ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State's missed field goal

Ok they lost to Michigan in a one game scenario. It’s your exact argument. Who would you put in? Tennessee? They lost to South Carolina. Alabama? Lost to tenn and lsu. Clemson? Nope they were trash
Alabama lost to two ranked teams ranked in the top 10 by a combond 4 points on last second or last minute situations on the road

They have as valid an argument . The SEC is a better conference as well.

Losing by 3tds is not even a close game..at home to boot.

Alabama lost to two ranked teams ranked in the top 10 by a combond 4 points on last second or last minute situations on the road

They have as valid an argument . The SEC is a better conference as well.

Losing by 3tds is not even a close game..at home to boot.
At the end I of the day a two regular season loss team won’t get in over a 1 regular season loss team. Especially if the one loss team was destroying people all season long and the two loss team was less than convincing all season long

It’s because the Ohio state fan base is full of pretentious assholes. No one outside of the state gives two craps about them
I don't hate Ohio State at all. I would gladly root for Ohio State over Michigan or Notre Dame or even Penn State. My post is not about hate for OSU.

I remember when I first moved to NC they didn't show the Ohio State vs Michigan gam on network tv.. You had to go watch it at a sports bar or ppv.

At the end I of the day a two regular season loss team won’t get in over a 1 regular season loss team. Especially if the one loss team was destroying people all season long and the two loss team was less than convincing all season long
That will be solved in a few years

I don't hate Ohio State at all. I would gladly root for Ohio State over Michigan or Notre Dame or even Penn State. My post is not about hate for OSU.

I remember when I first moved to NC they didn't show the Ohio State vs Michigan gam on network tv.. You had to go watch it at a sports bar or ppv.
I grew up in north Carolina and the Michigan Ohio state game was always on. Usually abc

He was saying Ohio state didn’t belong in the playoff. He made the sec out to be better than the nfc east. I pointed out how asinine that assumption was. They had their struggles was my point. Was the big 10 top heavy? Yeah but so was the sec.

While I don't subscribe to the thought that MU beat ND, which beat Clemson, therefore MU should beat Clemson theory, I do think the following is interesting.

Michigan beat OSU and Purdue back to back by 22 and 21 points, respectively.

LSU beat Alabama by 1 in overtime.

Kansas State beat TCU by 3 in overtime.

LSU beat Purdue 63-7.

Alabama beat Kansas State 45-20.

I will repeat - OSU was fortunate to make the playoff, especially considering they were beaten by 22 at home in their last game and how Alabama and LSU handled their bowl opponents.

We beat Clemson in the season opener at their field years ago. Been there, done that. Our philosophy is once we beat you, we are finished with you.

Well, we should have beaten OSU and their Mandinka warriors at linebackers had someone in the MU administration or athletic department been able to count to 12...☹️😡

Reactions: greengeezer
But the big 10 sucks right? The SEC is the end all be all right? Being the big 10 champion is nothing. Being the SEC champ is everything right?
Nope. Never said that. However in recent memory it seems the SEC has been the strongest conference. Since 2015 the SEC has had 3 different national champions, winning 5 titles including 4 out of the last 5.

During this time period the Big 10 is the only conference that has had a team shut-out (edited to add CFP playoffs), twice in fact. Sorry but again the SEC has traditionally been stronger as a rule.

Michigan and OSU were both excellent teams this year, however I'm not convinced they were both better than a 2 loss Alabama team due to strength of schedules.

Last edited:
But the big 10 sucks right? The SEC is the end all be all right? Being the big 10 champion is nothing. Being the SEC champ is everything right?
Ohio State, a great program. Nobody takes that away from them

But, Ohio State is 5-13-1 all time against the SEC.

They are 2-12 in bowl games against the SEC.

The SEC has been the strongest conference for a good 10 years or so.

Further looking at it, the college football power is in the South in general over the last 20 years plus. Michigan hasn't won a title since 1997, a split title with Nebraska. Ohio State has faired better. Outside of the South, USC and Ohio State are historically the best. I look for Southern Cal to do ver well shortly.

2021GeorgiaCFP
2020AlabamaCFP
2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS
2007LSUBCS
2006FloridaBCS
2005TexasBCS
2004Southern CaliforniaBCS
2003LSU, Southern CaliforniaBCS, AP, FWAA
2002Ohio StateBCS
2001Miami (Fla.)BCS
2000OklahomaBCS

Reactions: KyMUfan
I think the Purdue vs LSU game shows the descrpency. Not a knock on OSU or Michigan. But, Purdue won a division in the Big 10 and were just power drived by a pretty good, not great LSU, 63 to 7. I am not sure there are any teams in the SEC LSU would beat 63-7.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I think the Purdue vs LSU game shows the descrpency. Not a knock on OSU or Michigan. But, Purdue won a division in the Big 10 and were just power drived by a pretty good, not great LSU, 63 to 7. I am not sure there are any teams in the SEC LSU would beat 63-7.
I think you're failing to see something here. First of all, since the B1G sent two teams to the playoffs, all of their remaining teams had to play up on their bowl allotment schedule by two teams. Instead of Purdue playing against LSU, it would have probably been Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State. Same is true throughout the B1G scheduling of bowl games. Despite all of that, they still went 5-4 in bowl games.

As for Purdue, they didn't stand a chance, since their offense took a major hit with their quarterback, star receiver, and starting tight end all sat out the game, as well as multiple other players. Purdue would have gotten beat up even if those players played. Purdue lost five games, you know.

This will all be remedied after one more year of a four team playoff. Once 12 teams are in the field, chances are strong that at least 8 of them will be amongst the best 12 teams in the country.

In today's environment, you really can't take away much from conference records in bowl games, due to all the players opting out. Alabama players chose to play, and Kansas State was the recipient of that ass whopping due to that. Was Alabama one of the best four teams? Maybe, but being in the best conference in all of football sometimes hurts you when you lose a couple games, despite losing them both on the final play. Would Alabama have been favored if they played TCU, Michigan, or Ohio State, had they gotten in? Probably, but college football is a complete mess right now, and will only get worse as years pass.

I think you're failing to see something here. First of all, since the B1G sent two teams to the playoffs, all of their remaining teams had to play up on their bowl allotment schedule by two teams. Instead of Purdue playing against LSU, it would have probably been Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State. Same is true throughout the B1G scheduling of bowl games. Despite all of that, they still went 5-4 in bowl games.

As for Purdue, they didn't stand a chance, since their offense took a major hit with their quarterback, star receiver, and starting tight end all sat out the game, as well as multiple other players. Purdue would have gotten beat up even if those players played. Purdue lost five games, you know.

This will all be remedied after one more year of a four team playoff. Once 12 teams are in the field, chances are strong that at least 8 of them will be amongst the best 12 teams in the country.

In today's environment, you really can't take away much from conference records in bowl games, due to all the players opting out. Alabama players chose to play, and Kansas State was the recipient of that ass whopping due to that. Was Alabama one of the best four teams? Maybe, but being in the best conference in all of football sometimes hurts you when you lose a couple games, despite losing them both on the final play. Would Alabama have been favored if they played TCU, Michigan, or Ohio State, had they gotten in? Probably, but college football is a complete mess right now, and will only get worse as years pass.
very good post

I think you're failing to see something here. First of all, since the B1G sent two teams to the playoffs, all of their remaining teams had to play up on their bowl allotment schedule by two teams.

Good post but hasn't that also been the case in the past when the SEC also had more than one team in the playoffs?

Absolutely but with 12 teams won't there need to be a round of byes?

I've always thought the 5 P5 winners plus 3 at-large would be a good mix. There will always be winners and losers for the at-large bids but 3 should be plenty to be more equitable than the current situation.

Ohio State, a great program. Nobody takes that away from them

But, Ohio State is 5-13-1 all time against the SEC.

Ohio State is 22-15-3 all time versus the SEC.

Well, that is because your site is counting the wins against Missouri and Texas AM which Missouri counts for 10 of those win and Texas AM counts for 4. I referenced the site below.

If we add Texas and Oklahoma(soon to join) the Buckeys are 3-4 against them.

Ok, we can use that. Against the historical SEC it was this.

So, it looks like the Buckeys struggle when they get outside the Big 10 and face strong competition. Missouri, not great program. Texas AM? Not in the elite upper tier.

the problem is outside of Michigan and Ohio State, the Big 10 is weaker. Penn State would be next and Wisconsin. But, Wisconsin is not an upper tier elite.

You get to line up against Northwester, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota. The SEC is a slugfest most weeks.

NCAA Football : Conference Series Records : Ohio State vs. SEC

Ohio State vs. SEC overall record
ALL GAMES: (5-13-1) 28.9% : AVERAGE SCORE: 20.6 - - 26.9
BOWL GAMES: (2-12) 14.3% : AVERAGE SCORE: 20.9 - - 31.7

Last edited:
Well, that is because your site is counting the wins against Missouri and Texas AM which Missouri counts for 10 of those win and Texas AM counts for 4. I referenced the site below.

If we add Texas and Oklahoma(soon to join) the Buckeys are 3-4 against them.

Ok, we can use that. Against the historical SEC it was this.

So, it looks like the Buckeys struggle when they get outside the Big 10 and face strong competition. Missouri, not great program. Texas AM? Not in the elite upper tier.

the problem is outside of Michigan and Ohio State, the Big 10 is weaker. Penn State would be next and Wisconsin. But, Wisconsin is not an upper tier elite.

You get to line up against Northwester, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota. The SEC is a slugfest most weeks.

NCAA Football : Conference Series Records : Ohio State vs. SEC

Ohio State vs. SEC overall record
ALL GAMES: (5-13-1) 28.9% : AVERAGE SCORE: 20.6 - - 26.9
BOWL GAMES: (2-12) 14.3% : AVERAGE SCORE: 20.9 - - 31.7
It makes you look good when you schedule Vanderbilt 10 times. Kudos to Michigan over the years for having the smarts to put Vandy on the schedule.

Reactions: i am herdman
It makes you look good when you schedule Vanderbilt 10 times. Kudos to Michigan over the years for having the smarts to put Vandy on the schedule.
Hahaaaa. Michigan and Ohio State are super elite programs. Everything goes in cycles.

"Cycles" has nothing to do with it.

Demographics is destiny. The Rust Belt is emptying and the Sun Belt (no pun intended) is filling up rapidly. The Big 10 is never going to be what it once was, because the Midwest is never going to be what it once was.

I'll bet the pouting was tremendous around here when Ohio state beat Alabama in 2014 and went on to win the national championship when everybody said they didn't deserve to be in the playoffs at all.

These playoff games will also be impacted when opening round games are played on the campus of the higher seed. Have to imagine Alabama having a tough time at it, playing in Ann Arbor in mid-December. As it stands, 90% of these games are played in warm climates, and/or domes. Let's see how LSU does up at South Bend in 2024 in 20 degrees with snow falling. Those FCS games out in North and South Dakota were a pleasure to watch.

Reactions: Marshall Jeff
So the latest excuse is "its the weather".

Right.

The SEC dominates because the best players want to test themselves against the best players. You do that in the SEC, the greatest conference.

Just ran a quick glance of Ohio State's roster.

They have about 30 players from either below the Mason Dixon line and from CA or AZ.

They play in cold weather. Ain't no Rutgers, Indiana, Norrthwestern and a couple of other medicores at best in the SEC.

So the latest excuse is "its the weather".

Right.

The SEC dominates because the best players want to test themselves against the best players. You do that in the SEC, the greatest conference.
That wasn't an excuse; rather, it's the reality of what will take place, once the expansion to 12 teams begins in 2024. It will, however, be an excuse for the tropical climate teams, once they have to venture up North to participate in a playoff game.

You ever watched NFL playoff games played at Lambeau Field? Imagine the Miami Hurricanes heading up to play the Hawkeyes in mid to late December. There's a reason why the SEC/ACC/Big 12 don't schedule games against Northern opponents, unless of course, it's one of those early season neutral field sites, again, located within the deep South.

That wasn't an excuse; rather, it's the reality of what will take place, once the expansion to 12 teams begins in 2024. It will, however, be an excuse for the tropical climate teams, once they have to venture up North to participate in a playoff game.

You ever watched NFL playoff games played at Lambeau Field? Imagine the Miami Hurricanes heading up to play the Hawkeyes in mid to late December. There's a reason why the SEC/ACC/Big 12 don't schedule games against Northern opponents, unless of course, it's one of those early season neutral field sites, again, located within the deep South.
Sounds like an excuse. The actual reality is that every P5 game could be played in a climate controlled dome in the middle of Kansas before empty seats. It would make no difference. The SEC would dominate just as it does now. Because the players are simply that much better. Most of the best play in the SEC, and those not good enough play in the lesser conferences.

Bowl games are hard to judge now. So many teams have players that don't play.

Tell me how you can lose by 23 on your home field and make the playoff? Blow out game

The Big 10 is not as strong top to bottom. The Big 10 simply is not good enough to merit two teams in a 4 team playoff.
I think Penn State is pretty good as well

Ohio State didn't deserve to be in the playoff because they got hammercocked on their home field the last game of the season. It wasn't like they lost on a last second field goal. They were hammercocked.
TCU lost to a Kstate team. Crap happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT