ADVERTISEMENT

Pickleball

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
If you play pickleball and you're younger than 60 years old, you're a moron.

My neighborhood just converted two tennis courts to pickleball courts a few months ago. It's bullshit. There are multi-million homes fairly close to those courts, and those people have spent significant money making their backyards into relaxing entertainment areas. Now, they have to listen to the annoying clicking of that ridiculous game. It's for people who are too lazy to take part in an actual sport that requires athleticism: tennis.

I know some big names have invested in the pro teams, it was on ESPN recently, etc., but that thing isn't going to last. It will die down within 24 months.

i thought it was a fad but the boomers love it. Boomers have the money and it will stick around I think.

It’s fun to play and has a very low barrier to entry. The kids who walked the mile or did knee push ups in school are now enjoying being competitive in pickle ball.

I stayed at a fairly new Relais and Chateaux resort a few years back and they had built only pickle ball courts, not tennis courts. At their other places they usually just have a pickle ball net they can put in the courts.

I don’t see the ESPN stuff sticking around …but the general recreational interest is here to stay I think.

I had never heard of pickle ball until several years ago when some friends had a court built at their home. I thought it was a strange addition, but then I remembered they also have a home elevator so I guess the court will fit right in.

Reactions: herdfan06
I have a good friend that's a pickle ball player down in Cabell County. He used to coach at Spring Valley as well as I think was recently the principal. His team finished 2nd this weekend and he looked almost dead in the pictures that were posted. He's 64, so in his prime in pickle ball.

@TwolfHerdfan should know him.

geauxherd is probably a good pickle player, so my money would be on him in a pickle ball contest.

It’s not just the boomers playing it. I’m seeing 30s+ playing it here. I prefer playing racquetball for a fast paced match. I guess the attraction is it gets people outside and moving. When it comes to activity/movement I believe the growth is only going to get bigger and more popular because anyone can play it.

My kids and I ply it in our drive. It’s nothing more than paddle ball at the beach

I have a good friend that's a pickle ball player down in Cabell County. He used to coach at Spring Valley as well as I think was recently the principal. His team finished 2nd this weekend and he looked almost dead in the pictures that were posted. He's 64, so in his prime in pickle ball.

geauxherd is probably a good pickle player, so my money would be on him in a pickle ball contest.
Not sure who that would be. Could be a couple of guys I know.

Tennis GIF by Pickleby

The only people I see playing it where i live are the retired folks. Looks like fun though for those who can no longer play tennis.

His partner is a buddy of mine, they finished second in the 60-64 age group. Ive never playedf it or watched it played, but it sure has gained a lot of popularity.

Alex, what are sports that white guys can still compete in.

Related to this, one of the advantages in growing up in a rural place is you can be pretty average at a sport and still be a contributing member of a school sports team.

In the "city" now it's crazy but to have any shot at making a high school basketball, baseball, etc team, you've got to be damn good and damn near a year round player even at a young age. I see it now with my son. In WV he'd be a decent mid to low level contributor on a rural-ish WV school team. no chance really he could make his high school team where I am now.

This guy, complete with the official “Major League Pickleball” sweatshirt, hat, and backpack for his paddles, is on my flight. I hope he sits next to me, as he is just begging for somebody to talk about his professional athletic career.

If there is a god, he will allow this guy to sit next to me. I’m going to find a bunch of things for him to autograph.

Reactions: thunderscope
This guy, complete with the official “Major League Pickleball” sweatshirt, hat, and backpack for his paddles, is on my flight. I hope he sits next to me, as he is just begging for somebody to talk about his professional athletic career.

If there is a god, he will allow this guy to sit next to me. I’m going to find a bunch of things for him to autograph.

Are you going to show him your gold bracelets?

Are you going to show him your gold bracelets?
Stop asking questions with your posts. We’ve been over this.

I don’t wear gold (at least yellow gold). All of my bracelets are diamond and either platinum, silver, or rhodium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT