ADVERTISEMENT

Reason #1 Why Marshall FB Rebounds from Last Season

JudgeDD

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2010
A New (Coach) Day

There were many factors that contributed to last season's crash. As others have identified, the loss of Scott Sinclair may have been one of those factors. Here's my take:

Luke Day is good. I mean real good. Marshall is very fortunate to have him on this staff. I have no doubt that our players will always be as strong, conditioned, and game-ready as any team in our conference. Where Marshall missed Coach Sinclair last season, though, was in the toughness of the team. Sinclair used a drill-sergeant like approach, where Day brought a more positive atmosphere. Some of the things Sinclair did went against things I've been taught - and even common sense - but you can't argue with the toughness of the teams he produced. There was just an edge to those teams. Day, perhaps, was influenced by his season in the NFL - it is certainly different coaching and motivating pros/millionaires than it is 18-23 year old college students. I believe the difference in coaching styles hurt Marshall when players were faced with adversity on the field.

As I said, Coach Day is an outstanding strength coach. And being a top-notch coach, he and his staff made the appropriate adjustments in their approach to address the shortcomings of the previous season. This past off-season had a different intensity - a gutty and challenging style that more resembled that of Sinclair, but still incorporated the positive feel and intrinsic motivation Day brought here in January 16. I think this group, under Day's leadership, has found the right balance between cracking the whip, demanding intensity, and encouraging a team-concept where athletes both push and support each other, all without cultivating a negative environment.

Coach Luke Day is one reason why I think Marshall Football will rebound from last season.

good post - thanks.....just from little things i've seen and heard, seems like you're spot on that coach day has learned and adjusted.....football is a team sport / blame and praise belong to everyone......but if one or two pieces of any unit gets out of sync the whole thing is impacted.....all indications are that the unit as a whole is clicking again - go herd!

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I just hope your son and the starting 5 stay healthy. The health and consistency of the OL is key to our success this year. Jmo

Reactions: tradebait
I've got an optimistic feeling about this season. Hearing and reading good things.

Not predicting anything spectacular, just a 7/8 win regular season.

Judge I like your avatar! I'm a PSU guy and my oldest son is a Herd man. I follow both teams. I haven't been on here the past 2 years or so life just got busy but I enjoyed going to Marshall games before he graduated. Hopefully I'll make it out for another game soon. We Are...

Reactions: 19MU88 and oldeherd
Judge I like your avatar! I'm a PSU guy and my oldest son is a Herd man. I follow both teams. I haven't been on here the past 2 years or so life just got busy but I enjoyed going to Marshall games before he graduated. Hopefully I'll make it out for another game soon. We Are...

Glad you like it. My older son played there and my younger son plays here. At least this season I can make more Marshall games.

I'm glad to see the team and staff evolving in the right direction. The most important coach may not be the one calling the plays but doing everything you don't see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT