ADVERTISEMENT

Report Card.

Thankfully, they did actually, finish strong in the years later.
I guess you are now veering away from the “playing for championships” standard?
2016 - disaster 3-9
2017 - didn’t even win division
2018 - didn’t even win division
2019 - didn’t even win division
*2020 - COVID - beat App, team brawl erupts in the locker room, spills out into the parking lot. ++
Team quit during the Rice game,
embarrassing throttling in the conf champ game to UAB, loss to Buffalo in the bowl game.
Yeah Skippy, Doc’s last four campaigns were super strong finishes!!! You dim wit.
Oh, but Doc did grab CoY award, so there is that…….
++ - Sam is still waiting for video evidence of a fight. Pssst - it’s in a locked box over at the baseball field!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
If there is one defense of Doc and those teams, at least most he lost were actually good. Some were not. It's the same defense for Snyder I'll give. He's a terrible HC but the schedule he had was absolutely brutal.
Cincy, you mean the year they began to become a powerhouse?
WKU, when they were at their all time best?
Oh, and don't act like WKU didn't come to Marshall and embarrass us while Huff coached.
As for Rice? Horrible loss, I won't argue that.

So where does MU, who just beat ND the week prior, then losing to BG, rank on worst/embarrassing losses list?
ECU? MTSU?
You act like this current coaching staff hasn't had any bad losses in their history either.
BG is bad because MU just proved they had the caliber of players, coaches, schemes, etc, to beat one of the top ranked teams in the country.
Even with a loss to BG, the team couldn't get to where they are expected to be, playing for a championship.
Consistency is very difficult, no question.. But Huff has been an HC two years. Doc didn't have a winning regular season until year 4. Doc, like Huff inherited a bowl team.
Let's see what he does in year 3. Every coach we have had, had embarrassing losses, even the great BP.
Doc just had more of them.

As said, the man brought us consistently and won a title. Appreciative of that.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I guess you are now veering away from the “playing for championships” standard?
2016 - disaster 3-9
2017 - didn’t even win division
2018 - didn’t even win division
2019 - didn’t even win division
*2020 - COVID - beat App, team brawl erupts in the locker room, spills out into the parking lot. ++
Team quit during the Rice game,
embarrassing throttling in the conf champ game to UAB, loss to Buffalo in the bowl game.
Yeah Skippy, Doc’s last four campaigns were super strong finishes!!! You dim wit.
Oh, but Doc did grab CoY award, so there is that…….
++ - Sam is still waiting for video evidence of a fight. Pssst - it’s in a locked box over at the baseball field!
Let’s put this “We Play for Championships” slogan to rest.

Hey, just using your abject failure of logic about ditching the motto that any AD would look at, laugh you out of the room, and ask your family to consider a home with more round the clock care.
I do feel your comments on here are more of a reflection of joy that you can, for now, understand the internet at your age rather than anything that can contribute to the discussions.
I mean, it must feel like a party every time you remember your login information and can click the mouse on the right button to post on here.

The sad thing is Huff may be gone and never have actually played for a championship here.
Two years in and he's already trying to get out.
You may actually get your wish after all.

Consistency is very difficult, no question.. But Huff has been an HC two years. Doc didn't have a winning regular season until year 4. Doc, like Huff inherited a bowl team.
Let's see what he does in year 3. Every coach we have had, had embarrassing losses, even the great BP.
Doc just had more of them.

As said, the man brought us consistently and won a title. Appreciative of that.

Considering you're more of an adult and far less cringe at attempts of wit and humor than the other guy, I'll actually discuss your post with you.

I agree with you, and I bet a big part of MU's appeal to the SBC was specifically, it's consistency.
Compare MU to others who had 1 or 2 years of success, then absolutely sh*t the bed for the next decade.
MU had one really bad season and managed to turn it around. Given what MU has in terms of, everything, that's impressive.
I'm not sure if Doc had wanted to leave, MU could have sustained itself with consistency. Kudos to him for that.

To your other points;

Doc brought in a completely new system, coordinators, etc., and the team had to adjust to it.
That sort of thing takes 2 years or so. Either Huff or Doc should have been given the pass (more on that later) if the team needed to adjust.
Doc inherited a team that barely got bowl eligible and had a winning record because the DC coached the bowl game.

Huff kept the team largely intact with the offense and he didn't have as much to change.
Huff inherited a team that beat a ranked App State team and played in its conference championship just prior.

There is a bit of a contrast with what either received, but I digress.

A winning regular season, that's a very weird way to spin it...considering both of their first winning seasons are identical winning records with Doc's being year two and Huff's being year one.
But looking at it using your words, Doc got MU to the title game, playing for a championship.
Huff? 3rd in the East finish.

Doc, who was about what you'd expect a new HC with a whole new system/players to be.
He actually could say the team needs time and the system, players, etc. So he could get a bit of a pass and he got one.
The result?
Year 4 is a winning season, title game appearance, and bowl win.

Huff may have been a victim of his own success since people are going to look at the ND win and ridicule him when he can't win the division or conference...having won a little too much, a little too early.
He really can't say the team needs time and the team is young anymore, since that team played like a top 5 in the country in just his 2nd year.

My question is, is it justified for that sort of expectation and should Huff get a pass?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT