ADVERTISEMENT

Proud of coach Dan

sistersville

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 17, 2007
Boy he gives great interviews. Saw him on ESPN and am mighty proud of him. We got us a coach.

Boy he gives great interviews. Saw him on ESPN and am mighty proud of him. We got us a coach.

Told you Dan was funny with some humorous, witty quips...."a real Golden Retriever...not a Bulldog." wink, wink.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte....BTW, I take Dan's $$$$ on the golf course!

I am the first to admit that I was skeptical when the hire was made.

That said, I am an adult and I can admit when I was wrong.

Coach Dantoni seems to be a great fit. He is finding "diamonds in the rough" in kids that can come in and join the system of playing fast (many from WV). The team is fun to watch and just as, if not more, talented than the past several coaching regimes. The results don't lie as the team's record has improved every year that Dan has been the coach.

I'm hoping that Coach Dantoni has an NCAA tournament bonus built into his contract for him and his assistants. If not, Hammrick may want to consider such a good will gesture.

I am the first to admit that I was skeptical when the hire was made.

That said, I am an adult and I can admit when I was wrong.

Coach Dantoni seems to be a great fit. He is finding "diamonds in the rough" in kids that can come in and join the system of playing fast (many from WV). The team is fun to watch and just as, if not more, talented than the past several coaching regimes. The results don't lie as the team's record has improved every year that Dan has been the coach.

I'm hoping that Coach Dantoni has an NCAA tournament bonus built into his contract for him and his assistants. If not, Hammrick may want to consider such a good will gesture.

Dan does.......written into his contract by his Attorney Brother/Agent (Mark) when he accepted the job. He gets a nice bonu$ by getting The HERD into the NCAA Tournament....and more $$$ if The HERD beats the Shockers. I am told he & family are "going to Disney World." he he he

HerdZilla22

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
How many coaches have made it to the BIG DANCE with in the first four years of becoming a college head coach? Or is Coach Dan the first one?

Dan does.......written into his contract by his Attorney Brother/Agent (Mark) when he accepted the job. He gets a nice bonu$ by getting The HERD into the NCAA Tournament....and more $$$ if The HERD beats the Shockers. I am told he & family are "going to Disney World." he he he

HerdZilla22
From the report I read he gets an added $40 for getting into the NCAA tournament. I wouldn't be surprised that he shares some of that with his staff.

Told you guys about Danny all along. As much as I love his younger brother, he's probably a better teacher than Mike. I sat behind the bench every game at the tournament in Birmingham last year and even a knowledgeable floor usher commented on what a great coach he is.

Id addition to the 304/Appalachian boys, I'm also for keeping the European pipeline open and growing it to higher levels. The word is getting out on how great we treat these kids; across the pond, that enhances our reputation. We have no greater ambassadors than Peneva and Milan.

Just think, Herrion passed on Justin Johnson!

Told you guys about Danny all along. As much as I love his younger brother, he's probably a better teacher than Mike. I sat behind the bench every game at the tournament in Birmingham last year and even a knowledgeable floor usher commented on what a great coach he is.

Id addition to the 304/Appalachian boys, I'm also for keeping the European pipeline open and growing it to higher levels. The word is getting out on how great we treat these kids; across the pond, that enhances our reputation. We have no greater ambassadors than Peneva and Milan.

Just think, Herrion passed on Justin Johnson!
Passed on Johnson? Wow, he passed on a ton of WV kids as well

Reactions: Elkview
Wonderkind and basketball genius, Brad Stevens did it in year one at Butler... With no previous head coaching experience at any level.

Shaka Smart did it in year two at VCU.

Four years is certainly not an exclusive list.

Wonderkind and basketball genius, Brad Stevens did it in year one at Butler... With no previous head coaching experience at any level.

Shaka Smart did it in year two at VCU.

Four years is certainly not an exclusive list.

Right you are, I could make a long list with very little research. At most places if you don’t produce in four years the long knives are out.

Here is another close to home, Rick Huckabay.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Heck... if Doc Holliday gets a bonus for taking us to the "Somewhere in Florida Bowl", then Danny should get quadruple that for taking us to an NCAA Tournament. Last I checked there are WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY more bowl bids being handed out than there are tickets to the tourney! (I know... it was in New Mexico this year, but only because they couldnt find another stadium in Florida to host a bowl game).
I just don’t understand.....and never will the hate on Doc. It’s basketball season and the first NCCA appereance in 30+ years. But our fans base has to find some reason to throw a swipe at the football program. Why? Every post season event Doc has won. No knock on Dan but it will take years for basketball to even come close to the success of the football program which defines this university. CUSA is a tougher football conference than basketball. Why? Because 60% of the schools in CUSA don’t give a damn about. Dans the darling now and I hope the team wins the national championship. I’ll admit I’m not much of basketball fan but I want the university to be successful in all endevers. Just rememebr It’s damn near impossible to maintain both programs at a high level. The money to do both isn’t there and never will be. I don’t agree with Sam C much but he has been spot on with his take on this issue. Go Herd and win the first game in the NCAA!

Reactions: The Real SamC
Congrats to coach D!!! You may think you can play for a spot in the tourney for one year and it be an accident, but reaching that game a second year in a row speaks volumes on how well coach has done.

I still can’t believe they won! I remember well when Huckaby took the herd there. It’s very exciting. And I think coach’s playing style may just get him an upset or two in the tourney!!

I just don’t understand.....and never will the hate on Doc. It’s basketball season and the first NCCA appereance in 30+ years. But our fans base has to find some reason to throw a swipe at the football program. Why? Every post season event Doc has won. No knock on Dan but it will take years for basketball to even come close to the success of the football program which defines this university. CUSA is a tougher football conference than basketball. Why? Because 60% of the schools in CUSA don’t give a damn about. Dans the darling now and I hope the team wins the national championship. I’ll admit I’m not much of basketball fan but I want the university to be successful in all endevers. Just rememebr It’s damn near impossible to maintain both programs at a high level. The money to do both isn’t there and never will be. I don’t agree with Sam C much but he has been spot on with his take on this issue. Go Herd and win the first game in the NCAA!

Marshall athletics is on a roll right now. Im involved in the baseball community in WV and the story no one is talking about is Herd Baseball at 10-4 early. Baseball at Marshall is in a difficult spot because of the stadium situation.

Football, Im not going to hijack a thread that is about hoops playing at the highest level, but after the 2016 football season Doc deserves any heat that he has taken for recruiting way to many social and academic problem players. Now he did rebound well in 2017 but 2018 has lots of changes that Doc has to overcome.

Hoops, Dan is recruiting local kids that are good on and off the court. I think the point being made is basketball is playing at the highest level in the country (no NIT or CBI tourneys) and football has not been able to do that yet. This has been done in four years. Its actually amazing that this has taken off so fast, and the entire team is back next season.

Enjoy the moment!

Last edited:
Enjoy the moment!

This.

Before this season began, when you looked at our roster (nobody knew anything about Williams, George, Watson, West) any reasonable person would have said 20 wins this year would be a vast over achievement. Playing in the NIT? Playing in the NCAA tournament? Are you kidding?

Yet here we all are. Talking about legit basketball in mid-March.

For the first time in a long, long, time our guys have a chance to play for a National Championship. Thats a credit to the coaches, staff and players.

On a philosophical level, isn't this fun? Having a chance (albeit incredibly small) to actually play for the trophy. The football setup makes it impossible for a team in our league (or any other G5) to have that opportunity. But in basketball there are 68 teams who are all 0-0 with a chance.

This.

Before this season began, when you looked at our roster (nobody knew anything about Williams, George, Watson, West) any reasonable person would have said 20 wins this year would be a vast over achievement. Playing in the NIT? Playing in the NCAA tournament? Are you kidding?

Yet here we all are. Talking about legit basketball in mid-March.

For the first time in a long, long, time our guys have a chance to play for a National Championship. Thats a credit to the coaches, staff and players.

On a philosophical level, isn't this fun? Having a chance (albeit incredibly small) to actually play for the trophy. The football setup makes it impossible for a team in our league (or any other G5) to have that opportunity. But in basketball there are 68 teams who are all 0-0 with a chance.
That's why March madness is so popular IMO. At least you have a chance. Odds may be stacked against you but you control your own destiny. Like you said, in football the elites say no way, we know better now move along. Can you imagine a 16 team playoff like we had in 1aa? Wow and imagine any current G5 school getting to the final 4 with wins on the field- now how crazy would that be? Sure it would be extremely hard and maybe they are right.... maybe impossible in the current setup, but boy that would be fun to at least have the chance.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
What AllEer6, ninegate, and socalherd said. 100%. I want EVERY SPORTS PROGRAM, and for that matter, every other aspect of my alma mater to be as good as it can be.

If the goal in sports at our level is reasonable success, then let us say that making a bowl game and the NCAA tournament, then that puts tiny Marshall University, an underfunded, overburdened and belittled college in a rusting town in a rusted state, among the three that did that from the G5 if I have that figured out right (Houston and New Mexico State).

Good job, Dan, Doc and Mike. All three.

Reactions: tradebait
What AllEer6, ninegate, and socalherd said. 100%. I want EVERY SPORTS PROGRAM, and for that matter, every other aspect of my alma mater to be as good as it can be.

If the goal in sports at our level is reasonable success, then let us say that making a bowl game and the NCAA tournament, then that puts tiny Marshall University, an underfunded, overburdened and belittled college in a rusting town in a rusted state, among the three that did that from the G5 if I have that figured out right (Houston and New Mexico State).

Good job, Dan, Doc and Mike. All three.

Well said, I just wish Doc spent a little more time recruiting WV kids and less of the problems.

I mean Dan took a way under the radar kid like CJ Burks and made him a rock star. I think this state has a lot of these types who just don't get a chance. I still hope the kid from Wheeling pans out, and think maybe a redshirt would have helped him develop more. The thing is Dan takes the time to look at these kids and give them a chance. Example. Will Fenton the walkon hoops player was stud high school QB and would have liked to have had a shot on the football team as a walkon but he really never heard back but Dan took the time.

Reactions: chuck1069
How many coaches have made it to the BIG DANCE with in the first four years of becoming a college head coach? Or is Coach Dan the first one?

Greg Marshall (Herd Asst 1996--98) for one (Winthrop).
In Greg's first season as Head Coach at Winthrop (1998), he led the Eagles to a 19-8 (9-1 Big South) season earning Winthrop their first ever NCAA tournament bid.

Zilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
From the report I read he gets an added $40 for getting into the NCAA tournament. I wouldn't be surprised that he shares some of that with his staff.

Herdmeister.
...add another $35K to that number......More $$$ when The HERD upsets both WS & the eeers on Sunday. Dan signed for about $250K four years ago [real bargain for Marshall] and has earned raises since then. He had brother Mark put in incentive$ when he & his staff got Marshall into the NCAA or NIT.

That's why he & Van are "going to Disney World." he he he...Wonder if he will take me? LOL

HerdZilla22

Okay... maybe a bit too hard on Doc. I dont dislike him and think he is a good match for the program. Pretty certain he is not a GREAT coach. Here are my problems... kids are in trouble a lot, 75% of his highly touted recruits never see graduation and probably 60% dont see the field, he is just not very personable (reminds me of Donnan in that regard), and loses games we shouldnt lose. Other than that, he's not too bad. :)

Socalherd....please don't interpret this as "name dropping".....but, I first met Doc, Tom Herron & Mike Hamrick in June 2010 at our first Alumni (Charlotte) Golf Fund raiser. I had 5-bypass heart surgery in May and was still rehabbing in June. It was hot as Hell, therefore, I rode in a golf cart with Doc & sometimes with Tom. Our conversation [Doc] was mostly sports, his farm, his background, etc...laced with a lot of curse words....LOL. He is a true cowboy personality and "Doc" is perfect for his first name. Another reason I refer to Doc as a Bulldog; Danny as a Golden Retriever. Tom H. was very engaging and without fail when Anne & I returned to Marshall, Tom stopped what he was doing to chat with us when we dropped by his office. Mike H. has always been kind to me. I don't knock them, because my respect to folks I meet is dictated by how they treat me. Nothing more--nothing less!

I have visited a few Marshall Alumni fund raisers in other cities when Doc & Mike were present. They always take the time to ask me how I am doing (health wise), how my family is getting along. It means a lot to me they are cordial. Funny story about the golf fund raiser in Charlotte, June of 2010. We stopped near the nicest & largest house of the golf course to take pictures in the back yard. I told all three that is my house. I HERD them later saying...."that guy need$ to pledge more money!"

I never told them the truth! he he he he.

I too agree our football program has the issues you report. However, Marshall is up against stiff recruiting competition...and I assume Doc has do the best he can to get players into school. I support this is why he has a "short lease" with certain players & sends them packing when they mess up! Just my honest opinion.....

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Like I said... I think Doc is a good match - stability to the coaching position, wins games, son of the great state of WV. He checks a lot of boxes. If we cleaned up those few issue I raised (and in honesty, we had some of the same things with Coach Pruett) I just think we would be viewed as a much better program nationally instead of "Second Chance U" which is our reputation.

AGREE......

Zilla22

Like I said... I think Doc is a good match - stability to the coaching position, wins games, son of the great state of WV. He checks a lot of boxes. If we cleaned up those few issue I raised (and in honesty, we had some of the same things with Coach Pruett) I just think we would be viewed as a much better program nationally instead of "Second Chance U" which is our reputation.

Alot of those issues have been cleared up in the last 3 recruiting classes in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT