide the small bottles of shampoo and conditioner.

We can all sleep better at night knowing this.

Reactions: GeauxHerd
Really depends on where you want to stay in the city. For least amount of money, stay across the river in New Jersey and take the subway into Penn Station. Hotels are cheaper there. If you want to stay in the city, my wife and I have stayed at the Belvedere Hotel many times. Nice hotel off the Broadway area but close to Times Square and Hell's kitchen. NYC is easily walkable from that location - over to Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Macy's light display. It's cool being there during the holidays but people are everywhere. If you don't like crowds, that may be tough. We were at Rockefeller Center a few years ago in Mid-December at 11:00 at night and the place was packed with people - like mid-day. I enjoy NYC with all it has to offer. Enjoy!

Thanks...we were thinking staying in Jersey City or Long Island Beach. Going in December we're expecting ridiculous crowds but that's ok for a visit. We'll probably only be there a few days. I'll check out the Belvedere Hotel. Would love to find a place in Manhattan but I'll be traveling a couple of times this Fall including the week before this trip so I'd like to cut corners where I can without giving up too much of the experience.

Thanks...we were thinking staying in Jersey City or Long Island Beach. Going in December we're expecting ridiculous crowds but that's ok for a visit. We'll probably only be there a few days. I'll check out the Belvedere Hotel. Would love to find a place in Manhattan but I'll be traveling a couple of times this Fall including the week before this trip so I'd like to cut corners where I can without giving up too much of the experience.
If you are in and around Times Square - a few places to eat - Juniors Deli, Tony Denapolis, and Virgil's BBQ. All are good and reasonably priced. The Belvedere is a great location. Good location but not a lot of noise - at least that's been our experience.

I haven't been to NYC since before the pandemic. I used to work up there and travelled there monthly. I always enjoyed the energy of the place and enjoyed my stays there. The natives there say it's changed a lot the last 3-4 years with many areas of the city not changing for the better. Like LA and Chicago, many folks gtfo.

I haven't been to NYC since before the pandemic. I used to work up there and travelled there monthly. I always enjoyed the energy of the place and enjoyed my stays there. The natives there say it's changed a lot the last 3-4 years with many areas of the city not changing for the better. Like LA and Chicago, many folks gtfo.
I was in LA two weeks ago, man, that place has gone down hill fast. Dirty and garbage all over. South of there is still nice but LA proper, not so much. Still say the worst large city I have ever been to is St Louis, that place is nasty and damn depressing. Sad.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
I was in LA two weeks ago, man, that place has gone down hill fast. Dirty and garbage all over. South of there is still nice but LA proper, not so much. Still say the worst large city I have ever been to is St Louis, that place is nasty and damn depressing. Sad.
What parts of LA were you in to see "dirty and garbage all over"? Skid Row area?

travelled
You aren't in England. It's "traveled."

The natives there say it's changed a lot the last 3-4 years with many areas of the city not changing for the better. Like LA and Chicago, many folks gtfo.
Yet over that exact same timeframe - the last four years - the Los Angeles metro population has increased every single year. This may be a surprise to morons who only get their information from Fox News, but since COVID, city populations saw drastic decreases in population for numerous reasons: 1) spread of Covid is easier with more people 2) remote working opportunities required fewer people in the city 3) cost-of-living increases pushed for people to move 4) all of those meaning benefits of city-living weren't as high (stores, public services, entertainment, etc.) , further pushing people away, yet the Los Angeles metro population has grown for four straight years.

You can find natives anywhere who will have a different opinion. That doesn't mean it's the majority, reality, nor reasonable.

If you want to stay in Manhattan without paying $500/night in December at an average hotel, and if you want to minimize your cost, then do the following:

1) Sign up for the Marriott Boundless Bonvoy credit card through Chase
2) Spend $3000 on it within the first three months (so an average of $1000/month for three months)
3) You'll receive 150k Bonvoy points (to be used as three nights up to 50k points each)
4) By using that card for spend, you will also earn many thousands more points by December
5) The three free night vouchers you receive (up to 50k points per night) allow you to add 15k points more per night, so you can redeem them for nights at hotels that are up to 65k points per night.
6) There are many decent Marriott hotels in Manhattan that are around 35k points per night in December, as well as many in Times Square that are under 65k points per night in December.

There is a $95 annual fee for the card, but you can cancel that right after your trip. So basically, assuming you spend $3k on the card within the first three nights, you will get a free three night stay in Manhattan (and most likely Times Square) for $95. Plus, that $95 annual fee gives you a free Marriott night each year up to 35k points, which is worth more than the annual fee.

Your wife can sign up for the same and get an additional three nights (assuming she spends $1000 per month for the first three months), but you can't combine the free night vouchers (meaning you can't combine your voucher up to 50k points with hers up to 50k points for a total of 100k points for the night).

What parts of LA were you in to see "dirty and garbage all over"? Skid Row area?

Yet over that exact same timeframe - the last four years - the Los Angeles metro population has increased every single year. This may be a surprise to morons who only get their information from Fox News, but since COVID, city populations saw drastic decreases in population for numerous reasons: 1) spread of Covid is easier with more people 2) remote working opportunities required fewer people in the city 3) cost-of-living increases pushed for people to move 4) all of those meaning benefits of city-living weren't as high (stores, public services, entertainment, etc.) , further pushing people away, yet the Los Angeles metro population has grown for four straight years.

You can find natives anywhere who will have a different opinion. That doesn't mean it's the majority, reality, nor reasonable.

If you want to stay in Manhattan without paying $500/night in December at an average hotel, and if you want to minimize your cost, then do the following:

2) Spend $3000 on it within the first three months (so an average of $1000/month for three months)
3) You'll receive 150k Bonvoy points (to be used as three nights up to 50k points each)
4) By using that card for spend, you will also earn many thousands more points by December
5) The three free night vouchers you receive (up to 50k points per night) allow you to add 15k points more per night, so you can redeem them for nights at hotels that are up to 65k points per night.
6) There are many decent Marriott hotels in Manhattan that are around 35k points per night in December, as well as many in Times Square that are under 65k points per night in December.

There is a $95 annual fee for the card, but you can cancel that right after your trip. So basically, assuming you spend $3k on the card within the first three nights, you will get a free three night stay in Manhattan (and most likely Times Square) for $95. Plus, that $95 annual fee gives you a free Marriott night each year up to 35k points, which is worth more than the annual fee.

Your wife can sign up for the same and get an additional three nights (assuming she spends $1000 per month for the first three months), but you can't combine the free night vouchers (meaning you can't combine your voucher up to 50k points with hers up to 50k points for a total of 100k points for the night).
Anaheim, up to Burbank. Just really different from the last time I was there 3 years ago. Obviously Newport Beach, Laguna are nice, Huntington Beach is cool area -jmo. Went down to La Jolla and SD for a day. Really like SD. Although everyone you speak with down there laments on the growing immigrant and homeless problem they have.

4) all of those meaning benefits of city-living weren't as high (stores, public services, entertainment, etc.) ,
I think you were trying to say meaningful.
None of which changes what I said. Carry on.

None of which changes what I said. Carry on.
Sure it does. Your comment that "many folks GTFO" was intended to say that people were fleeing the area due to negative aspects, but you failed to acknowledge (or know) that the area has actually had an increase in population each of the last four years.

I think you were trying to say meaningful.
You probably learned that word while you "travelled" [sic].

Sure it does. Your comment that "many folks GTFO" was intended to say that people were fleeing the area due to negative aspects, but you failed to acknowledge (or know) that the area has actually had an increase in population each of the last four years.
Many people did GTFO. If I intended to communicate what you said and/or perceived, I would have just said "EVERYONE" GTFO.

It was pretty obvious for anyone without a head injury I was using your words from earlier today. It's why I used the italics. Always fun mocking you.
Yeah, that's called plagiarizing, moron. It was pretty obvious to me, too, which is why I mentioned it, moron.

Easy! Become a citizen of Mexico or Canada (the closest countries), sneak across our borders, get arrested and you can stay at luxury hotels in California or New York. FREE! Also free food, travel, cell phone, some spending cash and free health care, in case something unfortunate happens. When you're done, go back to the country you came from and come in legally. But a warning... That lap of luxury you get for being here illegally may be tough to give up.

It's a win, win regardless!

@MarshallManiac If you go the Chase (I know, you do not like that name) Marriott card route, you will also want to refer your wife (or have her refer you if she gets the card first) because that will give you an extra 40k points. I signed up for the card a few years ago, and my wife and I are considering signing her up under me to give us the extra 40k in points plus the credit card bonus to help cover our honeymoon (5th anniversary) next summer. The credit card signup offers seems to go back and forth between points that do not expire and award nights that expire after one year.

If you or your relatives are planning on flying, the United card is free for the first year (similar to many of the other airlines), however, United now allows you to pool your miles with other people.

@MarshallManiac If you go the Chase (I know, you do not like that name) Marriott card route, you will also want to refer your wife (or have her refer you if she gets the card first) because that will give you an extra 40k points. I signed up for the card a few years ago, and my wife and I are considering signing her up under me to give us the extra 40k in points plus the credit card bonus to help cover our honeymoon (5th anniversary) next summer. The credit card signup offers seems to go back and forth between points that do not expire and award nights that expire after one year.

If you or your relatives are planning on flying, the United card is free for the first year (similar to many of the other airlines), however, United now allows you to pool your miles with other people.

Thanks to you and @riflearm2 for the recommendation. It's a good idea. I typically pay cash for everything but in the past couple of years we have used miles and points to pay for a couple of trips to Mexico and the Caribbean. I'm just always hesitant to open another credit card. We are definitely going to think about it though. This would be an easy way to get a free hotel for a few nights.

Thanks to you and @riflearm2 for the recommendation. It's a good idea. I typically pay cash for everything but in the past couple of years we have used miles and points to pay for a couple of trips to Mexico and the Caribbean. I'm just always hesitant to open another credit card. We are definitely going to think about it though. This would be an easy way to get a free hotel for a few nights.
If you do it, make sure you have Rifle refer you so he can get those extra points. If he does not want them or is maxed out (you can earn up to 200k in referral points per year), I am happy to refer you so I can use them with my wife.

American does the same with their Advantage MasterCard program. Had 4 family members fly to Cali for a trip to Disney - no cost .

What's the best card for points, the Chase Marriott? We're starting to travel a lot more than in the past. Went to roatan back at the beginning of the year, Ireland in May, leaving for St Petersburg Saturday, have 10 nights booked in Aruba after Christmas. We probably put somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000 combined on credit cards a month, a Chase Sapphire and a Citibank card, plus I probably put another $3,000 a month on an American Express that I have for my side business.

I've never really tracked points too much or mess with them as I likely should have. I would always just cash them in which was probably not the right thing to do. I was able to secure the airline tickets to Ireland with points.

American does the same with their Advantage MasterCard program. Had 4 family members fly to Cali for a trip to Disney - no cost .
Yep. The American Aviator card used to be free for the first year, now it is $99 from "day one", now the AAdvantage card is free for the first year. My wife and I each got the Aviator card when it was free for the first year and cancelled mine because there is no real advantage to paying $99 x2. We kept one card for the "priority" boarding, even though it is group 5, that is just enough to pretty much ensure we are able to find space in the overhead bins for our luggage.

What's the best card for points, the Chase Marriott? We're starting to travel a lot more than in the past. Went to roatan back at the beginning of the year, Ireland in May, leaving for St Petersburg Saturday, have 10 nights booked in Aruba after Christmas. We probably put somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000 combined on credit cards a month, a Chase Sapphire and a Citibank card, plus I probably put another $3,000 a month on an American Express that I have for my side business.

I've never really tracked points too much or mess with them as I likely should have. I would always just cash them in which was probably not the right thing to do. I was able to secure the airline tickets to Ireland with points.

Using points for reimbursement of charges from the credit card is the lowest redemption you can get. Transferring those points to partners (airlines, hotels, car rentals, etc.) will get you 3x - 4x more money usage. I don't think I've ever done that, as I already have enough travel points to last me a long time. Over the last five years, I think I have sold a website over 2 million Marriott Bonvoy points for $13.6k (just don't get caught, as they will delete your Marriott account and take your points). But it's still the best use of points.

The best card for points will depend on what brand you want to use them for. Branded cards (Chase has four alone for just Marriott, AmEx Delta Platinum, Citi American Air) will give you the most points for just those brands. So it depends on what brand you want to eventually redeem.

Chase's three Marriott cards are here: https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/marriott-bonvoy
They also have two AmEx cards: https://www.marriott.com/credit-cards.mi

They have a really good Chase offer right now for a card with no annual fee: spend $2000 on it within three months of opening it, and you'll earn 60k points + 1 free night up to 50k points + the points you will earn from the spend. You'll probably end up with around 120k points after the $2000 spend. That means two nights at an above average hotel (think a hotel that would be $200-$350/night) without any annual fee. Hell, that makes sense for me to do with no annual fee and then never use the card again.

If you want as high as you can get in terms of status (meaning free room upgrades, late checkout, free breakfasts, welcome gifts, etc.), then you'll have to pay. This card has an annual fee of $650, but it's well worth it if you travel. For that $650, you get automatic:
1) $25/month for restaurant charges = $300 annual benefit
2) Free night award annually up to 85k points (think Ritz Carlton, St. Regis) = about $700 hotel room
3) Free TSA precheck or Global Entry membership. Having TSA precheck is a huge time saver at many airports. Not having to take off your shoes, belt, remove liquids, etc. is worth it in itself. If you ever travel internationally, Global Entry is huge when you fly back into the U.S. At many airports, getting through customs could take well over an hour. With Global Entry, you scan your retinas and don't have to answer any questions or wait in line. After flying 8+ hours from Asia/Europe/etc., it is nice to walk right out to your car instead of waiting another hour in lines to get questioned by customs.
4) Priority Pass allowing access to those lounges and their food/drinks at many airports as well as free food at many sit-down restaurants in airports.
5) Platinum Bonvoy status, which is solid. Marriott's priority levels are silver/gold/platinum/titanium/ambassador. Platinum gets you some additional benefits.

So out of that $650 annual fee, you can deduct $300 since I am guessing you'd normally spend $25/month at restaurants.
That puts the cost at $350.
You get an annual free hotel night up to 85k points, which is worth about a $700/night hotel. At this point, if you use it on a high-end hotel, you're well over the annual cost.
You get the TSA precheck/Global Entry fee covered.
You get the Priority Pass with lounges/restaurants (I believe the restaurant benefit is being eliminated for this card, possibly).
You get Platinum status with Marriott.
A bunch of other benefits.
Plus a 95k welcome bonus which is worth about $800 in room costs.

Even if you don't travel much, the high-end hotel stay each year + the $300 in restaurant credits makes it worth it. Even though the TSA Precheck/Global Entry/Platinum status would be duplicate things other cards already give me or that I am already higher in (see below), looking at this card may be smart for even me. The $300 annual restaurant credit is a no-brainer. Now, I have to find another $350 in value each year, and the 85k hotel point stay does more than that not to mention the 95k welcome bonus.

I have two high-end credit cards (AmEx Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve). I like them both for different reasons, and as much as I'd like to cut one, the benefits they offer make it worthwhile for me to pay for both.

AmEx Platinum: $695 annual fee; $200/year on airline incidentals (buy United bank dollars or book with Southwest then cancel the flight and get credit); $13/month in Walmart reimbursement for their grocery delivery; $15/month in Uber/Uber Eats credits per month; $100 per year in Saks credit. Those are all things I would pay for regardless, and those cover the annual fee. Then, they have a monthly streaming entertainment credit of $20 for Disney+, ESPN+, NY Times, Hulu, Wall Street Journal (I would buy ESPN+ regardless). They pay for my $189 annual Clear membership so I get to jump ahead of even TSA precheck. They have a $200 hotel annual credit which I've never used. Plus the points accumulated. AmEx lounges at airports.

The fee is high ($695), but I would already pay for more than that amount with the stuff they reimburse. Each year at renewal, I call to ask for any retention offers, and they always have something for me: Spend $2000 over the next two months, and your annual fee will drop to $350, etc.

Even if the fee isn't reduced, it would still be worth it financially for me.

Chase Sapphire: $550 annual credit; $300/year on most types of travel expenses (airlines, hotels, toll roads, Uber, buses, trains, parking lots, etc.; TSA Precheck/Global Entry; lounge access.

I should probably end up getting those two other cards.

@riflearm2

I hate paying that fee, but I had to upgrade to the delta Amex reserve card to get lounge access for my family. Too many long layovers and delays and having that lounge has been a life saver for us. I was having trouble with lounge access with the platinum so had to change recently.

I don’t know much about these cards and perks though. I try to keep it simple. Put everything on my Amex , but more and more places aren’t taking Amex, so I’m thinking about maybe a ?American Airlines master card? But other people say the chase visa is better.

We like small boutique hotels or food hotels, so I don’t think I’d get much out of marriot card though maybe I need to look into it.

@riflearm2

I hate paying that fee, but I had to upgrade to the delta Amex reserve card to get lounge access for my family. Too many long layovers and delays and having that lounge has been a life saver for us. I was having trouble with lounge access with the platinum so had to change recently.

I don’t know much about these cards and perks though. I try to keep it simple. Put everything on my Amex , but more and more places aren’t taking Amex, so I’m thinking about maybe a ?American Airlines master card? But other people say the chase visa is better.

We like small boutique hotels or food hotels, so I don’t think I’d get much out of marriot card though maybe I need to look into it.
I am in a handful of Facebook pages for certain cards, but it's not worth my time to care that much about it other than the major things. Those people use one credit card for restaurant spend, one for fuel, another one for groceries, yet another for travel, etc. They maximize points that way, but it's not worth my time.

Show me the benefits of the card, and if I would spend more purchasing those things on my own (and I would actually purchase them), then I will get the card if it is cheaper through them (and even more the bonuses, annual perks, etc.).

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
I am in a handful of Facebook pages for certain cards, but it's not worth my time to care that much about it other than the major things. Those people use one credit card for restaurant spend, one for fuel, another one for groceries, yet another for travel, etc. They maximize points that way, but it's not worth my time.

Show me the benefits of the card, and if I would spend more purchasing those things on my own (and I would actually purchase them), then I will get the card if it is cheaper through them (and even more the bonuses, annual perks, etc.).
Not worth your time? You are writing novels about readily available information on CC rewards programs. When this thread runs its course, please share your tips on clipping coupons.

• Haha
Reactions: 30CAT
When this thread runs its course, please share your tips on clipping coupons.
I would, but remember, I don't do my own shopping, because ya' know, rich. Speaking of which, my dinner is supposed to be here within the next eight minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT