ADVERTISEMENT

Open week for Marshall but some interesting ....

TheGreenhouseEffect

Silver Buffalo
Aug 17, 2012
SilverCometTrail
Season openers, probably the biggest week of openers in college football.

My picks to watch.

FIU v Indiana at FIU. Interesting.B10 trying to go into S Fla and recruit but ....could be a tougher road to ho than the Hoosiers think. Good opener to prove CUSA swagger for FIU.

RIce v. WKY . Getting their CUSA on!

UGA vs UNC UNC has more infractions than Russian Olympic team, but their p5 so don't matter, full pardon given by he of equestrian teeth. UGA has 1st year HC Kirby....if he doesn't win this opener lots of pissed off UGA fans saying firing Richt was a mistake. Lots of intrigue on this one.

Bama v USC. Ahhhhh watch it but will probably be a blowout.

And my final game of intrigue....

BYU v Arizona at 9:30 pm EST A little Rich Rod v the Stormin Mormons. An early season not so P5 mainstream yet a fun one to watch. As a huge PAC 12 fan I end my Saturday's on Sunday morning at 2 pm. :)

Anyone else have some games they think should be fun to watch ?

I'm gonna go with my alma mater, and say FSU v. Ole Miss on Labor Day. High expectations for us but we're breaking in a new QB. The Rebels also have a lofty ranking so I think it will be an intriguing match-up.

Not that big a game, but if you want to see how BE In Sports (which will do many CUSA games) coverage is going to look like, it has its first ever game at 8 saturday, NM State @ UTEP.

Two future opponents play the first game of the year, 7 thursday. Charlotte @ Loserville. Considering UNCC probably would finish 4th in the Mountain East and Loserville's coach is an a**hole, 120-0 seems possible.

Rice - WKU, 8 thursday, is worth watching.

Oklahoma will expose THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! 's fair haired boys, 12 saturday, before a 80% pro away team crowd in Houston.

UCLA losing to TAMU will be entertaining, as will Wisconsin being trounced by LSU, both 3:30 saturday.

Southern Miss @ UK will probably be a good game, if USM is what people say they are. If UK loses, Stoops is done. 7:30 saturday.

Alabama beats USC by whatever it cares to, but it really is not their year. LSU is better, as is Tennessee and probably Florida. 8 saturday.

Notre Dame - Texas will be the start of the puffed up ND contingent, until they play somebody good. 7:30 saturday.

Florida State - Ole Miss in Orlando is not going to be much of a game, but in the Monday night football slot, but the FULL HOUSE with tickets currently being scalped for upwards of $80 for endzones and upper decks (in the old Citrus Bowl slum) will be yet another lesson in the difference between Florida and Florida State, which are SIGNIFICANT IN the entire state of Florida, and South, Central (playing at home on Satuday, plenty of good seats still available, might as well call it for free), International, and Atlantic, which are all IN Florida.

Season openers, probably the biggest week of openers in college football.

My picks to watch.

FIU v Indiana at FIU. Interesting.B10 trying to go into S Fla and recruit but ....could be a tougher road to ho than the Hoosiers think. Good opener to prove CUSA swagger for FIU.

RIce v. WKY . Getting their CUSA on!

UGA vs UNC UNC has more infractions than Russian Olympic team, but their p5 so don't matter, full pardon given by he of equestrian teeth. UGA has 1st year HC Kirby....if he doesn't win this opener lots of pissed off UGA fans saying firing Richt was a mistake. Lots of intrigue on this one.

Bama v USC. Ahhhhh watch it but will probably be a blowout.

And my final game of intrigue....

BYU v Arizona at 9:30 pm EST A little Rich Rod v the Stormin Mormons. An early season not so P5 mainstream yet a fun one to watch. As a huge PAC 12 fan I end my Saturday's on Sunday morning at 2 pm. :)

Anyone else have some games they think should be fun to watch ?

I'm going to get a full dose of Pac-12 games this year.

I already bought tickets to Cal vs. Oregon, USC vs Arizona State, and UCLA vs. Stanford

I will be going to the San Diego State vs. New Hampshire game

I'm going to get a full dose of Pac-12 games this year.

I already bought tickets to Cal vs. Oregon, USC vs Arizona State, and UCLA vs. Stanford

I will be going to the San Diego State vs. New Hampshire game
You live out that way?

Not that big a game, but if you want to see how BE In Sports (which will do many CUSA games) coverage is going to look like, it has its first ever game at 8 saturday, NM State @ UTEP.

Two future opponents play the first game of the year, 7 thursday. Charlotte @ Loserville. Considering UNCC probably would finish 4th in the Mountain East and Loserville's coach is an a**hole, 120-0 seems possible.

Rice - WKU, 8 thursday, is worth watching.

Oklahoma will expose THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! 's fair haired boys, 12 saturday, before a 80% pro away team crowd in Houston.

UCLA losing to TAMU will be entertaining, as will Wisconsin being trounced by LSU, both 3:30 saturday.

Southern Miss @ UK will probably be a good game, if USM is what people say they are. If UK loses, Stoops is done. 7:30 saturday.

Alabama beats USC by whatever it cares to, but it really is not their year. LSU is better, as is Tennessee and probably Florida. 8 saturday.

Notre Dame - Texas will be the start of the puffed up ND contingent, until they play somebody good. 7:30 saturday.

Florida State - Ole Miss in Orlando is not going to be much of a game, but in the Monday night football slot, but the FULL HOUSE with tickets currently being scalped for upwards of $80 for endzones and upper decks (in the old Citrus Bowl slum) will be yet another lesson in the difference between Florida and Florida State, which are SIGNIFICANT IN the entire state of Florida, and South, Central (playing at home on Satuday, plenty of good seats still available, might as well call it for free), International, and Atlantic, which are all IN Florida.
I think Rice-WKY will tell us a bunch about WKY, hope they get their tails kicked. Southern Miss, depending on if Hopson has changed anything dramatic about the offense, could throttle UK. I work with a bunch of UK fans, they are worried about that game.

I think Rice-WKY will tell us a bunch about WKY, hope they get their tails kicked. Southern Miss, depending on if Hopson has changed anything dramatic about the offense, could throttle UK. I work with a bunch of UK fans, they are worried about that game.

Just wonder how much UK is paying the Golden Eagles to play in Lexington. Obviously, this game was booked a few seasons ago, perhaps when Southern Miss was going winless under the disaster known as head coach Ellis Johnson. Can't possibly believe UK would schedule any G5 team that is anything but mediocre, given their obsession with winning 6 games and becoming bowl eligible. Thus their "master" plan is to schedule 1 or 2 lesser G5 teams and an instate FCS team, Eastern, Murray State, etc. Imagine their AD and a few others in the athletic department at UK crapped their pants big time when they found out that Southern Miss is favorite in the CUSA west, and in some quarters, the conference favorite overall. Surprised that UK didn't try to buy this game out and reschedule another FCS cupcake. Especially since they have avoided the subject of playing the Herd like a plague for years- - -Hamrick says the AD in Lexington doesn't even want to take his phone calls. Hope the guys from Hattiesburg bring their "A+" game BIG TIME Saturday night and bring out the "boo birds" in large numbers, early and often, in Commonwealth Stadium!!!! Go Southern Miss!!!!!!!

Reactions: beefcake0520
I'm gonna go with my alma mater, and say FSU v. Ole Miss on Labor Day. High expectations for us but we're breaking in a new QB. The Rebels also have a lofty ranking so I think it will be an intriguing match-up.

This game has center stage with no other games programmed against it, should be a slugfest to boot. The ratings should be huge. Still Ole Miss has had more off season distractions than most...again we have a player making statements that illustrate NCAA rules non compliance yet nothing happens....Georgia Southern however...

I'd say FSU in a route.

Hamrick says the AD in Lexington doesn't even want to take his phone calls. Hope the guys from Hattiesburg bring their "A+" game BIG TIME Saturday night and bring out the "boo birds" in large numbers, early and often, in Commonwealth Stadium!!!! Go Southern Miss!!!!!!!

Yeah there's another AD almost just as close that doesn't want Hamricks calls too. I'd love to see S Miss drop an L on them. Why we don't have a series with UK like UL is plain old fear and cowering. Big bad SEC , lol.

A final game I find intriguing is Army V Temple. Army had been on the mat so long it's sad, yet you see flashes of improvement in them. I'd love to see them have a great year and challenge Navy in the November for a great game.

Reactions: Elkview
Just wonder how much UK is paying the Golden Eagles to play in Lexington. Obviously, this game was booked a few seasons ago, perhaps when Southern Miss was going winless under the disaster known as head coach Ellis Johnson. Can't possibly believe UK would schedule any G5 team that is anything but mediocre, given their obsession with winning 6 games and becoming bowl eligible. Thus their "master" plan is to schedule 1 or 2 lesser G5 teams and an instate FCS team, Eastern, Murray State, etc. Imagine their AD and a few others in the athletic department at UK crapped their pants big time when they found out that Southern Miss is favorite in the CUSA west, and in some quarters, the conference favorite overall. Surprised that UK didn't try to buy this game out and reschedule another FCS cupcake. Especially since they have avoided the subject of playing the Herd like a plague for years- - -Hamrick says the AD in Lexington doesn't even want to take his phone calls. Hope the guys from Hattiesburg bring their "A+" game BIG TIME Saturday night and bring out the "boo birds" in large numbers, early and often, in Commonwealth Stadium!!!! Go Southern Miss!!!!!!!
It was a hurry up replacement game for UAB. UK had UAB scheduled, USM was their replacement. Of course had UAB kept trucking along, that coach of theirs woulda put the fear of God into UK as well......

Reactions: Herd Fever
This game has center stage with no other games programmed against it, should be a slugfest to boot. The ratings should be huge. Still Ole Miss has had more off season distractions than most...again we have a player making statements that illustrate NCAA rules non compliance yet nothing happens....Georgia Southern however...

I'd say FSU in a route.
What did I miss about GSU?

What is in in for UK to play MU in football? As much as Thuggie during his rare moments of mere drunkenness (rather than alcoholic stupor) wants to call the productive part of WV "that little piece near Ashland", this is not Kentucky. UK has to play 8 games in the SEC and Loserville (which apparently has an exemption from following NCAA rules). That leaves 3 games, and UK needs to get bowl eligiable.

Reactions: beefcake0520
On point Sam. UK has no incentive to play us, especially if we won't do a buy game with them, and rightfully so we shouldn't. If they ever (not happening) become a force, and can afford us, then maybe, but right now, definitely not.

Reactions: The Real SamC
What is in in for UK to play MU in football? As much as Thuggie during his rare moments of mere drunkenness (rather than alcoholic stupor) wants to call the productive part of WV "that little piece near Ashland", this is not Kentucky. UK has to play 8 games in the SEC and Loserville (which apparently has an exemption from following NCAA rules). That leaves 3 games, and UK needs to get bowl eligiable.
Exactly. UK would be crazy to schedule us home and home. As was stated above, they need to try and get bowl eligible

must have slipped by me, didn't know they got into a little trouble. You would think that as far as legalities are concerned a school would fight the NCAA on equal and fair treatment using the legal system. I dunno though, maybe they cant.

You would think that as far as legalities are concerned a school would fight the NCAA on equal and fair treatment using the legal system. I dunno though, maybe they cant.

If the King and Queen are the only authority , and they have the "legal army" to crush you, it's best to keep ones head down. Example: Ex errbilly AD openly slandered Marshall as an officer of the NCAA yet nothing was said.

It will take an "outside legal authority" FBI or Justice Dept to investigate the NCAA and how it justifes penalizing Ga Sourhen but allows P5s to run with almost no penalties.

To me allowing Penn State to continue to operate was all I needed to see.

I would take a 2-1 with UK if they would even do that - not sure they would and know many on the Herd side would object. But with the short travel maybe one could be worked out.

pretty much for us if it was workable, regular series with wvu and uk are probably the best (although not likely I know and I know the reasons why) and then well, like UL and Pitt and UC are very good ones for us.

Watch Vandy vs South Carolina tonight and you'll get a look at the Freshman QB Marshall will be facing in 2 years. Brandon McIlwain and/or Jake Bentley......Both have been impressive in pre-season. I'm guessing it'll be McIlwain. He's a Russell Wilson type QB.

Watch Vandy vs South Carolina tonight and you'll get a look at the Freshman QB Marshall will be facing in 2 years. Brandon McIlwain and/or Jake Bentley......Both have been impressive in pre-season. I'm guessing it'll be McIlwain. He's a Russell Wilson type QB.

Yeah, and in two years they will, Lord willing, be facing an older, bigger and stronger, hopefully, and more mature and experienced Chase Litton!!!!

Reactions: connsinfonia
Two SEC teams barely escape season openers. Yet P5s want to end scheduling G5s. Apply State , Marshall , Boise et al are going to end college football by beating P5s and ESPN can't sell their advertising for P5s if they aren't shiny new undefeated teams going into conference play.

College Football will follow the NASCAR dive soon. Empty stadiums, no TV audience , all killed by ESPN trying to align CF for their own needs, sponsored by the NCAA taking money all the way, killing great G5 programs that allow the plot to thicken.

Watch the BCS this year, the number of empty seats in the Big 4 bowls will double compared to last year, and conference championships will be virtually empty if not half full. It's the beginning of the end of the greatest sport in the USA.

Two SEC teams barely escape season openers. Yet P5s want to end scheduling G5s. Apply State , Marshall , Boise et al are going to end college football by beating P5s and ESPN can't sell their advertising for P5s if they aren't shiny new undefeated teams going into conference play.

College Football will follow the NASCAR dive soon. Empty stadiums, no TV audience , all killed by ESPN trying to align CF for their own needs, sponsored by the NCAA taking money all the way, killing great G5 programs that allow the plot to thicken.

Watch the BCS this year, the number of empty seats in the Big 4 bowls will double compared to last year, and conference championships will be virtually empty if not half full. It's the beginning of the end of the greatest sport in the USA.
I think you just may be right.

Well Army hung an L on Temple at Temple. For all those thinking the AAC is a must, think again.

Happy for the Black Knights! I kept watching them last season , they were always on the cusp. I'd like to see us invite them back to CUSA if we lose someone to the AAC- espn conference.

They are on the move. Temple should have easily beat them, better athletes all around. But Army executed and wanted it more. I know 2 West Point grads, total class acts in every way. If the AAC needs a sub and MTSU or WKY leaves CUSA, I'd love to see us go after Army.

Houston looks like a P5 playing Oklahoma. Not sure what their depth is like, but their 1's are legit on both sides of the ball...

Well I guess if you asked yourself why P5s don't want to play good G5s , if you asked Arkansas, Kentucky, Miss State, Tennessee and Okleeehoma you will get your answer. We could lose to them!!!!!! LOL.

Aleeeeebama made USC look bad. That was an embarrassment on National TV.

Exactly. UK would be crazy to schedule us home and home. As was stated above, they need to try and get bowl eligible

Herdmeister, I guess that makes UK, or at least their AD, beyond "crazy" because I think they have a "home and home" deal with Southern Miss, meaning they are scheduled for a return game in Hattiesburg sometime down the road!!

Well Army hung an L on Temple at Temple. For all those thinking the AAC is a must, think again.

Happy for the Black Knights! I kept watching them last season , they were always on the cusp. I'd like to see us invite them back to CUSA if we lose someone to the AAC- espn conference.

Exactly.

People, led by the nose by ESPN, get all excited about one good year, or even one good game from one of the ESPN/AAC teams. Last year Temple had "changed" and was "in a different place", and Memphis, yes fanless Memphis, should be in the SEC because it won ONE GAME over an SEC middleweight.

This year Houston will be the fair-haired lad. And Houston - Loserville will be puffed up as the ESPN/AAC "game of the century".

But it not sustainable. It never is. The ESPN/AAC teams just fall back to what they are.

Because fans build a program. And the ESPN/AAC has none.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT