ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions

I'm hoping this past weekend was a wake up call, especially for the defense. If we win against FAU this next weekend then I think we go 10-2. If we get steamed rolled we could conceivably mail it in and go 6 - 6.

7-5 at best and 6-6 at the worst. After what I saw last night. The coaches need to get their heads out of their butts and have these kids ready to play. And with our fearless leader legg running the offense, I see one more win. Wku can put score us, FAU will do the same, utsa is in Texas, maybe we beat USM.

if FAU puts50 points on us and the next weekend WKU puts say 50 more points and then both games are a L then DOC AND LEGG need to go sorry. if we cant beat wku AND now FAU then I think it is time to go after a new head coach and OC. just my thoughts.

I predicted the blunder game was going to be against MTSU...I was off on that by 1 week.
We always have one game where we're like, "?!?!"
I believe FIU was that and will be only that.

The schedule doesn't get any easier however it's winnable. We control our destiny in the East.

I think FAU will be tough but we'll win that one. UTSA is still a bit unpredictable for me. WKU we should beat at home. Southern Miss is also a win for us.

We'll win out, finish 10-2, and host the C-USA championship game.

Reactions: HerdFan1971
if FAU puts50 points on us and the next weekend WKU puts say 50 more points and then both games are a L then DOC AND LEGG need to go sorry. if we cant beat wku AND now FAU then I think it is time to go after a new head coach and OC. just my thoughts.
I do not disagree, in reality USM and us should be ruling this conference considering the competition we faced before the last realignment, neither one obviously is doing that. So instead of our programs lifting the new comers up, we are actually dropping down to the their level.....we have a game like yesterday every year, even in 2014. Can't have more than one and win this league.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
We split the last 4 games 2-2. Finish 8-4. Win the bowl and go 9-4. Hoping!
That said, we easily lose all 4.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I do not disagree, in reality USM and us should be ruling this conference considering the competition we faced before the last realignment, neither one obviously is doing that. So instead of our programs lifting the new comers up, we are actually dropping down to the their level.....we have a game like yesterday every year, even in 2014. Can't have more than one and win this league.

Don't disagree with these two posts/comments. Thing that is worrisome is that last year we had that "one game", Akron, and it ended up ruining the entire 2016 season!

Doc and staff can't let the FIU fiasco ruin the rest of this season. Just hope that they have the will power and ability to take steps to see that it doesn't, starting with the game Friday at FAU.

Last week, UAB in its first season back playing FBS football, lost in the last seconds in its game against a bad Charlotte team. This week, the Blazers went down to Southern Miss, NEVER an easy place to play, and won going away in the 4th Quarter. COACHING DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!! Can Doc and company make a difference this week at FAU???

Don't disagree with these two posts/comments. Thing that is worrisome is that last year we had that "one game", Akron, and it ended up ruining the entire 2016 season!

Doc and staff can't let the FIU fiasco ruin the rest of this season. Just hope that they have the will power and ability to take steps to see that it doesn't, starting with the game Friday at FAU.

Last week, UAB in its first season back playing FBS football, lost in the last seconds in its game against a bad Charlotte team. This week, the Blazers went down to Southern Miss, NEVER an easy place to play, and won going away in the 4th Quarter. COACHING DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!! Can Doc and company make a difference this week at FAU???

Well, Doc made changes after the NC State game, the only game we lost to that point and ripped 5 straight wins.

Sad thing is, we could make good adjustments and lose by 1 point and the fans would be ready to kill Doc.

Someone on another post looked at our record in the Doc years versus teams with winning records and it is pretty bad. Good coaching will usually beat better talent. It seems whenever we face a well established coach like Solich, Bowden, Butch Davis, and now Kiffen we falter even with comparable or better talent. That's what worries me about this game. Davis and Kiffen, although now in CUSA and unsuccessful in the NFL, the fact remains they were good enough to be NFL coaches. Solich was canned by Nebraska after a 9-3 season and the program has never been the same. These guys know how to get the best of their talent and know how to adjust their schemes to the skill set of their players. Another post yesterday mentioned that ever since we had "Rock" Legg has been enamored with running up the middle with much smaller backs and a lot less talenetd O-line. I couldn't agree more. It seems by the time we adjust offensively it's too late. We should've gone up tempo sooner as it was obvious we had a clear advnatage over FIU when we did. Third and one and we send Tyler, our smallest back up the middle from 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage with Andreson on the bench. Just bad decisions. If you're going to run that play than put the personnel in there with best chance of success.

Someone on another post looked at our record in the Doc years versus teams with winning records and it is pretty bad. Good coaching will usually beat better talent. It seems whenever we face a well established coach like Solich, Bowden, Butch Davis, and now Kiffen we falter even with comparable or better talent. That's what worries me about this game. Davis and Kiffen, although now in CUSA and unsuccessful in the NFL, the fact remains they were good enough to be NFL coaches. Solich was canned by Nebraska after a 9-3 season and the program has never been the same. These guys know how to get the best of their talent and know how to adjust their schemes to the skill set of their players. Another post yesterday mentioned that ever since we had "Rock" Legg has been enamored with running up the middle with much smaller backs and a lot less talenetd O-line. I couldn't agree more. It seems by the time we adjust offensively it's too late. We should've gone up tempo sooner as it was obvious we had a clear advnatage over FIU when we did. Third and one and we send Tyler, our smallest back up the middle from 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage with Andreson on the bench. Just bad decisions. If you're going to run that play than put the personnel in there with best chance of success.

The lengths some go to "prove" their points.

I really doubt anyone outside of MU goes and looks at the records of other teams to compare their head coach.

You mentioned Butch Davis, but forget he's been caught cheating at every single place he has been.
You forgot to mention Lane Kiffin has absolutely zero ties to anyone he coaches at and will leave the ship sinking and burning for greener pastures.
Bowden is not a good coach. He beat us badly no doubt, but 1 game and our QB being injured doesn't make him a great coach. His name only is recognizable and once Clemson canned him, they got better.
You also forgot to mention Solich's 3 blown MAC title games...and 0-3 record in the title games.

ALL OF WHICH MU FANS WOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT.

Problem is, they are good fits for their programs. FIU and FAU are basically places with little to no expectations...so what both have done is percieved as amazing coaching. Akron is just a craphole. Ohio has never been much of anything and in the shadow of ohio state, an 8 win average season is just fine for them.
MU has higher expectations as we should, but do you really think fans would tolerate an 0-3 record in a conference title game? At least 1 of which was essentially squandered away?
You think MU would like a head coach who sees us as a stepping stone and nothing else and will bolt on us the second he can? Also having a pretty bad loss early in the season.

As for the playcalling? I don't dispute Legg can be a real screw up at times, however, we did make adjustments on both sides of the ball.
Defense held them to 13 pts in the second as opposed to 28 in the first.
Offense outscored them 23 pts in the second half as opposed to 7 in the first.

We ran out of time. It happens. I hate the slow starts but we also didn't lay down and quit either.

Reactions: The Real SamC
You make valid points, but if that poster is correct than the fact remains we have a consistent losing record against teams with winning records or coaches with a better CV, for lack of a better term. By the way, Litton played 95% of the game vs Akron. That game was as bad a team loss as this FIU game was. All phases were not prepared. I think the fans would rather see us in the championship game year in and year out win or lose than be in the middle of the pack year in and year out with the occasional run at the title. This predates me and correct me if i'm wrong but I've heard it said that Donnan set the table for Pruett's success and didn't Pruett leave Snyder with a team that had NCAA violations that led to scholarship reductions? So if you think it's a bad Idea to develop a strong roster and winning attitude and then leave, I can understand that, but just as with Donnan, it can make it easier for the next coach to recruit and maintain or build on that success. I agree we should want a coach who follows the rules but you have to admit when a team is successful, no one seems to care. That would seem to have occurred here as Pruett was winding down. Fans love him because of all the success during his tenure and the scholarship reductions are rarely mentioned. Can't have it both ways. FYI, defense held FIU to 6 points in the second half, other 7 came form a pick 6. But the argument is, the team was not prepared at the outset and dug itself a whole it couldn't recover from. FIU's game plan was better than ours and they executed it. For the record I don't like Bowden, Davis, or Kiffen but I happen to think Solich is an excellent coach, and in the games I've watched, he seems to have his team well prepared for the opposition win or lose.

You make valid points, but if that poster is correct than the fact remains we have a consistent losing record against teams with winning records or coaches with a better CV, for lack of a better term. By the way, Litton played 95% of the game vs Akron. That game was as bad a team loss as this FIU game was. All phases were not prepared. I think the fans would rather see us in the championship game year in and year out win or lose than be in the middle of the pack year in and year out with the occasional run at the title. This predates me and correct me if i'm wrong but I've heard it said that Donnan set the table for Pruett's success and didn't Pruett leave Snyder with a team that had NCAA violations that led to scholarship reductions? So if you think it's a bad Idea to develop a strong roster and winning attitude and then leave, I can understand that, but just as with Donnan, it can make it easier for the next coach to recruit and maintain or build on that success. I agree we should want a coach who follows the rules but you have to admit when a team is successful, no one seems to care. That would seem to have occurred here as Pruett was winding down. Fans love him because of all the success during his tenure and the scholarship reductions are rarely mentioned. Can't have it both ways. FYI, defense held FIU to 6 points in the second half, other 7 came form a pick 6. But the argument is, the team was not prepared at the outset and dug itself a whole it couldn't recover from. FIU's game plan was better than ours and they executed it. For the record I don't like Bowden, Davis, or Kiffen but I happen to think Solich is an excellent coach, and in the games I've watched, he seems to have his team well prepared for the opposition win or lose.

Depends on who you ask about the Pruett/Snyder situation...I do recall he inherited a bad situation however that was somewhat unique because of the NCAA violations.
Personally, I don't like how he left but its whatever now.

The problem with us is that we haven't estsblished ourselves enough to want to keep anyone who takes over. We also take risks on people who are good people just turn out to not be head coaches (Synder). I use what Southern Miss endured since Fedora left...multiple losing seasons, a lost home game with Nebraska (to afford the buyout), and a coach who won then bolted.
Its a risk for us and weighs much more on win/loss because of our fan expectations but also because of who we are and our budget. Tennessee can afford a coach for 6 figures, endure years of losing, buyout the contract, and hire another 6 figure coach.
We could only be so lucky to have that.

It took a missed FG to beat a Clemson team that finished 6-6...

But nobody talks about that.

3 of those losses were to the only 3 regular season unbeaten teams in Div I-A that season. Their game against #1 Florida State also required a field goal for Clemson to finally get beaten. Clemson had a brutal schedule that year and was one of the most underrated teams in 1999.

The other 3 losses for Clemson? #13 Georgia Tech (also held within a field goal) #15 Mississippi State (lost by 10 points) and NC State who finished 6-6 (arguably Clemson's worst loss that year).

But anyone who wants to devalue how badass our 1999 squad was never wants to talk about the details.

That 1999 Clemson squad would stomp a mudhole into Doc and William Legg's collective asses if we had to play them this weekend.

It took a missed FG to beat a Clemson team that finished 6-6...

But nobody talks about that.

Eventual national champ Florida State beat that same Clemson team by 3 as well.

What's your point? Think our current team could hang with Chad Pennington and that team? That's laughable.

Eventual national champ Florida State beat that same Clemson team by 3 as well.

What's your point? Think our current team could hang with Chad Pennington and that team? That's laughable.

Not saying that either...

But yeah, let's do this 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon...

2015 Marshall beat a 2-10 Purdue who lost to #2 Michigan State...by 3...yes, what amounts to a field goal to win it.

The 1999 team gave up 130 some points all year while scoring nearly 400, won a conference championship, beat a top 25 BYU, oh, and finished 13-0 and ranked 10th. Come up with the similar accomplishment by this team using however much Kevin Bacon you need.

Reactions: THUNDERGround
3 of those losses were to the only 3 regular season unbeaten teams in Div I-A that season. Their game against #1 Florida State also required a field goal for Clemson to finally get beaten. Clemson had a brutal schedule that year and was one of the most underrated teams in 1999.

The other 3 losses for Clemson? #13 Georgia Tech (also held within a field goal) #15 Mississippi State (lost by 10 points) and NC State who finished 6-6 (arguably Clemson's worst loss that year).

But anyone who wants to devalue how badass our 1999 squad was never wants to talk about the details.

That 1999 Clemson squad would stomp a mudhole into Doc and William Legg's collective asses if we had to play them this weekend.

Well this post just dropped the mic! Dead on mlblack16

Our 1999 team had a very high football IQ, great in game adjustments and a heart of a warrior! Here is what you could take to the bank that year if you were an opponent. If the opponent/coach was:

1. Bad/Bad = Game was done by the end of the 1st Q; you were going to lose by 50+
2. Bad/Avg = Game was over by half; 35-49 point loss
3. Avg/Bad = Game was over by half; 35-49 point loss
4. AVG/AVG = Game was never closer than 2 scores after the first quarter; 21-35 point loss
5. Avg/Good = Game was somewhat close; outcome was not in doubt; 7-14 point loss
6. Good/Good = Game was tight; but you were gonna lose because you couldn't match the heart and determination of the Herd.

We blazed the path of CFB. Our coaches were leading the changes that occurred in CFB. We embraced our size and promoted our heart (because no one else had a bigger one). We played to WIN. We didn't play not to lose. We didn't panic in tough situations. We dictated situations. We were creative leaders and could make adjustments almost instantly.

Today..........well.............we just lost as 17 point home favorites to FIU.............that would have never happened in the 90s!

The 1999 team gave up 130 some points all year while scoring nearly 400, won a conference championship, beat a top 25 BYU, oh, and finished 13-0 and ranked 10th. Come up with the similar accomplishment by this team using however much Kevin Bacon you need.

Doesn't matter because the team went unbeaten...seems that nobody cares when we actually wi- wait...they do, they just don't like the coaching staff.

We'll see what this team does Friday. They win? Great! They lose, well...shit...they lose.

Tennessee can afford a coach for 6 figures, endure years of losing, buyout the contract, and hire another 6 figure coach.
We could only be so lucky to have that.

Every single FBS school and just about every single FCS school has a “6 figure coach.”

I believe you mean 7 or 8 figure. 6 figure refers to anyone making between $100,000-$999,999.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Our 1999 team had a very high football IQ, great in game adjustments and a heart of a warrior! Here is what you could take to the bank that year if you were an opponent. If the opponent/coach was:

1. Bad/Bad = Game was done by the end of the 1st Q; you were going to lose by 50+
2. Bad/Avg = Game was over by half; 35-49 point loss
3. Avg/Bad = Game was over by half; 35-49 point loss
4. AVG/AVG = Game was never closer than 2 scores after the first quarter; 21-35 point loss
5. Avg/Good = Game was somewhat close; outcome was not in doubt; 7-14 point loss
6. Good/Good = Game was tight; but you were gonna lose because you couldn't match the heart and determination of the Herd.

We blazed the path of CFB. Our coaches were leading the changes that occurred in CFB. We embraced our size and promoted our heart (because no one else had a bigger one). We played to WIN. We didn't play not to lose. We didn't panic in tough situations. We dictated situations. We were creative leaders and could make adjustments almost instantly.

Today..........well.............we just lost as 17 point home favorites to FIU.............that would have never happened in the 90s!

Before I start, that 1999 team was good. Everyone talks about 1997 but 1999 was much better. It's probably the best defense we've ever had.

The logic of today, you should apply to back then...
Overall W/L of 1999 opponents
BGSU 5-6
Temple 2-9
Miami 7-4
Toledo 6-5
Buffalo 0-11
NIU 5-6
KSU 2-9
WMU 7-5
OU 5-6

Oh yeah, Clemson 6-6
I feel I need to explain the fact that I left out BYU because it was a post season bowl game. However, if added in, then it's BYU at 8-4.
5 teams with 6 wins or more...

Marshall cruised that season with only Western Michigan in the title game as a real close game.
This string of opponents that year is beginning to look much the same as what we're currently facing.
Of course, I can't really compare because the season isn't over yet.

If you're gonna compare then and now, remain consistent with the formula...because if Marshall of 2017 went unbeaten against teams with these W/L records, you guys would be losing your collective minds and crying about Alma Mater betrayal or whatever.

Last edited:
Every single FBS school and just about every single FCS school has a “6 figure coach.”

I believe you mean 7 or 8 figure. 6 figure refers to anyone making between $100,000-$999,999.

My bad. Yes, 7 figure salary. I stupidly thought he would have a high 6 figures and be given basically half a million more in incentives and bonuses, like breathing and wearing orange.

Before I start, that 1999 team was good. Everyone talks about 1997 but 1999 was much better. It's probably the best defense we've ever had.

The logic of today, you should apply to back then...
Overall W/L of 1999 opponents
BGSU 5-6
Temple 2-9
Miami 7-4
Toledo 6-5
Buffalo 0-11
NIU 5-6
KSU 2-9
WMU 7-5
OU 5-6

Oh yeah, Clemson 6-6
I feel I need to explain the fact that I left out BYU because it was a post season bowl game. However, if added in, then it's BYU at 8-4.
5 teams with 6 wins or more...

Marshall cruised that season with only Western Michigan in the title game as a real close game.
This string of opponents that year is beginning to look much the same as what we're currently facing.
Of course, I can't really compare because the season isn't over yet.

If you're gonna compare then and now, remain consistent with the formula...because if Marshall of 2017 went unbeaten against teams with these W/L records, you guys would be losing your collective minds and crying about Alma Mater betrayal or whatever.

All4, you know that of the 6 teams the Herd has beaten thus far, they have 7, 6, 6, 6, 5 and 5 losses going into this week's games? A few more of those 5 teams with less than 7 losses will lose another game or two in the remaining month of the regular season. In fact, its a distinct possibility than NONE of the 6 vanquished foes will end up with a better than .500 record, i.e. no winning teams.

So, unless Doc's team can ramp it up significantly against the next 4 opponents, ALL of whom currently with winning records, the Herd could go the entire 2017 season without a win over a foe with a winning record!!!

All4, you know that of the 6 teams the Herd has beaten thus far, they have 7, 6, 6, 6, 5 and 5 losses going into this week's games? A few more of those 5 teams with less than 7 losses will lose another game or two in the remaining month of the regular season. In fact, its a distinct possibility than NONE of the 6 vanquished foes will end up with a better than .500 record, i.e. no winning teams.

So, unless Doc's team can ramp it up significantly against the next 4 opponents, ALL of whom currently with winning records, the Herd could go the entire 2017 season without a win over a foe with a winning record!!!

Hence why I didn't say this year's season because I don't know how that'll go...I can only go on what has already happened, which is why I used 2014, which was one of our better years as of late.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT